+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Re: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Rolling Stone Issue 66

Dated September 17, 1970. The Grateful Dead on the cover.

The article on the Dead is written from back stage at The Fillmore West. It references a bit of the groups history including the break with their manager in early 1970 only to find out later that the guy had been stealing copious amounts of money from them.
    It also talks about the Workingman’s Dead album & how it was recorded in the space of 9 days. It was recorded amongst a bunch of personal & band turmoil & according to Jerry Garcia, the only solace the band could get during that time was in the studio, so it is pretty impressive that the album came out as good as it did.
    The band members are all branching out into other ventures & broadening horizons. Jerry himself, has begun to play Nashville style country music, sitting in on pedal steel guitar with a new group that is calling themselves New Riders of the Purple Sage.
    When the writer of the article finally leaves the floor of the Fillmore that night, the Dead had been onstage for 4 ½ hrs. & were still jamming, it was 1:30 in the morning.

Random Notes

Grace Slick & Paul Kantner are expecting a baby. Grace is looking for a nanny. They fully expect to name the baby God. God Slick.

John & Michelle Phillips are officially divorced. Michelle won a $10,000 settlement & $250 per month child support.

John Lee Hooker has a new album ready after two years. Backing him will be the guys from Canned Heat.

Don Everly of the Everly Brothers is planning a solo album, backed by members of the Burrito Brothers & Jim Keltner on drums from Mad Dogs & Englishmen.

Rita Coolidge’s first solo album is being backed by Stephen Stills & Booker T., among others. Rita is the famous Delta Lady sung about by Leon Russell.

Paul Rothschild, producer of The Doors, is in the studio giving life to the next album by Janis Joplin.

Christine Perfect has joined her husband John McVie as a new member of Fleetwood Mac. At the time, she can only tour with the band because she still has recording obligations with her other label.

Another off shoot of the John Mayall Blues Breakers has formed. The new band goes by the name of Mark-Almond.

Elvis is just wrapping up another of his extended stays in Las Vegas & is set to begin his first tour since 1958. First stop , September 9th in Phoenix.

Derek & The Dominoes are scheduled to begin their first US tour in NYC on October, 15th.

Stephen Stills was the only member of the original Buffalo Springfield to not be busted for drugs. Well, that came to an end on August 14th in a hotel in La Jolla Ca. He is under suspicion of being in possession of dangerous drugs. Released on $2,500 bond.

There is an interview with Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys. He & the band are pretty sure that the clean image they project is hurting them on sales & radio play levels. But, he claims it is partly their fault for not putting enough funk into the production of their songs.
    He claims to prefer mono to stereo but admits it’s probably because he has hearing in only one ear, so he doesn’t hear stereo anyway.
    For the first time they have used the moog synthesizer in the process of putting together songs for their latest album Sunflower.
    He says that probably their best song was Don’t Worry Baby, but his personal fave has to be Good Vibrations.

After 5 years, 5 gold albums, & 4 gold singles for Atlantic records, The Rascalls have signed a new contract with Columbia. It is reportedly a $million deal, but no one is commenting. They are scheduled back in the studio in September.

In 1937, Blues songstress Bessie Smith was killed in a car accident. At the time she was buried in an unmarked grave in Philadelphia because her family had no money for a gravestone. That has now been rectified thanks to Janis Joplin who paid for a marble grave stone to be installed at the gravesite.

Ads for groups or albums this issue:

Lee Michaels - Barrel on A&M Records

Bob Dylan - Self Portrait (a 2 record set) on Columbia Records

Neil Young - After The Gold Rush available now on Reprise records & tapes

Charles Lloyd - Moon Man on the Kapp label

Love - Revisited on Elektra

The Band - Stage Fright for Capitol

Procol Harum - Home on A&M

The Stooges - Fun House on Elektra

The Firesign Theater - Don’t Crush the Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers on Columbia

The Beach Boys - Sunflower their debut for Reprise

Uriah Heep - Their Debut album is now available on the Mercury Label

Frank Zappa - Weasels Ripped My Flesh on Bizarre Records & Tapes

The Moody Blues - A Question of Balance on Threshold/London Records

Album Reviews:

The Band - Stage Fright
    I am excited about Stage Fright, if not totally moved at this stage of the game. It is an amazing acquaintance, pleasant to be with, even if so far it does not amount to an event on my karma calendar. Later on it probably will. Glory is the operative word at this stage of the game & what this third album by the Band seems to lack is the glory of the previous two…John Burks

