+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

MRD

Re: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

I learn SO much on this thread.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3387361;
    Actually you are correct. I misread the Billboard Chart Book I was looking at. The song did hit #4, but it was the lowest #4 rated song of the year, which placed it right at the 4-5 cutoff line. Anyway, it doesn't reference Snuff Garret at all, but it may be because they had room for only 3 writers so they listed Gary, Leon, & Leslie Thomas.
    Leslie was not a writer on the song, so I'm not sure where they came up with the name.

Razor, I think you and my sister would tie for most knowledge about music. Totally awesome.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Here is a bit more Piano trivia & Rock & Roll History for you.

Everybody remembers Bachman Turner Overdirve right? How about the rockin Takin Care of Business? Does anybody know who played the piano on that song? Leon Russell you say? Nah, not even close.

The story goes like this. The band was in the studio during recording sessions & needed a piano player for the song, but there wasn't one available to them. In the studio next door was The Steve Miller Band, obviously hungry & in need of pizzas. Steve & the boys called for a delivery to the studio & the guy that showed up was named Norman Durkee. Norman, as fate would have it, played piano & he was drafted to give BTO a hand. That is the one & only Norman Durkee you hear on the song.

That is the story of Norman Durkees 15 minutes of fame.

Rolling Stone Issue 57

Dated April 30, 1970. Paul McCartney on the cover. (photo by Linda Eastman)
    Paul’s very first solo album is due out on April 17th. He plays all the instruments & recorded most of it from his home studio recorded over the course of two months. The only thing heard on the album that isn’t Paul is backup vocals by Linda. He won’t mention the name of the album or any of the songs on it. As to management by Allen Klein, Paul states flat out, than no, he isn’t managed by Allen. No matter how much the other Beatles like the man, Paul just can’t stand him. He says there are no plans for another Beatles album & notes that he & John haven’t spoken in months. There have been no arguments, it’s just that they are both doing the family thing, staying home a lot & not communicating.

Random Notes

Alan David Passaro was taken into custody at Soledad prison where he was already serving time related to charges on sale of marijuana & Grand Theft. He was arrested & charged with the murder of Meredith Hunter at the Rolling Stones concert in Alameda.

Jefferson Airplane has just completed an appearance on Dick Cavett’s show. During their second number of the night, Volunteers, the network cut away for a commercial. When they returned the band was still playing, the credits rolled over their faces & it went dark as a riveting episode of Nanny & the Professor came on.

Steppenwolf, on the other hand, has walked off the set of a CBS Special called Movin, because the censors & the sponsor (Chevrolet) wouldn’t allow them to sing Hey Lawdy Mama.

CSN&Y, new album. déjà vu, has pre orders totaling $2 million. So it is double platinum before anyone even hears it. These were in the days that awards were based on $ sales & not unit sales.

Frank Zappa is regrouping The Mothers & is set to tour.

In the world of rock, these bands are here today, gone tomorrow, & back the day after. Another reformed act…Janis is back with the original Big Brother & evidently the band is better than ever.

In a charge that goes back to last year, Jim Morrison has been convicted of Assaulting an airline stewardess. He was acquitted of the more serious charge of hijacking. He faces 3 months in jail & a $300 fine.

Muddy Waters, after being nearly killed in a car wreck, has been nursed back to health & can even get around on his own with the help of crutches.

Yoko is 8 weeks pregnant, so she & John have decided to stay at home & out of the public eye in hopes of reducing stress. They are hoping she can avoid another miscarriage.

Santana arrived for a concert in Atlanta only to get stuck in the midst of a labor strike. The picket line was right in front of the Arena & the band decided that they would cross the line but only after meeting with union reps & agreeing to give them 3 minutes to speak to the crowd.

Peter Yarrow
    , of Peter Paul & Mary, has pleaded guilty to taking “immoral liberties” with a 14 year old girl. He was given bail only because he is recently married & going to counseling. The ironic thing in all this is that the trio had just been awarded the Grammy for Best Recording for Children.

Goodness, but these folks can get into some weird things. Keith Moon, the drummer for The Who, has been cleared of all charges resulting form the death of his chauffer. It seems Keith was driving his Bentley in a parking lot in an attempt to escape from some skinheads when he hit, ran over, & killed his driver.

Blues man, Howlin Wolf, has been forced to cancel a European tour due to suffering his second heart attack in the past 6 months.

The Moody Blues are tired of getting screwed over on money issues so they have formed, own & manage Threshold Records. The tipping point came when their hit single Go Now made a profit of $250,000, but the band got only $600 to split between them. Their fist release under the Threshold banner is their current album To Our Childrens Childrens Children.

An Interview with Neil Young:
    He says he has been playing guitar for 9 years, he’s now 24. He notes that he’s kind of tiring of the whole thing & doesn’t know how long he will be able to carry on, or if he even wants to. And then in the next breath he says he would like to do something new with the original Buffalo Springfield. He admits to shock in the popularity of CSN&Y, & how the audiences react to their stage shows. He also says that Stills came to his house & asked him to join the group, but they wanted the group to be called CSN & Friends, no mention of Young. Obviously it took some negotiations, but it’s all worked out now.
    About deja’ vu, he mentions Almost Cut My Hair as David Crosby at his very best & he thinks people will respond very favorably to it.

Ads for groups or albums this issue:

John Phillips - first solo album on Dunhill

CSN&Y - déjà vu on Atlantic records & tapes

Grinders Switch featuring Garland Jeffreys on Vanguard.

Van Morrison - Moon Dance on Warner Bros.

