+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2526272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Re: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

The 18th American Top 40 show with Casey Kasem. Aired October 31, 1970

Holding steady at 31 stations playing the countdown, no new stations added the show this week.

40) For the Good Times - Ray Price
    After 21 years on the Country Charts, this will be Ray’s 1 & only foray into the Pop Charts. It will spend 14 weeks on the chart & peak out at #11. It will, however be a #1 Country Song. Written by Kris Kristofferson.

39) Unite the World - The Temptations

38) You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me - Elvis Presley
    Every time Elvis has a new chart hit, he sets another record for the most. This is the 116th time he has charted a song. It is going to stop at #11, but will get to #1 on the Adult Contemporary Chart. The song was a #4 hit for Dusty Springfield in 1964.

37) Make it Easy on Yourself - Dionne Warwick

36) Heaven Help Us All - Stevie Wonder

35) Share the Land - The Guess Who
    This is the band’s 9th Top 40 hit & it will be their 4th Top 10 hit as it goes all the way to #10 spending a total of 8 weeks on the chart. A Burton Cummings solo effort.

34) As The Years Go By - Mashmakhan
    This was a four man band from Montreal Canada. This song is going to be their only Top 40 entry & a not very successful one at that. It is going to peak at # 31 & stay on the chart only 4 weeks.

33) Let’s Work Together - Canned Heat
    This is the 3rd & last Top 40 hit for the group. It is going to get as high as #26 before stalling out. It hit’s the Top 40 two months after the death of lead guitar player Alan “Blind Owl” Wilson. Written by Wilbert Harrison.

32) Julie Do You Love Me - Bobby Sherman

31) Ain’t No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross
    ***This was the only song by a solo Female artist to be a #1 hit in 1970.

30) Our House - CSN&Y

29) Lucretia Mac Evil - Blood Sweat & Tears

28) Yellow River - Christie
    ***Casey states that this is the 2nd week on the charts for this song, when it is the 3rd.

27) Look What They’ve Done to My Song Ma- New Seekers

26) See Me Feel Me - The Who

25) Stand By Your Man - Candi Staton

24) Deeper & Deeper - Freda Payne
    ***1 of 7 songs that had no movement on the chart

23) Engine Number Nine - Wilson Pickett

22) God, Love & Rock & Roll - Teegarden & VanWinkle

21) Express Yourself - Charles Wright

20) El Condor Pasa - Simon & Garfunkel

19) Super Bad - James Brown

18) Gypsy Woman - Brian Hyland

17) Cry Me a River - Joe Cocker

16) It’s Only Make Believe - Glen Campbell

15) Still Water (Love) - Four Tops

14) Montego Bay - Bobby Bloom

13) Tears of a Clown - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

12) Somebody’s Been Sleeping - 100 Proof Aged In Soul

11) It Don’t Matter to Me - Bread

10) Lola - The Kinks

9) Candida - Dawn
    ***Casey must really hate this group. For the second week in a row & 3rd time in four weeks he misidentifies the members stating it is 4 guys.
    ***Certified Million seller

8) Cracklin Rosie - Neil Diamond
    ***Certified Million Seller

7) I Think I Love You - The Partridge Family

6) All Right Now - Free
    ***1 of 9 foreign acts this week.

5) Indiana Wants Me - R. Dean Taylor

4) Green Eyed Lady - Sugarloaf

3) Fire & Rain - James Taylor

2) We’ve Only Just Begun - The Carpenters

1) I’ll Be There - Jackson Five

New Songs this week:
    38) You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me - Elvis Presley
    35) Share the Land - The Guess Who

Songs disappearing this week:
    Do What You Wanna Do - Five Flights Up
    Lookin Out My Backdoor - Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Snowbird - Anne Murray
    I’m Losing You - Rare Earth
    Out in the Country - Three Dog Night
    ***Five Flights Up will not be heard from again. Three Dog Night will be back in December, Rare Earth will return in January, CCR will return in February, but it will be 2 ½ years before Anne Murray makes her next appearance.

