+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Re: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

There was a TV movie about Kent State that aired I was quite young, and I think it was what triggered a lifetime of interest in '60's and/or "hippie" culture. I remember sobbing my heart out while I was watching it.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

MRD

I had two older brothers that graduated from HS in the 60's. One was in college, the other dropped out lost his deferrment and was in the airforce. I can remember a LOT of arguments in my house about the war and Kent state because one brother was a protestor and the other was in the military (although he went to Thailand, not Vietnam) and my dad was old fashioned and thought the protestors were "commies". Ah, good times.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

So MRD, did your Dad & brothers ever come to any kind of peace accord?

MRD

Eventually. The hippie brother, protester with long hair, graduated from college, got married and had the first grandchild. (I laugh at him now, Mr. Corporate American with short hair and a suit and BMW) That goes a long way into bridging over the gap with parents. He still had long hair and was still very mich a hippie, but with a job and family which my dad saw as responsibility. Funny, but the one in the military is the one that became the bad sheep. He got heavy into drugs overseas, came home, was all but thrown out of the air force, hitched hiked his way around the country, grew his hair long, lived in a commune for a short time. I think that also helped the married brother fall back into favor as well because he was no longer the "weird" one. Family relationships are complicated and the 60's made them even more complicated in our house.
    However, things got ugly again in 1972 when both brothers supported McGovern for President and my dad supported Nixon. But as the 70's continued, things got back into a relatively normal family situation, but my ex military brother is still roaming the country doing drugs, no permanent address, 61 years old and still blaming the military and my dad for his problems.

Rolling Stone Issue 61

Dated June 25, 1970. Charles Manson on the cover.

This a long long multiple part expose on Manson, the Family,the murders, the murdered, & the way that the police put together the case against them. Once again it is much to extensive to summarize here, close to 30 pages in length all together. By the way, one of my old college roomates Dad was one of the officers from the Inyo County police force that lead the raid on the Spahn Ranch when they made most of the arrests. He was there the day they found Charlie wadded up in a cabinet in the kitchen trying to hide out. They wouldn’t have found him, but he had a small tuft of hair creeping out of the cracks in the door.

Random Notes

Leon Russell is in the studio in LA recording with BB King, Russ Kunkel & Joe Walsh. They have just laid down Hummingbird.

The premiere of the Let It Be movie in London attracted large crowds including Mary Hopkin, Joan Collins, Spike Milligan & Jane Asher (all of whom were referred to as “second string trendies”).

Supreme Court Justice William O Douglas has denied a request by Timothy Leary to set bail for him in California. Leary remains in jail.

The search for a new label is over for Humble Pie. They have recently signed a $400,000 contract with A&M Records.

Johnny Cash has won 4 awards from the British Country Music Association.

John Mayall is disbanding his group after his current tour is finished.

Four Tops singer Levi Stubbs has been found not guilty of possessing cocaine in London.

Grass Roots have turned down an offer to perform at the White House as a form of protest against the Nixon regime.

After being found guilty of taking “indecent liberties” with a minor, Peter Yarrow is now being sued by the mother of the girl in question. A $1.25 million suit has been filed against him.

CSN&Y are back on the road with a new drummer & bass player & Neil Young’s new song Ohio is getting a big push. The new bass player is Johnny Barbata coming over from the Turtles.

MGM & Warner Brothers are in a contract dispute & are suing each other over the rights to John Sebastian. Both companies have released versions of his newest album.

Crown of Creation & Volunteers have both been certified as gold records for Jefferson Airplane. When told they would be getting the awards in a ceremony in NYC, the band decided not to show. Ho Hum!

Ads for groups or albums this issue:

Grateful Dead - Workingman’s Dead on Warner Brothers Records

Edgar Winter’s first album is available on Epic Records

Live Cream on ATCO

Bee Gees - Cucumber Castle on ATCO Records & Tapes

Sugarloaf - The first album by the new group out of Silver Creek Colorado is available on Liberty Records

Album Reviews:

Linda Rondstedt - Silk Purse
    It is Linda Rondstatd’s voice that makes this album. She endows the songs with a feeling that she has shown since the first Stone Poney’s album, & she has developed her Country style considerably since her last album. It seems as though Linda is doing the right kind of material. If she gets hold of some super songs & learns how to sort out the dull stuff, she could do very well….Alec Dubro

