+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

MRD

Re: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

I thought after the goldrush was pretty good too.

I find it hilarious in some cases to read the reviews as the albums they reviewed and criticized have been the ones that have stood the test of time. But no one remembers the ones who wrote the reviews.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm kind of surprised that no one commented on Clapton's statement about being asked to join the Stones. Would that have been a good thing, a bad thing, or just an indifferent thing?

MRD

Bad thing. I do not think that Clapton would have lasted long with the Stones. I don't think he and Mick could have shared a spotlight.
    Clapton has had an amazing career, been with some fantastic groups, but he never stayed with one group long. He has been a solo artist much longer than with any group. I don't think he's one that fits in well with a group dynamic and certainly not a supergroup like the Stones.

Although there might have been some good song collaborations to come out of it.

I must have missed the bit about Clapton possibly joining the Stones. I just saw the bit with Harrison of the Beatles and I always remember that Pattie Boyd was at the center of the furor bet. the 2 guys.

I think that in hindsight if Clapton had joined RS, it could have unecessarily stalled all their careers. So, I'm glad he did not. I also agree with MRD that Clapton and Jagger probably wouldn't have shared the stage that well.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I have to agree about Clapton joining the Stones. Even if he was asked by Mick, as he claims, I just don't think it would have worked. When it comes to song writing, he would have taken a George Harrison type of place as someone who's songs would have taken a back seat to Mick/Keith compositions. We may have never seen Layla (certainly not with Duane Allman's contributions) or Let It Rain or any of the other great Clapton solo efforts.

The ninth American Top 40 show with Casey Kasem. Aired August 29, 1970

Playing the hits from the Boston to Honolulu, from Canada to Mexico.

40) All Right Now - Free
    First & only chart hit from the band, but it is still one of the classics from the time frame. It would get all the way to #4 before stalling out. Co-written by Paul Rodgers.

39) Summertime Blues - The Who

38) Neanderthal Man - HotLegs
    Another one hit wonder band, but this time with a twist. The band consisted of members Eric Stewart, Kevin Godley, & Lol Creme. They would be joined by a fourth member named Graham Gouldman & the band would then become better known as 10cc. This song made it to #22.

37) Peace Will Come (According to the plan) - Melanie
    Her second single, but this one isn’t going to do so well. And after hearing it I can understand why. It isn’t so good. Not only is it not very good, but it’s almost 5 minutes long. .It’s going only as far as #32 & will spend just 4 weeks on the chart.

36) Joanne - Michael Nesmith & the 1st National Band
    This is Michael's first & only hit outside of the Monkees. It is going to peak at #21 & then it’s gone. At least he wrote it himself.

35) Closer To Home - Grand Funk Railroad
    Despite some bad reviews by music critics, the band’s first two albums have already been certified as Gold Records. Now they were getting into the hit single business. It, to, will peak relatively early at #22 but it will stick around for 8 weeks.

34) I Want To Take You Higher - Ike & Tina Turner

33) It’s a Shame - The Spinners

32) I’ve Lost You- Elvis Presley

31) Get Up - James Brown

30) Lay a Little Lovin On Me - Robin McNamara

29) Cracklin Rosie - Neil Diamond

28) Tighter & Tighter - Alive & Kickin
    Casey has only noted his favorite song on the countdown twice & both times this has been the one. This time he was lamenting the big 13 point drop for his fave.

27) I’m Losing You - Rare Earth

26) Rubber Duckie - Ernie

25) Tell It All Brother - Kenny Rogers & the 1st Edition

24) Groovy Situation - Gene Chandler

23) Solitary Man - Neil Diamond

22) Band of Gold - Freda Payne

21) Everybody’s Got a Right to Love - Supremes

20) I (Who Have Nothing) - Tom Jones

19) Snowbird - Anne Murray

18) Candida - Dawn

17) Hand Me Down World - The Guess Who

16) Overture From Tommy - The Assembled Multitude

15) Just Can’t Help Believing - BJ Thomas

14) Hi De Ho - Blood, Sweat & Tears

13) Julie Do You Love Me - Bobby Sherman

12) Don’t Play That Song - Aretha Franklin

11) Signed, Sealed, Delivered - Stevie Wonder

10) Lookin Out My Back Door - Creedence Clearwater Revival

9) Spill The Wine - Eric Burdon & The Animals
    One of 6 artists on this weeks countdown from the British Isles

8) Why Can’t I Touch You - Ronnie Dyson

7) Patches - Clarence Carter

6) 25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago

5) Close to You - The Carpenters

4) In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry
    At the time of this show, this song was the #1 hit in 8 different countries, but it’s only going to #3 in the U.S.