Biggest Gainer:

18) Gypsy Woman - Brian Hyland Up 17 spots

Biggest Loser:
    31) Ain’t No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross down 15 spots

One Hit Wonders:
    28) Yellow River - Christie
    22) God, Love & Rock & Roll - Teegarden & VanWinkle
    14) Montego Bay - Bobby Bloom
    12) Somebody’s Been Sleeping 100 Proof Aged In Soul
    6) All Right Now - Free

Debut Single:
    27) Look What They’ve Done to My Song Ma- New Seekers
    25) Stand By Your Man - Candi Staton
    7) I Think I Love You - The Partridge Family
    4) Green Eyed Lady - Sugarloaf

Last Single:
    30) Our House - CSN&Y
    21) Express Yourself - Charles Wright
    18) Gypsy Woman - Brian Hyland

Oldies Played

The song with the second longest chart presence with 38 weeks in the Top 100. It reached #2 in 1957.
    So Rare - The Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra

Interestingly enough the song with the longest reign on the Top 100 charts was also from 1957. This was the first chart hit for Johnny Mathis & even though it spent a record 39 weeks on the charts it would only get as high as #17.
    Wonderful Wonderful - Johnny Mathis

Album Cut:

For the second week in a row the top selling album in the country is Led Zeppelin III. This week Casey plays Gallows Pole.

Commercials

MGM is still hyping the Mike Curb Congregation & their song Burning Bridges using 6 30 sec. commercials on the song.

Station Recognition:

AT Top 40 is heard weekly on great radio stations like:

KMEN - San Bernardino Ca.
    KSEL - Lubbock Tx.
    KTSA - San Antonio Tx.

Keep Your Feet on the ground & keep reaching for the stars!

Here are the #’1s on the other Billboard charts this week:

Top Jazz LP - Bitches Brew - Miles Davis

Top Soul Single - I’ll Be There - Jackson Five

Top Soul LP - Third Album - Jackson Five

Top Country Single - I Can’t Believe That You’ve Stopped Loving Me - Charley Pride

Top Country LP - Fightin Side of Me - Merle Haggard

Top Easy Listening Single - We’ve Only Just Begun - The Carpenters

Top Selling LP - Led Zeppelin III

Bubbling Under The Top 100 -
    We Gotta Get You A Woman - Todd Rundgren
    Mr. Bojangles - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
    Me About You - The Turtles
    Paranoid - Black Sabbath
    Domino - Van Morrison

Rolling Stone Issue 75

Dated February 4, 1970. John & Yoko on the cover. Another cover shot by Annie Leibovitz

Part II of the John Lennon Interview:

Asked “What part did you play in songs that are heavily identified with Paul.
    Yesterday: “Yesterday, I had nothing to do with.”
    Eleanor Rigby: “Eleanor Rigby, I wrote a good half of the lyrics.”

Asked about cover versions:
    Ike & Tina Turners Come Together “ I think they could have done it better, they did a better Honky Tonk Woman.”
    Ray Charles’ Yesterday “That was quite nice”
    Otis Reddings’ Day Tripper “ I don’t think he did a very good job.”
    Jose Feliciano’s Help - “ He did a quite nice job of it.”

He wrote Nowhere Man about himself. Other songs he wrote by himself, You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away, I’m A Loser, & Norwegian Wood which he says was written about an affair he was having without trying to tell his wife what the song was about. In My Life was a favorite. He gives Paul some credit for helping with Norwegian Wood & In My Life. He didn’t like Run For Your life, but did like Girl. Happiness Is A Warm Gun he calls one of his best ever. & he got the idea from the title of an article in a gun magazine that George Martin had.

Songs he really considers as true Lennon/McCartney collaborations, I Want To Hold Your Hand, From Me To You, She Loves You.

Random Notes

James Taylor was scheduled to play Madison Square Garden on March 8th. However, he got bumped due to a somewhat bigger act. The Ali Frasier Championship fight has taken priority. James is being moved to March 10th.

Some tour news:

Joni Mitchell doing only 3 shows, in Boston, Philly, & at Carnegie Hall.

Savoy Brown, The Small Faces (with Rod Stewart), & The Grease Band (without Joe Cocker) are planning a tour together beginning in February.

The Bee Gees are scheduled for 5 shows & a bunch of TV appearances.

Bobby Sherman & his band The Sugar Bears are touring much to the delight of squealing girls everywhere.

Captain Beefheart will be touring with Ry Cooder as his opener for a months worth of shows.

Speaking of Captain Beefheart, KTTV, in LA has refused to air a 30 second commercial for his newest album titled Lick My Decals Off Baby. Station management has declared it obscene.

