+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

MRD

Re: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2649290;
    ^^^ I'm glad someone is enjoying reading this. It sure is fun going back through all this stuff & seeing it as it was at the time.

Disraeli Gears the title, according to the review & Clapton is a play on words. Apparantely they were just cruising around thinking of weird ways to say things & Disraeli Gears came up in reference to racing bicycles having Derailer Gears.
    Wow, that's interesting. I just assumed it had something to do with one of the former British Prime Ministers Benjamin Disraeli. But never understood the "gears" part of it. I really enjoy reading what's behind band names and albums and songs, etc.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Rolling Stone Issue 5

Dated Feb. 10 1968 Jim Morrison on the Cover

Here is an interestingly eerie factoid. As mentioned last issue Otis Redding had just been killed in a plane crash. He had just finished recording a song called “Shake.” This was the same song that was the last recording by Sam Cooke just before he died almost 3 years ago to the day.
    Creepy, I would advise against recording this song.

KMPX FM radio in San Francisco has held a “Grass Ballot” election. Bob Dylan has been named President of the U.S.. Paul Butterfield V.P.. George Harrison ambassador to the U.S.. Grateful Dead were selected as Attorney General, Owsley Stanley Transportation Chief ( this is the person that became so famous for his home made LSD), Jefferson Airplane Postmaster General, Joan Baez Secretary of State, Buffy Ste. Marie Interior Secretary, Labor Dept. will be headed up by The Mothers of Invention, Secretary of Defense… Country Joe MacDonald.

The Beatles have opened their clothing boutique on Baker Street in London. Much to the dismay of the locals. They don’t like the psychedelic murals painted on the outside of the building. After all, the is the staid & somber stomping grounds of Sherlock Holmes.

WMCA Radio in NYC has taken the radical step of banning the new album by the Who from their airwaves. According to music director Joe Bogart, The Who Sells Out is a disgusting album & he won’t even let his kids see the album cover.
    This is the album with the group sitting in a vat of baked beans & rubbing deodorant under their arms.

Country Joe & The Fish are the first San Francisco band to perform in London. Unfortunately for them they are also the first to be evicted from their Hotel. The Mayfair “just didn’t want hippies on their property”, so the booted them out.

The first Dylan album since his near fatal motorcycle crash has just been released. John Wesley Harding is more Country, was recorded in Nashville & according to Ralph J Gleason “Dylan has returned, cleansed, as a whole man with a new kind of serenity to illuminate his visions & a deeper artistic impulse from within himself.”

Ringo & George are both interviewed this issue. There is lot’s of good stuff about music, drugs, Vietnam etc. but the one thing that sticks out is how both of these guys are all about The Maharishi & his teachings & how he is such a wonderful fellow.
    It won’t be very long until this pedestal is knocked completely over.

Susan Lydon reviews The Graduate & calls it “an excellent, highly entertaining & hilarious movie.”

Jann Wenner writes an article titled Rock & Roll Music where he calls San Francisco the American Liverpool. So many great groups are making the Bay Area scene. Well known SF bands at the time are Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Big Brother, Steve Miller, Moby Grape, Country Joe, & Quicksilver, not to mention other bands that have moved to the area such as The Electric Flag & the Youngbloods. Then there are the second tier acts Sopwith Camel, Blue Cheer & Lee Michaels among others.
    And just think, future years would bring us New Riders of the Purple Sage, The Doobie Bros. Journey, Boz Scaggs, Creedence Clearwater, Lindsay Buckingham & even though Carlos himself was from Mexico the original Santana formed in San Francisco & there are many others that I am sure I am missing.

Jon Landau critiques the new Stones album Their Satanic Majesties Request saying that despite moments of brilliance, The Stones have put their status in jeopardy with this album. Calling the album so poorly produced as to sound amateurish. He calls this album an identity crisis & says they need to fix it quick.
    This is a full 1 ½ page review, & it’s a good thing people don’t pay much attention to critics or this would have killed The Stones career.

