+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Re: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

MRD, Thanks for always responding. I can't believe there aren't others that read these things & have lived through some of this stuff & have opinions, but they are obviously the silent majority.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Guilty as charged. I enjoy reading this and have often meant to comment, but... sorry! Keep 'em coming.

MRD

Razorbacker,

I know others read them. I enjoy them and can't thank you enough for posting this stuff. Not only do I read them, but then I give a little report on them to my husband and he enjoys them too. We especially like reading about "new" acts that the reviewers aren't real sure of that are now considered "Superstar acts" like CS&N and others. It's really cool to see how these new groups and artists are received when they first appear as now we look back on them with this aura of greatness that surrounds them now and at one time, they were the new kids on the block taking the punches from the critics.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks ya'll for the kind words. Here is something I hope you find interesting, whil I work on the next RS.

I’m still stuck in 1956 as far as the Billboard Charts go & may be for a while yet to come. So, here are a few anomalies from the year.

There were a few artists that would go on to be big stars that had some rather weird chart debuts.

Morris Stoloff would have his only hit with The Theme from the movie Picnic, yet it would go all the way to the top & spend 3 weeks there. That’s the definition of a One Hit Wonder, eh?

The biggest song in the career of Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers is obviously Why Do Fools Fall in Love, yet it would peak at #6 & they would never hit the Top 10 again.

Gene Vincent made his debut with Be Bop A Lula. The song would stall at #7 & he also would not see the Top 10 again.

I’m sure everybody has heard Since I Met You Baby by Ivory Joe Hunter. This was his first & only Top 40 hit, peaking at # 12.

Johnny Cash entered the chart wars in 1956 with his first single, I’ll Walk the Line, yet he saw it peak at # 17 on the Pop Charts, it would however, spend 6 weeks at #1 on the Country Charts.

Marty Robbins first Pop hit was Singin the Blues. It would get only as high as #17, but he outdid Johnny Cash on the Country Charts with 13 weeks at #1.

Everybody remembers The Cadillacs & their first hit Speedoo. It must have been a huge hit right? Afterall, it is a staple of oldies radio. But, it also peaked at #17. They would have only 1 other Top 30 hit 3 years later & then disappear.

The #17 chart position must have been tough to get over. Tutti Frutti by Little Richard was his debut single & 17 was as high as it would get.

Fever made it’s debut on the charts in 1956. Not by Peggy Lee, but the original charted version was by Little Willie John & it would get only as high as #24. It would be two years before Peggy Lee would record the song.

The Grammy Hall of Fame Song, In The Still of the Night by the Five Satins reached only #24. The song may be more highly thought of now than it was then. At least it is still played a lot.

Eydie Gorme made her Pop Chart debut with a song called Too Close for Comfort. It would barely get into the Top 40, peaking at #39 & spending only 9 total weeks on the Top 100 charts.

Clyde McPhatter decided to leave the Drifters behind & strike out on his own. His first single was Seven Days & it stopped at #44. He would have only 2 Top 10 hits over the rest of his career while The Drifters would have hit after hit over the next 8 years. I’m sure he probably wondered about his decision.

Chet Atkins saw his first offering, The Poor People of Paris, stall out at # 52. It may have had something to do with the fact that he was 1 of 4 acts to record the song & the other 3 were Orchestral/Big Band arrangements.

Andy Williams' first single was a song called Walk Hand in Hand. The song had a short walk as it could only get as high as #54.

Ooby Dooby was the debut song for Roy Orbison. It would be a hit for others in the years to come, but it got only to # 59 for Roy.

The Coasters would have 6 Top 10 hits in later years, but it’s a good thing their label didn’t give up on them after their first song. It was called One Kiss Lead to Another & it sputtered out at # 73.

And, I can’t end this without another reference to Elvis. Yes, it was his first year on the charts, but it could be referred to as his Blue Period. He had Top 100 Chart Entries with When my Blue Moon Turns to Gold, Blue Suede Shoes, & Blue Moon. And speaking of Blue Suede Shoes, Elvis’ version would stop at #20, regardless of how much he is associated with the song.

