+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Re: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

The 11th American Top 40 show with Casey Kasem. Aired September 12, 1970

Playing the hits from the Boston to Honolulu, from Canada to Mexico.

40) I’ll Be There - Jackson Five
    This was their 5th single. All of the previous four would go all the way to the top & this one would do the same, spending a total of 5 weeks at the top, becoming the second biggest single of the year. (behind Bridge Over Troubled Water) It was also the #1 R&B song for 6 weeks.

39) Green Eyed Lady - Sugarloaf
    This group was from Denver, lead by singer/keyboard player Jerry Corbetta. Their debut single is going to #3 & would be the biggest of their two chart singles.

38) Everything’s Tuesday - The Chairmen of the Board

37) That’s Where I Went Wrong - Poppy Family
    The group was headed by husband & wife team of Terry & Susan Jacks. This would be their last single as marital troubles got in the way, the band broke up, both of them would pursue solo careers & he would have 1 big hit while she had none. This one is going to peak out at #29. Written by Terry Jacks.

36) Lola - The Kinks

35) Indiana Wants Me - R. Dean Taylor
    A singer/songwriter from Toronto. This would be his only chart appearance & is going to stall out at #5. At least he wrote it himself.
    *** Casey made a few errors on the show this week. After this song, he said 33 more hits to go, when obviously there were 34.

34) Look What They’ve Done To My Song Ma - The New Seekers
    This was a mashup of British & Australian members. This is their first of 3 charting singles & would go only as high as #14. Written by Melanie.

33) Out In The Country - Three Dog Night

32) Peace Will Come - Melanie
    She wrote 2 of the songs on this weeks chart.

31) Closer To Home - Grand Funk Railroad

30) Long Long Time - Linda Rondstadt
    Casey introduced her as Linda Marie Rondstadt

29) Everybody’s Got A Right To Love - The Supremes

28) Joanne - Michael Nesmith

27) Neanderthal Man - HotLegs

26) Express Yourself - Charles Wright

25) It’s A Shame - The Spinners

24) Why Can’t I Touch You - Ronnie Dyson

23) Solitary Man - Neil Diamond
    1 of 5 songs on this weeks countdown that had been a hit previously.

22) Hi De Ho - Blood Sweat & Tears

21) Hand Me Down World - Guess Who
    *** The second error of the show, when Casey said the song was up 4 spots, it was actually down 4 spots.

20) All Right Now - Free

19) Signed Sealed Delivered - Stevie Wonder

18) Rubber Duckie - Ernie/Jim Henson

17) Groovy Situation - Gene Chandler

16) Spill The Wine - Eric Burdon & War
    1 of 10 foreign acts this week.

15) I (Who Have Nothing) - Tom Jones

14) I’m Losing You - Rare Earth

13) Snowbird - Anne Murray
    The only girl in a family with 5 brothers. This may have been why she taught Physical Education until someone from the CBC heard her sing & signed her to a contract.

12) Cracklin Rosie - Neil Diamond

11) Don’t Play That Song - Aretha Franklin

10) Make It With You - Bread

9) Candida - Dawn

8) Close To You - The Carpenters

7) In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry
    ***Another error by Casey on this one as he said it debuted at #22, when it actually began at #32.

6) 25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago

5) Julie Do You Love Me - Bobby Sherman

4) Patches - Clarence Carter

3) Lookin Out My Backdoor - Creedence Clearwater Revival

2) War - Edwin Starr

1) Ain’t No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross

New Songs this week:
    40) I’ll Be There - Jackson Five

Songs disappearing this week:
    I Want to Take You Higher - Ike & Tina Turner
    Tell It All Brother - Kenny Rogers & The 1st Edition
    Get Up - James Brown
    Overture From Tommy - The Assembled Multitude
    Just Can’t Help Believing - BJ Thomas
    ***The last chart appearance for The Assembled Multitude. Everybody else will be back on the charts in just weeks.

Biggest Gainer:

26) Express Yourself - Charles Wright up 13 big spots

Biggest Loser:
    19) Signed Sealed Delivered - Stevie Wonder down 6 spots
    16) Spill The Wine - Eric Burdon & War down 6 spots

One Hit Wonders:
    28) Joanne - Michael Nesmith
    27) Neanderthal Man - HotLegs
    20) All Right Now - Free
    16) Spill The Wine - Eric Burdon & War
    7) In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry

Debut Single:
    31) Closer To Home - Grand Funk Railroad
    24) Why Can’t I Touch You - Ronnie Dyson
    18) Rubber Duckie - Ernie/Jim Henson
    13) Snowbird - Anne Murray
    10) Make It With You - Bread
    8) Close To You - The Carpenters

Last Single:
    26) Express Yourself - Charles Wright
    17) Groovy Situation - Gene Chandler

Oldies Played

Now here is the song that spent the longest time at the #2 spot without ever hitting #1. Unfortunately for them, they stayed at #2 for 8 straight weeks while Elvis held onto the top spot with his song All Shook Up. From 1957
    Little Darlin - The Diamonds

We now have the biggest selling single ever by a DJ. This song spent 3 weeks at #1 & a total of 18 weeks in the Top 10. From November 1956
    Green Door - Jim Lowe

The next song was done by just two guys. The singer, Terry Stafford, & the musician, Bob Summers, who would play all the instruments & overdub them. They shopped the song forever, until finally Herb Alpert bought it, but he held it for 18 months & then returned it to them. Then in 1964, the song was released on the Crusader label & would go all the way to #3.
    Suspicion - Terry Stafford

