+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

MRD

Re: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3412822;
    I should have the next RS done today sometime, but I just wanted to post something I just found out.

I don't know how many of you ever liked or listened to or followed Poco, but they were one of my favorite bands in all their iterations. Anyway, Jim Messina & Richie Furay are back with Paul Cotton & Rusty Young & the band is once again touring & set to record. That, to me, is great news.
    That's GREAT news. I LOVED Poco. In the heart of the night still makes me get goosebumps.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3414521;
    There is a protest going on in Minneapolis to protest the high cost of concert tickets for the upcoming CSN&Y shows. Tickets are going for $5, $6, $7 & for the best seats, an outrageous $10. Even David Crosby & the bands manager are calling the prices outrageous. Stillsí fractured wrist has healed so the band is in rehearsals for the tour.

Now this is weird. He says he cannot write songs if he doesnít have finger nails. He writes on guitar & canít play without nails, so he doesnít write, not even on piano. He is teaching a song writing course at New York University.
    What I wouldn't do for $10 concert tickets now! My brother paid over $400 for two tickets to see the Who earlier this year.

Just wondering - did Paul Simon teach his class to grow their nails if they wanted to be songwriters?

I'm guessing that "Cactus" was NOT the next big thing...
    My hero - My Dad 3/25/34 - 4/1/09

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;3414655;
    What I wouldn't do for $10 concert tickets now! My brother paid over $400 for two tickets to see the Who earlier this year.

Just wondering - did Paul Simon teach his class to grow their nails if they wanted to be songwriters?

I'm guessing that "Cactus" was NOT the next big thing...
    Cactus..remember their album Ot & Sweaty?

Tim Bogart & Carmine Appice were like attached at the hip. They both came over from Vanilla Fudge & would later both eventually join Jeff Beck in Beck Bogart & Appice.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

I do remember Bogart, Appice and Beck. Don't specifically remember "Cactus" though.
    My hero - My Dad 3/25/34 - 4/1/09

Things you can learn in the most unlikely places.

I was watching Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs (I'm a true lover of all things Disney) & listening to the Commentary tracks. It includes interviews with Walt & an animation historian who's name escapes me at the moment, but here's what he said.

These lyrics from John Lennon & Paul McCartney:

Listen, do you want to know a secret,
    Do you promise not to tell, Whoa . . . . .
    Closer let me whisper in your ear,
    Say the words you long to hear,
    I'm in love with you, oo . . .

This was John & Paul's ode to the scene where Snow White is at the wishing well singing & talking to the birds & animals that have gathered around.

In an interview much later on, John claimed that his mother sang the 2 lines featured in the movie Snow White to him and that years later, it inspired him to write Secret with Paul. What seems a bit strange to me is how John could have even remembered something his mom sang to him when he was allegedly 1 or 2 years old.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3414521;
    Gram Parsons of the Flying Burrito Brothers has crashed his custom made Harley, sending him to the hospital for two weeks. He had a cut knee, a broken cheekbone & multiple facial scratches suffered as his helmetless face scraped across the pavement.
    Coincidentally, I just finished reading Pamela des Barres' autobiography and she wrote about Parsons' accident (and his death a couple of years later). Des Barres was so passionate about him (his music, I mean ) that I was inspired to check out some of his work and google his name around a bit. Parsons, interestingly enough, was on Rolling Stone's 2004 list of 100 Most Influential Artists of All Time. A man ahead of his time.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

"fake Archies" you mean there were real ones? Andy Kim might want to know that! I once read that Deborah Harry did back up on a tune or two.
    "No matter how lovesick a woman is, she shouldn't take the first pill that comes along!"Joyce Brothers

MRD

Just found out that Foghat and the Outlaws are coming later this month in concert together. The Outlaws are a phenomanal band live. Nothing beats that guitar army they have. And you can bet that even for some "has beens", the tickets are not going to be $10. How I wish.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Rolling Stone Issue 60 PG.30

Dated June 11, 1970. Anti War Demonstrators on the cover.
    As you can probably tell from the cover, this issue has a long, long, long look at politics, Viet Nam, Campus shootings (Kent State & others), Nixon, Earl Warren & everything else that was happening at the time. The whole issue is titled “A Pitiful Helpless Giant & it went on for about 20 pages & there is just to much to synopsize here.

