+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Re: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Maybe I should clarify myself a bit. At this point in the RS History the magazine wasn't into the political arena like it is now. They definitely didn't cover it issue after issue & when they did it tended to come in one fell swoop of 10 - 15 - 20 page mega stories. Covering drugs in the military, or violence on college campus's or something like that.

And can I just say that Keith Richards has turned into one of the most unattractive humans on the face of the earth. But, to his credit, he let the time & tides take it's course instead of editing out the issues like Joan Rivers or Dolly Parton.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3529668;
    Maybe I should clarify myself a bit. At this point in the RS History the magazine wasn't into the political arena like it is now. They definitely didn't cover it issue after issue & when they did it tended to come in one fell swoop of 10 - 15 - 20 page mega stories. Covering drugs in the military, or violence on college campus's or something like that.

And can I just say that Keith Richards has turned into one of the most unattractive humans on the face of the earth. But, to his credit, he let the time & tides take it's course instead of editing out the issues like Joan Rivers or Dolly Parton.
    Totally understand what you mean about the political arena not being as evolved as it is now. I guess that's true of a lot of things, though. That is probably due to all the media, not the least of which is the Internet, as a vehicle for distribution.

Keith Richards is definitely an example of 'this is what your face looks like on drugs.' Still, I' d agree with you wholeheartedly that it's much preferred to the likes of the stretched out, starched and heavily botoxed into oblivion faces sported by so many others in the public eye.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Rolling Stone Issue 64

Dated August 6, 1970. Janis Joplin on the cover.

Janis & her new band Full Tilt Boogie just had their debut in Louisville at Freedom Hall. The place is huge, but there were only 4,000 in attendance & according to the reporter, the place looked empty. Needless to say Janis was not happy. However, she got the crowd into it & they began to dance & shake & that’s when the cops took over. The house lights were turned on to try & calm the crowd, but when everyone in the back saw that the folks in the front were dancing & rushing the stage, the whole crowd began to do the same. Even though she began on a down note, she left with a huge smile on her face & a bottle of Southern Comfort in her hand.
    Janis seems to finally have a band that let’s her cut loose on the vocals & she is more than happy with them. As to the future, she says they are still touring & will get into the studio to cut a single when they get a break & an opportunity.

Random Notes

Warner Brothers has just purchased the Atlantic/ATCO record labels. And Blue Thumb records has joined the GRT family.
    In more label news, yet another label going by the name of North Star has begun operations. First acts signed are Crazy Horse without Neil Young, & a new band headed by Nils Lofgren called Grin.

Gram Parsons has left the Flying Burrito Brothers to record a solo album. This leaves Bernie Leadon as the new lead singer of the FBB. I bet we hear from Bernie in another group in the not to distant future.

Nicky Hopkins has left Quicksilver.

Frank Zappa has reformed the Mothers of Invention & this time he has added Mark Volman & Howard Kaylan from The Turtles. Also in the band will be pianist George Duke, Aynsley Dunbar, Jeff Simons & Ian Underwood (no relation to Carrie). Frank also has the next album ready to go, subtlety titled Weasels Ripped My Flesh (Lowell George would also play on this album).

Dennis Hopper says he was not paid for his contribution in writing Easy Rider so he is suing Peter Fonda for payment.

Rita Coolidge
    , who has been a part of the group of friends & musicians that includes Delaney, Bonnie, Joe Cocker & Leon Russell, has just signed with A&M Records & is in the studio with Booker T.

Mick Jagger is healing the wounds caused by the loss of Marianne Faithful, by taking up with 19 yr. old NYC model Patti D’Arbanville.
    In other Stones news, their next album is ready for release, it is to be called Git Yer Ya Ya’s Out. It was recorded during their November appearance at Madison Square Garden.

In a rare exhibition of non ego, Alvin Lee of Ten Years After is irritated at his management because they continue to give him a star billing & a separate limo at the expense of the band.

Ringo is set to record a Country album in Nashville with a bunch of Nashvilles’ best session men including both Charlie Daniels & Jerry Reed on guitar. This album would become Beaucoup of Blues.

Sam & Dave have finally called it quits. For years they never even spoke to each other unless on stage together & now they don’t even have to put up that front any more.