The Beach Boys released their first single in 1962, but it would go only to #75 on the charts. So, this next song can be called the first big Surf Hit. The producer needed a name for the group of studio musicians & while driving down the road, he passed a Super Market. He liked that, so he changed the spelling & The Marketts were born.
    Surfers Stomp - The Marketts

Ringo Starr was recently quoted in Newsweek magazine as saying that in his opinion there was no longer a group called The Beatles. But, 5 years ago there was & here is the #1 song from exactly 5 years ago today.
    Help - The Beatles

This song was the cause of the biggest dance craze in the history of mankind. It was the #1 song 10 years ago & then hit #1 again, by the same artist a year & a half later.
    The Twist - Chubby Checker

Station Recognition:

AT Top 40 is heard weekly on great radio stations like:
    KIRL - St. Louis, Mo.
    WAIR- Winston Salem, NC
    WPGC- Washington D.C.

Keep Your Feet on the ground & keep reaching for the stars!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3674182;
    Rolling Stone Issue 69

Dated October 29, 1970. Janis Joplin on the cover.

Crabby Appleton - Crabby Appleton
    Crabby Appleton is an inventive LA group in the classic mold, which carries all the sullen narcissistic charisma any band needs. Another patented, short lived hype group? Nope, I’m happy to report that they are the real thing. No great innovation, but as satisfying a definition of a rock group as we have had this year. I like nearly everything on this nearly faultless first album, it communicates the vitality of the music & the American youth as well as any of the hype of the last 10 years…Lester Bangs
    I post this mainly to show how some of this stuff can be so wrong. This band would be a one hit wonder & have only one modestly successful follow up album.
    I think Lester Bangs is wrong a lot.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Newbie

This is great info, bringing back lots of memories....It will be fun to catch up to you.
    Thanks!

Rolling Stone Issue 70

Dated November 12,1970. Grace Slick on the cover.

The article & interview of Grace is accompanied by a great set of photos by Annie Leibowitz, I believe this is her first for the magazine.
    Grace & Paul Kantner have assumed the leadership role of the Airplane. Marty Balin has taken a background & is now focusing on writing. By the way, Grace has just had her baby & they have named him god…
    The band is in the midst of contract negotiations with RCA & with all the hassels of the past, they aren’t sure which way it is going to go. But, they also say that the band is in almost total control now because RCA wants them back so they don’t want to be to picky about anything. Grace says they never see anyone from the label at all. They cut the music, send off the tapes & it comes back as an album.
    Grace is now in her early 30’s & she has some grey hair that she has decided to let grow out instead of dyeing. She doesn’t think she will be singing for much longer because she says there is nothing more pathetic than “old people” on the stage. She is very much enjoying the way Alice Cooper is doing things these days, by freaking out people, making them look twice, & generally being outrageous.

Random Notes

John Lennon
    is in the studio in London working on his first solo album, Ringo is helping out. George Harrison is in the same building putting the final mix on his first, due out in mere weeks.

Eric Clapton is set for production duties on the next Buddy Guy release. The first Derek & The Dominos album is finished & due out on Oct. 26th.

On the Thunderclap Newman album, there is a guitar player named Speedy Keene. A RS record reviewer has outed this individual as being Pete Townshend, however Pete denies it & says that Speedy is an actual human being. Pete produced the album, but it turns out he was being truthful as years later Speedy would show up in person to collect his royalty checks. In the meantime Pete is in the middle of the next Who album & helping out with some new stuff from Joe Walsh & the James Gang.

Rumor is that Joni Mitchell & James Taylor will be tying the knot.

The Band is touring the South for the first time since they were known as The Jayhawks.

For those that don’t live in Aspen & can’t vote for Sherriff, the Hunter Thompson campaign is asking that you provide psychic support.

John Cippolina, guitar player for Quicksilver, has left the group to pursue other things.

Elton John Steams Em Up, is the name of the first article about the new guy on the scene. It revolves around a press conference in London announcing EJ’S imminent departure for a 6 week tour of the US (his second). A writer from LA has already dubbed him the first big star of the 70’s. Bernie Taupin still refers to him as Reg, as do all the folks closest to him.
    Elton began playing piano at 4 & was enrolled in the Royal Academy of Music in London when he was only 11.
    Back in 1967, Elton & Bernie both answered an ad in a trade paper looking for song writers, they met through that & wrote a demo that they both admit was pretty awful, but Dick James signed them to a contract anyway. Actually, Bernie wrote the letter, but he threw it out. His Mother found it in the trash & sent it in for him.
    His band includes bass player Dee Murray & drummer Nigel Olson, both refugees of the Spencer Davis Group.
    He has just released Tumbleweed Connection & Burn Down The Mission is playing in the background of the press conference, when it ends an unsolicited standing ovation is given.
    During his first tour of the US he was getting $500 per WEEK!

This issue also contains many interviews & remembrances of Janis. The night clerk at the hotel where she was found explains the $4.50 found in her hand. Evidently she had gone to the front desk with a $5.00 bill & asked for change for the cigarette machine. Smokes were 50 cents & a new pack was found nearby.
    According to her final wishes, her ashes were scattered at sea off Stinson Beach in Marin County, on Oct. 13th. There was no public ceremony.

I really wish I had the ability to copy some of the photos from the DVD’S but the software doesn’t allow it. In this issue there is one particularly compelling shot of a group from the late 50’s - early 60’s called the Ardells. These guys were probably pretty hip at the time of the photo shoot, but they sure are square in this photo. The interesting thing about the photo is it includes guitar players Steve Miller & Boz Scaggs. Also a member of this group, but not pictured, was keyboard player Ben Sidran.