Bee Gees - Cucumber Castle
    The album has it’s merits. Actually it’s a pseudo soundtrack, half is from the Bee Gees TV spectacular, the other half includes some songs recorded in 1967 in Australia but never released. Not since the days of the Righteous Brothers have I heard such powerful harmonies coupled with such inventive musical diversity….Gary Von Tersch

Other albums reviewed:

The Flying Burrito Brothers - Burrito Deluxe

Mississippi Fred McDowell - I Do Not Play Rock & Roll

Jessie Colin Young - Two Trips

Stone The Crows

Tom Paxton 6

Singles Reviewed:

Pacific Gas & Electric - Are You Ready
    Merry Clayton - Gimme Shelter
    Brotherhood of Man - United We Stand
    Little Richard - Freedom Blues
    Freda Payne - Band of Gold

Albums Expected in the near future.

George Harrisons first solo effort is being recorded in England.
    Bob Dylan has decided to delay his next offering while he goes back to redo some of the cuts.
    Blood Sweat & Tears are also delaying their next because they didn’t like the cover.
    Famous for being the brothers of stars, both Livingston Taylor & Rusty Kershaw have now cut albums.
    Gabor Szabo has recently signed with Blue Thumb records & is working on his first for the label.
    The new album by Love is on the way & apparently Hendrix is all over it.
    Delaney & Bonnie as well as King Crimson are getting ready to release their second albums for Elektra.

All Paid Subscriptions will be awarded with a copy of Come Together by Ike & Tina Turner

MRD

I actually love early Bee Gees. I also liked their later stuff. I get a lot of flack from people when I say I liked the Bee Gees.

Just visiting this planet nanaslbkp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3471953;
    I actually love early Bee Gees. I also liked their later stuff. I get a lot of flack from people when I say I liked the Bee Gees.
    I won't give a bit of 'flack'! I loved the Bee Gees and danced to their music.My partying was done during the 'disco era'.

Rolling Stone Issue 62 Dated July 9, 1970. Van Morrison on the cover.

Van began to play on a semi pro basis in 1961 while The Beatles were learning their craft in Hamburg, & The Stones hadn’t even begun. He was in a touring band called the Thunderbirds, playing in Britain, Wales & at US Army bases. Then he formed THEM in 1963 in Belfast. He has some not so kind words to say about Producers. He says that the original version of Gloria was 20 minutes long, but the producer cut it to 3 minutes in the studio to make it more catchy & commercial. He also says that the guy that produced Brown Eyed Girl (Bert Burns) completely changed the way the song was written to suit his desires, not Vans.
    At the time of this interview, he has been living in the states for 4 years now & he is very adamant to tell everybody, that he is not an Irish artist that is coming over here to play the Fillmore & go home, he feels that he is home.
    He produced his new album Moondance himself because Astral Weeks just didn’t come out the way he had in mind. He says Astral Weeks was meant to have a story line, beginning to end,& the producer just didn’t understand that.
    He says THE major influence on his career, the man without whom the Van Morrison sound may have never been heard, was the old blues man Leadbelly.

There is an interview with Robbie Robertson. When asked about why The Band didn’t appear on the Woodstock album he said “it just seemed to shoddy & we didn’t want to be a part of that.” Then he relates this bit of info…CSN&Y had to go into the studio & redub their vocals for the album because they sounded so bad. He also states that in the past year The Band had been asked to do the movie scores for Zabriskie Point, Ned Kelley & Easy Rider (their manager turned it down for them after hearing a verbal description of what the movie was about). They have just finished recording their 3rd album & have sent the tapes to London for Glynn Johns to do a remix. The album will be called Stage Fright.

There is a ruling out of the unemployment office in Monterey County Ca. that states “People with long hair, beards, or skirts too short, will not be allowed to collect unemployment.” The ruling is being appealed.

During one of their infrequent US tours, Pink Floyd had $40,000 worth of equipment stolen in New Orleans.

A new cigar brand is being marketed. Who remembers Tijuana Smalls?

The suitcase that David Crosby lost a couple of months ago, filled with memorabilia, has been found after unaccountably traveling on tour with Jefferson Airplane.

Marty Balin, real name Martin Buchwald, has been found guilty of possessing pot in Minneapolis, fined $100 & sentenced to 1 year in the workhouse. He has a year to appeal.

