+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Re: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Rolling Stone Issue 49

Dated December 27, 1969. Mick Jagger on the cover.

The Stones tour is in the final stages & they continue to promise a free concert. The problem is that they have been unable to find a place to hold it yet. They are still leaning toward San Francisco. Maybe they can work something out with Altamont & have the Hells Angels involved…yeah I think that might work.
    Let it Bleed has already sold 1 million copies & it is their 12th of 14 albums to be certified as a million seller.
    Mick states he doesn’t like the new stuff The Beatles have done, hasn’t liked much of it since Sgt. Peppers, even going so far as to call The White Album “just ordinary.”

Leigh Stevens ex Blue Cheer guitar player has formed a new band in the UK called Silver Metre for Buddah Racords.

Rumor has it that Ringo is working on a solo album.

B.B. King was asked who is favorite White Blues musician is, his answer…Johnny Winter.

Keyboard player Lee Michaels has been approached for two separate gigs 1) a gig with the Boston Symphony & 2) jamming on the next album of Jimi Hendrix.

Bass player Lonnie Turner is splitting from Steve Miller leaving Steve at least temporarily without a band.

Duane Allman was stopped by the cops on his motor cycle & charged with speeding (60 in a 25), reckless driving, no helmet, running two stop signs, expired license tag, no drivers license, improper tag, & failure to obey an officer. Fine..$625. Too bad he didn’t take this as a sign & just stay off the bike for good.

Sam & Dave have long hated each other, never even speaking unless they were on stage together. Now, it is being reported that Sam has pulled a knife on Dave & the two are on the verge of implosion.

Lord Sutch, the British rocker that once ran for Parliament has put out an album called Lord Sutch & his Heavy Friends. Those friends are Jimmy Page, John Bonham, Jeff Beck, Noel Redding & Nicky Hopkins. I found this album in a cut out bin, so I bought it for the musicians involved. The best I remember it is almost unlistenable. There is a good reason the guy was known as "Screaming" Lord Sutch. I'm going to play it again & see if it is bad as I remember.

Phil Ochs is recording his 4th album, produced by the ubiquitous Van Dyke Parks.

CSN&Y will feature a new song by Joni Mitchell called Woodstock on their next album. (They were there, she wasn’t)

The King of Western Swing, Spade Cooley, has died at the age of 59. He was convicted in 1961 of beating his wife to death & was given a life sentence. He was awarded a 72 hour pass from prison to perform a benefit concert for the county sheriffs dept. in Oakland. He performed a fiddle solo, got a standing ovation from the 2,800 people in attendance, told them “it was great to be free for a while”, walked back stage & fell over dead. Weird!!

John Lennon is stirring controversy by returning his Order of British Empire to Buckingham Palace. He is trying to direct peoples attention to the War & peace prospects.

The Kinks have finished up the first US tour since 1965. All dates were sold out, & they are going to begin work on the next album & also have plans to return for another US tour in March.

Once again, it is being said & denied, that Blind Faith is breaking/has broken/will break up. Ginger Baker is rumored to become a drummer for Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton is recording with Delaney & Bonnie, & Steve Winwood has just finished a solo project & looking to work on a jam project with Jimi Hendrix & Lee Michaels. The bands management, the Stigwood Organization, is sticking to company lines & denying that the band is finished.

Ads for groups or albums this issue:

The Turtles - Turtle Soup on Blimp Records, produced by Ray Davies.

Cold Blood - with the incredible vocalist Lydia Pense has released their first album & it is also the first album on San Francisco Records ( a subsidiary of Atlantic)

David Ackles - Subway to the Country on Elektra

Columbia Records has taken out a 4 page Christmas Ad, pimping all their releases available as Christmas gifts. This is the first all Color ad to appear in the pages of RS.

Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers on RCA

Ike & Tina Turner - The Hunter on Blue Thumb

Yes- on Atlantic

The Allman Brothers Band on ATCO

Golden Earring - Eight Miles High on Atlantic

Catfish - Get Down on Epic

The Moody Blues - To Our Children’s Children’s Children on London Records

Album Reviews:

Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed
    The music has at once tones that are perfectly clear & dark. The Stones carry the songs past lyrics & right into emotions. On songs like Let It Bleed, Midnight Rambler & Live with Me, the Stones prance through all their familiar roles. The frightening desperation of Gimme Shelter & the confused frustration of You Can’t Always get what You Want, give way to the bravado of Midnight Rambler. In Let it Bleed we have what The Stones meant to us in the 60’s & you’ll find an opening into the 70’s….Greil Marcus