Ads for groups or albums this issue:

Ringo Starr - Beaucoup of Blues on the Apple label

The Beach Boys - Sunflower on Reprise

Santana - Abraxas available on Columbia Records & Tapes

Led Zeppelin - III is here on Atlantic Records

Bloodrock - 2 on Capitol

Sugarloaf - Their first album is available on Liberty Tapes & Records

Edgar Winter - Entrance on Epic

Savoy Brown - Looking In on the London label

Album Reviews:

Elton John - Elton John
    It’s not even a trifle surprising that the mere mention of his name causes those who’ve seen him live or heard his album to drool superlatives like “superstar” & break out in hives. The sad part of it is that those in charge of giving him a hand in the studio gave him all manner of over production, the result being that his album is much less than the gas it might have been. But don’t be scared away, for so immense a talent is Elton that he’ll delight you senseless in spite of it….John Mendelsohn

Mott The Hoople - Mad Shadows
    The cover of this album is a Rorschach inkblot. The point of such an ink blot is ambiguity. Mott the Hoople is somewhat an inkblot themselves. Possibly the reason the reason I haven’t been able to decide whether or not I like this album is that they haven‘t decided what they are going to be. While I find this album less compelling than their first it’s a good specimen of hard rock. Maybe the 3rd one will be the one that really does it…Melissa Mills

King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon
    If you liked their first album, you’ll like this one as well. But, if you only have room for one mellotron death of the universe album in your collection, get the first one, the cover is better….Ed Ward

Kristofferson -
    It’s been a good long while since an old folkie like Kris has come along. He embodies the folk singers experience. He sings simple songs that speak eloquently of life experiences. He is always totally believable, you know Kris has paid some due. He is going to go a long way & soon…Ray Rezos

Moody Blues - A Question of Balance
    Everything about this remarkable artistic achievement, up to & including it’s very marvelous cover borders on the divine…John Mendelsohn

Other albums reviewed:

Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out

Fotheringay - Fotheringay

Fairport Convention - Full House

Aretha Franklin - Spirit in the Dark

Singles Reviewed:

Still Water - Four Tops

The Tears of a Clown - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

Albums Expected in the near future.

Judy Collins
    Firesign Theater - Why Do The Porridge Bird Lay His Egg in The Air?
    Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection
    Leon Russell
    Dave Mason
    Swamp Dogg - Rat On
    Bob Dylan - New Day
    Van Morrison - His Band & The Street Choir
    Stephen Stills
    CSN&Y - Live
    David Crosby

The 12th American Top 40 show with Casey Kasem. Aired September 19, 1970

40) Fire & Rain - James Taylor
    James makes his first appearance on the Top 40. This song will eventually go all the way to #3 & spend 14 weeks on the countdown. The song has also been installed in the Grammy Hall of Fame.

39) Still Water (Love) - Four Tops
    This one is just going to miss out on the Top 10 as it stalls out at #11. It is their 15th charted song on the Pop Top 40. Co Written by Smokey Robinson

38) El Condor Pasa - Simon & Garfunkel
    Paul Simon added the lyrics to the melody of this song. It was originally an 18th Century Peruvian Folk Song. It is going to go only to #18 before stalling out.

37) It’s Only Make Believe - Glen Campbell
    This is a remake of the song that Conway Twitty would take all the way to the top of the charts back in 1958. Glen’s version would not be quite as successful, stopping at #10. Written by Jack Nance & Conway Twitty.

36) Hand Me Down World - Guess Who
    1 of 4 Canadian Acts in this weeks countdown

35) That’s Where I Went Wrong - Poppy Family

34) Signed, Sealed Delivered - Stevie Wonder
    At the age of 20, Stevie had just gotten married & was spending his honeymoon in Bermuda

33) Look What They’ve Done To My Song Ma - New Seekers

32) Peace Will Come ( According to Plan) - Melanie

31) Closer to Home - Grand Funk Railroad

30) Out in The Country - Three Dog Night

29) Lola - Kinks
    1 of 11 Foreign Acts this week.

28) Solitary Man - Neil Diamond

27) Long, Long Time - Linda Rondstadt
    ***Casey announced on this show that Linda had been tapped to sing the theme song from the upcoming new TV Show for Andy Griffith. This turned out to be the short lived Headmaster (Sept. 1970-Sept. 1971)

26) Indiana Wants Me - R. Dean Taylor

25) Express Yourself - Charles Wright

24) It’s A Shame - The Spinners

23) Joanne - Michael Nesmith
    Michael achieved instant fame when he answered an ad in The Daily Variety for a rock/folk singer & he was 1 of 4 people chosen to become a part of the Monkees.

22) Neanderthal Man - HotLegs

21) Spill The Wine - Eric Burdon & War
    At the time of this broadcast this song had been on the Top 100 charts for 5 consecutive months.

20) Make it With You - Bread

19) I’ll Be There - Jackson Five

18) Green Eyed Lady - Sugarloaf

17) Close To You - The Carpenters
    This song was now the longest running in the Top 40 at 14 weeks & as a bonus it has just been certified as having sold 2 million copies.

16) Rubber Duckie - Ernie/Jim Henson

15) In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry
    T.S. Elliot, once upon a time, wrote a poem & one of the characters in that poem was named Mungo Jerry, hence the name of the band.

14) I (Who Have Nothing) - Tom Jones

13) All Right Now - Free

12) Groovy Situation - Gene Chandler

11) Don’t Play That Song - Aretha Franklin

10) 25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago

9) I’m Losing You - Rare Earth

8) Snowbird - Anne Murray
    This song is now the #1 song on Billboards Easy Listening Chart.