A music festival is planned for Tokyo. Signed to appear…Canned Heat, CSN&Y, John Mayall, Lee Michaels, Joni Mitchell & Ravi Shankar.

Ginger Bakers Air Force has cancelled their first US Tour. Many stories swirling, but it seems as though low advance ticket sales is at the forefront.

Bob Dylan has been presented with an Honorary Doctorate of Music degree from Princeton University.

Phil Spector is large & in charge of the studio sessions for George Harrison’s first solo effort. Backup musicians working on the project include Eric Clapton. Ringo Starr, Klaus Voorman & Gary Brooker (keyboards for Procul Harum). The wall of sound that Spector became famous for is said to be in full swing.

Commander Cody & The Lost Planet Airmen have recently signed with Fillmore Records.

Dave Mason is now recording for Blue Thumb Records.

Record Notes

The Four Tops have just recorded It Happens to Us All …written by Moody Blues member Mike Pender…in London. So Motown goes to London

And in return, Jeff Beck has announced his next album will be on the Motown label…So London goes to Motown

The next album by Traffic will be named John Barleycorn

Donovan will be releasing a new Live album.

Steven Stills is working on his first solo album in London, he is living at Ringo‘s house.

CSN&Y are reportedly ready to cut a Live album at the Fillmore East with producer Tom Dowd at the helm.

Arteha Franklin is appearing at the International Hotel in Las Vegas. While there, she will be recording a Live album.

Duane Allman has just added some guitar lines to the upcoming Delaney & Bonnie album.

Guitar phenom John McLaughlin has just finished his first solo album backed by bass player Larry Young, Organ player Billy Rich, & drummer Buddy Miles.

Chicago Transit Authority on Columbia Records & Tapes a specially priced 2 record set.

Eric Burdon & War on the MGM label

Crabby Appleton on Elektra

Rod Stewart - Gasoline Alley on Mercury Records

Gordon Lightfoot - Sit Down Young Stranger his first for Reprise

Buddy Miles - Them Changes on Mercury Records

Alice Cooper - Easy Action on Warner Bros.

Savoy Brown - Raw Sienna on London/Parrot Records

The Who - Live at Leeds on Decca Records

Album Reviews:

Woodstock-
    The Woodstock album is a step forward in recorded entertainment. Not only is it the finest live album ever, but it summarizes as no album ever has or ever will the rock mania of the late 60’s….Ed Ward

Hot Tuna -
    I should kick myself for doubting two of the finest musicians in the Country today, (Jorma Kekkonen, guitarist & Jack Cassaday bass player, both from Jefferson Airplane). The mysterious Wil Scarlet plays the harmonica . The album is not the titanic masterpiece that an Airplane fan might expect. It’s uncomplicatedness fits in well with the atmosphere of the place where it was being recorded. It is a relaxing album, one to sip wine & sit on the front porch by, but it isn’t going to do your head in as you might expect…Ed Ward

Other albums reviewed:

Delaney Bonnie & Friends - On Tour

Steppenwolf - Live

The Who - Live at Leeds

The Chambers Brothers - Wow! Live

Richie Valens - In Concert at Pacoima Jr. High

Iron Butterfly - Live

Ike & Tina Turner - OOH - Poo- Pah- Doo

Anyone notice the theme to the music? Geez, Live or Die!

MRD

John Barleycorn must die is one of the best albums ever!

The Band's Stage Fright wasn't one of my favorite ones, with the exception of "The Shape I'm In".

Pretty amazing about the unemployment requirements. Nothing like that would be allowed today without it being a HUGE scandal.

Thanks again. Love reading these recaps of each issue.

Rolling Stone Issue 63

Dated July, 23 1970. David Crosby on the cover.