Nillson Sings Newman on RCA Records

Aretha Franklin - This Girls in Love with You on Atlantic

The Isacc Hayes Movement on Enterprise Records

Joe Cocker - Mad Dogs & Englishmen on A&M

The Hollies - He Ain’t Heavy He’s My Brother on Epic

Album Reviews:

CSN&Y - déjà vu
    Along with many people, I had hopes that the addition of Neil Young would give their music the guts & substance that the first album missed. Unfortunately, little of his influence carried over. Despite Young’s formidable job on many of the cuts, the basic sound hasn’t changed a whit. It’s still too sweet, too soothing, too perfect & too good to be true. Crosby’s déjà vu has little or no tune & fails totally to capture the eerie feeling that accompanies the true déjà vu experience. Nash’s Our House is a flyweight ditty. Young’s Country Girl, compared to his earlier work, is sadly undistinguished. Still’s 4+20 conjures up some quiet enigmas, but with such tepid questions, who really cares. Helpless, Carry On & Teach Your Children are excellent songs& are well performed, but they are the few….Langdon Winner

The Doors - Morrison Hotel
    This could have been a fine album, but the unavoidable truth- & this seems to be an insurmountable problem for the Doors- is that so much of it is out of the same extremely worn cloth as the songs on all their other albums. We’ve all been there before, not a few times, & their well of resources seems to be drying up…Lester Bangs

Mountain - Mountain Climbing
    There are, to be sure, some gems on Mountain Climbing. Sitting on a Rainbow is the best of the set. Never in my Life & Mississippi Queen are two more solid rock out numbers. Unfortunately, Mountain is one of those groups that overdoes it too often. Most of the other songs are buried under a garish musical collage, with screaming vocals on top of whining guitar on top of thumping bass, on top of rattling drums. Despite it’s limitations, the album does give us an idea of what the band is capable of. Like most of us, they are still figuring it all out. Definitely a band with a future…Ray Rezos

James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
    Throughout, his vocal stance is low key & perfectly matched to the country styled guitar work. No acute solos or overwrought melodies appear as everyone manages their way through Taylor’s persistent, lonely visions, that at times, work their way up to the intensity of Haiku. This is a hard album to argue with. Taylor seems to have found the perfect vehicle to say exactly what he has to say…Gay Von Tersch

Other albums reviewed:

BJ Thomas - Greatest Hits

Tony Joe White - Continued

Geoff & Maria Muldaur - Pottery Pie

The Incredible String Band - Changing Horses

David Peel & The Lower East Side - The American Revolution
    If you ever get a chance, instead of folding the cover out, fold it in, fold it over again & again. Leave the record in it while you are folding.

Blue Cheer - Blue Cheer

The Dillards - Copperfields

Singles Reviewed:

Southwind - Boogie Woogie Country Girl

Marmalade - Reflections of my Life

The Who - The Seeker

Albums Expected in the near future.

Solo albums by all four of the Beatles.
    Stephen Stills solo
    Grateful Dead - Working Mans Dead
    Live albums by the Everley Brother, Fleetwood Mac, & Cream.
    Procol Harum & Led Zepplin have laid down some tracks. As have Captain Beefheart & Canned Heat.
    Dylan has finished studio sessions on his next.
    On the lesser side, The Shirelles, The Coasters & Ronnie Hawkins are due to release new ones.

MRD

Man, some great albums this time around. Amazing that Neil Young is tired of all this in 9 years, but incredibly 39 years later, he's still doing it.

Grinder Switch. Man, haven't even THOUGHT of them in ages. And now that I do, what I hear is the lyric: "The train to Grinder Switch is running right on time and those Tucker Boys are cookin' down in Caroline". Razorbacker, I KNOW you can name that song it's from too.

Funny how some of the album reviews are not that great for albums we now consider classic.

And Sweet Baby James, man that was and still is a GREAT album

I always enjoy this thread as a look back.
    Swet Baby James will always be one of my all time favorites, so glad to see it was reviewed well. I would disagree with the review of Deja Vu. Our House and others are way more than ditties. I saw CS & N perform this year. And, more people in the audience had conceived kids to their albums, especially this one.... They took a tally of the audience which, surprisingly, had a very high concentration of 20 somethings.

I'm having a blast going through these issues, my only problem is that I don't have enough free time to get them done quicker. But, none the less, I enjoy pulling out my old vinyl & giving them a listen again. Cricklewood Green was just about the time we began to see where Ten Years After was heading & just how good a guitar player Alvin Lee would become. I hadn't listened to that one in many years. And, I am still astounded that the RS never seems to have anything good to say about the Doors. I thought Morrison Hotel had some really great songs on it, especially Land Ho.

MRD<> The South's Gonna Do It Again.

Elvin Bishop sittin on a bale of hay
    He ain't good lookin but he sure can play...
    Last edited by razorbacker; 03-27-2009 at 04:37 PM.

I think a lot of people disrespected the Doors. I am glad that they held the test of time. Morrison paved the way for a lot of singers and their songs were an amazing reflection on the angst of the times.

MRD

My oldest brother is a huge doors fan and I was at one time, but I got so tired of them because of him that now I don't listen to them much. But I do think they put out some great music and didn't get a lot of respect for it. I wonder if it was of because how Morrison himself behaved much of the time.

I would say that Morrison's behavior / actions on stage did doom them. However, those very actions did influence so many who came after him. He was considered very risque at that time. In today's market, where so many push the envelope, he may not have been treated quite the same way. When Elvis Presley came on the scene, he was all but condemned because of his antics on stage. By today's standards, most would consider him quite tame. By yesteryear standards, his actions were considered blasphemous.

+ Reply to Thread