Johnny Winter - Second Winter
    It’s a joy that JW has been brought among us, however irritating the hypes that surround him. All the BS becomes meaningless now, precisely because the forced enthusiasm of flacks & ad copy is so totally antithetical to the vibrantly instinctive eruption of his talent….Lester Bangs

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King On Atlantic Records
    Their debut album drags in some places, but for the most part they have managed to convey effectively their own vision of desolation row. And the more I listen, the more things fall into place & the better it gets. Moonchild opens the second side & is the weakest song on the album. KC will probably be condemned by some for pompousness, but that criticism isn’t really valid. How effectively this music can translate to the stage is a big question. Still, the first album is successful hopefully there is more to come….John Morthland

Steve Miller Band - Your Saving Grace
    From the Miller Band you never expect much so it’s always a pleasure & somehow a surprise to hear a good new Miller release. Your Saving Grace is outstanding, due I suspect in large part to the presence of Nicky Hopkins on 5 of the 8 cuts. Motherless Children has a bit of everything, but my favorite track is Baby’s House, it is merely a beautiful song. Steve Miller just keeps taking care of business ..Ed Leimbacher

Other albums reviewed:

Wilbert Harrison - Let’s Work Together

Jo Ann Kelly - Jo Ann Kelly

Arlo Guthrie - Runnin Down the Road

The Byrds - Ballad of Easy Rider

We are getting ready to move into the 70's & more & more the great bands are beginning to appear.

MRD

Ohhh the 70's, can't wait. I always think of that as "my" decade as that's really when I discovered music. Or good music.

Let it Bleed is probably in my top 3 Stones albums. It's hard to pick out of those 3 which I like best. But Let it Bleed, Some Girls and Tattoo You are my top 3 Stone's albums.

Johnny Winter. He just played here and of course as has happened with the last 3 or 4 people I've wanted to see, I had to work and couldn't go. I've seen Edgar and he is amazing live, so I would guess Johnny is even better as he was always the better musician of the two I feel.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3255970;
    Ohhh the 70's, can't wait. I always think of that as "my" decade as that's really when I discovered music. Or good music.

Let it Bleed is probably in my top 3 Stones albums. It's hard to pick out of those 3 which I like best. But Let it Bleed, Some Girls and Tattoo You are my top 3 Stone's albums.

Johnny Winter. He just played here and of course as has happened with the last 3 or 4 people I've wanted to see, I had to work and couldn't go. I've seen Edgar and he is amazing live, so I would guess Johnny is even better as he was always the better musician of the two I feel.
    I'm looking forward to moving into the 70's as well.

A couple of issues back, there was the Dylan interview in which this came up:

The Dylan Interview:
    Interestingly enough it took Jann Wenner 1½ years of convincing to finally get Bob to do the interview, & on the day it took place they were in one of the top floors of a NYC Hotel, while down on the street, lines were forming around the block to pay final tribute to Judy Garland who’s funereal was that day

Just last night I watched a show on the History Channel all about the 70's & it came to light that the NYC Police had been harassing the gays pretty badly for months. And, it just so happened that on the same day as that interview, was the first time the gays decided to fight back. They joined forces during yet another night club raid & for whatever reason decided enough was enough. They said the melee lasted 5 days.

Also, I just got back from the trauma unit. I did indeed sit through the entire Lord Sutch album & I may never be the same. It has been played 2 times, almost 40 years apart, & it sucked as bad this time as it did the first time. Good thing it was a cutout, but I'm sure I have one of the very few copies in existance...anyone wanna buy it?

Don't tempt me, razor.

I couldn't quite tell if the reviewer actually liked Let It Bleed. Now I'm nowhere near the fan that mrd is, but I do consider that album their best work.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3256211;
    I'm looking forward to moving into the 70's as well.

A couple of issues back, there was the Dylan interview in which this came up:

The Dylan Interview:
    Interestingly enough it took Jann Wenner 1½ years of convincing to finally get Bob to do the interview, & on the day it took place they were in one of the top floors of a NYC Hotel, while down on the street, lines were forming around the block to pay final tribute to Judy Garland who’s funereal was that day

Just last night I watched a show on the History Channel all about the 70's & it came to light that the NYC Police had been harassing the gays pretty badly for months. And, it just so happened that on the same day as that interview, was the first time the gays decided to fight back. They joined forces during yet another night club raid & for whatever reason decided enough was enough. They said the melee lasted 5 days.