I often read them as well, razor. Actually, I was just thinking how much I'd always enjoyed Lester Bangs' writing. I didn't read much of his RS critiques, but as a young teen I loved his stuff in Creem. A great rock 'n' roll journalist.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Rolling Stone Issue 39

Dated August 9, 1969. Brian Jones on the cover.

Unfortunately Brian is on the cover this time around because they are talking about his untimely drowning. He was 25 at the time & had just departed from the Stones to pursue his own gig. We’ll never know how that would have gone. In tribute to their long time band mate the Stones gave a free concert in Hyde Park & 250,000 were in attendance.

His obituary states that he came from money, got into music at an early age, loved traditional Jazz & basically went broke trying to keep that style of music alive. He moved to London & began attending a club where he met Mick & Keith. They started to play together along with Bass Player Dick Taylor & a host of session drummers. They finally hooked up with Charlie Watts & Bill Wyman & once they got into the studio, Lennon & McCartney were there to help, & The Stones became at that time a reality.

The early band was always being dissed by the press for everything from their music, to their hair to their clothing. If anyone ever stood up for the band it was Brian Jones. He was steadfast in his belief that the band would one day make the critics eat their words. I reckon he was right, even if he wasn’t around to see it happen.

Now that the new Steve Miller Band album is complete, both Steve & his piano player/lyricist Ben Sidran have gotten married.

In Tehran, the government has released 10,000 hash peddlers from prison. They have been warned that if they are arrested again, they will face the firing squad.

Jack Bruce is set to release his first post Cream solo effort called Songs for a Tailor. He is backed on the album by George Harrison among others.

To the best of my fading memory, this issue contains the first submission by Ken Kesey. It is called Unzipping for the Summer Solstice. As you can well imagine, it is a strange story about greeting the Sunrise during the Summer Solstice at Stonehenge & urinating on the stones along with the Security guard that let Ken & a film crew in before the gates were officially opened to tourists.

Crosby, Stills, & Nash have just announced that Neil Young will be brought into the group as a 4th member. They are already in the studio for recording sessions, reportedly having laid down 6 tracks so far. Neil has said that even though he is joing the group, he will still perform as a solo as much as possible & he has even formed a band to back him up, naming them Crazy Horse.

4 years ago Johnny Cash set a brush fire near a wildlife reserve in Ventura County Ca.. It escalated into a fire that burned over 500 acres. The Govt. sued for damages & the case has just now been settled. Cash is to pay $82,000.

There is an article on Doug Kershaw, who in my opinion was one of the finest yet most over looked fiddlers in the rock world. He is in the midst of recording while the author waits to talk to him. Actually, there are a group of horns playing & Doug is underlaying a typewriter into the song. It has been 8 years since his last album, Louisiana Man was released. Even though he is best known for playing Fiddle 1st & Dobro 2nd, he plays 28 different instruments & in his stage shows he isn’t afraid to break out any one of the 28. Doug is from Louisiana, born Cajun, learned Cajun French first & only learned to speak English at the age of 8.

Ads for groups or albums this issue:

Muddy Waters - After the Rain on the Cadet Concept label.

The Doors - The Soft Parade on Elektra

Johnny Rivers - A Touch of Gold

Album Reviews:

Mad River - Paradise Bar & Grill
    Their new album, while not perfect, is far less pretentious, & much more musical than their previous effort. This is probably due in no small part to finding a producer, ex-Youngblood Jerry Corbett, who understands them. All in all, a worth while effort from a band with a great deal of potential. I eagerly await their next one….Edmund O. Ward

Neil Young - Everybody Knows this is No Where
    Neil Young does not have the kind of “good” voice that would bring praise from a high school music teacher. But you only have to listen to Rock & Roll to realize that the best Rock vocals are often gritty or even harsh. While Neil Young is a fine songwriter & an excellent guitarist, his greatest strength is his voice. This is Neil’s second album since the demise of Buffalo Springfield & in several respects it falls short of his previous offering. The most interesting tracks are Running Dry & Cowgirl in the Sand….Bruce Miroff

Jeff Beck - Beck-Ola
    This is a brilliant album, dense in texture, full of physical & nervous energy, equally appealing to both mind & body. In the middle of the last cut, the tape is cut, leaving the listener hanging unmercifully in the groups thrall until the release of the next album….Ben Gerson
    This album by the way still includes band mates Nicky Hopkins, Ron Wood,& Rod Stewart all of whom had already left the band by this time.