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
    Over across the tracks in the industrial side of Cream country lie unskilled laborers like Black Sabbath, which was hyped as a rockin ritual celebration of the Satanic mass or some such claptrap, something like England’s answer to Coven. Well, they’re not that bad, but that’s about all the credit you can give them. They have discordant jams with bass & guitar reeling like speed freaks all over each others perimeters yet never quite finding synch- just like Cream- but worse…Lester Bangs

Other albums reviewed:

John Cale - Vintage Violence

Otis Redding - Tell the Truth

Donovan - Open Road

John McLaughlin - Devotion

The Everly Brothers - Original Greatest Hits

Little Richard - The Rill Thing

John Stewart - California Bloodlines

Chuck Berry - Back Home

Miguel Rios - A Song of Joy

The Johnny Otis Show - Cuttin Up

MRD

I just love the reviews, because now, 40 years later, some of those albums are considered classics that no one would dare say a bad thing about. I think it's funny what the reviewers say because in hindsight, we see how right or wrong they were. Bangs seems to be wrong a lot.

It's also cool to see how changes in band line ups, how band breakups and new bands forming with members of other bands are slowly working together to bring us some of the really great groups and albums that defined the 70's.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

It’s pretty interesting to note the changes that happen to a band when they either add or subtract members.

For instance, part of the article about the Grateful Dead & their internal problems revolved around the departure of keyboard player Tom Constanten just before the band began to record Workingman’s Dead. It was talked about as a turning point in the bands direction & Jerry Garcia even mentioned that if Tom had still been around he would have never let the band go in the Country direction they did & the album would have never taken the shape it did. It was sort of addition by subtraction in this case.

In the case of Christine McVie joining Fleetwood Mac, it was definitely addition by addition. When she was finally out of her previous contract & allowed to record with the band, she became one of the their leading song writers. With the departure of previous leader Peter Green the band went from a full out Blues Band ( the album Then Play On for example) to a piano lead rockin boogie band. Christine was around for Kiln House but only provided backing vocals & album cover artwork, but she began to fully participate for the album Future Games & then by the time of Bare Trees the whole vibe of the band had changed & she & Danny Kirwin were in charge with some great assists from Bob Welch. The band was on it’s way to LA & the superstardom I don’t think they would have ever achieved without Christine.

Regarding the album reviews & especially the Black Sabbath review. Whether or not you like the band or the album, one thing for sure is that when the first thing you hear on their first album is that rain storm & church bells ringing ominously, you have to admit that was a hell of a way to introduce yourself to the public. I liked the album a lot & got a whole bunch of folks into Sabbath right after the album came out.

Wow, thanks again, Razor, for the great information. Amazing how many classics/people are on this list.
    Incredible to see Michelle Phillips' getting a $10k settlement and $250 per month child support. A lot has changed, hasn't it?
    I loved reading that information about Janis Joplin purchasing the gravestone for Bessie Smith. I never knew that. I just may have to raise a glass of Jack Daniels' to Ms. Joplin.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

It was never my intention & certainly was never on my radar to include these Casey Kasem countdown shows on this thread. But, when I heard the very first show I became addicted & I have now bought the first 12 shows (at $20 ea.) on CD & am wading my way through them. I think it is pretty interesting the way they have dovetailed time wise into the Rolling Stone issues & shows two sides of the same coin, (what was going on musically, in Rock & on the charts). Anyway, I'll keep putting these up as long as I can, unless you don't want me to, just tell me to stop & I will.

The sixth American Top 40 show with Casey Kasem. Aired August 8, 1970

Playing the hits from the Atlantic Coast to Waikiki Beach, from Canada to Mexico.

40) Maybe - The Three Degrees

39) Hitchin a Ride - Vanity Fare

38) Julie Do You Love Me - Bobby Sherman
    At the time of this show, Bobby was on the cover of more teen & romance magazines than any other artist. This song would go all the way to #5 & would be his last Top 10 single.

37) I Want to Take You Higher - Ike & Tina Turner

36) Groovy Situation - Gene Chandler

35) Do You See My Love - Jr. Walker & The All Stars

34) Solitary Man - Neil Diamond
    This song was originally released way back in 1966 but went only as high as #55, so it has taken 4 years to hit the Top 40. During those 4 years Neil would have 11 other hits to get into the Top 40. This time it would make it’s way as high as # 21.