Also, I just got back from the trauma unit. I did indeed sit through the entire Lord Sutch album & I may never be the same. It has been played 2 times, almost 40 years apart, & it sucked as bad this time as it did the first time. Good thing it was a cutout, but I'm sure I have one of the very few copies in existance...anyone wanna buy it?
    I watched that same show Razorbacker. I was amazed at how the laws were for gays until the mid 70's. I had no idea. Back then, I didn't know what gay was quite honestly and in my small town, no news like that got through.

Great show though. I really enjoyed it as there were a lot of interesting 70's history. Did you see the one on 70's tech? They showed 8 track players.

To everyone that has been reading this thread over the course of the year, I'd like to wish you a very Merry Christmas. To those of you that have taken time to respond, Thanks much it means alot. To those of you that have remained silent, I know you're out there, I see the thread views numbers going up, we'd all love to hear your thoughts & memories in the future.

Happy Holidays to all! And to all a good night!!

MRD

Razorbacker, Merry Christmas and THANK YOU!!! I have enjoyed this thread more than you know. And I can't wait to move into the 70's.

Thanks for taking your time to post these. It has been a lot of fun.

Have a wonderful holiday and a healthy and happy New Year.

Rolling Stone Issue 50

Dated January 21, 1970. The Stones debacle at Altamont on the cover.

Five Hells Angels attacked & started to beat a black man, according to a bystander in the crowd, for apparently no good reason. The man began to run, but he was chased down, one of the HA’S pulled a knife & stabbed him in the back. The guy was scared & pulled a gun, but never shot it, the HA’S got the gun from him & stabbed him in the back a second time. As the man stumbled away he was kicked in the face 4 or 5 times, then he was kicked in the ribs. The last words he muttered were “I wasn’t going to shoot you.” Then five of them proceeded to kick the man to death & one even stood on his head, while another smashed him with a garbage can.
    The Stones were actually afraid to play the gig, because it had gotten so big & violent. Even before the show started, as they were getting off a helicopter someone rushed through security & punched Jagger in the face. The band wanted not to go on at all, but they were afraid that would make matters even worse. As it was, they had to stop continually & ask the crowd to settle down & stop all the violence.
    It is reported that the violence began during Santana’s set, continued to expand during the set by Jefferson Airplane & got continually worse as the day went on. The only person, from an artists standpoint, to get involved, was Marty Balin of the Airplane, who actually punched out one of the Angels, & in return got laid out himself.
    There were 300,000 in attendance, four kids were born, & four partiers were killed.
    The Hells Angels were hired as security for a cost of $500 worth of beer by the Stones road manager.
    Meredith Hunter was the 18 year old black man that was stabbed & repeatedly kicked & eventuallt killed.

It took 3 days of testimony & eight hours of jury deliberation, but Jimi Hendrix is found not guilty of possession of Hash & Heroin in Toronto. During his testimony he admitted to smoking grass 4 times, hash 3 times, dropping acid 5 times, snorting coke twice, but he has never touched Heroin. He claims to have “outgrown” drugs.

Random Notes:

Allen Klein is trying to get together a Beatles tour in the Spring. None of the guys in the band are up for it.
    John Phillips, ex Mama & Papa, is scheduled to write the soundtrack for the upcoming movie Myra Breckenridge.
    Gordon Lightfoot has signed a 5 year million dollar contract with Reprise. His first five albums were on United Artists label.
    Joan Baez has had a baby boy named Gabriel. Mother is resting well at Stanford University Hospital, Father not resting so well in Safford Federal Prison in Arizona.
    Despite numerous stories about the decline of Procul Harum, the band is still alive. Two old members have departed, & two new members have joined Gary Brooker, Barry J. Wilson & Robin Trower who all stuck around.
    For the first time ever, during the Stones show in the Oakland Coliseum, they were able to project the live show on 11’X14” screens so that even those in the back could get a good view.
    Dave Mason has signed with Blue Thumb Records & looking to form a band.
    Arthur Lee has for the umpteenth time replaced all the members of his band Love.
    Junior Wells has left Vanguard Records & is shopping for a new label.
    Phil Spector has left A&M records & is now working for himself.
    It is now official, after 1 record & 1 tour Blind Faith is no more. Word is that Ginger Baker gave such a hard time to Steve Winwood during the tour, that it is highly doubtful whether the two will even speak again.
    AT&T paid $600,000 for a Simon & Garfunkle entertainment TV Special, only the guys delivered what AT&T called a political statement. So, the show was sold for $170,000 to Alberto Culver.