Country Joe & the Fish - Here We Are Again
    This is not even good music. In fact, it is an unmitigated disaster. The Fish have augmented their usual instrumentation with horns & some syrupy violins; the result is pure schmaltz. If the Fish want to sound like the Fifth Dimension, they’ll have to get some better Fifth Dimension material & learn how to play it right…..John Morthland

Other albums reviewed:

Johnny Winter - Johnny Winter

Cat Mother & the All Night Newsboys - The Street Giveth & the Street Taketh Away

Larry Fischer - An Evening with Mad Man Larry Fischer

Ronnie Hawkins - Mr. Dynamo

Chuck Berry - Concerto in B Goode

Rolling Stone Issue 40

Dated August 23, 1969. Jerry Garcia on the cover.

There is a 12pg. Expose on the Grateful Dead. But, to be honest, I was never a fan, so I didn’t read it.

James Taylor is signed to Apple Records, the first non Beatle act to do so. The Beatles have just signed Allen Klein as their agent. When they did so, James‘s management was also assigned to Allen. James is more than a little bitter & isn’t above saying so. He feels as the The Beatles have let him down. Evidently his parents were pretty wealthy, his Dad even traveled to The Antarctic on the last expedition with Admiral Byrd. He says he went to fancy prep schools & was interred in an expensive mental hospital. The hospital even had a high school & it was from there that he graduated.

Reports are that the Jimi Hendrix Experience has broken up. Noel Redding will switch from Bass to lead guitar for his new band Fat Mattress. Drummer Mitch Mitchell is also expected to leave & form his own band. Hendrix is scheduled to appear on the Dick Cavett show with The Who & Jefferson Airplane.

Within the last year Eric Burdon has broken away from The Animals, divorced his wife, gone broke, is on the verge of breaking with his record company & has begun to appear with a new group called War. This new band is an eight man ensemble & has only been in existence for a couple of months.

Notes of a few artists signings & goings on:

Doug Kershaw is in NYC recording for Warners.
    Tim Buckley is finishing his first record for Frank Zappa’s Straight Records.
    The Beach Boys have left Capitol (for the second time) & are working on their first album for Brothers Records.
    Randy Newman is working on his second album.
    Arlo Guthries third album is in the final stages of editing. Van Dyke Parks at the helm.

Due to a nationwide shortage of marijuana, (some are calling it a crisis situation) prices have escalated from $10 a lid to $15 & from $130 to $200 a kilo. This has caused people to resort to other means to get high. In related news Timothy Leary has been charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor when a 17 year old girl, high on LSD, drowned in his swimming pool.

For the first time since 1965, Bob Dylan is scheduled to appear in Britian. This time at the Isle of Wight Festival. Also Scheduled to appear The Band, Richie Havens, The Who, Joe Cocker, The Moody Blues & Fat Mattress among others.

Aretha Franklin has been arrested in Detroit for the second time in the last few months. This time for hitting several cars in a parking lot. She was charged with making a disturbance & being un co-operative with the Police. The first arrest was a DUI.

Blind Faith is ready to begin their first US tour. They are reportedly receiving $25,000 per night vs. 65% of the gate.

People in Wallkill NY, have filed injunctions to prevent the upcoming Woodstock festival from appearing in their town. So the promoters have moved once again & have finally settled on Bethel NY (pop. 2,366) & a 600 acre farm owned by local citizen Max Yasgur. So far there have been 60,000 tickets sold at $7 per day, $13 for 2 days, or $18 for all 3.
    In the back of this issue is the first ad for Woodstock. They are calling it An Aquarian Exposition ::3 Days of Peace & Music. The first artist lineup looks like this:
    Fri. Aug. 15th. Joan Baez, Arlo Guthrie, Tim Hardin, Richie Havens, Incredible String Band, Ravi Shankar, & Sweetwater.
    Sat. Aug. 16, Keef Hartley, Canned Heat, Creedence Clearwater, Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, Mountain, Santana & The Who.
    Sun. Aug. 17th. The Band, Jeff Beck Group, Blood Sweat & Tears, Joe Cocker, Crosby Stills & Nash, Jimi Hendrix, Iron Butterfly, The Moody Blues, & Johnny Winter.