If anyone knows a good bass player, contact Leon Russell. He needs one.

Columbia Records has been honored as the record company of the year, having garnered 21 Gold Records (16 albums & 5 singles)

This review of Led Zeppelin III has appeared in the Santa Barbara News Press…”Yes Led Zeppelin has a rhythm that is unbeatable, & a polish & feel for their music that makes you want to hear it again - plus one of the best girl singers in the business.”….. Talk about missing the boat.

Paul McCartney is suing the other 3 former Beatles, & Apple Corps. Ltd. Asking that all partnerships be wrapped up & accounts settled.

Shirley Bassey is pissed at George Harrison because he didn’t send her a thank you note for making Something a world wide hit.

Mountain has just sold out The Fillmore East 6 nights in a row, ending with a New Years Eve gig. The critics, however, don’t particularly see the musicality to their act. To which Felix Papalardi says “ Those that compare us to Grand Funk are full of Sh**. Here’s a bit of trivia, the band says the name of their album Nantucket Sleighride comes from the ride whalers use to describe the 30 mile excursion they have to take while a harpooned whale dies.

It is predicted that the next big band out of Boston, after four years of honing their craft will be the J. Geils Band. They have just completed their first album, it took all of 3 days in the studio, & it is ready for release in the next few weeks. Their first professed fan is Muddy Waters.

There is a profile on the Youngbloods. We find out the band is mostly from Boston, except New Yorker & leader Jesse Colin Young, but they now reside in N. Ca. just outside San Francisco in Marin County. Jesse himself grew up in Queens & was born as Perry Miller, he changed his name sometime during college.
    Jesse met a folk singer from Georgia by the name of Jerry Corbitt in 1965 & the formation of the group had begun. By the time of this article, however, Jerry had departed due to differences in musical styles in the band.
    They moved to Cambridge & met a piano player by the name of Lowell Levinger, but Lowell is better known under the name of Banana. He had come from a bluegrass background & once played in a band called Banana & His Bunch. Another member of that band was a guitar player named Michael Kane who would also become a part of the Youngbloods.
    Joe Bauer was a drummer that just so happened to live downstairs from Kane & his name was thrown around until they all decided he was a fit with the group.
    There is a legendary story, retold here, about a show the band held in Charleston W.Va., Jesse wasn’t feeling well, but instead of opting out, he went on, played the entire set, two encores, & a couple of hours later was in the hospital having his appendix removed.

Ben Fong Torres presents Grand Funk:

Grand Funk (the album) Certified Gold 7/670
    Closer To Home Gold 8/21/70
    On Time Gold 8/21/70
    Live Album Certified a Million $ Seller the day of release
    They sold 40,000 tickets for 2 shows at Madison Square Garden in 2 days (this obviously was before the days of computers). Total Gross $200K
    In 1970 the grossed more than $2 million in record sales & concert tickets.

All this despite a consistently brutal reception by the critics & the press corp. And now they are off on their first European tour.

Steppenwolf & Three Dog Night have filed separate but similar lawsuits against Dunhill records seeking “termination of contract, for an accounting, for imposition of trust, & for an injunction.” TDN claims they were underpaid royalties to the tune of $200,000, Steppenwolf says they are owed over $100,000.

Ads for groups or albums this issue:

Quicksilver - What About Me

The Velvet Underground - Loaded

Tom Rush - Wrong End of the Rainbow

The Butterfield Blues Band - Live (produced by Todd Rundgren)

Gary Wright - Extraction

Laura Nyro - Christmas & The Beads of Sweat

Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman

Incredible String Band - U

Spirit - 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus

The Brinsley Schwarz Album

Ballinjack - Ballinjack

ZZ Top - ZZ Top’s First Album

Album Reviews:

Van Morrison - His Band & The Street Choir
    This is another phase in the continuing development of one of the few originals left in rock. In his own mysterious way Van Morrison continues to shake his head, strum his guitar, & sing his songs. He knows it’s to late to stop now & he quit trying to a long long time ago. Meanwhile, the song he is singing keeps getting better & better. Van Morrison, Rock On!…Jon Landau

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Pendulum
    This is yet another promising yet unsatisfying album from Americas best singles band. The tunes are good, the lyrics adequate with a few exceptions, & the musicianship of everyone has improved. The flaws lie not in the album’s technical qualities but in it’s stiffness….Jon Landau