7) Candida - Dawn

6) Cracklin Rosie - Neil Diamond

5) Julie Do You Love Me - Bobby Sherman

3) Lookin Out My Backdoor - Creedence Clearwater Revival
    This has become their 12th consecutive Gold record.

2) War - Edwin Starr

New Songs this week:

39) Still Water (Love) - Four Tops
    38) El Condor Pasa - Simon & Garfunkel
    37) It’s Only Make Believe - Glen Campbell

Everything’s Tuesday - The Chairmen of the Board
    Everybody’s Got A Right To Love - The Supremes
    Why Can’t I Touch You - Ronnie Dyson
    Hi De Ho - Blood Sweat & Tears
    ***Everybody will be back eventually, but it will be 3 years for the next appearance by Ronnie Dyson.

Biggest Gainer:
    19) I’ll Be There - Jackson Five up 21 spots
    18) Green Eyed Lady - Sugarloaf up 21 spots

Biggest Loser:
    36) Hand Me Down World - Guess Who down 15 spots
    34) Signed, Sealed Delivered - Stevie Wonder down 15 spots

One Hit Wonders:
    26) Indiana Wants Me - R. Dean Taylor
    23) Joanne - Michael Nesmith
    21) Spill The Wine - Eric Burdon & War
    15) In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry
    13) All Right Now - Free

Debut Single:
    33) Look What They’ve Done To My Song Ma - New Seekers
    31) Closer to Home - Grand Funk Railroad
    20) Make it With You - Bread
    18) Green Eyed Lady - Sugarloaf
    17) Close To You - The Carpenters
    16) Rubber Duckie - Ernie/Jim Henson

Last Single:
    35) That’s Where I Went Wrong - Poppy Family
    25) Express Yourself - Charles Wright

Oldies Played

The Beatles have called him America’s Poet Laureate, Bob Dylan refers to him as America’s greatest poet. He formed his first group at the age of 16 & 13 years later the same four guys are still together & still making great music. From 1967
    I Second That Emotion - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

She was born Concetta Rosa Maria Franconero, but she was given her professional name by Arthur Godfrey when she won his Talent Scouts program at the age of 12. She went on to become the top female vocalist in pop music from 1958-1964. Here is her #1 song from 5 years ago today.
    My Heart Has A Mind of It’s Own - Connie Francis

Here is a college dropout, but also the youngest to ever be given an Honorary Doctorate in Music from Princeton University. From 1696
    Lay Lady Lay - Bob Dylan

This is the only Male actor in history to win 3 Oscars. He recorded this song at the age of 64. He is now 72, married for 45 yrs., & Grandfather to 12. His hit from 1962
    Old Rivers - Walter Brennan

This man has had 24 solo hits, but he is also the only male in History to have hit singles with 3 different Female partners. He has had 14 duet hits with Mary Welles, Kim Weston & Tammi Terrell. Here’s one from 1967.
    Your Precious Love - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell

Station Recognition:

WVIC Lansing Michigan
    KTSA San Antonio Texas

Keep Your Feet on the Ground & Keep Reaching For the Stars

The 13th American Top 40 show with Casey Kasem. Aired September 26, 1970

40) Stand By Your Man - Candy Staton
    Candy has drug out the former Tammy Wynette hit, but she is only going to see it go as high as #24. It is the first of only 2 chart hits for her. At this time she was married to Clarence Carter.

39) Do What You Want To Do - Five Flights Up
    This song is going to spend a total of 5 weeks on the charts & it is going to rise only 2 more spots & then fade away. After hearing it, I can understand why.

38) Make it With You - Bread

37) Somebody’s Been Sleeping - 100 Proof Aged in Soul
    This is an R&B Trio from Detroit that has Joe Stubbs as one of the members. He is the brother of Levi Stubbs of Four Tops Fame. However, even that wouldn’t help the guys as this song is going to be their only hit, it will however, go to #8 for them.

36) Spill The Wine - Eric Burdon & War

35) In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry

34) El Condor Pasa - Simon & Garfunkel

33) That’s Where I Went Wrong - The Poppy Family

32) It’s Only Make Believe - Glen Campbell

31) Close To You - The Carpenters

30) Fire & Rain - James Taylor

29) Rubber Duckie - Ernie/Jim Henson
    ***At the time of this broadcast Sesame Street is seen in 26 different Countries around the world.

28) Lola - The Kinks

27) Closer To Home - Grand Funk Railroad
    ***An extended version of the song clocking in at 5 minutes is played. Not quite the album version, yet not the single version either.

26) Long, Long Time - Linda Rondstadt

25) Look What They’ve Done To My Song Ma - The New Seekers

24) Out In The Country - Three Dog Night

23) Indiana Wants Me - R. Dean Taylor
    ***1 of 7 Motown artists on this weeks show

***1 of 10 Foreign Acts this week.

21) Joanne - Michael Nesmith

20) Still Water (Love) - Four Tops

19) I (Who Have Nothing) - Tom Jones

18) We’ve Only Just Begun - The Carpenters
    The biggest debut of the week by far. The song was adapted from a currently running TV commercial for a local bank in the LA area. The writers maintained ownership however, & the song was recorded by one of the hottest acts around. This one is going to stall out at #2 & stay there for 4 weeks. It is a Grammy Hall Of Fame song. Co -written by Paul Williams & Roger Nichols

17) 25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago

16) Green Eyed Lady - Sugarloaf

15) It’s A Shame - The Spinners

14) Express Yourself - Curtis Wright

13) Don’t Play That Song - Aretha Franklin
    At the age of 14 Aretha was the protégé of the great Mahalia Jackson

11) Patches - Clarence Carter

10) All Right Now - Free

9) War - Edwin Starr

7) I’m Losing You - Rare Earth

6) I’ll Be There - Jackson Five

5) Julie Do You Love Me? - Bobby Sherman

4) Cracklin Rosie - Neil Diamond

3) Candida - Dawn
    *** At the outro to this song Casey mentioned that the group was comprised of 3 women & 2 men & that the lead singer was named Frankie Spinelli. None of this was correct.