Ads for groups or albums this issue:

Johnny Rivers - Slim Slo Rider a new album on the Imperial label

Mind Garage - Again on RCA Records…can I just say WHO????

Poco - Their first album is available on Epic records & tapes. The original band members on this album were Richie Furay, Jim Messina, Timothy B. Schmidt, George Grantham & Rusty Young.

Trapeze- Their first album on Threshold Records…produced by John Lodge of the Moody Blues

Ten Wheel Drive - Brief Replies on Polydor

Album Reviews:

Jethro Tull - Benefit
    The popularity of Tull continues to amaze me. They draw good crowds, they give lengthy interviews. They turn people on. I’ve got to think Ian Anderson must be extremely nice, cooperative, charismatic, or some such kind of cat because I find his records pretty lame & dull. This new album is a sluggish bore, a kind of Rock & Roll Muzak. So who needs it? A lot of people apparently. Has it come to pass that the rock audience is so jaded that a minute or two of flaccid jazz & some gestures toward the exotic effectively disguise blatant mediocrity?…Jack Shadoian

Other albums reviewed:

Jesse Winchester - Jesse Wnchester

David Ruffin - My Whole World Ended

Zal Yanofsky - Alive & Well in Argentina

Jean Luc Ponty- King Kong…JLP plays the music of Frank Zappa

Doug Kershaw - Spanish Moss

Kim Fowley - Good Clean Fun….for those that aren’t aware, Kim was a founding member of a group called the Hollywood Argyles & he was the lead singer on their big hit Alley Oop…he was also the publicist for The Yardbirds, was the engineer on the first albums by Dave Mason & Jim Capaldi, was in the studio to help Frank Zappa record “Help I’m a Rock”, & was the MC on the Plastic Ono Band Live in Toronto album

Flamin Groovies - Flamingo

Brenda Patterson - Keep on Truckin

In the Reject Pile (*stuff to avoid)

The Ides of March - Vehicle
    Mason Williams - Hand Made
    Trapeze
    Rare Bird
    Nina Simone - Gifted & Black
    Grinders Switch
    Big Momma Thornton - The Way It Is

Singles Reviewed:

The Manhattans - It’s Gonna Take A lot to Bring Me Back

Albums Expected in the near future.

All the record companies are getting their Christmas shopping offerings together in what looks to be a very heavy schedule of new releases including new albums by: (most have not yet been named)

On A&M

Spooky Tooth
    Lee Michaels
    Fairport Convention
    Joe Cocker, a double Live album

Atlantic/ATCO

Stephen Stills first solo album
    Led Zeppelin III
    King Crimsons second
    Iron Butterfly Metamorphosis
    Aretha Franklin
    Gary Burton
    Loudon Wainwright
    Thunderclap Newman
    Clarence Carter
    The Velvet Underground
    Sam the Sham & The Pharohs

Capitol Records

Steve Miller
    Joe South
    Quicksilver
    Cannonball Adderly
    The Band

Columbia

Chicago
    Leonard Cohen
    Santana
    Taj Mahal called Life Have Been Beautiful

Elektra

Lonnie Mack
    Roxy
    The Stooges
    The Butterfield Blues Band
    Judy Collins
    Doors a live album
    Delaney & Bonnies all acoustic Motel Shot

Mercury

Mother Earth
    Blue Cheer
    Rod Stewart
    Buddy Miles
    The Nice - their final album before Keith Emerson takes up residency in Emerson Lake & Palmer
    Sir Douglas Quintet

Warner Brothers

Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
    Frank Zappa - Weasels Ripped My Flesh
    Little Richard - The Real Thing
    Jimi Hendrix & Otis Redding live at Monterey Pop
    Beach Boys - Sunflower
    Deep Purple
    Pearls Before Swine
    The Youngbloods
    Jessie Colin Young
    Fleetwood Mac
    Arlo Guthrie
    Ry Cooder
    The Kinks
    Captain Beefheart
    The Small Faces
    John D. Loudermilk
    The Grateful Dead
    Herbie Hancock
    Van Morrison
    Dion

Other than that all the companies are also keeping some releases secret to avoid giving the competition any info.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3529651;
    I forgot about that.