3) Make it With You - Bread

2) Ain’t No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross

1) War - Edwin Starr

New Songs this week:
    40) All Right Now - Free
    37) Peace Will Come (According to the plan) - Melanie

Songs disappearing this week:
    Big Yellow Taxi - The Neighborhood
    The Sly, Slick & The Wicked - The Lost Generation
    Ball of Confusion - The Temptations
    O-o-o Child - The Five Stairsteps
    Mama Told Me - Three Dog Night
    ***The Neighborhood, The Lost Generation & The Five Stairsteps would not be heard from again.

Biggest Gainer:
    18) Candida - Dawn up a whopping 15 places

Biggest Loser:
    28) Tighter & Tighter - Alive & Kickin drops 13 spots

One Hit Wonders:
    40) All Right Now - Free
    30) Lay a Little Lovin On Me - Robin McNamara
    16) Overture From Tommy - The Assembled Multitude
    9) Spill The Wine - Eric Burdon & The Animals
    4) In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry

Debut Single:
    26) Rubber Duckie - Ernie
    22) Band of Gold - Freda Payne
    19) Snowbird - Anne Murray
    8) Why Can’t I Touch You - Ronnie Dyson
    5) Close to You - The Carpenters
    3) Make it With You - Bread

Last Single:
    24) Groovy Situation - Gene Chandler
    7) Patches - Clarence Carter

Oldies Played
    Going all the way back to 1959 & a man from Chicago. This hit song had a definite Bo Diddly beat.
    Hey Little Girl - Dee Clark

This female superstar claims her husband fell in love with her only because she reminded him of his two favorite people, movie star Sophia Loren & football player Y.A. Tittle. From 1965
    Second Hand Rose - Barbra Streisand

This next singer is the great great grandson of the Vice President of the Confederacy during the civil war. He is now, not only a singer/songwriter with over 20 hits to his credit, but he also has his own TV show. Here’s his hit from 1968.
    Mr. Businessman - Ray Stevens

The next song comes from the only person in pop history to have a #1 album & a single from that album hit the #1 at the same exact time. And it comes from a most unlikely star. From 1963
    Dominique - The Singing Nun
    *** This ladies name was Sister Luc- Gabrielle & she was from Belgium. Unhappily, she committed suicide in 1985.

Album Cut:
    For the first time ever a song from a current album was played without the song being on the charts. The song from the biggest selling album in the country today, Cosmos Factory.
    I Heard it Through The Grapevine - Creedence
    ***During the outro to this song, Casey mistakenly calls it just Grapevine.

Station Recognition:

AT Top 40 is heard weekly on great radio stations like:
    WWWW Detroit Michigan

Keep Your Feet on the ground & keep reaching for the stars!

The next song comes from the only person in pop history to have a #1 album & a single from that album hit the #1 at the same exact time. And it comes from a most unlikely star. From 1963
    Dominique - The Singing Nun
    *** This ladies name was Sister Luc- Gabrielle & she was from Belgium. Unhappily, she committed suicide in 1985.

OMG. I had no idea. I remember that song. My mom sang it a lot.
    Very sad.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

MRD

I love 10cc and I never knew that before.

Grand Funk is my husband's favorite band and you never, ever hear them anymore. I still occasionally hear 10cc.

The tenth American Top 40 show with Casey Kasem. Aired September 5, 1970

Playing the hits from the Boston to Honolulu, from Canada to Mexico.

40) Lola - The Kinks
    The first chart appearance by the Kinks in over 4 years. This would be their 4th Top 10 hit & would peak at #9. It will be yet another 8 years before they hit the charts again.

39) Express Yourself - Charles Wright
    His 3rd & last chart hit, this one would only go as high as #12. Interestingly enough he had 3 Top 40 hits & all of them spent exactly 10 weeks on the charts.

38) Everything’s Tuesday - Chairmen of the Board
    These guys had yet to find the answer to their huge hit Give Me Just a Little More Time & this one wouldn’t do it either. It debuted at it’s highest position & will last only 2 weeks. Co- Written by the hit making team of Holland/Dozier/Holland

37) I Want to Take You Higher - Ike & Tina Turner

36) Tell it All Brother - Kenny Rogers & The 1st Edition

35) Out In The Country - Three Dog Night
    This song would be a moderate hit for the band, topping out at #15 & spending 8 weeks in the Top 40. It was co-written by Paul Williams.