Ten Years After - Watt
    Flashy fingers & a pretty face Alvin Lee may indeed possess, but he certainly is a blushing apology for a song writer, a singer & a producer. Under any circumstances Watt sounds like an entirely dispensable album. As for the music, it is mostly deathly predictable. Ric Lee’s drumming is astonishingly dull, Leo Lyons contents himself with slugging out unison bass lines, Alvin’s lead riffs, & Chick Churchill’s piano lines are only frequently discernable….John Mendelsohn

Little Feat - Little Feat
    Little Feat is quite a complex group with many extraordinary things to say, & the little taste they give us here will, hopefully, be expanded on in the future. I think I’ve played this album 50 times since I got it & it just keeps getting better. That’s no little feat indeed….Ed Ward

Ginger Bakers Air Force - II
    This is one of the saddest examples of dispirited musicianship & wasted potential this year. This album falls on it’s face, with, to my mind, a much hollower thud than it’s ragged predecessor….Lester Bangs

Other albums reviewed:

Judy Collins - Whales & Nightengales

Buddy Miles - We’ve Got To Live Together

Love - False Start

Elvis Pressley - That’s The Way It Is

Ry Cooder - Ry Cooder

Nico - Desert Shore

The Incredible String Band - U

Matthews Southern Comfort - Second Spring

Brewer & Shipley - Tarkio Road

Donald Byrd - Electric Byrd

Albums Expected in the near future.

Leon Russell - Accident

Janis Joplin - Pearl

Carly Simon - as yet it remains untitled

For anyone that may be interested, Barnes & Noble has this RS DVD set on sale for $24.98

The 19th American Top 40 show with Casey Kasem. Aired November 7, 1970

For the third week in a row the show is holding steady at 31 stations playing the countdown, no new stations added the show this week.

40) Heed The Call - Kenny Rogers & The First Edition
    You can tell from this single that the group was at wits end. This will be their last chart appearance before Kenny leaves. It is going only as high as #33 & will spend only 5 weeks on the countdown.

39) I Am Somebody - Johnnie Taylor
    In a week of weak new songs, this is yet another. It is going to spend only 2 weeks on the chart & gain only 1 more spot before dropping out of sight.

38) For The Good Times - Ray Price
    *** His second week on the pop charts, but 22nd on the Country Chart.

37) Lucretia Mac Evil - Blood Sweat & Tears

36) God, Love & Rock & Roll- Teegarden & VanWinkel

35) After Midnight - Eric Clapton
    His first chart hit as a solo artist. This song will go to #18 & stick around for 8 weeks. And it will be the first of many covers from Eric of songs written by J.J. Cale.

34) Our House - CSN&Y

33) El Condor Pasa - Simon & Garfunkle

32) As Years Go By - Mashmakhan
    ***1 of 3 Canadian acts on the survey

31) Let’s Work Together - Canned Heat

30) 5,10,15,20(25,30 Years of Love) - The Presidents
    This will be the only chart appearance by this 3 man R&B group out of Washington D.C.. It will just miss out on the Top 10 as it stalls out at #11.

29) Look What They’ve Done to My Song Ma- New Seekers

28) Share The Land - Guess Who

27) Deeper & Deeper - Freda Payne

26) Yellow River - Chrisite
    ***A #1 hit in England last May

25) See Me Feel Me - The Who

24) Stand By Your Man - Candi Staton

23) Express Yourself - Charles Wright

22) You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me - Elvis Presley

21) It’s Only Make Believe - Glen Campbell

20) Heaven Help Us All - Stevie Wonder

19) Engine Number Nine - Wilson Pickett

18) Still Water (Love) - Four Tops

17) Candida - Dawn

16) Lola - The Kinks

15) Super Bad - James Brown

14) Cracklin Rosie - Neil Diamond

13) Montego Bay - Bobby Bloom

12) All Right Now - Free

11) Cry Me A River - Joe Cocker

10) It Don’t Matter To Me - Bread

9) Gypsy Woman - Brian Hyland

8) Somebody’s Been Sleeping - 100 Proof Aged in Soul

7) Tears of a Clown - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

6) Green Eyed Lady - Sugarloaf

***The second of three, solo, male, Taylor’s on this weeks chart.

4) I Think I Love You - The Partridge Family
    ***10 years ago, in 1960, Shirley Jones won the OSCAR for portraying a prostitute in the movie Elmer Gantry.