It kind of reminded me of the old joke about Keith Richards from the Rolling Stones. It was always said that he had his blood recycled. Well, he may not look so great these days, but he sure has outlived a lot of others, so maybe there's something to that urban myth.
    He did have it done and so did Anita Pahlenburg, his girlfriend. They went to a swiss clinic.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Lowell George. I am a huge LIttle Feat fan. Poor Lowell, I miss him

Happy 4th of July everybody.

In celebration of the Holiday XM Channel 7 has just completed airing the first ever Casey Kasem Top 40 countdown. It originally aired on July 4th 1970. I thought maybe some of you might like to see what the top singles were on that date. Footnotes added by me.

40) The End of Our Road - Marvin Gaye
    This song peaked at #40 & remained on the charts for only 2 weeks total.

39) Silver Bird - Mark Lindsay
    Marks second & last Top 40 hit after he left Paul Revere. The song would only get to #25.

38) Spill The Wine - Eric Burdon & War
    The only chart hit for the combo before Eric split & War went on to their own fame. This song went all the way to #3.

37) Go Back - Crabby Appleton
    One hit wonders from LA that would see their only hit go only to #36.

36) Just Can’t Help Believing - B J Thomas
    This song would go to #9 becoming his 4th Top 10 hit. It would hit #1 on the Adult Contemporary Charts however.

35) Spirit in the Dark - Aretha Franklin
    This one peaked at # 23, but this would be her 19th Top 40 hit since her debut in 1961.

34) Mississippi - John Phillips
    His only Top 40 hit as a solo after the Mamas & Papas. This one would stop at #32.

33) Westbound #9 - The Flaming Ember
    Their biggest hit, even though it stopped at #24. These guys were a white R&B group out of Detroit.

32) It’s All in the Game - The Four Tops
    The song peaked at #24, but this was the fourth time the song had become a Top 40 hit, by 4 different groups going all the way back to 1951.

31) Save the Country - The Fifth Dimension
    Peaked at #27, one of their least successful releases.

30) Ohio - CSNY
    Neil Young’s protest song about the Kent State shootings. It went to #14, spending only 7 weeks on the charts.

29) Everything Is Beautiful - Ray Stevens
    His first #1 hit, he would follow up with his second #1, The Streak.

28) Check Out Your Mind - The Impressions
    This was their 16th Top 40 hit going all the way back to 1958. As a group they would have only 1 more Top 40 as singer/songwriter Curtis Mayfield would leave to pursue a solo career.

27) Question - The Moody Blues
    The groups 3rd Top 40 hit following Go Now & Tuesday Afternoon, it would stop at #21, but would attain their highest position yet..

26) Signed, Sealed, Delivered I’m Yours - Stevie Wonder
    This was Stevie’s 18th Top 40 hit 9th Top 10, it would peak at #3 (he was still only 20 at the time), but did spend 6 weeks at the top of the R&B Charts.

25) Sugar, Sugar - Wilson Pickett
    Yep, this is the same smash that The Archies took to #1. For Wilson, this would be it’s top position.

24) Teach Your Children - CSNY
    Two singles on the charts at the same time. This would peak at #16. It featured steel guitar played by Jerry Garcia.

23) Which Way You Goin Billy? - The Poppy Family
    The groups first Top 40 hit would go all the way to #2. The singer is a lady named Susan Jacks. Her husband is Terry Jacks of Seasons in the Sun fame.

22) Love on a Two Way Street - The Moments
    The first & biggest of their 4 Top 40 hits, it would peak at #3. The group would eventually change their name to Ray, Goodman & Brown & have 1 hit under that name.

21) Mississippi Queen - Mountain
    Their 1 & only Top 40 hit would go to #21 before stopping. They were a bit radical for Pop radio anyway.

20) Make it With You - Bread
    This song would go all the way to the top. It was their very first single & also their only #1 hit single.

19) Are You Ready _ Pacific Gas & Electric
    Yet another of the 1 hit wonder groups. This song would take them to #14 & then they would fade away.

18) Love Land - Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd. Street Rhythm Band
    The second of their 3 Top 40 hits. It peaked at &16 becoming their least popular single.

17) Tighter & Tighter - Alive & Kicking
    Pop group from NYC would have only 1 Top 40 hit. This one peaked at #7, it was produced by Tommy James.