33) Teach Your Children - CSN&Y

32) Lay Down - Melanie

31) The Sly, Slick & The Wicked - The Lost Generation

30) Big Yellow Taxi - The Neighborhood

29) Hand Me Down World - The Guess Who

28) Everybody’s Got the Right to Love - The Supremes

27) Summertime Blues - The Who

26) Ain’t No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross
    This is Diana’s second Top 40 hit & very first #1 hit after her departure from the Supremes. This one would go to the top & spend 3 weeks there. It was also the #1 R&B hit for a week. It was written by Ashford & Simpson who would go on to some chart success of their own.

25) Hi-De-Ho - Blood Sweat & Tears
    BS&T had a very weird chart phenomenon. They had 6 songs that would be Top 40 hits. Their first 3 would all go to #2 before stalling out, none of their next 3 would crash the Top 10. This was the first & most successful of the final 3, topping out at #14. It was written by the very successful duo of Carole King & Gerry Goffin.

24) Westbound #9 - The Flaming Ember

23) Lookin Out My Backdoor - Creedence Clearwater Revival
    John Fogerty was in his prime during this time. This would be the groups 5th song to go to #2 before stalling out. They would never hit the top. Sad for a group that is so much a part of the musical landscape of the time.

22) Are You Ready - Pacific Gas & Electric

21) Ohio - CSN&Y

20) Tell it all Brother - Kenny Rogers & the First Edition

19) Overture from Tommy - The Assembled Multitude

18) 25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago

17) The Love You Save - The Jackson 5

16) Patches - Clarence Carter

15) Get Up (I feel like being a) Sex machine - James Brown

14) Why Can’t I Touch You - Ronnie Dyson

13) Lay a Little Lovin on Me - Robin McNamara

12) I Just Can’t Help Believing - BJ Thomas

11) O-o-o Child - The Five Stairsteps

10) Ball of Confusion - The Temptations

9) Tighter & Tighter - Alive & Kickin

8) Mama Told Me - Three Dog Night

7) Band of Gold - Freda Payne

6) War - Edwin Starr

5) In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry

4) Spill The Wine - Eric Burdon & War

3) Signed, Sealed, Delivered - Stevie Wonder

2) Make it with You - Bread

1) Close to You - The Carpenters

New Songs this week:
    38) Julie Do You Love Me - Bobby Sherman
    34) Solitary Man - Neil Diamond
    26) Ain’t No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross
    25) Hi-De-Ho - Blood Sweat & Tears
    23) Lookin Out My Backdoor - Creedence Clearwater Revival

Songs disappearing this week:
    Gimme Dat Ting - The Pipkins
    A Song Of Joy - Miguel Rios
    Mississippi Queen - Mountain
    Silver Bird - Mark Lindsay
    Ride Captain Ride - Blues Image
    *** This would be the last time any of the above artists would be heard in the Top 40.

Biggest Gainer:
    18) 25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago gains 9 spots for the week

Biggest Loser:
    39) Hitchin a Ride - Vanity Fare dropped 20 spots

One Hit Wonders:
    31) The Sly, Slick & The Wicked - The Lost Generation
    30) Big Yellow Taxi - The Neighborhood
    22) Are You Ready - Pacific Gas & Electric
    19) Overture from Tommy - The Assembled Multitude
    13) Lay a Little Lovin on Me - Robin McNamara
    11) O-o-o Child - The Five Stairsteps
    9) Tighter & Tighter - Alive & Kickin
    5) In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry
    4) Spill The Wine - Eric Burdon & War

Debut Single:
    40) Maybe - The Three Degrees
    32) Lay Down - Melanie
    14) Why Can’t I Touch You - Ronnie Dyson
    7) Band of Gold - Freda Payne
    2) Make it with You - Bread
    1) Close to You - The Carpenters

Last Single:
    39) Hitchin a Ride - Vanity Fare
    36) Groovy Situation - Gene Chandler
    35) Do You See My Love - Jr. Walker & The All Stars

Oldies Played

1965 was the year of the Watts riots in LA, it was a big year of US escalation in Viet Nam & it was the year that this song would be the first ever protest song to hit the #1 spot.
    Eve Of Destruction - Barry McQuire

This song comes from the man that has been called Americas greatest entertainer by more sources than any other person. He is a singer, dancer, night club act, Broadway star & a movie star as well. This song comes from the Broadway musical Golden Rainbow starring Steve Lawrence & Eydie Gorme. It would hit #11 just a few months ago in 1969.
    I Gotta Be Me - Sammy Davis Jr.

Here is a song from the only Female Duo from England to ever hit the Top 10 in the U.S.. They were once secretaries together in a London brokerage firm when they decided to take voice lessons at night. They recorded this, their only Top 40 hit, in 1963 & would watch it go all the way to #3. (This was also a Top 10 Country hit for Ernest Tubb way back in 1950.)
    You Don’t Have to be a Baby to Cry - The Caravelles

Well, here is some good news. Ringo Starr is reporting that the breakup of the Beatles is only temporary & they should be back in the studio again real soon. This one made it all the way to #2 for the guys in 1964.
    Do You Want To Know a Secret - The Beatles

This group has more comedy hits that any other act in the history of the charts. They were a vocal group from LA & this was their biggest & only #1 hit.
    Yakety Yak - The Coasters

Keep Your Feet on the ground & keep reaching for the stars!

MRD

I never got the appeal of Bobby Sherman although I did embrace other teen pop idols. Well not literally.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

One of my favorite songs on these current countdowns is Westbound #9 by The Flaming Ember. This was a white R&B group out of Detroit, & quite honestly back during those days I always thought they were black. So, if you aren't familiar with either the group or the song, I plead with you to go to youtube & search the following:

Flaming Ember - Westbound #9

There will be multiple vids that come up, but there is one of them doing the song on one of those cheesy rock shows where all the performances are canned & the band is obviously not playing. Watch it...it's pretty funny, looks like the drummer is playing an entirely different song all together. Notice the lead singer & his way to short bell bottom pants.

The singer, is a guy by the name of Joe Sladich & for my money he had one of the best voices around. He really knows how to put his heart & soul into the song. I have always loved this song & his vocals.

Rolling Stone Issue 67

Dated October, 1, 1970. Felix Cavaliere & The Rascals on the cover.

The article is entitled The Blackest White Group of all. Here are some highlights:
    Group leader Felix Cavaliere was born in the Bronx & states that his preference for black music stems from tighter & happier rhythms. The music just made more sense to him than the stuff of Bill Haley.
    Unlike the Stones, Joe Cocker, Delaney & Bonnie, Van Morrison, Creedence, & Dr. John who have all used soul as a jumping off place, The Rascals have immersed themselves in the genre.
    The Rascals began in 1965 playing gigs at the Choo Choo Club in Garfield NJ. They didn’t have a name yet, but they set themselves apart & became known as “the guys that wore knickers.”
    Sid Bernstein a NY city promoter & future Rascals manager, promoted them for the very first time by putting a message on the scoreboard at Shea Stadium proclaiming “The Rascals Are Here.” This was done during the historic first appearance by The Beatles.
    The band has just signed a $ million contract with Columbia records. At the time of this article they had already had 4 Gold Albums, 4 Gold Singles, & a Platinum Album. But, here’s the weird thing. Despite the new contract & all the publicity, The Rascals had their last Charted single over a year ago & would have no more….ever.

Random Notes:

Jimi Hendrix has just opened his Electric Lady, recording studio in NYC. The first artists to use it has been Led Zepplin who mixed their latest album there.

Here is a letter written by Paul McCartney to the British Magazine, Melody Maker. “In order to put out of it’s misery the limping dog story which has been dragging across your pages for the past year, my answer to the question “Will the Beatles ever record together again?”…is NO!

Now that Traffic is back together, they need a bass player. Once Blind Faith disbanded, bass player Rick Gretch was left without a gig. So, Steve Winwood reaches out to his ex band mate & Rick becomes Traffic’s new bass man.

Rumors out of LA are that the next big singer songwriter to make a splash will be an Englishman that has been playing the LA Club scene lately. He goes by the name of Elton John & many are singing his praises.

After beginning his new album in London with the help of Mick Jagger, Ringo Starr & George Harrison, Leon Russell is now off to Muscle Shoals to put the finishing touches on it.

After more than a years separation due to disagreements, evidently the lure of the dollar has brought The Bee Gees back together as a threesome. They are set to get a single out post haste & are working on the next album.

Alcatraz Island is still being held by a group of American Indians who claim it is theirs. They are isolated & without many things including food. So CCR has bought a boat & given it to them so they can go to the store for provisions.

Al “Blind Owl” Wilson, founding member, lead guitar & harmonica player for Canned Heat has been found dead in the back yard of band mate Bob Hite’s home in Topanga Canyon. Cause of death has yet to be determined. He was 27. He wrote both On The Road Again, & Goin Up The Country.

John Kay of Steppenwolf is serious about his political aspirations. He is set to run for a position on the Junior College School Board in 1971. Unfortunately for John, he may not make it to far up the food chain. At this time he still has not become a US citizen. He was born in East Prussia & retains his German citizenship for the time being.

Curtis Mayfield, who has been a member of the Impressions & the main singer & songwriter for the past 10 years, has decided to try & make a go of it as a solo artist. He will, however, continue as a producer for the band.

Jim Morrison is in Florida to stand trial for his charges of indecent exposure stemming from allegedly exposing himself on stage 18 months ago in Miami. The trial is scheduled to last 6 to 10 weeks.

Hunter S. Thompson makes his first appearance in the magazine with an article called The Battle For Aspen…he is a candidate for sheriff. This a long long article which I mostly skipped, but here are some of his campaign platforms:
    1) Tear up all the asphalt streets & replace them with sod.
    2) Change the name of Aspen to Fat City
    3) Drug sales must be controlled. He would set up a set of stocks in which to place dishonest dealers for public humiliation.
    4) Hunting & Fishing is to be banned for all non residents, unless those non residents can get a signed endorsement from a legal resident.
    5) The sheriff nor his deputies will ever be armed in public.
    6) He will personally harass anyone engaged in any form of land rape.

Ads for groups or albums this issue:

New York Rock Ensemble - Roll Over on Columbia

Yellow Hand- Their first record with original music by Neil Young Steve Stills, Delaney Bramlett & Mac Davis is available on Capitol

Cat Stevens - Mona Bone Jakon…be the first on your block to discover Cat’s first album on A&M

Randy Bachman- His first solo album AXE is now available on RCA

Johnny Winter - Johnny Winter And on Columbia Records & Tapes

Aretha Franklin - Spirit in the Dark on the Atlantic Label

Compton & Batteau - In California…They prove you don’t always have to plug in to make a point. Sensuous music is in, plugs are out.

Mungo Jerry - Available now on Janus Records

Free - Fire & Water on A&M

Quicksilver Messenger Service - Just for Love on Capitol

Roberta Flack - Chapter Two

John Stewart - Willard on Warner Bros. produced by Peter Asher

Album Reviews:

Frank Zappa - Weasels Ripped My Flesh
    This random collection of editing room snippets recorded at Mothers concerts over the last few years finds the group peerless in the field of amalgamating satire, musical adventuresomeness, & flash. This could be because they are the only ones attempting it. For this latest, Zappa comes closer than any other record I can think of in meeting the needs of both rock & jazz listeners…Bill Reed

Joe Cocker - Mad Dogs & Englishmen
    This live 2 album set is probably indispensable to diehard Cocker fans. Everyone else should proceed with caution. With the exception of Leon Russell who excels on guitar & piano, no one else has any musical identity on this album. Every other guy in the group seems to be playing fills for everyone else, & the arrangements are oh so mechanical & predictable….Pete Nartez

Doors - Absolutely Live
    Elektra calls this set an “organic documentary” which means they took a year to record it at various performances splicing it together to sound like one “ideal” performance. When Jim Morrison shows up drunk at a concert, that is his privilege” problem?”. But, when so many of these cuts feature him in this cliffhanging condition, one wonders who is the loser. Morrison or the record buyer…Gloria Vanjak

Uriah Heep
    If this group makes it, I’ll have to commit suicide. From the first note, you know you don’t want to hear any more. Uriah, is a watered down, tenth rate Jethro Tull, only even more boring & inane. According to the enclosed promo information, they spent a year in the studio rehearsing & writing songs. If they had played live in clubs they would have been thrown off the stage & we’d have been saved the waste of time, money & vinyl…Melissa Mills

Other albums reviewed:

Sir Douglas Quintet - 1 plus 1 plus 1 is 4.

Lonnie Mack - For Collectors Only

The Beach Boys - Sunflower

Carl Oglesby - Carl Oglesby

John Simon - John Simon’s Album

Wild Child Butler - Keep n Doing what You’re Doing

David Allan Coe - Penitentiary Blues

Jake - Jake & the Family Jewels

Singles Reviewed:

The Pipkins - Gimme Dat Ding

Hand Me Down World - The Guess Who

Razor, please keep posting. It's like a look back in time and oh so fun.
    Thank you
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3634385;
    Razor, please keep posting. It's like a look back in time and oh so fun.
    Thank you
    Believe me I'm getting a kick out of it as well. Couple of interesting things. On the last one of those Casey Kasem countdowns he quotes Ringo as saying that The Beatles will be back in the studio real soon. Yet, this issue of RS, which came out around the same time, Paul, give it an absolute No Way.

I like how right in the middle of a page, there'll be one little paragraph, hardly worth noticing at all, unless looking back in time like these things are allowing us to do. For instance the off handed way we were first introduced to the name of Elton John in this issue.

And someone really hated Uriah Heep!

+ Reply to Thread