2) Lookin Out My Backdoor - Creedence Clearwater Revival
    ***Back to back errors by Casey. This time he mentions that this is the groups 4th consecutive #2 hit…it was actually the 5th.

New Songs this week:
    18) We’ve Only Just Begun - The Carpenters

Hand Me Down World - The Guess Who
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered - Stevie Wonder
    Peace Will Come - Melanie
    Solitary Man - Neil Diamond
    ***Neil Diamond is still on the chart with Cracklin Rosie, everyone else will return, but it will take a year for Melanie to get back & that will be with her biggest hit ever.

Biggest Gainer:
    20) Still Water (Love) - Four Tops Up 19 big spots

Biggest Loser:
    35) In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry down 20 spots

One Hit Wonders:
    36) Spill The Wine - Eric Burdon & War
    35) In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry
    23) Indiana Wants Me - R. Dean Taylor
    10) All Right Now - Free

Debut Single:
    38) Make it With You - Bread
    31) Close To You - The Carpenters
    30) Fire & Rain - James Taylor
    29) Rubber Duckie - Ernie/Jim Henson
    27) Closer To Home - Grand Funk Railroad
    25) Look What They’ve Done To My Song Ma - The New Seekers
    16) Green Eyed Lady - Sugarloaf

Last Single:
    33) That’s Where I Went Wrong - The Poppy Family
    14) Express Yourself - Curtis Wright
    11) Patches - Clarence Carter

Oldies Played

This is a novelty song recorded on a whim by a 24 yr. old ad exec. Meant to poke fun at the soldiers that were a bit leery of serving under an officer with long blonde hair & a big burly mustache. A #1 hit from 10 years ago.
    Mr. Custer - Larry Verne

This trio has been one of the most popular acts for the past 9 years. They have had 16 chart hits, but their main source of revenue is still live concerts. But, once their income hits $1 million, they quit & take the rest of the year off. From 1968
    Goin Out of My Head - The Lettermen

This next artist had his live radio debut at the ripe old age of 4. But, it would take him another 20 years before he had his first big hit. Now, he is in the midst of 15 consecutive #1 hits on the country charts & that’s a streak than no one on any chart can even come close to. Here’s his first #1 from 1957.
    Young Love - Sonny James

This next single is from the first group of active duty Marines to ever have a chart hit. While on short term leave from Camp LaJeune NC, they recorded the following song & saw it go all the way to #1 in 1963.
    Easier Said Than Done - The Essex

Station Recognition:

KEYN - Wichita Kansas
    KINT - El Paso Texas

Now that Billboard Magazine archives are available to read I can add some other stuff. Here are the #’1s on the other Billboard charts this week:

Top Jazz LP - Bitches Brew - Miles Davis

Top Soul Single - Ain’t No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross

Top Soul LP - Diana Ross

Top Country Single - There Must Be More To Love Than This - Jerry Lee Lewis

Top Country LP - Hello Darlin - Conway Twitty

Top Easy Listening Single - Snowbird - Anne Murray

Top Selling LP - Cosmos Factory - CCR

Bubbling Under The Top 100 - I Think I Love You - The Partridge Family

Rolling Stone Issue 71

Dated November 26,1970. Meher Baba on the cover.

The article was written by a Meher Baba disciple named Pete Townshend.

From July 10, 1925 until shortly before his death in 1969, Meher Baba was silent. He communicated first by using an alphabet board, and later by unique hand gestures which were interpreted and spoken out by one of his mandali, usually by his disciple Eruch Jessawala. Meher Baba said that his silence was not undertaken as a spiritual exercise but solely in connection with his universal work.

Meher Baba was part of the inspiration behind The Who’s Tommy & his name is also associated with Pete’s song from the Who’s Next album, Baba O’Reilly.

Random Notes

The reformed Traffic have added Rick Grech as their bass player & are now touring the US.

On the TV front. Wednesday nights is being ruled by Medical Center on CBS, this is bad news for ABC where Johnny Cash is on at the same time. It’s not looking good for the future of his show.

Jesse Colin Young
    , while on tour with The Youngbloods was stricken with appendicitis. His wife flew to be with him in the hospital & while there she had a baby boy. All 3 Young’s are reportedly doing well.

Denis Hopper & ex Mama Michele Phillips have tied the knot in Taos NM.

Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks have just signed with Blue Thumb Records.

At the time there are phony groups touring the country calling themselves The Animals, The Zombies & even Sugarloaf who have just recently hit the charts for the very first time. At least the phony Archies have disappeared.

On a personal note: One of my favorite cult movies was called Harold & Maude. According to this issue of RS, the role of Harold was offered to Elton John. I just can’t imagine that!

Considering what is going to happen in the near future, this is kind of eerie! After his trial in Miami, Jim Morrison drove back to LA. He stopped off at the St. Louis Cathedral in New Orleans & sent the other members of the Doors a postcard with a picture of The Sacrifice of the Divine Lamb on it. He signed it “ Don’t Worry the end is near, Ha Ha!”