16) My Baby Loves Lovin - White Plains
    Another 1 hit wonder. This one peaked at #13. Lead singer Tony Burrows was also a part of The Brotherhood of Man, Edison Lighthouse, First Class & The Pipkins, so he had some success throughout.

15) A Song of Joy - Miguel Rios
    Another 1 Hit Wonder. This is taken from Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony & is sung partly in English & partly in Spanish. It went only one step higher on the charts than it is now.

14) United We Stand - The Brotherhood of Man
    This one peaked at #13, but there is that singer Tony Burrows again. They had only 1 more hit before it ended.

13) Get Ready - Rare Earth
    Their first & biggest hit, they would have 5 others over the course of their career. 3 of the 6 original members died before they hit 50.

12) Ooo Child - The 5 Stairsteps
    4 brothers & a sister from Chicago. This would be their only Top 40 hit & went to #8.

11) Gimme Dat Ding - The Pipkins
    Vocal group from England. This was their only Top 40 hit, peaking at #9. By the way, singing backup vocals…Tony Burrows.

10) Hitchin a Ride - Vanity Fare
    Their second, last & biggest hit. The song peaked at #5 & spent a total of 14 weeks on the charts.

9) The Wonder of You - Elvis Presley
    Elvis took this song to #9. It was recorded Live in Las Vegas. It was his 86th Top 40 hit.

8) The Long & Winding Road - The Beatles
    This song was on it’s way to the top spot on the chart. It would eventually spend 2 weeks at #1 & was their 20th & last #1 hit.

7) Close to You - The Carpenters
    This song had only been on the charts 4 weeks at this point & was headed all the way to the top where it would spend 4 weeks at #1. It was their first single & was the first of 6 consecutive Top 3 hits.

6) Lay Down (Candles in the Rain) - Melanie
    Her first single would peak here at #6. She would have 5 more top 40 hits lead by the #1 single Brand New Key. At this point she was really big in Holland.

5) Band of Gold - Freda Payne
    Her first & biggest by far of 3 Top 40 hits. This one would go all the way to #3 before falling back.

4) Ride Captain Ride - Blues Image
    This was their only Top 40 hit & #54 was the peak. Lead Vocalist Mike Pinera would eventually join the group Iron Butterfly.

3) Ball of Confusion - The Temptations
    This song was the 25th Top 40 hit for the group. It would peak right here at #3. Original members David Ruffin (drug overdose age 50), Eddie Kendricks (cancer age 52) , Paul Williams (self inflicted gunshot age 34) & Melvin Franklin ( heart failure age 52) all died prior to hitting 55 years of age.

2) The Love You Save - The Jackson 5
    This was their 3rd single, their 3rd of 4 consecutive #1 hits & the 3rd of 7 Top 2 hits to start their career.

1) Mama Told Me Not To Come - Three Dog Night
    This was their first #1 hit, & their 6th Top 40 single. The song was written by Randy Newman.

Nice to see that Michael was on there at # 2.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

MRD

Some good songs on there.

The guy that obtained the rights from Westwood One to clean up (most of the really early ones were made available to radio stations on vinyl, so they could be scratchy) & make presentable again all the old Casey Kasem countdown shows just happens to live not to far from me. Anyway, I got in touch with him & he has these shows available for purchase. I bought the first 4 & have ordered the next 4. I thought as I go through them (when time & money allows), I'd put them up here for you to see what was hot at the time.

I'm starting with show #3 because the last hour of the second show seems to be lost. (comments on new songs only) The comments on the oldies played are how Casey introduced the songs.

The third American Top 40 show with Casey Kasem. Aired July 18, 1970

Playing the hits from Boston to Honolulu

40) Trying to Make a Fool of Me - The Delfonics
    Nothing much to say about this song. It was written by Thomas Bell & William Hart & spent only 1 week in the Top 40.

39) Tell it All Brother - Kenny Rogers & The First Edition
    Would top out at #17.

38) Maybe - The Three Degrees
    This song would only get as high as #29.

37) Steal Away - Johnnie Taylor

36) Go Back - Crabby Appleton

35) Mississippi - John Phillips

34) Check Out Your Mind - The Temptations

33) United We Stand - The Brotherhood of Man

32) In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry
    Big time One Hit Wonder. It is still played on oldies stations everywhere. Would eventually top out at #3.