For the first time, John Lennon in an interview with the British press, has said that it is a true possibility that The Beatles will be breaking up. He says it’s all a matter of whether or not they want to record together & as of now, he just isn’t feeling it. One of the problems is that there are three of them writing material & none of them wants to be a backup to the other two, so recording an album has become a fight & a chore.
    He says that they started out with the goal of being bigger in the states that Elvis. He knew that as solos they wouldn’t be able to do that because Paul wasn’t strong enough, John didn’t have enough girl appeal, George was too quiet, & Ringo was a drummer. But, they figured that between the four of them, everyone would find something to like.

Leon Russell has cut his first solo album (after the Asylum Choir duo with Marc Benno) with the help of some of rocks greatest. Sidemen & accompanying artists include Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Charley Watts & Bill Wyman of the Stones, George & Ringo from the Beatles & Chris Stainton from Joe Cocker’s band. This album would bring us Delta Lady, which can also be heard on Joe Cocker’s first album, & A Song For You.

You may or may not remember this, but as of the time that this issue went to press, there were still over 200 American Indians occupying Alcatraz Island. They say the island, & any other surplus Federal Lands belong to them under the treaty of 1868.

The Allman Brothers Band- The very first release for the band & for Capricorn Records

Larry Coryell - On Vanguard

Pink Floyd - Ummagumma on Harvest Records…including the song Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave & Grooving with a Pict.

Charles Musselwhite -Tennessee Woman …this is an interesting ad, it says..Tennessee Woman is Charles Musselwhites’ last album on Vanguard. GOODBYE CHARLEY, it’s been a hassel, lot’s of luck with your new label. (Lew & Bob, your former managers say goodbye too)

Renaissance- Their first album on Elektra produced by Paul Samwell Smith

Chambers Brothers - Love, Peace & Happiness on Columbia Records

The Grateful Dead -- Live Dead on Warner Brothers

Album Reviews:

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Willy & The Poor Boys
    The album has considerably more variation & imagination that any album they have yet produced. There may be as many as 6 singles on it. Fortunate Son & Down on the Corner, are probably the most interesting things they have done yet. Fortunate Son is also the most political that Fogarty has ever gotten. Despite the variety, there will be those that say it all sounds the same. I just take bets on who’ll be around in five years & it won’t be Ten Years After…Alec Dubro

Other albums reviewed:

Little Walter - Hate to see you go

Sonny Boy Williamson - Bummer Road

Elmore James - Who’s Muddy Shoes

Muddy Waters - Sail On

Howlin Wolf - Evil

Since Delaney & Bonnie have been mentioned n so many of the last Rolling Stone isuues I have posted, I thought maybe this belonged in this thread.

Delaney Bramlett dies in L.A. | Entertainment | People | Reuters

Delaney Bramlett dies in L.A.
    Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:18am EST

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Rock guitarist Delaney Bramlett, who collaborated with such artists as George Harrison and Eric Clapton, died in a Los Angeles hospital following gallbladder surgery. He was 69.

His wife, Susan Lanier-Bramlett, said he died on Saturday after "seven hard months" of ill health.

"I held him and he held on up until the last breath with which he went in peace to the light and on into eternity," she said in a statement.
    The Mississippi native first gained renown in the late 1960s as part of the southern-fried rhythm and blues combo Delaney & Bonnie, which he formed with his first wife, Bonnie Lynn. The gifted duo were often overshadowed by their "Friends," as their backing group was known. Among them was Clapton, who regularly performed as a low-key sideman.

Bramlett, in turn, produced Clapton's self-titled debut solo album in 1970, and co-wrote most of the songs, including the gospel-tinged hit single "Let It Rain." On a personal note, for me, the guitar solo on this song by Eric, is one of the finest ever recorded.

Clapton brought Delaney & Bonnie to England, and recruited such musicians as Harrison and Dave Mason to perform at their shows. According to Bramlett's biography, he taught Harrison how to play slide guitar and to write a gospel song, which led to the recording of the former Beatle's hit single "My Sweet Lord."

Delaney & Bonnie enjoyed a few hits of their own, including the 1971 tune "Never Ending Song Of Love," but their popularity faded after Clapton moved on. The couple divorced after releasing their last album together, 1972's "Together."