1) I’ll Be There - The Jackson Five
    ***This is the 5th week at #1 for this song, setting a record for the most weeks at #1 for the Motown label.

New Songs this week:
    40) Heed The Call - Kenny Rogers & The First Edition
    39) I Am Somebody - Johnnie Taylor

Unite the World - The Temptations
    Make it Easy on Yourself - Dionne Warwick
    Julie Do You Love Me - Bobby Sherman
    Ain’t no Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross
    ***Diana will reappear next January, Bobby Sherman & The Temptations in February, but it will be 4 ½ years before Dionne Warwick has her next chart hit.

Biggest Gainer:
    22) You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me - Elvis Presley Up 16 spots
    20) Heaven Help Us All - Stevie Wonder Up 16 spots

Biggest Loser:
    36) God, Love & Rock & Roll- Teegarden & VanWinkel down 14 spots

One Hit Wonders:
    38) For The Good Times - Ray Price
    36) God, Love & Rock & Roll- Teegarden & VanWinkel
    32) As Years Go By - Mashmakhan
    26) Yellow River - Chrisite
    13) Montego Bay - Bobby Bloom
    12) All Right Now - Free

Debut Single:
    29) Look What They’ve Done to My Song Ma- New Seekers
    24) Stand By Your Man - Candi Staton
    6) Green Eyed Lady - Sugarloaf
    4) I Think I Love You - The Partridge Family

Last Single:
    40) Heed The Call - Kenny Rogers & The First Edition (Kenny will soon become a solo act)
    34) Our House - CSN&Y
    31) Let’s Work Together - Canned Heat
    23) Express Yourself - Charles Wright

Oldies Played

For the first time ever Casey plays a song to settle a bet. The question was which female singer is the youngest to ever have a #1 hit. One persons says Brenda Lee the other says Dodie Stevens. The correct answer was Brenda Lee, but, Dodie had a #3 hit in 1959 that became the first million seller for a female solo singer:
    Pink Shoelaces - Dodie Stevens

A recording session was going on in Norfolk, Va.. The lead singer of the group was being a jerk & the producer fired him on the spot. Left without a singer, he went out on the sidewalk & grabbed the first guy walking by. The guy finished the recording & even though that song didn’t become a hit, it did launch the career of one Gary U.S. Bonds. Here’s his first hit single from 1960.
    New Orleans

Album Cut:
    For the 3rd week in a row Led Zepplin III is the top selling album & for the second of those 3 weeks Immigrant Song is played as the single getting the most action from the album.

Commercials:
    6 more commercials for the new Mike Curb song, Burning Bridges. They haven’t helped the song yet, but they’re trying.

Station Recognition:

WAIR -Winston Salem .NC
    KINT - El Paso, Tx.
    WCBM - Baltimore, Md.
    WFLI - Chattanooga, Tn.

Top Jazz LP - The Isacc Hayes Movement

Top Soul Single - I’ll Be There - Jackson Five

Top Country Single - I Can’t Believe That You’ve Stopped Loving Me - Charley Pride

One Man Band - Three Dog Night
    Mr. Bojangles - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
    Rose Garden - Lynn Anderson

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2718772;
    Thanks MRD for responding. I have to admit some disappointment that no one else has had any thoughts on this stuff. It was getting pretty lonely in this thread. I would have thought that others would have had some thoughts or memories to share. I know there are many out there that lived through some of this stuff & have opinions, maybe they just don't remember them. As the saying goes, if you remember the 60's you weren't there.
    As Bob Hope used to say, "Thanks for the memories!"

This is as far as I have gotten in this thread, but I remember the music of the 60s and my long ago childhood.
    Some of the groups' names I don't know, and occasionally I have to pause and let my mind pull up a tune to match a title, but I am following right on along!

What is so compelling is to read what is written (in the present tense) with hind sight knowledge. What a fascinating perspective!

Those were rowdy, wild, turbulant times and lest people today think that it's the bands of current times that can behave so poorly, they only have to read of the Who kicked off their flight to Australia.

Thanks again for taking the time to recap these articles. I am enjoying the look back!
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

Rolling Stone Issue 76 PG.34

Dated Feb. 18, 1971. James Taylor on the cover.