Crosby was kicked out of the Byrds for many reasons, but one was that at the end he & Roger McGuin just couldn’t get along. The Byrds didn’t like the fact that David was jamming with Steven Stills & they especially didn’t like the fact that he continued to question the Warren Report on the Kennedy assassination in public. The Byrds wanted to silence his views on the political front, he wouldn‘t stop, they fired him.
    At the time of this interview, CSN&Y are working on a Live album, Stills is working on his first solo album, & Crosby & Nash are getting set to go into the studio for their first duet.
    He began to play with Stills because The Byrds just didn’t want to play Live music. He says there were times that those guys were so bored they would actually look at their watches to see how much longer they had to play. At the same time Buffalo Springfield was falling apart, so he & Steven just seemd to fall in together. Then, a few weeks later Graham Nash came to the US. The 3 of them were at Joni Mitchells one night along with Cass Elliot & they were all singing & playing. They began to sing Stills’ Helplessly Hoping & it was the first time Nash had ever heard it, but it took him only about 10 minutes to figure out the third harmony & it was on from that point on.
    He admits to really wanting to do something musically with Jerry Garcia, & says that the Dead are just a magical band that has the ability to get folks up & boogying all night long.
    He also admits to wanting to produce an album for a new guy on the scene out of Orange County by the name of Jackson Browne.

Random Notes

Maybe some of you remember the comedian Dick Gregory…he has begun a 40 days fast to protest the corporate involvement in the Heroin trade, claiming the drug would not be as prevalent without drug corporations helping to make it available.

In other drug related news…Vice President Spiro Agnew has told an audience of 1,000 folks in Hot Springs, Ar. That the nation is on one huge drug trip & has predicted that it is going to get worse in the next 10 years.

A federal judge in San Jose has ruled that long hair is a protected first amendment right & that the state of California cannot ban people from their unemployment benefits because of the way they look.

Johnny Winter has formed a new back up band including guitar player Rick Derringer, Randy Hobbs on bass, & Randy Z on drums…all coming over from The McCoys.

Boz Scaggs was recently dropped from his recording contract on the Atlantic label. He has added a horn section to the band & has been signed by Columbia (for 3X as much money as he was making) . New stuff is in the works.

The Kinks have added piano player John Gosling & their next single is being readied for release. A little ditty called Lola.

Muddy Waters is back on the stage after recuperating for 8 months following a car wreck.

Tommy James & The Shondells have broken up & Tommy is looking for a new back up band.

Chubby Checker was busted at the Canadian border, trying to enter back into the states. The Feds found ¼ lb. of pot, some hash & assorted capsules of an unnamed drug.

Eric Clapton has just had his first performance as front man for his new band Derek & The Dominoes, (a name they came up with only 10 minutes before the start of the show), in a benefit concert in London.

A new phenomenon is sweeping the UK at the moment. It is called Mungomania. Yep, Mungo Jerry has hit the big time. They would become 1 hit wonders here in the states, but In The Summertime was that hit. It went to #3 & was on the charts for 11 weeks, then the band would be heard from no more hereabouts.

Hot Tuna - on RCA Records & Tapes

Bob Dylan - Self Portrait on the Columbia Label

Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die available on UA

Album Reviews:

Gordon Lightfoot- Sit Down Young Stranger
    Probably some of the songs are not going to be remembered as great songs. But, there is a lot of Gordon Lightfoot in this album as well as some of the best material he has ever done. And with songs like Cobwebs & Dust & Me & Bobby McGee some of the nicest folk music on record anywhere…Jud Rosebush….Accompanying musicians on this album include Ry Cooder, John Sebastian, & the ubiquitous Van Dyke Parks, with string arrangements by Randy Newman.

Grateful Dead - Workingman’s Dead
    This is an excellent album. It is a warming album. And most importantly, the Dead have finally produced a complete studio album. “Uncle John’s Band’ which opens the album is without question, the best song ever done by this band. The Country feeling to this album just adds to the warmth….Andy Zwerling

Other albums reviewed:

John Phillips - The Wolfking of L.A.

George Benson - The Other Side of Abbey Road

Booker T & The MG’S - McLemore Avenue

Tyrannosaurus Rex - Unicorn & A Beard of Stars are both reviewed as a package.

Free - Free
    I’d like to synopsize this review, but frankly I have no idea how to do it….sorry, it’s just kind of weird.

It’s a Beautiful Day - Marrying Maiden

Merle Haggard - Same Train a Different Time

Singles Reviewed:

Jackson Five- The Love You Save
    This song is nowhere near “I Want You Back” but a fire breathing monster like that comes along only once every decade or so. Meanwhile it has made “ABC” only the 3rd greatest single ever made…Arnold Brodsky

Albums Expected in the near future.

Steve Miller is putting the finishing touches on his next offering.

Even though their first album has just hit the stores, Hot Tuna already has another ready for release.

The Byrds are half way through a double album. Half Live & half studio.

+ Reply to Thread