Other Albums Reviewed:

Wildflowers - Judy Collins
    Her 7th album is given good marks. And the reviewer mentions a new recording process that Elektra used called “Dolby.”

Forever Changes - Love
    The 3rd album from the group. They have dropped 2 members & now have 5. Despite inconsistency, this is still their best to date.

Magical Mystery Tour the movie has just been seen by an estimated 20 million people in Britain on the BBC. The critics called it “ Chaotic, appalling, naïve puffle, flop, tasteless, contemptuous, nonsense.” To which Paul responded “It was a mistake, we thought people would understand that it was magical & a mystery tour.”

There is an ad in the back stating that when you subscribe to the Rolling Stone they will send you a one of a kind, no two alike, either mahogany, ebony, or red oak handled “handy little device.” The attached picture shows it to actually be a ….roach clip. Not that I would know what that is.

MRD

Love it. Wish we had Country Joe as Defense Secretary now.

"And its one, two, three, what're we fightin' for....."

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2655977;
    Love it. Wish we had Country Joe as Defense Secretary now.

"And its one, two, three, what're we fightin' for....."
    Don't ask me, I don't give give a damn. The next stop is Viet Nam.
    This is is definitely going on my Christmas list from my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2655997;
    You'll definitely love it. I'm just hitting some of the highlights for me, there is lot's of stuff that might fit your interests more than mine. I'm working on issue 6 now.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2655997;
    Wonder if we could update the words to fit Iraq.

Don't ask me I don't give a crap, next stop is in Iraq.

This is definetly going on my Christmas wish list too.

Rolling Stone Issue 6

Dated Feb. 24 1968 Janis Joplin on the cover

This issue is a retrospective look back at 1967, called a “Look Back in Anger.”

The Who are off to Australia on a tour with the Small Faces.

The Mothers of Invention are in the studio to record a movie soundtrack, a documentary, that we all came to know as Uncle Meat.
    As an aside, I have always been a huge fan of Zappa & The Mothers.

A new film is in production in London titled Wonderwall. The film is being scored by first timer George Harrison.

The members of Moby Grape have been cleared of charges of marijuana possession.

Dylan’s new album John Wesley Harding has sold more than 250k in it’s first week, surprising many in the industry due to the fact that he had been absent & out of the public eye for over 16 months.

Some of the things covered in the look back at 1967: All awards are Rolling Stone opinions:

Biggest Downer? The guys from the Lovin Spoonful helping the cops with a drug buy & bust. But, the response from the fans was even worse. One person even took out a full page ad in the LA Times asking fans not to buy their music, not to go to their concerts & reminding the girls not to ball them. Surprisingly the LA Times published the ad as typed.

The Great Moment Award: January 14th & “The Gathering of the Tribes” a human be in, in Golden Gate Park, presided over by Timothy Leary, Alan Ginsberg & Dizzy Gillespie, with The Hells Angels presiding as peace officers (that wouldn't work to well for the Stones at Altamont in a few years).

Southern Comfort Award to Janis Joplin for her performance at the Monterrey Pop Festival

Newcomer of the Year to Jim Morrison & The Doors.
    Rock Group of the Year, The Who
    Record of the Year obviously Sgt. Pepper
    The Up The Creek Without a Paddle Award goes to The Mamas & Papas for a generally unsatisfying all around year.
    Woman of the Year goes to Aretha Franklin
    The Great Balls of Fire Award to Jimi Hendrix for setting his guitar on fire during Monterey Pop.

The monterey Pop Festival included performances by: Otis Redding, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Paul Butterfield, Electric Flag, Jefferson Airplane, Eric Burdon, Grateful Dead, Big Brother, Blues Project, Simon & Garfunkle, Mama’s & Papa’s, Ravi Shankar among others. Not a bad lineup at all.