Rolling Stone Issue 51

Dated February 7, 1970. John & Yoko on the cover.

The Plastic Ono Band made their live British debut in London at a pre Christmas benefit for UNICEF. The band was made up of John & Yoko with side men including Clapton, George Harrison. Delaney & Bonnie, Billie Preston , Klaus Voorman on Bass & Allen White on drums. Reviews were mixed…great for the band…not so great for Yoko.

John & Yoko are presently in Canada, for a Peace Festival, staying with Ronnie Hawkins.
    John is asked if he can remember the first time he decided to get into music. He says’ the first time I heard Elvis Presley.”
    He says that The Beatles have become a museum & that image has to be either scrapped, deformed, or changed.
    John is also spending time meeting with Politicians (including Prime Minister Trudeau) & representatives of the Canadian government which is investigating the possibility of legalizing Marijuana.
    When asked about the incident with The Stones & Altamont, he replies” I think they created that either subconsciously or whatever: & that is the result of the mood & the image they create. I think if you create a peaceful image you have a better chance.”
    He hasn’t seen Paul in months.
    He admits to a preference for the White Album & Abbey Road over Sgt. Pepper. He also gives credit to Paul for holding The Beatles together & keeping them in the studio while the others weren’t all that interested.
    Asked about the furor over the Paul is dead thing…”It was a bit of a laugh, but it was a sick joke also. I know a lot of people thought I did it…to push Abbey Road. But, it didn’t need pushing & I would have never come up with an idea like that.”

Random Notes

After 11 years with ABC Records, Ray Charles is in negotiations with up to 4 other companies for all future recordings.

Rolling Stone is still referring to the next Beatles album by the name of Get Back. Regardless, the name of the album, the next single is reportedly something written by Paul called Let it Be (sounds like a good album name to me).

Janis has been seen out on the town in NYC with Joe Namath. She has just finished a concert at Madison Square Garden & following that a party was hosted by Clive Davis at his Central Park Apt.. Rockers on hand were Dylan, Johnny Winter, Laura Nyro & Paul Butterfield. Michael J Pollard of Bonnie & Clyde fame was there as were Tony Bennett & NY Times columnist Earl Wilson. Other rock impresarios included Ahmet Ertegun, & Neil Bogart.

Former bass player of Moby Grape, Bob Mosely, has joined the Marines.

There is a popular new band on the concert circuit called Grand Funk Railroad. After a concert in Atlanta, they presented a check for $1,000 to help with defense of people who may get busted in the future.

Gene Clark, ex Byrds, is now also ex Dillard & Clark. He has been recording lately with the Flying Burrito Brothers.

The latest by CSN&Y has been pushed from Jan. to Feb. release.

Loudon Wainwright Jr. has just signed with Atlantic for “big money.”

Anybody care to guess what the biggest selling album by Atlantic records to date is? How bout In-A Gadda- Da - Vida by Iron Butterfly.. I’m not at all sure what that says hm!

The Maysles Brothers, who had been filming the entire Rolling Stones tour, were also on hand at Altamont & filmed the entire murder including very clear facial evidence of the people that did the stabbing. They are not releasing the film, nor naming the camera men, because of fear for the lives.

The Bonzo Dog Band has split up.. They just decided it wasn’t good any more. It was supposed to be fun but then it became a job.

The Who are performing Tommy all across Europe in Opera Houses. They will be the first rock band to perform in most of these famous establishments. Then they are coming to the US for 3 weeks.

Albert King has just finished a blues performance backed by the 87 piece St. Louis Orchestra.

There is a concert/TV special in the works staring Creedence Clearwater Revival. For the first time the concert will be recorded in Stereo & simulcast on FM stereo.

The strange life of Aretha Franklin continues. Her estranged husband, Ted White, has been arrested & charged with assault & attempted murder after shooting the brother of the late Sam Cooke.

Beach Boy Carl Wilson has been convicted of failing to report for military induction. He is free while appealing the case. He faces 5 yrs. In jail & a $10k fine.