31) Love Land - Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band

30) West Bound #9 - The Flying Ember

29) Mississippi Queen - Mountain

28) Silver Bird - Mark Lindsay

27) Save the Country - The 5th Dimension

26) (If you let me make love to you) Then Why Can’t I Touch You - Ronnie Dyson
    Headed all the way to #8

25) War - Edwin Starr
    One of the great protest songs of the time. It would go to #1 & eventually be entered into the Grammy Hall of Fame.

24) Lay a Little Lovin on Me - Robin McNamara

23) Get Ready - Rare Earth

22) My Baby Loves Lovin - White Plains

21) Long & Winding Road - The Beatles

20) Just Can’t Help Believing - BJ Thomas

19) A Song of Joy - Miguel Rios

18) Ohio - CSN&Y

17) The Wonder of You - Elvis Presley

16) Teach Your Children - CSN&Y

15) Are You Ready - Pacific Gas & Electric

14) Spill The Wine - Eric Burdon & War

13) Gimme Dat Ding - The Pipkins

12) Hitchin a Ride - Vanity Fare

11) Tighter & Tighter - Alive & Kickin

10) Lay Down - Melanie

9) Signed, Sealed, Delivered - Stevie Wonder

8) O-o-o Child - The Five Stairsteps

7) Ride Captain Ride - Blues Image

6) Ball of Confusion - The Temptations

5) Make it With You - Bread

4) The Love You Save - Jackson 5

3) Band of Gold - Freda Payne

2) Mama Told Me (not to come) - Three Dog Night

1) Close To You - The Carpenters

New Songs this week:
    40) Tryin to Make a Fool of Me - The Delfonics
    39) Tell it All Brother - Kenny Rogers & The First Edition
    25) War - Edwin Starr

Songs disappearing this week:
    End of Our Road - Marvin Gaye
    Sugar, Sugar - Wilson Pickett
    It’s All in the Game - Four Tops
    Question - Moody Blues
    Which Way You Goin Billy? - The Poppy Family
    Love on a 2 Way Street - The Moments

Biggest Gainer:
    24) Lay a Little Lovin on Me - Robin McNamara Up 13 spots

Biggest Loser:
    31) Love Land - Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band down 15 spots

One Hit Wonders: (It always amazes me as to how many of these are on the charts every week)
    36) Go Back - Crabby Appleton
    35) Mississippi - John Phillips
    29) Mississippi Queen - Mountain
    24) Lay a Little Lovin on Me - Robin McNamara
    22) My Baby Loves Lovin - White Plains
    19) A Song of Joy - Miguel Rios
    15) Are You Ready - Pacific Gas & Electric
    14) Spill The Wine - Eric Burdon & War
    13) Gimme Dat Ding - The Pipkins
    11) Tighter & Tighter - Alive & Kickin
    8) O-o-o Child - The Five Stairsteps
    7) Ride Captain Ride - Blues Image

Debut Single:
    33) United We Stand - The Brotherhood of Man
    23) Get Ready - Rare Earth
    10) Lay Down - Melanie
    5) Make it With You - Bread
    3) Band of Gold - Freda Payne
    1) Close To You - The Carpenters

Last Single
    40) Tryin to Make a Fool of Me - The Delfonics
    28) Silver Bird - Mark Lindsay
    12) Hitchin a Ride - Vanity Fare

Oldies Played
    Travelin Man - Ricky Nelson from 1961. Ricky had the most records sold as a teenager of any artist up until this time.
    Big Girls Don’t Cry - The Four Seasons 1962. The title of the song comes from a line spoken in a movie by Joan Crawford just after she has been smacked.
    Rock Around the Clock - Bill Haley & The Comets 1955. This was the first Rock song to ever hit the #1 spot on the Pop Charts. It was first heard during the opening credits to the movie Blackboard Jungle starring Glenn Ford. At the time of this broadcast it had sold over 15 million copies worldwide.
    MacArthur Park - Richard Harris 1968. At this time, this was the longest song to ever land a spot in the Top 10. An excruciatingly long 7:20. In my opinion one of the worst songs ever written.

Keep Your Feet on the ground & keep reaching for the stars!

MRD

Oh, I'm so glad someone else hates McArthur Park.

I just heard War on the radio earlier today. Great song.

+ Reply to Thread