34) Peace Will Come - Melanie

33) Closer to Home - Grand Funk Railroad
    For the past month this 3 man band has been featured on the biggest billboard in the world. It is in Manhattan, on Broadway, is a block long & cost them $100,000. It proclaims in big letters GRAND FUNK RAILROAD

32) Get Up - James Brown

31) Long Long Time - Linda Rondstadt
    While introducing the song Casey refers to her as a new Country singer from Tuscon. This is her second chart hit, it will top out at #25, spending only 7 weeks on the chart. It had been a full 3 years since her first chart appearance & once this song disappears it will be another 5 years before she is heard from again.

30) Joanne - Michael Nesmith

29) Neanderthal Man - HotLegs
    ***Can I just say, if you have never heard this song, see if you can find it on one the internet somewhere. It is truly a unique song for it’s time & it’s a good debut for the guys that would eventually become 10cc.

28) Overture From Tommy - The Assembled Multitude
    Only instrumental song on the countdown for a few weeks now.

27) Everybody’s Got a Right To Love - Supremes

26) All Right Now - Free

25) It’s a Shame - The Spinners

24) Just Can’t Help Believing - BJ Thomas

23) Why Can’t I Touch You - Ronnie Dyson

22) Cracklin Rosie - Neil Diamond

21) Solitary Man - Neil Diamond

20) Groovy Situation - Gene Chandler

19) Hi De Ho - Blood Sweat & Tears

18) Rubber Duckie - Ernie/ Jim Henson

17) Hand Me Down World - The Guess Who
    1 of 8 foreign acts on this weeks countdown

16) I’m Losing You - Rare Earth

15) I (Who Have Nothing) - Tom Jones

14) Snowbird - Anne Murray

13) Signed, Sealed, Delivered - Stevie Wonder

12) Don’t Play That Song - Aretha Franklin

11) Candida - Dawn

10) Spill The Wine - Eric Burdon & War

9) Make It With You - Bread

8) Close To You - The Carpenters

7) Julie Do You Love Me - Bobby Sherman
    At the age of 18, Bobby was attending a beach party in California, when he was talked into joining the band on stage & singing with them. At the same party were Sal Mineo, Jane Fonda, Roddy McDowell & Natalie Wood. They discovered Bobby, Sal’s manager signed him & the rest is history.

6) Patches - Clarence Carter

5) Lookin Out My Backdoor - Creedence

4) 25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago

3) In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry

2) Ain’t No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross

1) War - Edwin Starr

New Songs this week:
    40) Lola - The Kinks
    38) Everything’s Tuesday - Chairmen of the Board
    35) Out In The Country - Three Dog Night
    31) Long Long Time - Linda Rondstadt

Songs disappearing this week:
    Summertime Blues - The Who
    I’ve Lost You - Elvis Presley
    Lay a Little Lovin On Me - Robin McNamara
    Tighter & Tighter - Alive & Kickin (Casey’s fave)
    Band of Gold - Freda Payne
    ***Robin McNamara & Alive & Kickin would not be heard from again.

Biggest Gainer:
    26) All Right Now - Free up 14 spots

Biggest Loser:
    23) Why Can’t I Touch You - Ronnie Dyson dropping 15 spots

One Hit Wonders:
    30) Joanne - Michael Nesmith
    29) Neanderthal Man - HotLegs
    28) Overture From Tommy - The Assembled Multitude
    26) All Right Now - Free
    10) Spill The Wine - Eric Burdon & War
    3) In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry

Debut Single:
    33) Closer to Home - Grand Funk Railroad
    23) Why Can’t I Touch You - Ronnie Dyson
    18) Rubber Duckie - Ernie/ Jim Henson
    14) Snowbird - Anne Murray
    9) Make It With You - Bread
    8) Close To You - The Carpenters

Last Single:
    20) Groovy Situation - Gene Chandler
    6) Patches - Clarence Carter

Oldies Played

From one of the most successful female song writers of all time. She is not just a writer, but a singer as well. With her only chart hit to date from 1962.
    It Might As Well Rain Until September - Carole King

When he was 16, the family baby sitter was 18. He loved her, she didn’t love him. He wrote her a poem, she wasn‘t impressed. He set it to music & it became his first #1 hit & multi million seller. From 1957
    Diana - Paul Anka