The Supremes became Diana Ross & The Supremes & The Vandellas became Martha Reeves & The Vandellas,

There is an article called Cinema ‘67 written by a person named Jonathan Cott.
    If anyone that buys this set reads this article can you pleas explain it to me. I am more than a little lost.

Jon Landau writes an article called Soul 67, where he takes white rock & roll to task & compares the psychedelic San Francisco sound very negatively to what is happening in Soul Music. He doesn’t particularly point towards Motown as the ideal, but rather Memphis. The city, where, the last year has has brought us the emergence of Stax Records & acts such as Aretha, Sam & Dave, Carla Thomas, Booker T & the MG’S, Albert King & Wilson Pickett among many others. Sadly, we lost Otis Redding, the brightest light on the Memphis / Soul scene last December.

Album Reviews: For the first time some reviewers names are listed

Wild Honey - The Beach Boys
    This album gets a tepid review at best, there are some good, some bad, but they end by saying that “It’s good to see the Beach Boys getting their heads straight again.” For the first six issues of this magazine, they very seldom have anything positive to say about this group, their music, or even the Boys as people. Pretty weird.
    I never liked the Beach Boys either. Maybe I should have written for the Rolling Stone way back when.

Tenderness Junction - The Fugs
    This album, if they were giving thumbs down way back then, would have gotten one. They say it’s the same thing as the previous two albums by the group.
    Quite frankly I have never heard of the band or any of the guys in the band.

Everything Playing _ The Lovin Spoonful
    It’s a new Spoonful & they just aren’t as good. Gone is guitar man Zally Yanovsky, replaced by Jerry Yester formerly of the Association. And gone is much of the spirit of the group.

John Wesley Harding - Bob Dylan
    This was Dylan’s foray into a Country/Blues type of album. Produced & Recorded in Nashville, RS thinks it is Bob’s best ever.

No news from across the pond this time, for the first time.

The good news is that there are still roach clips available for all those new subscribers.

Rolling Stone Issue 7

Dated March 9 1968 Jimi Hendrix on the cover

Jefferson Airplane has split from their manager, a guy named Bill Graham, & are going it on their own. The band is also battling RCA over recording & promotion, negotiations are ongoing, with some members refusing to step into the studio again for RCA until all is settled. One interesting thing the article mentions is that as of now The Airplane is the highest paid American Band, getting $7500.00 per night.
    Now days a band won’t even get out of bed for a mere $7500.

The Who, Small Faces & Paul Jones were thrown off of a flight during a tour of Australia for insulting a passenger, drinking beer & making an attendant cry.

8 Rock groups have been added to Who’s Who in America for 1968…Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Country Joe & The Fish, The Doors, The Mamas & The Papas, The Monkees, The Rolling Stones, & Donovan. Previously the only ones listed were Elvis & The Beatles.

For the first time issue #7 has a comprehensive listing of recent releases. It’s a long list, but see if you remember any of these.
    American Breed - Bend Me Shape Me
    Grass Roots - Feelings
    Iron Butterfly - Heavy
    Lemon Pipers - Green Tambourine
    Peanut Butter Conspiracy - Great Conspiracy
    Union Gap - Woman Woman
    Peaches & Herb - Golden Duet
    Steppenwolf
    Ten Years After
    Vanilla Fudge - Beat Goes On
    Ultimate Spinach

The is a rather long piece on Hendrix. It is sort of Jimi going off on a stream of consciousness trip. I’d like to tell you what is said, but the subjects change so abruptly & go from left field to right field so quickly, it is tough to summarize.
    The one thing I can tell you is about the formation of the band. It seems as though Jimi was asked to go to London (by his manager Chas Chandler/ex bassist for the Animals) to form a band. Noel Redding was in the same studio to audition as a guitar player for Eric Burdon & the New Animals. Well, Noel was asked (by Chas) to concentrate on playing Bass, he agreed, he auditioned for The Experience, he got the gig & the rest is History.