In some news from the British band front:

Organist Brian Auger has started a new band called Oblivion Express.

The Move have fragmented into two different bands. The first one is lead by Jeff Lynne, Roy Woods & Bev Bevan & go by the name of Electric Light Orchestra.

Spooky Tooth have reformed & a new band calling themselves Renaissance are making some noise.

Guitar player Mick Abrahams has left the group Bloodwyn Pig, the band dropped the Pig part & added guitar player Peter Banks coming over from Yes.

Keith Emerson late of The Nice & Carl Palmer from Atomic Rooster have joined forces with Greg Lake from King Crimson to form a new trio.

Pink Floyd are touring the US performing Atom Heart Mother with a horn section & a chorale backing section. Their music is being hailed as the most intellectual in Rock. The name of the album comes from a news story where a pregnant woman had been kept alive with the help of an atomic heart.

In her will, Janis Joplin left $2,500 so her friends could have a party after she was gone. Well, that just happened at a small club called the Lions Share in San Anselmo Ca.. The drinks were on Pearl!

Ads for groups or albums this issue:

BB King- Watermelon Rattlesnake produced by Bill Szymczyk for ABC/Duhill

Sly & The Family Stone - Greatest Hits on Epic Records & Tapes

Mott the Hoople - Mad Shadows on Atlantic

Frank Zappa - Chunga’s Revenge on the Bizarre Reprise label

Joan Baez - The First 10 Years on Vanguard

Album Reviews:

Bob Dylan - New Morning
    Put simply, New Morning is a superb album. It is everything a Dylan fan prayed for after Self Portrait. I must admit that if there is a fault on the album, I haven’t found it. Nor do I care. This one comes easy & that’s what it’s all about isn’t it? It seems superfluous to say that this is one of the best albums of the year & one of Dylan’s best. All I can say is get it yourself & prepare to boogie…Ed Ward

Led Zeppelin - III
    I keep nursing this love hate attitude toward Led Zeppelin. Partly from genuine interest but mostly from indefensible hopes, in part from the conviction that nobody that crass could be all that bad. Their third album deviates little from the tracks laid by the first two, even though they go acoustic on several numbers. Most of the acoustic stuff sounds like standard Zep graded down decibel wise & the heavy blitzes could have been outtakes from Zeppelin II. In fact when I first heard the album my main impression was the consistent anonymity of most of the songs- no one could mistake the band but no gimmicks stand out with any special outrageousness….Lester Bangs

Fleetwood Mac - Kiln House
    I was sure that the departure of Peter Green from Fleetwood Mac would signal the end of that band. It did, that band is gone, but with the addition of Danny Kirwan & Jeremy Spencer, the band survives. They took up the slack & built a new engine for the Fleetwood Mac machine. The sound is met on Fleetwood Mac’s own terms & the sound is that much wiser for it….J.R. Young

Other albums reviewed:

The Byrds - Untitled

Wilson Pickett - In Philadelphia

The Flock - Dinosaur Swamps

Curtis Mayfield - Curtis

Delaney & Bonnie - To Bonnie From Delaney

Jimmy & David Ruffin - I Am My Brothers Keeper
    Black Pearl - Live

Brownsville Station

Arlo Guthrie - Washington County

The Youngbloods - Rock Festival

Albums Expected in the near future.

Janis Ian - produced by Jerry Corbetta (ex Youngblood)

The Bee Gees are mixing their next with Robert Stigwood.

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass

John Lennon - his first solo album

Paul McCartney his second solo album.

The 14th American Top 40 show with Casey Kasem. Aired October 3, 1970

We now have 26 stations airing the show. A gain of just 19 since the beginning.

39) Deeper & Deeper - Freda Payne
    This is her follow up to Band of Gold, but it’s not going to be even close to as popular. It will spend 8 weeks on the chart & peak at #24. Written by the hit making team of Holland/Dozier/Holland

38) Do What You Want To Do - Five Flights Up

37) Lucretia Mac Evil - Blood Sweat & Tears
    These guys were in the death throes of their chart career together. Their first 3 singles had all hit #2, the one prior to this one peaked at #14, this one would stall at #29 & their next & last one is only going to get only as high as #32. Written by David Clayton Thomas

36) It Don’t Matter to Me - Bread
    Following up their first single & first #1 hit had to be a tough act to follow. This one would get as high as #10 & stop there. They never made it to #1 again, but they were pretty consistent in the Top 10. Written by David Gates

35) Our House - Crosby Stills Nash & Young
    This is the last time the guys would hit the charts as a foursome. This song is going to spend 6 weeks in the countdown & peak at #30. They will all be on the charts in various pairings, but CS&N won’t return as a trio for 7 years. A Graham Nash composition

34) Neanderthal Mad - HotLegs
    This song was self produced & sold to Capitol Records for $50,000.

33) I (Who Have Nothing) - Tom Jones

32) Rubber Duckie - Ernie/Jim Henson

31) Somebody’s Been Sleepin - 100 Proof Aged in Soul

30) That’s Where I Went Wrong - The Poppy Family

29) El Condor Pasa - Simon & Garfunkel

28) Don’t Play That Song - Aretha Franklin

27) Closer to Home - Grand Funk Railroad
    ***Extended cut played again

26) 25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago

25) Long Long Time - Linda Rondstadt

24) It’s Only Make Believe - Glen Campbell
    ***When Glen & his wife moved to LA, they were so poor that she had to take a job in a bank just to make ends meet. She no longer works. Glen’s income this year will go over $4 million.