The guy playing drums on this song may be the most heard but least known artist in the country today. He has played the drums on the past 5 consecutive Grammy winning Songs of the Year. His name is Hal Blaine & he plays on this song from 1965.
    Taste of Honey - Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass

Many years ago, Enrico Caruso was singing the hit song O Solo Mio. Then along comes a guy named Tony Martin who kept the melody but changed the lyrics & he had a hit with There’s No Tomorrow. 10 years ago on Labor Day the #1 song was a fresh version with the same melody but with a third set of lyrics.
    It’s Now Or Never by Elvis Presley

Almost every genre is trying to claim this lady as one of their own. She won the best R&B Vocalist for 1968, performed at the Newport Jazz Fest, has a hit Gospel Album & was awarded the Grammy in 1969 as the Best Contemporary Artist. From 1968
    Do You Know the Way to San Jose - Dionne Warwick

Station Recognition:

AT Top 40 is heard weekly on great radio stations like:
    WMEX - Boston Mass.
    KSEL- Lubbock Texas
    KACY - Oxnard Cal.

Keep Your Feet on the ground & keep reaching for the stars!

Rolling Stone Issue 69

Dated October 29, 1970. Janis Joplin on the cover.

Back to back sad issues. First Jimi & now this one announcing the death of Janis. 1943- 1970.

This issue is page after page of tributes & interviews with her contemporaries. All interesting stuff, but certainly too much to synopsize easily. A couple of recurrent themes though is how happy she seemed at the time, yet no one expresses a huge degree of surprise at the news. Most of them talk about the lifestyle choices Janis made, her substance abuse issues, especially alcohol & later in life heroin. Early in her life her drug of choice had been meth. She seemed to many to be driven by demons towards self destruction.

Janis was found in her Hotel room in LA on Sunday Oct. 4th. She had been late for a recording session & her manager had a premonition that something was wrong, so he sent someone to the her room to check up on her. When she was found she was wedged between her bed & a night stand, wearing a short night gown. Her lips were bloody & she was clutching $4.50 in her hand. No drugs or works were found in the room but there were 12-14 fresh marks on her left arm. Lot’s of rumors have circulated but LA Coroner Thomas Noguchi found that she had indeed injected heroin just prior to her death.

Everyone interviewed, says that Janis was very happy in her life at the moment, she had even talked about marriage. She was back in the studio & liking what was coming out. She finished her last recording session just hours before her death.

Her body was cremated on Wednesday Oct. 7th as per her wishes., & a private, family only, ceremony was held at an undisclosed location.

Random Notes

To add to the sadness of Janis’ death there is also a report on Jimi’s funeral. The coroners inquest has confirmed that the cause of death was from choking on his own vomit after an overdose of sleeping pills. What is not determined is why he took them or if it was on purpose or accidental. He had taken a German pill called Vesperex. They came in packets of 10, one was found on the floor, the other nine were apparently taken.

Stax Records has recently bought itself back from Gulf & Western & installed 3 new vice presidents. David Porter, Steve Cropper & Isacc Hayes.

After the death of guitar player Al Wilson, Canned Heat have added Joe Scott, to fill out the line up on their British Tour.

Barry Gibb & Donovan
    have both taken the plunge & gotten married.

The Beach Boys are scheduled for an upcoming TV Special. Writing the music is Brian Wilson & …Van Dyke Parks…is this guy everywhere & at the same time nowhere at all?

Steve Miller has lost his drummer Tim Davis. Lee Michael's drummer, Frosty, has departed.

Jefferson Airplane is coming up with a fave cuts album…tentative title The Worst of Jefferson Airplane.

After dropping out of sight more than 6 months ago, in the midst of recording his album Life Have Been Beautiful, Taj Mahal has resurfaced in Spain where he has been hitching around the country playing on sidewalks & small cafes.

Barry Goldwater has come out for the legalization of marijuana.

Forest fires have always been an issue in So Cal. Lost in the latest fire was the Spahn Movie Ranch, home to the Manson Family.

The Teenage Girls Club of Patterson NJ has taken a poll & voted Iggy Pop as the worlds sexiest man.

Contrary to published reports, Duane Allman will not be joining Derek & The Dominos as a permanent member. He played on the upcoming album, & will make some shows on the upcoming tour, but his allegiance is to The Allman Brothers band. They have just released their second album.

After 8 months in the studio, with co-producers Van Dyke Parks (yep, him again) & Lanny Waronker, slide guitar aficionado, Ry Cooder has his first album ready for the public consumption.