There is a piece about the Maharishi & a long interview of Ravi Shankar. I guess RS was touching on some Indian Spirituality & music for this issue.

Album Reviews:

Something Else - The Kinks
    The reviewer says this is the best album by the Kinks ever. He then adds, “paradoxically it may also be the last album they ever release in this country,” But, he never explains just what is meant by that statement & as we all know the Kinks would be around for decades, so I think the reviewer just wanted to get paid extra for extra words or something.

Mass in F Minor- The Electric Prunes
    Here is a quote. “ The plague is upon us & the unfortunate perpetrators of the assault on the ears are The Electric Prunes, a rather unexceptional group to say the least.” The album is a Rock Mass album, a first of it’s kind, but also the first Rock album ever recorded in Latin. Another quote: “ There is actually very little vocal work which turns out to be a fortunate development. Whenever the Prunes sing, a falsetto-tinged, off tune, weak voiced, entirely repugnant howl, emanates from the group, it’s sort of like tone deaf monks singing a Gregorian chant.
    I reckon they don’t like the album or the group either for that matter. Pretty funny stuff, & hands down the worst review ever over the first 7 issues.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2665153;
    Rolling Stone Issue 7

For the first time issue #7 has a comprehensive listing of recent releases. It’s a long list, but see if you remember any of these.
    American Breed - Bend Me Shape Me
    Grass Roots - Feelings
    Iron Butterfly - Heavy
    Lemon Pipers - Green Tambourine
    Peanut Butter Conspiracy - Great Conspiracy
    Union Gap - Woman Woman
    Peaches & Herb - Golden Duet
    Steppenwolf
    Ten Years After
    Vanilla Fudge - Beat Goes On
    Ultimate Spinach

. [/B]
    I didn't realize that Peaches and Herb had been around that long. I remember that god awful song of theirs from the 70's: Reunited.

Wasn't the Union Gap, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap? Or did that come earlier or later?
    Never heard of Ultimate Spinach, The Great Peanut Butter Conspiracy (other than as a title for a much later Jimmy Buffet song) or the Lemon Pipers.

Ten Years After, I haven't heard any of their stuff in ages. I had forgotten about them.

Thanks again. This is great. I have mentioned it about 10 times to my family as a Christmas gift for me.

ETA: Why so many food names for groups? Besides the ones listed above (and I think I'm glad I never heard the Electric Prunes), let us not forget Strawberry Alarm Clock.
    So did the bands just head to the local grocery store for a perusal of the shelves for naming inspiration, or was it a consequence of getting the munchies and then thinking of a great food name for the band because they were just REALLY hungry?

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2665461;
    I didn't realize that Peaches and Herb had been around that long. I remember that god awful song of theirs from the 70's: Reunited.

Wasn't the Union Gap, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap? Or did that come earlier or later?
    Never heard of Ultimate Spinach, The Great Peanut Butter Conspiracy (other than as a title for a much later Jimmy Buffet song) or the Lemon Pipers.

Ten Years After, I haven't heard any of their stuff in ages. I had forgotten about them.

Thanks again. This is great. I have mentioned it about 10 times to my family as a Christmas gift for me.

ETA: Why so many food names for groups? Besides the ones listed above (and I think I'm glad I never heard the Electric Prunes), let us not forget Strawberry Alarm Clock.
    So did the bands just head to the local grocery store for a perusal of the shelves for naming inspiration, or was it a consequence of getting the munchies and then thinking of a great food name for the band because they were just REALLY hungry?
    Union Gap was The Union Gap featuring Gary Puckett before they became Gary Puckett & the Union Gap. Good Grief.

You don't remember Green Tambourine by the Lemon Pipers? I bet you do.

Electric Prunes were known for their big hit, I had Too Much To Dream Last Night.

I have seen Ten Years After a couple of times, once just about 5 years ago. Alvin Lee is still around & does a lot of solo stuff. He may be one of the most underrated guitarists ever. He is phenomenal live.

+ Reply to Thread