23) Groovy Situation - Gene Chandler
    22) Indiana Wants Me - R. Dean Taylor

20) Look What They’ve Done To My Song Ma - New Seekers

19) Still Water (Love) - Four Tops

18) Out in the Country - Three Dog Night
    ***1 of 2 songs on this weeks countdown written by Paul Williams, the other is We’ve Only Just Begun.

17) Fire & Rain - James Taylor

16) Patches - Clarence Carter

15) It’s a Shame - The Spinners
    ***Written & Produced by Stevie Wonder.

14) Express Yourself - Charles Wright

13) Lola - The Kinks

12) War - Edwin Starr

11) Snowbird - Anne Murray

10) I’m Losing You - Rare Earth

9) We’ve Only Just Begun - The Carpenters

8) Green Eyed Lady - Sugarloaf

7) Looking Out My Backdoor - Creedence Clearwater Revival

6) Julie Do You Love Me - Bobby Sherman

5) All Right Now - Free

4) Ain’t No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross

3) Candida - Dawn

2) I’ll Be There - Jackson Five

1) Cracklin Rosie - Neil Diamond
    ***While in high school, Neil had a job that paid him $50 per week writing songs for other people.

New Songs this week:
    39) Deeper & Deeper - Freda Payne
    37) Lucretia Mac Evil - Blood Sweat & Tears
    36) It Don’t Matter to Me - Bread

Make it With You - Bread
    Spill The Wine - Eric Burdon & War
    In the Summertime - Mungo Jerry
    Close To You - The Carpenters
    ***Bread & The Carpenters are already back in the countdown. War will be back in a year, but without Eric Burdon. Unfortunately Mungo Jerry will not be heard from again.

Biggest Gainer:
    13) Lola - The Kinks up 15 spots

Biggest Loser:

28) Don’t Play That Song - Aretha Franklin down 15 spots

One Hit Wonders:
    38) Do What You Want To Do - Five Flights Up
    34) Neanderthal Mad - HotLegs
    31) Somebody’s Been Sleepin - 100 Proof Aged in Soul
    22) Indiana Wants Me - R. Dean Taylor
    5) All Right Now - Free

Debut Single:
    32) Rubber Duckie - Ernie/Jim Henson
    27) Closer to Home - Grand Funk Railroad
    20) Look What They’ve Done To My Song Ma - New Seekers
    17) Fire & Rain - James Taylor
    11) Snowbird - Anne Murray
    8) Green Eyed Lady - Sugarloaf

Last Single:
    30) That’s Where I Went Wrong - The Poppy Family
    23) Groovy Situation - Gene Chandler
    16) Patches - Clarence Carter
    14) Express Yourself - Charles Wright

Oldies Played

A DJ in Oregon broke this song on a lark. It went on to become the only Oriental song sung by an Oriental singer in his native language to hit #1 in the US. From 1963 & #1 for 3 weeks:
    Sukiyaki- Kyu Sakamoto

This is England’s all time top selling Instrumental. A #1 hit from 1962.
    Telstar - The Tornadoes

A #1 song for 5 consecutive weeks in 1968.
    Love is Blue - Paul Mauriat

This song was written by an Italian composer for an Italian Movie. It was recorded by a trombone player from Denmark & was nominated for an American Oscar. It didn’t win the Oscar, but within a year of release there were 70 different versions of the song.
    More - Kai Winding & his Orchestra

#1 in August 1959.
    The Three Bells - The Browns

Album Cut

Once in a while Casey decides to play an album cut of a song that isn’t currently on the charts. This time he chose the most played song from Cosmos Factory. The album has been the #1 album on the charts for the past 8 weeks.
    I Heard it Through The Grapevine - Creedence Clearwater Revival

Station Recognition:

WJTO - Bath Maine

Here are the #’1s on the other Billboard charts this week:

Top Soul Single - I’ll Be There - Jackson Five

Top Soul LP - Third Album - Jackson Five

Top Country Single - Sunday Morning Coming Down - Johnny Cash

Top Country LP - Fightin Side of Me - Merle Haggard

Top Easy Listening Single - We’ve Only Just Begun - The Carpenters

Bubbling Under The Top 100 - Border Song - Elton John

MRD

Once again, I find it fascinating to see how these bands are breaking up, reforming and becoming some of the best bands we'll see in the 70's, like ELO and EL&P.

Can't wait to see how RS treats All Things Must Pass. I think that is one of the greatest albums of all time.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

The 15th American Top 40 show with Casey Kasem. Aired October 10, 1970

We now have 30 stations airing the show. Four new affiliates have joined this week.

40) Montego Bay - Bobby Bloom
    Bobby had been a session singer since the 1960’s but he finally ventured out on his own. This would be his only chart hit spending 11 weeks on the countdown & topping out at #8. His career & life would be cut short when he was accidentally shot to death in 1974 at age 28.

39) See Me Feel Me - The Who
    This is a combo of songs #5,6, & 8 from the Rock Opera Tommy. It is going to get as high as #12 before stalling out.

38) Unite The World - The Temptations
    This is the 26th time the group has hit the Top 40, but this song will be one of their least successful going only as high as #33 & staying around for just 4 short weeks.

37) Do What You Want To Do - Five Flights Up

36) Deeper & Deeper - Freda Payne

35) Stand By Your Man - Candy Staton

34) Superbad - James Brown
    This song is going all the way to #13 on the Pop Charts, but it will become the #1 song on the R&B charts for 2 weeks.