The article is as much about the Taylor family as it is specifically about James. The title is The First Family of the New Rock. Alec, the oldest Taylor sibling has a first album due in January & a tour beginning in Feb. Kate, 21, also has an album scheduled for January & a tour announcement is imminent. 20 yr. old Livingston, has already sold 120,000 albums & has just finished filming 4 separate TV appearances. The baby of the family is named Hugh. At, 18, he is referred to by his siblings as the best in the family, but he wants nothing of the entertainment business so therefore remains a carpenter.

James attended a private school named Milton. He was nicknamed moose because he was so ungainly. Instead of playing sports, he preferred to stay in his room & play guitar. During his senior year, he lapsed into depression & was placed in McLean Hospital which was a mental institution. This was the same hospital that housed Ray Charles in his attempt to kick drugs. Livingston & Kate would also check themselves in within the next year. James would eventually become the only person in History to escape the facility without doctors OK. He would make his way to NYC where he really got into writing the Blues, & unfortunately heroin.

He moved to London, went to recording studios to cut demos, & auditioned for Peter Asher of Peter & Gordon fame. Peter, at the time was working for Apple & with the blessing of Paul McCartney, Peter signed James to his first recording contract. During his stay in London, not only did he remain a junkie, but he also began to shoot speedballs made up of smack & meth. He kicked the habit a few months later with the British equivalent to methadone.

On his return form London, he checked himself into another mental hospital. This time it was a place called Austin Riggs & while there he wrote the song Sunny Skies. The article ends as James makes his way back to Marthas Vineyard where the rest of the family is, but all is not exactly right. On the substance fight, he ends this particular interview with a nightcap that includes most of a fifth of Glenlivett, 3 beers, 3 scotch rocks, & a tequilla shooter. Even with all this alcohol he readily admits he doesn’t much like drinking, he calls himself a druggie & says he still dabbles in pot, hash, uppers, downers, opium, cocaine, acid & mescaline. James is a troubled young man.

Random Notes

Grace Slick & Paul Kantner are the proud parents of god. Mother & baby are doing well.

Rumor is that David Geffen is starting yet another label to be called Phoenix. First artist is a guy that has been floating around LA for a couple of years, but is finally going to get his shot at recording. His name is Jackson Browne.

John Baldry whose group Steam Packet enjoyed some pretty good success in London with ex members Rod Stewart & Elton John has apparently fallen on hard times. So, in a good will gesture, Elton & Rod have agreed to produce 1 side apiece of his next album as a thank you for his support to them.

In hopes of gaining some of the success recently enjoyed by Sha Na Na, two writers have penned a new rock musical & have named it Grease…maybe it’ll be a hit. It premiered in Chicago January 29th.

Eight men & 4 women have deliberated for 12 ½ hrs. following 17 days of testimony, to declare the Hells Angel as innocent in the stabbing death of Meredith Hunter during the Stones concert in Altamont.

Ads for groups or albums this issue:

Janis Joplin - Pearl

Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Pendulum

Seatrain - produced by George Martin

Little Feat - Little Feat

Poco - Deliverin

Yes - Time & A Word

Redbone - Potlatch

Album Reviews:

Janis Joplin - Pearl
    Whatever it’s imperfections, whether due to conception or incompletion, if you dug Janis, you’ll dig Pearl. Perhaps her most astonishing quality is mesmerizing prominent all the way through. I mean her utter possession of lyrics, as if nobody really wrote them but that they got forced out of her by immediate, emotional pressure. This was a rare gift…Jack Shadoian

Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection
    This album is interesting primarily because of the themes Taupin has taken & the melodies John has provided. The performances are fine but somehow lose the force one can envision them having in some earlier stage of production. It is still an exciting album, one I have played endlessly for a week, but it is also something of a missed opportunity. It is simpler than John’s last album, & the next time around I hope he goes all the way & gets down to nothing but the basics. He is one of the few who is good enough not to need anything else…Jon Landau

Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman
    Cat’s melodies & lyrics are disarmingly simple. He seems to fasten without effort onto tunes with a life of their own, tunes of small beginnings & large resonances. If, you’ve been listening to Donovan, Joni Mitchell et.al., then there’s no reason you shouldn’t also be listening to Cat…Ben Gerson