After 10 years of recording together, multiple world tours, anti-war activities, & Peter Yarrow's recent jailing, Peter, Paul & Mary have decided to take a years sabbatical.

Roger McGuinn of The Byrds is interviewed:
    At the time of this interview, he is now the only original member of the band left. He says he began playing guitar in 1956 & officially entered the “pro” musician scene in Chicago in 1960 as part of the folk movement. For awhile he was a backup musician for The Limelighters & then he joined the Chad Mitchell Trio (whom he says had no credibility at all). Then he joined Bobby Darin as a backup musician for his Las Vegas act.

He met Gene Clark in LA & they decided to form a duet of sorts, even before Simon & Garfunkle quit playing under the name of Tom & Jerry. The first night he & Gene played together, they also met David Crosby who joined as another guitar player, but mostly as a high part harmonizer. They were soon joined by drummer Michael Clarke & mandolin player Chris Hillman & The Byrds were a reality.

He says that he almost left the group early to join with Dino Valenti in another band, because The Byrds had already recorded Tambourine Man a few months back & nothing was happening with it. He was becoming discouraged.

This issue has the first appearance of William Burroughs. It is an excerpted chapter from his upcoming novel “ The Revised Boy Scout Manual.”

Ads for groups or albums this issue:

Elvis - 50 Golden Hits on RCA

Rolling Stones - Git Yer Ya Ya’s Out distributed by London Records

Ruth Copeland - Self Portrait her debut album on the Invictus label…now on tour with Sly & The Family Stone

Zappa & The Mothers - Weasels Ripped My Flesh on Bizarre records & tapes.

Delany & Bonnie - To Bonnie from Delaney on ATCO

Redbone - Potlach their first album on Epic Records.

John Mayall - USA Union on Polydor Records

The Flock - Dinosaur Swamps on the Columbia label.

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother on Harvest Records

Linda Rundstadt - Silk Purse on Capitol

Seals & Crofts - Down Home distributed by Bell Records

Album Reviews:

Ringo Starr - Beaucoup of Blues
    I am prepared to say that you won’t be disappointed with Ringo’s all Country & Western album, shucks you’ll probably even like it. Ringo has always had a vaguely Country image anyway, so why not put out his first solo record (let’s be generous & forget Sentimental Journey) in the Country genre. Ringo may not be exactly New Horizons in Pop music, but, hell, he’s really pretty good after all…Charles Burton

Crabby Appleton - Crabby Appleton
    Crabby Appleton is an inventive LA group in the classic mold, which carries all the sullen narcissistic charisma any band needs. Another patented, short lived hype group? Nope, I’m happy to report that they are the real thing. No great innovation, but as satisfying a definition of a rock group as we have had this year. I like nearly everything on this nearly faultless first album, it communicates the vitality of the music & the American youth as well as any of the hype of the last 10 years…Lester Bangs
    I post this mainly to show how some of this stuff can be so wrong. This band would be a one hit wonder & have only one modestly successful follow up album.

Leo Kottke - 6 & 12 String Guitar
    With all the sh** that has been released recently, it was a distinct pleasure to come across this album. No doubt you won’t be able to find it in your record store, but any hardships you must endure to obtain a copy, are well worth the pleasure this album provides….Carl Brauer
    In my opinion, one of the most underrated & overlooked guitar players in history. Absolutely brilliant!

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band- Uncle Charlie & His Dog Teddy
    They have cut a vital album with both a sense of History & a smiling face. This isn’t a great record, but it doesn’t try to be. It’s an enjoyable record, it might even remind you that Americans could be enjoyable if they weren’t so dangerous…Alex Dubro

Other albums reviewed:

The Unspoken Word - The Unspoken Word

Mother Earth - Satisfied

The Yardbirds featuring performances by Beck Clapton & Page

Roberta Flack - First Take & Chapter Two…reviewed as a set.

Anthony Newman - Plays JS Bach

The Stooges - Funhouse

Elvis Presley - 50 Gold Award Hits

Johnny Winter - And

Beaver & Krause - In a Wild Sanctuary

Larry Johnson - Fast & Funky

Iron Butterfly - Metamorphosis

Loundon Wainwright III -

Carole King - Writer

For a years subscription you will get a copy of the new Hot Tuna album. A years worth of RS is now $8.00
    Last edited by razorbacker; 08-22-2009 at 09:02 AM.

+ Reply to Thread