33) Lucretia Mac Evil - Blood Sweat & Tears

32) Our House - Crosby Stills Nash & Young

31) It Don’t Matter To Me - Bread

30) God, Love & Rock & Roll - Teegarden & Van Winkle
    This pop duet from Detroit would have their only chart success with this song. It is heading only as high as #22 & will stay on the countdown for just 5 weeks. Drummer David Teegarden will experience a whole different level of success when he joins Bob Seger as a member of the Silver Bullet Band from 1978-1981.

29) That’s Where I Went Wrong - The Poppy Family
    *** This single cost Terry Jacks only $355 to produce.

28) Somebody’s Been Sleeping - 100 Proof Aged in Soul

27) Joanne - Michael Nesmith

26) Groovy Situation - Gene Chandler

25) Long Long Time - Linda Rondstadt

24) Patches - Clarence Carter
    *** Single has been certified Platinum

23) Closer to Home - Grand Funk Railroad
    ***Despite the critics, each of their first 3 albums have now been certified Gold.

22) War - Edwin Starr

21) El Condor Pasa - Simon & Garfunkel

20) It’s Only Make Believe - Glen Campbell

19) I’m Losing You - Rare Earth

18) Still Water (Love) - The Four Tops

17) Look What They’ve Done to My Song Ma - New Seekers

16) Snowbird - Anne Murray

15) Out in the Country - Three Dog Night

14) It’s a Shame - The Spinners

13) Express Yourself - Charles Wright

12) Lola - The Kinks

11) Indiana Wants Me - R. Dean Taylor

10) Fire & Rain - James Taylor

9) Julie Do You Love Me - Bobby Sherman
    ***Single has been certified Platinum

8) Lookin Out MY Backdoor - Creedence Clearwater Revival

7) Ain’t No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross

6) Candida - Dawn
    ***Single has been certified Platinum

5) We’ve Only Just Begun - The Carpenters

4) All Right Now - Free

3) Green Eyed Lady - Sugarloaf

2) Cracklin Rosie - Neil Diamond

1) I’ll Be There - Jackson Five
    ***They have now become the only American group to have their first 4 singles to all hit #1.

New Songs this week:
    39) See Me Feel Me - The Who
    38) Unite The World - The Temptations
    34) Superbad - James Brown

Neanderthal Man - HotLegs
    I (Who Have Nothing) - Tom Jones
    Rubber Duckie - Ernie/Jim Henson
    Don’t Play That Song - Aretha Franklin
    25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago
    ***Tom Jones, Aretha Franklin, & Chicago will all be back in the countdown in just a few short weeks. It will be a long 9 years before Jim Henson appears again, but this time it will be in the guise of Kermit. HotLegs will disappear as they are but they will add member Graham Gouldman & return 5 years from now under the name 10cc.

Biggest Gainer:
    11) Indiana Wants Me - R. Dean Taylor up 11 spots

Biggest Loser:
    22) War - Edwin Starr down 10 spots

One Hit Wonders:
    37) Do What You Want To Do - Five Flights Up
    28) Somebody’s Been Sleeping - 100 Proof Aged in Soul
    27) Joanne - Michael Nesmith
    11) Indiana Wants Me - R. Dean Taylor
    4) All Right Now - Free

Debut Single:
    35) Stand By Your Man - Candy Staton
    23) Closer to Home - Grand Funk Railroad
    17) Look What They’ve Done to My Song Ma - New Seekers
    16) Snowbird - Anne Murray
    3) Green Eyed Lady - Sugarloaf

Last Single:
    32) Our House - Crosby Stills Nash & Young
    26) Groovy Situation - Gene Chandler
    24) Patches - Clarence Carter
    13) Express Yourself - Charles Wright

Oldies Played

At least once a week Casey will countdown the Top 5 from a previous week in years passed & then play the #1 song from that week. This week he instead played the #2 song from 7-13-1968:
    Jumpin Jack Flash - The Rolling Stones

The following song hit #2 in 1960. It also went all the way to #8 in 1964. Thereby making it the only Instrumental song to chart inside the Top 10 twice.
    Walk Don’t Run - The Ventures

Here is the only recording artist to have written the #1 best selling fiction book of the year. In 1959 the book hit #1 & the song of the same name would peak at #17.
    Twixt Twelve & Twenty - Pat Boone

The following artist is the Top Recording artist in Country music history. He has the most #1 hits of anyone. He also made Colonel Parker his first $1 Million a few years before Elvis Presley came along. Here from 1965
    Make The World Go Away - Eddy Arnold

Commercials:
    MGM has purchased all available commercial slots for the next six weeks. A first for the show. For their first advertising spots they chose to go with this as a way of pimping one of their hot new singles:
    This is Billboards only Regional Breakout Song Of the Week. It is already #3 in New Orleans. Burning Bridges - The Mike Curb Congregation.
    For anyone that grew up in So. Cal, you would recognize the voice of LA Disc Jockey Humble Harve as the announcer on this spot.

Station Recognition:

KJOY - Stockton California
    KCPX - Salt Lake City , Utah
    WFLI - Chattanooga , Tennessee

Here are the #’1s on the other Billboard charts this week:

Top Soul Single - I’ll Be There - Jackson Five

Top Soul LP - Third Album - Jackson Five

Top Country Single - Sunday Morning Coming Down - Johnny Cash

Top Country LP - Fightin Side of Me - Merle Haggard

Top Easy Listening Single - We’ve Only Just Begun - The Carpenters

Bubbling Under The Top 100 -
    Share The Land - The Guess Who
    Amos Moses - Jerry Reed
    One Less Bell To Answer - The 5th Dimension