David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World
    Bowies music offers an experience that is as intriguing as it is chilling but only to the listener sufficiently together to withstand it’s schizophrenia. Bowie deals throughout this second album in oblique & fragmented images that are almost impenetrable separately but which convey with effectiveness an ironic & bitter sense of the world when considered together…John Mendelsohn

Three Dog Night - Naturally
    Yeah! Three Dog Night is really fun! They don’t do any of that long drawn out stuff. They don’t do any metaphysical stuff. They just do real neat songs. They make you wan to dance, or at least get up ( and that ain’t hay)…Nick Tosches

Other albums reviewed:

Laura Nyro - Christmas & the Beads of Sweat

Jerry Butler - Sings

Norman Greenbaum - Back Home Again

Tom Rush - Wrong End of the Rainbow

Quicksilver Messenger Service - What About Me

The Butterfield Blues Band - Live

Gary Wright’s Extraction

Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at Las Vegas

Eddie Harris - Free Speech

Lee Dorsey - Yes We Can

Singles Reviewed:

Diana Ross - Remember Me
    Gladys Knight - If I Were Your Woman
    Dave Edmonds - I Hear You Knocking
    Roy Brown - Love For Sale
    T Rex - Ride a White Swan

Albums Expected in the near future.

Ronnie Hawkins

Delaney & Bonnie - Motel Shot

CSN&Y - Live (due the second week of Feb.)

David Crosby & Graham Nash are both scheduled for solo albums in March

Mary Travers - her first solo project

The 20th American Top 40 show with Casey Kasem. Aired November 14, 1970

There are no reports of new stations adding the show so it looks like for the fourth week in a row the show is holding steady at 31 stations.

40) Black Magic Woman - Santana
    This song will be the 2nd consecutive Top 10 hit for the band as it heads all the way to #4. Unfortunately it will be the last time they see the Top 10 until 1999 when Carlos teams up with Rob Thomas for Smooth. The song was written by Peter Green just prior to him leaving Fleetwood Mac.

39) I Am Somebody - Johnny Taylor

38) He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother - Neil Diamond
    This song is going to stall out at #20 for Neil. It is a remake from earlier in the year, when the Hollies saw their version get to #7.

37) Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is - Chicago
    Their 3rd single & the 3rd consecutive Top 10. This one will get to #7 & like both of their previous songs will spend 11 weeks on the chart.

36) No Matter What - Badfinger
    This is the bands second hit & second Top 10 hit. This one is headed to #8. Written by their lead guitar player Pete Ham.

35) Deeper & Deeper - Freda Payne

34) Heed the Call - Kenny Rogers & The First Edition

33) For the Good Times - Ray Price

32) After Midnight - Eric Clapton

31) As Years Go By - Mashmakhan

30) It’s Only Make Believe - Glen Campbell

29) Stand By Your Man - Candi Staton

28) One Less Bell To Answer - 5th Dimension
    This song is going to go all the way to #2 & spend 2 weeks there. It will be the final excursion into Top 5 territory. Written by Hal David & Burt Bacharach…these two guys were the top songwriters for Chart Year 1970, placing 11 songs in the Top 100.

27) Let’s Work Together - Canned Heat

26) Candida - Dawn

25) Yellow River - Christie

24) See Me Feel Me - The Who

23) Lola - The Kinks

22) Stoned Love - The Supremes
    This song is going to #7 & will be the last time the girls get inside the Top 10. It will, however, get to #1 on the R&B Chart.

21) Still Water (Love) - Four Tops

20) You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me - Elvis Presley
    ***This song was a part of a double sided hit for Elvis. This week Casey played the B side called Patch it Up. This is a flat out rockin song by Elvis. Written by Eddie Rabbitt.

19) Share The Land - The Guess Who

18) 5,10,15,20 - The Presidents

17) Cracklin Rosie - Neil Diamond

16) Heaven Help Us All - Stevie Wonder

15) Engine Number Nine - Wilson Pickett

14) All Right Now - Free

13) Super Bad - James Brown

12) It Don’t Matter To Me - Bread

11) Cry Me A River - Joe Cocker

10) Montego Bay - Bobby Bloom

7) Green Eyed Lady - Sugarloaf

6) Indiana Wants Me - R. Dean Taylor

5) Fire & Rain - James Taylor

4) Tears Of A Clown - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

3) I’ll Be There - Jackson 5

1) I Think I Love You - The Partridge Family
    ***#1 in only 4 weeks….The song has also already been certified a Million Seller.