Random Notes

CSN&Y have broken up just before a concert in Chicago, only to get back together less than 48 hrs. later. However, they fired drummer Dallas Taylor & Bass player Greg Reeves. Reeves, however, is expected to stick around as a part of the new band Neil Young is forming to replace Crazy Horse.

Two teenage girls arrived home in Minnesota evidently pretty trashed, following a concert by The Airplane. Their mothers freaked out, filed charges & as a result Marty Balin has been arrested on charges ranging from possession to contributing to the delinquency of a minor. He is currently out on $5,000 bail.

John Evan has joined Jethro Tull to play piano.

Apparently Jimi Hendrix, Stephen Stills & Buddy Miles are putting out an album anonymously with all the proceeds to support the defense of & provide bail for Timothy Leary who is still in jail in San Luis Obispo.

Allan Ginsberg contributes his first poem to the paper this issue. It’s called Friday the 13th.

The Howlin Wolf London recording session has just wrapped in London, with sidemen Clapton, Winwood, Voorman, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman & Ringo. Evidently according to the story, Ringo had some issues getting it together on what was his first out & out Blues sessions. Howlin Wolf jumped him once & even though Ringo is still a part of this whole thing, once the album came out, he wasn’t included.

George Harrison is in NYC for the first time since he was granted a Visa. He seems to be very confused & hurt at the way Paul has handled all the publicity for his first solo album. The story is told the the other Beatles signed a legal document to Paul telling him to refrain from releasing his album on a date that would conflict with the release of Let It Be. Ringo volunteered to deliver it & Paul & Linda lambasted him relentlessly. George also tells of the last time he spoke with Paul & says that Paul was so loud & profane on the phone that he had to hold the phone away from his ears.

Ads for groups or albums this issue:

The Beatles - Let It Be available on Apple Records

Jethro Tull - Benefit on Reprise

Barry Melton - Bright Sun Is Shining - on Vanguard Records

Fairport Convention - Liege & Leaf on A&M Records

Jesse Winchester - His first album on the Ampex Label.

Woodstock - a 3 album set on Cotillion

Ike & Tina Turner - Come Together on Liberty Records & Tapes

Deep Purple & The Royal Philarmonic Orchestra - on Warner Brothers

The Illinois Speed Press - on Columbia Records…this is the band that gave us Paul Cotton who would go on to greater fame a few years later with Poco.

Argent - on Epic Records

Mason Williams - Hand Made

Savoy Brown - Raw Sienna on the London Label

Album Reviews:

The Beatles - Let It Be
    Musically boys, you passed the audition. In terms of having the judgment to avoid either over-producing yourselves or casting the fate of your Get Back statement to the most notorious of all over producers (Phil Spector) you didn’t. Which somehow doesn’t seem to matter much anymore anyway…John Mendelsohn

Ten Years After - Cricklewood Green
    It’s like Chinese food. You know, it fills you up, but 10 minutes later you are hungry again…for a cheeseburger. It’s a real Chun King Trip. But then most new albums are. Why should Alvin Lee do an imitation Sympathy for the Devil? It’s been done! It’s like some kind of old Guess Who Trip riding around on somebody else’s coattails…J.R. Young

Mott the Hoople - Mott the Hoople
    The band was fantastically talented at only 3 months old when this album was recorded last July. I understand that they are now recording their second. Atlantic has this annoying habit of sitting on albums that they have the rights to, I won’t embarrass them by telling you how long they sat on Fresh Cream, but they have delayed this album for well over 6 months. Lets hope that Mott the Hoople can keep up the good work & that Atlantic will let us know if they can a little sooner…Ed Ward

Other albums reviewed:

Country Joe & The Fish - C.J. Fish

Dr. John - Remedies

The Raiders - Collage

John Hammond - Southern Fried

Tommy James & The Shondells - Travelin

Great Speckled Bird

Albums Expected in the near future.

Rolling Stones - Get Your Ya Ya’s Out
    Doug Sahm - backed by a bunch of Nashville session musicians & not the Sir Douglas Quintet this time.
    Doug Kershaw has his second album ready.
    Eric Claptons first solo album is almost ready

+ Reply to Thread