This is the annual look back at the previous year issue. Rolling Stone always has facetious awards they hand out to the deserving & sometimes not so deserving. Let’s see how many of these you recall. And the Awards go to:

The Guy Lombardo Award to Blood Sweat & Tears
    The I Can Get High Without Drugs Award to Donovan & Art Linkletter.
    The first Annual Nine Inches will get you in but it won’t get you out of jail Award goes to Jim Morrison.
    There were two couples of the year awards; Tiny Tim & Ms. Vickie & Jackie & Ari Onasis tied.
    The LA Free Press earns the Audie Murphy medal (with marijuana leaf cluster) for publishing the names & addresses of 80 California narcotics officers.
    Most regrettable breakup of the year goes to Traffic.
    The Rolling Stone No Biz like Show Biz award goes to Janis Joplin for her remarks about getting booted off the cover of Newsweek due to the death of President Eisenhower. “14 heart attacks & he had to die in my week. In MY week.”
    Comeback of the year: Elvis Presley
    Album of the year: Nashville Skyline
    Song of the Year: Gimme Shelter
    American Band of the year: CCR
    Most popular new group:: Led Zeppelin
    Best Record Jacket design: Let it Bleed.
    Most Overrated Album: Tommy
    Best Soul Single: Marvin Gaye, I Heard it Through the Grapevine
    The Fame is Fleeting Award: Bass player Rick Grech of Blind Faith.
    A Moment to Remember Award goes to Woodstock
    Most Adventurous Album of the Year; Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart
    Best Soul Album: Love Man by Otis Redding
    Country Star of the Year: Johnny Cash
    For Great Country Rock the Awards are split between The Byrds, The Flying Burrito Brothers & Poco & called the Golden Cow pie Awards.
    The first annual You’re Staring a Gift Horse in the Mouth & Stepping on the Goose that Laid the Golden Egg with Your Left Foot Award goes to The Record Industry for raising the price of an album to $6.98.

Some of the notable deaths in 1969 included:
    Gabby Hayes, Leonard Chess, Spade Cooley, Brian Jones, Jack Kerouac, Colman Hawkins, Boris Karloff, Dwight Eisenhower, Judy Garland, Mary Jo Kopechne, Ho Chi Minh, & Diane Linkletter among others.

Quicksilver - Shady Grove on Capitol Records & Tapes

The Rascals - See on Atlantic records or 8 Track Tape

Joe South - He Sees You on Capitol

Neil Diamond - Touching You Touching Me on Universal

Fusion - Border Town on ATCO

Sir Douglas Quintet - Together After Five on Smash Records a division of Mercury

Album Reviews:

The Guess Who - Canned Wheat
    They are a Canadian band & are quite refreshing in the face of all the heavy metal of the past year, & would be even more pleasurable if they didn’t sound so much like the Airplane (instrumentally) & Buffalo Springfield (vocally). No Time is a soaring riff with all of the Airplanes drive & none of their pretensions. I’ll take it & be satisfied - they have the musical accomplishments to let us hope that their next album might find them singing their very own song…Lester Bangs

Steppenwolf - Monster
    Monster is the latest volume in Steppenwolf’s continuing campaign for social justice, soil conservation, & sexual freedom. That tight clean sound is gone, their arrangements have become sloppy & crude, as the lyrics clash with the music. They have gotten stale. The musicians all perform well, unfortunately whenever they get close to putting it all together, the lyrics get in the way…Ray Rezos

Yes - Yes
    Yes, a fine developing musical group. Their sound seems to be a mix of several of the most popular current approaches notably CS&N (vocally) & Vanilla Fudge (instrumentally). Unlike the Fudge they have a sense of style, taste & subtlety & the record is a pleasurable one. The only trouble is that there are hosts of other bands who are into the same bag with equal facility & taste….Lester Bangs

Rod Stewart - The Rod Stewart Album
    The former lead singer of the Jeff Beck Group has come up with a superb album of his own. Ron Wood plays some superb bottleneck guitar. Stewart opens by taking the big risk with Street Fighting Man & shows no self consciousness about the right way to do it. Man of Constant Sorrow is next & is the definition of English Soul. Many LP’s are flashier than this one, but damn few are any better….Greil Marcus

Grand Funk Railroad - On Time
    One of the most simplistic, talent less, one dimensional, unmusical groups of the year. The drumming is guaranteed to send you up the wall. Absolutely unbelievable!!!

Other albums reviewed:

Roxy…this is not Roxy Music…these guys are from LA.

Valhalla - Valhalla

Ella Fitzgerald -Ella

Evie Sands - Any Way That You Want Me

The Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrows

The Temptations - Puzzle People & Cloud Nine

Taj Mahal - Giant Steps & De Old Folks at Home

Lorraine Ellison - Stay With Me

Grateful Dead - Live Dead

Terry Riley - Rainbow in Curved Air

+ Reply to Thread