New Songs this week:
    40) Black Magic Woman - Santana
    38) He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother - Neil Diamond
    37) Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is - Chicago
    36) No Matter What - Badfinger
    28) One Less Bell To Answer - 5th Dimension
    22) Stoned Love - The Supremes

Lucretia Mac Evil - Blood Sweat & Tears
    God, Love & Rock & Roll - Teegarden & VanWinkle
    Our House - CSN&Y
    El Condor Pasa - Simon & Garfunkle
    Look What They’ve Done to My Song Ma - The New Seekers
    Express Yourself - Charles Wright
    ***Teegarden & VanWinkle, CSN&Y, & Charles Wright are making their last appearances. It will be 10 months until BS&T make their next & last appearance. The New Seekers will be back in 12 months with the Coca Cola Commercial heard around the world. Simon & Garfunkle are going to take a five year hiatus. Paul Simon will make his first solo appearance in1972, Artie in 1973.

Biggest Gainer:
    18) 5,10,15,20 - The Presidents Up 12 spots

Biggest Loser:
    30) It’s Only Make Believe - Glen Campbell Down 9 spots
    26) Candida - Dawn Down 9 spots

One Hit Wonders:
    33) For the Good Times - Ray Price
    31) As Years Go By - Mashmakhan
    25) Yellow River - Christie
    18) 5,10,15,20 - The Presidents
    14) All Right Now - Free
    10) Montego Bay - Bobby Bloom
    6) Indiana Wants Me - R. Dean Taylor

Debut Single:
    32) After Midnight - Eric Clapton
    29) Stand By Your Man - Candi Staton
    7) Green Eyed Lady - Sugarloaf
    5) Fire & Rain - James Taylor

Last Single:
    34) Heed the Call - Kenny Rogers & The First Edition
    27) Let’s Work Together - Canned Heat

Oldies Played
    These guys used to hang around the back door to the Grand Ol Opry in hopes of just getting a chance. Once they got started they went on to become the biggest duo in rock history. The following song was a #1 hit in 1957 on all of these charts…Top 40 4 weeks, Jockey Charts 4 weeks, Top 100 2 weeks, Best Seller 1 week, Country 8 weeks & even 1 week at #1 on the R&B chart.
    Wake Up Little Suzie - Everly Brothers

Here is the very first hit from the worlds most popular pianist. Since his debut he has gone on to sell 27 million albums worldwide. A #1 hit from 1955
    Autumn Leaves - Roger Williams

At the time of this show these guys were 1 of only 5 acts to see their very first single go all the way to #1 & then never have another chart hit. From 1969
    In the Year 2525 - Zager & Evans

Album Cut:
    Immigrant Song from Led Zeppelin III is played again.

Commercials:
    6 more full 60 second commercials dedicated to Burning Bridges, it hasn’t helped yet.

Station Recognition:

WGAR -Cleveland Ohio
    WMEX - Boston Mass.
    WKDL - Clarksdale Ms.

Top Jazz LP - The Isacc Hayes Movement

Top Soul Single - Super Bad - James Brown

Top Country Single - 15 Years Ago - Conway Twitty

Your Song - Elton John
    You Can Get it if You Really Want - Desmond Dekker
    Rose Garden - Lynn Anderson
    Thank God & Greyhound - Roy Clark
    Burning Bridges - Mike Curb Congregation
    If I Were Your Woman - Gladys Knight

Merry Christmas to everyone that has been readig this thread over the past year. You may not respond, but I see the views count going up, so at least that's something.

MRD

THanks so much Razorbacker for posting all this. I haven't been able to read it as often as I used too, but I still manage to get in and catch up.
    I really love reading about the bands, artists and songs that are "just coming out" as most of them are now old favorites of mine and have been for a while.
    I think it's so cool to read the "history" of some of these debuts and what the artists were up to when certain songs or albums came out, etc.

Happy 2010 and I hope you will continue to enlighten us in the world of music.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Razor,

I don't always get to read it, either, but am so apprciative for your including it.
    Whenever I see it, it brings a smile to my face, as I remember cack in time.

Many thanks
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread