+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Re: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Rolling Stone Issue 8

Dated April 6 1968 Lou Adler & John Phillips on the cover.

Price has increased to 35 cents.

Jon Landau writes an article about the Boston Sound & asks if it is for real. Four new albums by Boston based groups have just been released; Ultimate Spinach, Orpheus, Beacon Street Union, & Eden’s Children. Landau calls all of these albums either a badly produced mess or a pretentiousness bunch of original songs that border on hate music.
    So just based on those albums, I’d say NO Bostons’ sound would not have a big impact for a while to come.

Jimi Hendrix has just received two gifts from Seattle. A key to the city, & his honorary High School diploma, he was a high school drop out.

Steve “Guitar” Miller writes an article about the British music scene titled “Queer Bits In Underwear.” He calls the whole thing a “music industry” instead of a music scene. He claims that 7 of the Top 10 songs are performed by studio musicians instead of the groups listed. The big groups are actually working outside England including , The Who, Eric Burdon & Cream. He says that the best new British group & the one he likes the best is Traffic.
    The Steve Miller Band is in England to record their album & have ditched plans to use George Martin as a producer because he is too expensive, & will go with Glyn Johns as engineer & produce themselves instead.
    While in England the whole band with the exception of Steve was busted for “Maintaining a premise where marijuana was used.” Their manager was also busted for possession of LSD.

Elvin Bishop is scheduled to leave The Butterfield Blues band in April to form his own band. Other lead guitarists are being mentioned as replacements including Mick Taylor.
    I really like Elvin Bishop. I saw him one night open up for Steven Stills & he absolutely stole the show.

Frankie Lyman the leader of the Teenagers & lead singer on Why Do Fools Fall in Love, has died of a drug overdose.

A “New Face” to look for in the near future, with a big future ahead of him, is Jackson Browne.
    Well at least they got that one right. As I write this XM radio plays Doctor My Eyes.

Mike Bloomfield is interviewd by Jann Wenner: He calls Clapton the “perfect” guitarist. He says he quit the Butterfield Blues band to for The Electric Flag because Elvin Bishop was being a drag. It seems Elvin wanted to play lead guitar & Mike didn’t dig the competition. He calls the Stones a boy’s band because they don’t play men’s music,oooo, nice.
    If you want to learn the history of the Chicago Blues scene & the people who played there this is the interview for you.

There is a great review of Zappa & The Mothers We’re Only in it for the Money. The author calls it “the most advanced work to be heard in rock today.” He doesn’t say it’s the best album & avoids the trap of comparing musical styles, he just likes what Zappa has to say & how he says it. He says that Zappa is one of the few musicians today to develop a sufficient musical language without the aid of The Beatles. He does make the point, however, that The Beatles & others hold up better on repeated listenings than Zappa does, but for pure shock value & creativity, Zappa does it best.
    He also ask the about Lumpy Gravy, which was advertised 4 months ago but has not been released.
    I always thought Frank was a true genius that didn’t get enough credit for his guitar playing ability. I felt that most people always wanted to look at his humor & ignore his playing.

Album Reviews:

Vincebus Eruptum - Blue Cheer
    This is the groups first album. The reviewer says the band knows what it wants to do onstage, but hasn’t found that groove in the studio. He says that the band as a Trio just doesn’t match up to Hendrix or Cream & could definitely use another member.

Axis Bold as Love - Jimi Hendrix
    I had a bit of trouble figuring out if the reviewer liked this album or not. For instance he says “ Hendrix’ songs are basically a bore & The Experience also shares with Cream the problem of vocal ability.” But he then follows up with this, “ Hendrix on Axis demonstrates conclusively that he is one of rock’s greatest guitar players & as uneven in quality as Axis is it is still the finest voodoo album any rock group has produced to date.”
    For my tastes, I am one of the few I’m sure, but I never much cared for Hendrix' music, & still don’t.

Singles Reviews:
    Mighty Quinn - Manfred Mann
    Dylan has previously stated that Mann is the best interpreter of his songs. So he sent the band Quinn The Eskimo to record, & the reviewer likes what they did with it.

There are still a bunch of those roach clips available as a gift to new subscribers. Hurry while supplies last.

MRD

My husband has always been a huge Zappa fan and says the same thing, about Zappa being a genius and not getting enough credit.

I have always loved Elvin Bishop and Steve Miller.

Great review, thanks for continuing to do this.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2665461;
    I didn't realize that Peaches and Herb had been around that long. I remember that god awful song of theirs from the 70's: Reunited.
    Wasn't that just an AWFUL song? YIKES
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2686981;
    Wasn't that just an AWFUL song? YIKES
    The only other worse song from the same period is "You Light Up My Life"

I want to gag when I hear that one and I can't change the radio or tv channel fast enough when it (rarely) comes on.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

*shudders* eek! runs out of the room at the thought of debbie boone and you light up my life
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Rolling Stone Issue 9

Dated April 27, 1968. Yellow Submarine on the cover.

Eric Clapton along with Richie Furay, Neil Young & Jim Messina of Buffalo Springfield ( Dewey Martin & Steven Stills were not present) were among a group of people busted in LA for being in a place where marijuana was suspected of being used. Bail was $1,250 each. Neil Young has also just announced he will be leaving Buffalo Springfield to try a solo career.

There is a nice photo on the letters to the editors page of Keith Moon, by Linda Eastman, her first for the magazine.

As reported in the last issue members of the Steve Miller band were busted in London. The sentence has been announced and a fine of $25.20 was paid. That’s the total fine for everybody & includes no probation.

Frank Zappa & The Mothers have been schedule to play a live gig in NYC for the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences (even he doesn‘t know why). The program states Music by Woody Herman, Entertainment by The Mothers. Needless to say Zappa went of on the press stating that they have no clue about who the Mothers are or what they do. “Everybody who interviews me doesn’t know a f***ing thing about what we do. They always come in & say Hi! Who are you?” Frank let them know…

Comings & Goings:

Graham Parsons has joined The Byrds.
    Frank Cook, the drummer for Canned Heat has left the band to manage the Pacific Gas & Electric Company.
    Mickey Hart has joined The Grateful Dead as a second drummer.
    The Blues Project has disbanded.
    Arlo Guthrie is set to go in front of the camera to play himself as Alice’s Restaurant begins filming.
    Joan Baez announces she is marrying the student body president from Stanford. He is the one who led a bunch of anti war protests.
    There is a keyboard player on Tom Rush’s new album by the name of Roosevelt Gook. You might recognize him as none other than Bob Dylan.
    Jann Wenner the head of Rolling Stone has this to say about Blue Cheer. “ It’s nice that they have long hair & can afford a dozen Marshall amps….but if you are going to start a Rock & Roll band, the thing is that you should know something about music.” Yikes!!! Get down Jann!

Ben Fong Torres writes his first article for the magazine, covering a strike by DJ’S at a pair of FM stations.

Bill Graham opened the Fillmore East just this past month. Opening night performers were Big Brother & The Holding Company.

Part 2 of the interview with Mike Bloomfield & he has this to say about going into the studio to play on Bob Dylan’s album Highway 61 Revisited (including playing guitar on Like A Rolling Stone): “ Bob is a weird cat, you know: weird music, weird words, weird session. You know, Where’s the charts? Where’s the Music? Where’s the chord sheets? Very weird. But I had never been on a professional big time session with studio musicians. I didn’t know anything. I liked the songs. If you had been there, you would have seen it was a very disorganized weird scene. Since then I’ve played on millions of sessions, and I realize how really weird that Dylan session was.”
    Dylan must have had been doing something right, he’s still making great music. Mike was found dead in his car of a drug overdose Feb. 15, 1981 in San Francisco.

Al Kooper writes an article about Traffic. He calls Stevie Winwood the greatest white blues singer he has ever heard, & references the song “ Nobody Knows you when you’re Down & out” that Stevie recorded at the ripe old age of 17, as being just mind blowing. Winwood had garnered the nickname of Superfreak from those inside the music enclave. Now at the age of 19, Stevie is playing guitar, piano, singing & composing most of Traffics music. Dave Mason has just left the group after the first album because he didn’t want to travel or be famous. He hopes to continue to record with & write for the band.

Jann Wenner writes an expose on Blood Sweat & Tears & calls them the best thing to happen to Rock so far in 1968 (it‘s only the end of March though). The band was started by Al Kooper who frankly admits to not being the best musician, but calls himself a composer. He wrote This Diamond Ring for Garry Lewis & the Playboys for example.

Album Reviews:
    The Notorious Byrd Brothers - The Byrds
    David Crosby has departed, yet the reviewer likes the album a lot calling The Byrds a great studio band. Evidently the band had been getting a lot of heat lately about not being able to translate their studio performances to the stage, the following is the first paragraph of the review:
    Lots of people are down on the Byrds. It is very well known that the group is plastic Los Angeles. They haven’t been able to perform decently in years. They are essentially a recording act unable to reproduce their music effectively on stage. Like The Beatles, I suppose.
    This review was written by Jon Landau. He was previously responsible for persuading Atlantic records to sign the J. Geils Band ( & producing their first album to disastrous results) . And is still to this day the manager & producer of Bruce Springsteen.

Heaven is in Your Mind - Traffic
    This album name was changed to Dear Mr. Fantasy after the first pressing. Winwood is now 18 & referred to, once again, as the major blues voice of the generation.

Steppenwolf - Steppenwolf
    The review states that this band used to be known as The Sparrow, were from Canada, migrated to San Francisco & were not very good. But, as Steppenwolf they moved to LA, got better, & they have released a very good first album. The interesting thing about this review is that the reviewer talks about the whole album without ever once mentioning either Born to be Wild or The Pusher.
    Now there is a guy that seems to have missed the point.

They must have gone through all the roach clips. Now, as an enticement to new subscribers they are offering the new & posthumous album by Otis Redding called Dock of the Bay.

Rolling Stone Issue 10

Dated May 11, 1968. Eric Clapton on the cover. Photo by Linda Eastman.
    It has always been a mystery to me how Clapton can always look so different from photo to photo. He is the true chameleon.

The first article this issue is about the Yippies (Youth International Party) & their plans to hold demonstrations during the Democratic National Convention in August. Jann Wenner calls the protest “ in methods & means, as corrupt as the political party it hopes to disrupt.” Jerry Rubin is the head of the Yips & Dick Gregory has already stated that he will not let the convention happen. However, neither of these guys or their minions are speaking to each other, so trouble is looming on the horizon between dissident groups. This is the first blatant political stance that The Rolling Stone has taken.
    My crystal ball says that this whole Democratic Convention Protest thing will come to no good. People may just get hurt.

Hey, it’s the second list of new & available albums. Here’s a few. See if you remember any of them.
    Bonzo Dog Band - Gorilla
    Booker T & the M.G.’S - Doin Our Thing
    Doctor John - Night Tripper Gris Gris
    Buddy Guy - A Man with the Blues
    Hour Glass - Power of Love
    Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
    1910 Fruitgum Company - Simon Says
    Sly & the Family Stone - Dance to the Music
    Small Faces - There are but 4 Small Faces
    Tiny Tim - God Bless Tiny Tim
    Velvet Underground - White Light White Heat

Happenings as John J Rock sees it:
    Aretha is the first female to receive 5 Gold Records for singles.
    Otis Redding is the first to ever receive a Gold Record posthumously.
    John Wesley Harding has become Dylan’s 5th Gold Record.
    Lady Madonna has become the Beatles 15th #1 in England.
    Steve Miller has returned from London with the new album finished & scheduled for release May 1.
    The Grateful Dead have turned over the tapes for their first new album in over a year. No release date yet.

There is a really nice tribute & obituary for Frankie Lymon of Teenagers fame. He died in 1968 at the age of 26. The story of how “Why do Fools Fall in Love” came about is told. Frankie had fallen for a classmate of his at the ripe old age of 14. She didn’t respond & sent him packing. Frankie went home & spent days trying to write a love poem, but one phrase kept coming to the surface. Why Do Fools fall in Love? The words & music were completed & as they were performing it one night in a local soda shop they were heard by a member of the already popular recording group The Valentines. He took the Teenagers to his record company, they were signed, went into the studio the next day, & the rest became early (1956) Rock & Roll History.

The interview this time is Eric Clapton. He is asked “Who do you think the best groups on the British scene are other than The Beatles & The Stones. The one group he singles out interesting enough is THE Pink Floyd.
    The interviewer then asks: What does THE Pink Floyd do?
    To which Clapton answers: “Very strange group. The nearest thing you would have to them here-well can’t even think of anyone. Very freaky. They’re not really psychedelic. They just do things like play a one hr. set that is just one number. They are into a lot of electronic things. They are really a very nice group. They’re unambitious & they give you a nice feeling watching them. They aren’t trying to put anything over on you.”
    I think it’s interesting how they were still referred to as THE Pink Floyd & even Clapton at the time had no idea how to describe them.

He talks about his influence on the youth: “There’s funny things that would go on - like at one gig I would wear a red military jacket & I’d play & everyone would really get knocked out.. And then we’d do the next gig a couple of weeks later somewhere else & everybody in the audience would be wearing red military jackets. And I’d have a mustache & be wearing a green suede jacket & everybody would be going What have we done wrong?

Album Reviews:
    A Long Time Comin - The Electric Flag
    This album is referred to as “ The new soul music, the synthesis of White Blues & Heavy Metal Rock.” The album “is suspended in a blues-soul limbo working feverishly to figure itself out.”
    I guess critics are always looking for a way to phrase something that makes the reader stand up & say WHAT ! Faith Hill would be proud….

Gorilla - Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band
    I’m not really familiar with this British band, but the reviewer likes the album. The one interesting thing I found in the review was a song called Death Cab For Cutie. I wonder if that’s where the latter day band got their name? Anyone know?

For only $5 for a 6 month subscription you can still get a free copy of the new Otis Redding album. Just add 50cents for shipping & handling.

Rolling Stone Issue 11

Dated May 25, 1968. Vol. II. No. I On the Cover… Rock & Roll Fashion

Monterey Pop is once again front & center. It appears as though $52,000 is missing from the proceeds & the States Attorney General is looking into where that money went. All signs seem to be pointing toward the bookkeeper that was hired after the festival to straighten out the books. There are, surprisingly enough, $52,000 of cancelled checks that this woman made out to her husband.
    Now there’s a coincidence for you.

Jann Wenner writes a nice article about Johnny Cash & the influence he & Country music is having on Rock & Roll, Dylan, & The Byrds.

Less than a year after their formation & only two months after their first album, Blood Sweat & Tears has lost founding member Al Kooper & Randy Becker who lead the horn section. The split came about because Kooper wanted the band to go more in a Pop direction, the band wished to go for a more Jazz oriented sound.

The Beatles are getting ready to get back in the studio after their extended stay in India. They are armed with 30 songs, all of which were written while studying with the Maharishi.

A man named Jerry Ragavoy has just opened the recording studio known as the Hit Factory. He is an R&B producer with credits including Let’s Get Together by The Staple Singers, &Roy Redmond’s version of the Beatles song Good Day Sunshine. He also wrote Time is on My Side for the Rolling Stones, under the pseudonym of Norman Meade. Ragavoy was the co-writer for the Janis Joplin/Big Brother song Piece of my Heart, Either Side of Town by Elvis Costello, & Sure Thing by Dionne Warwick among many others. In more recent times he has gone on to produce Bonnie Raitt.

The column John J Rock includes the following:
    Janis Joplin is becoming a fashion icon, having recently been photographed for several fashion mags.
    Manfred Mann guitarist Klaus Voorman is the same person that designed the Beatles cover for Revolver.
    Elvin Bishop is shopping for musicians for his new band, having left Butterfield Blues Band for good.
    Soupy Sales has signed with Motown. Yikes!!

There is a battle brewing in the pages of RS. Last issue Ralph Gleason (managing editor & opinion columnist) wrote an article about Mike Bloomfield basically calling him a shuck & jive white boy, trying to do black music, in a white vein. This week Nick Gravenities “Nick the Greek” a compatriot of Bloomfield from the Butterfield Blues Band & The Electric Flag is not happy & answers back. It all boils down to the question, is Bloomfield a pretender or is Gleason a racist?

Album Reviews:

Wow- Moby Grape
    The reviewer doesn’t like this album at all as a follow up to the bands other great albums. In fact here is what is said: “ …Unfortunately we are not given much music of interest, as a matter of fact, this is one of the most astonishingly poor San Francisco albums to date.” The lead singer Bob Mosley is referred to as “unbearably mealy mouthed“.
    Maybe he hasn’t heard The Electric Prunes or Blue Cheer.

Bookends - Simon & Garfunkel
    The reviewer calls the music slick & not too much happens. He then goes on to say “ It is also, & this is certainly not a fault per se, not rock & roll, whatever that is.” The author does however like Parsley, Sage Rosemary & Thyme & calls Mrs. Robinson “ Perhaps the best song of the movie genre.” Punky’s Dilemma & At the Zoo though are called “just a little too cute“.

This is kind of a strange issue. There are articles on Rock & Roll fashions & the decline of Rock Concert Poster Art. A lot of salad, but not much meat, in my opinion. I guess all magazines have those issues once in a while.

Rolling Stone Issue 12

Dated June 22, 1968. Bob Dylan on the cover. This is a special issue on the LA music scene. Vol. II No. 2

Prior to the release of Nashville Skyline, Dylan did a series of “basement tapes” as a demo for other artists to listen to & perhaps record. One of the songs was Quinn the Eskimo, released by Manfred Mann. Dylan was backed during this session by a group named The Crackers, they were formerly named The Hawks, but we would come to know them as just The Band. Levon Helm, Rick Danko & Robbie Robertson. Most of these songs have never seen the light of day.
    Just as an aside. I had the opportunity to be at the very last show of the Before The Flood tour with Dylan & The Band, at the Forum in LA. It was a most memorable experience. They guys even dressed in Tuxedo’s for this one & had an onstage water fight after the final encore that included Bill Graham.

News of Note:
    The Stones will be releasing their new single on May 24th. They call it Jumpin Jack Flash. Mick talks about recording the song & states that they did part of it on a cassette tape while just sitting around his house. Charlie Watts was playing toy drums & the sound they got was so strange that they decided to keep it. He is also asked if The Stones will ever tour again. He says probably so, but they just can’t go on forever. How wrong he was!
    The Byrds have finished recording their new album, partly in Nashville. While there they made a rare appearance for a rock band at the Grand Ol Opry.
    A new band called Mother Earth have just signed with Mercury records. The band includes Tracy Nelson vocals, Mark Naftalin organ, George Rains drums, Jance Garfat bass, & Herbert Thomas guitar.
    I have never heard of them, but RS thought at the time they were going to be pretty special.
    Paramount Pictures corp. has just bought Stax/Volt records from Atlantic Records.
    Buffalo Springfield has disbanded as of May 5th, due to “a combination of internal hassle, & extreme fatigue coupled with absence of national success & run ins with the fuzz.”

One of the writers tells about going to meet Mick Jagger in the new Stones offices. He describes Mick as being dressed in a BROWN corduroy jacket, PINK frilled shirt, GREEN pants, & BLACK shoes.
    I suspect it was pretty dark when Mick got dressed for that meeting.
    MGM has let their option drop for Frank Zappa, so he has formed his own label.
    Johnny Cash has signed long term with Columbia Records.
    Across the Universe by The Beatles was recorded at the same time as Lady Madonna. It was originally scheduled for use on an all-star charity LP, but the LP was scratched. RS says the song will probably never be released now. Wrong again, RS.

Ben Fong-Torres writes a profile for a new artist called Gordon Lightfoot. According to Ben, Gordon is a man on the threshold of some very big times & money in the US. Pretty good call on that one! However, we are still 3 years away from his first American hit, If You Could Read My Mind.At this early stage on his career he has already written 130 songs in Canada & has seen Early Morning Rain & For Loving Me get recorded. He apparently grossed $250k last year on royalties in Canada alone.

We now come to the article on the LA Scene. The writer certainly has a love hate relationship with the music scene in LA calling it in turn “ A three ring circus in search of a tent” & “70 scenes in search of a happening, & as clownish, amazing & freaky as a circus parade.” But, there is no denying the talent based in LA at the moment. Acts such as Sonny & Cher, The Righteous Brothers, The Monkees, The Byrds, David Crosby, Van Dyke Parks, Zappa & The Mothers, The Beach Boys, The Chambers Brothers, The Turtles, The Mamas & Papas, Paul Revere & the Raiders, Love, The Association, Canned Heat, Ike & Tina Turner, Taj Mahal, Steppenwolf, Buffalo Springfield, Jackson Browne, Stone Poneys (with Linda Rondstadt), the Doors & Iron Butterfly.
    The Beatles have returned to New York to denounce the Maharishi calling their public involvement with him a “mistake.”

Album Reviews:

Lumpy Gravy - Frank Zappa
    It is a “ curiously inconsistent piece which started out to be a ballet, but probably didn’t make it.” The reviewer doesn’t much care for the album yet in the end says “ Zappa makes mistakes other rock composers would be proud to call their own best music.”
    I own this album, & even as a Zappa fan I have to say it’s one of my least favorites.

The Twain Shall Meet - Eric Burdon & The Animals
    The first side of the album is a downer. The second side contains only 3 songs, Sky Pilot seems to be the only high point. The reviewer ends by saying “ Ever since The Animals became Eric Burdon & The Animals & they began writing their own material, Burdon has been less the headliner he claims to be.”

Children of the Future - Steve Miller Band
    This is the bands first album & is placed right up their with the first effort by Moby Grape & in terms of taste ranks along side Sgt. Pepper. The reviewer especially like the songs Steppin Stone, Roll With It, & Junior Saw It Happen. “ One would not characterize the album as being “far out” or revolutionary, but rather as being excellent.”

Rolling Stone Issue 13

Dated July 6, 1968. Tiny Tim on the cover. Vol. II No. 3

News of Note:
    All 3 members of Cream are denying rumors of a break up.
    Little Willie John singer/songwriter & one of the co-writers for the often recorded Fever, has been found dead in his jail cell in the State Pen located in Walla Walla. He was convicted of manslaughter when he stabbed a man after a concert. He was 30 at the time of death.
    Bill Graham is building a 12 track recording studio in San Francisco (first 12 track on the West Coast). Clive Davis, president of Columbia Records is negotiating with Graham for space in the building to be used for recording SF groups under contract to him.
    Diana Ross & The Supremes, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, & Gladys Knight & the Pips, under the direction of Barry Gordy & Motown records have just performed a benefit for the poor peoples march in Atlanta. They were asked to do so by Mrs. Martin Luther King.
    In an about face & change of attitude, Dave Mason has rejoined Traffic & will be recording & touring with the band.
    The Stones have announced that the title of their new album will be Beggars Banquet. It includes the first single Jumpin Jack Flash. Meanwhile, Brian Jones has been arrested for possession of Indian Hemp.
    Peter Green (guitar, mouth harp & vocals), Jeremy Spencer (guitar & vocals), Mick Fleetwood (drums), John McVie (bass), known as the British Blues band Fleetwood Mac, will be doing their first tour of America beginning in June. Their first album, self titled, & their first single, Black Magic Woman, is scheduled for release also in June.
    Jerry Lee Lewis has been portraying Iago in Shakespeare’s Othello (the play is running under title of Catch My Soul) for the past month in LA.
    Laura Nyro is failing on the sales charts. On the other hand Simon & Garfunkel in large part due to The Graduate soundtrack have made a great comeback. All of their albums are on the top sellers charts & 3 of them are in the Top 10.
    The Yardbirds will officially call it quits at the end of their current US tour.
    Bob Dylan’s backup band, The Crackers, have recorded their first album. It includes Dylan’s song I Shall Be Released. I think we may hear from these guys in the future, but that’s just my thoughts.
    The Strawberry Alarm Clock ( Incense & Peppermints/one hit wonders) has been busted for pot, just outside of East Peoria Il.. They have hired defense attorney Melvin Belli.

The article on Tiny Tim has the following quotations:
    “I’m sorry to say, in all fairness, you’ll never be anything.” His Mother
    “You’ll never get anywhere singing in that sissy voice.” His Father
    This is a very sad story on so many fronts. It talks about how he was the only one to really have any faith in himself, how he carried his ukelele around in an old shopping bag just hoping for a break, how he haunted the offices of record company execs to no avail & how his faith in God helped him not to give up his dream. As a testament to his perseverance it is stated that just the year before Tiny would gross $2500.00, but he was n course to gross 1/2million this year. His album ( God Bless Tiny Tim) is selling 30,000 per week.

There is an article on 2001 a Space Odyssey. And I have to be honest & say I skipped it. I may be the only person in America that was age appropriate when this movie came out that didn’t like it. I absolutely hated & still hate this movie.

Album Reviews:
    The Mama’s & The Papa’s
    The album is said to be missing the “strident excitement’ of the first album, “but the richer harmonics of this album are more substantial & more of a joy to listen to repeatedly.”

Quicksilver Messenger Service
    The reviewer seems to think the band is being influenced way to much by The Electric Flag & Mike Bloomfield. The problem with the album is that it shows a lack of original direction. But, having said that the reviewer says the debut album by QMS is still better than the debut effort by the Grateful Dead.

Joni Mitchell
    Her debut album “despite weaknesses is a good debut. Her lyrics are striking, her tunes unusual, & her voice is crystal clear.”

The Mighty Quinn - Manfred Mann
    Their original lead singer has been replaced by Michael D’Abo, & Klaus Voorman has replaced bass player Jack Bruce who left for Cream. As such, this album has completely altered their sound & makes them a completely new band. 8 of the 11 songs are written by the members of the band & are called “hackneyed, trite, & pretentious junk.” On the other hand the 3 covers songs are quite well thought of especially Dylan’s Mighty Quinn.

How in the world could anyone pass this up. As an incentive to subscribe the magazine is now giving away a copy of the new album by Tiny Tim.

As an aside. One of the great things about reading these old issues are the ads for concerts & albums that at the time were being promoted heavily, but went no where. It’s pretty fun.

+ Reply to Thread