Jefferson Airplane & RCA are arguing over the lyrics to 2 of the songs on their upcoming album. Obviously one of those offensive lines come on “We Should Be Together” when the singer sings “up against the wall motherf****. The other example is from Grace Slick’s Eskimo Blue Day, the song uses the word sh** in it. Arguments ensued for over two weeks, but the execs finally gave up & the lyrics will remain as written.

Country Joe & The Fish have made promises to each other to stay together for at least another year. They already have two more albums in the can, ready for release.

Ads for groups or albums this issue:

New York Rock & Roll Ensemble - Faithful Friends on ATCO

Leslie West - Mountain on Windfall Records

Blind Faith - Blind Faith available now on ATCO

The Kinks - The Village Green Preservation Society - Reprise Records

Fairport Convention - Fairport Convention on A&M

Album Reviews:

Elvis Presley - From Elvis in Memphis
    The new album is great & I think as good as anything he has ever done. It it were made of only it‘s weakest elements it would still be a good record. In The Ghetto a hit big enough to substantiate Elvis‘ continued popularity is convincingly sung & phrased with sensitivity, the effect is all enveloping & nothing could better exemplify the absorbing character of Elvis‘ unique & moving style..Peter Guralnick

The Doors - The Soft Parade
    A front page ad in Billboard says it: “Initial orders promises it will attain the instant Gold status of their first 3 albums.” It looks like it will, but not because anyone listened to the record. The Soft Parade is worse than infuriating, it is sad. It’s sad because one of the most moving forces in rock has allowed itself to degenerate. This album is not vital, not very listenable, & is certainly not interesting….Alec Dubro

Three Dog Night - Suitable For Framing
    Thanks to a hit single & a smooth promotional campaign, Three Dog Night is quickly becoming a name group. Judging by their latest album, whatever success this group has achieved is largely undeserved. Mediocrity & lack of imagination characterizes everything these guys do. The band’s claim to fame is that they have 3 lead singers. You’d think that by pure luck alone one of them would turn out to be an interesting vocalist, but such is not the case. They might improve, who knows they might even someday reach the ascetic level of The Grass Roots….Bruce Miroff

Joe Cocker- With a Little Help From My Friends
    Cocker’s first album, a gem, should cause considerable excitement. It’s triumphant all around. And the thought of Cocker’s next album, which will contain new Harrison & McCartney songs is an exceptionally pleasant one….John Mendelsohn

Other albums reviewed:

Otis Redding - Love Man

NRBQ - NRBQ

Junior Wells - Live at the Golden Bear

Steve Cropper - With a Little Help From My Friends

Marvin Gaye - MPG

Canned Heat - Hallelujah

Clifton Chenier - Black Snake Blues

The Doors - The Soft Parade
    A front page ad in Billboard says it: “Initial orders promises it will attain the instant Gold status of their first 3 albums.” It looks like it will, but not because anyone listened to the record. The Soft Parade is worse than infuriating, it is sad. It’s sad because one of the most moving forces in rock has allowed itself to degenerate. This album is not vital, not very listenable, & is certainly not interesting….Alec Dubro
    I know this was one of their least popular albums, but I liked it. I particularly liked the title track and "Touch Me" is one of my favourite Doors songs. I remember buying this album (on cassette tape! ) just for "Touch Me" and listening to it quite often, though I haven't heard anything from it for ages. For me, though, Morrison's lyrics were always the focal point of the Doors music. In high school, when we were allowed to choose poetry for classwork, I used to use Jim Morrison's song lyrics. I also used a Doors song in history class when we had to pick a "political" piece of music (I used their "Universal Soldier"). My teachers were old hippies - my history teacher used to actually hang out at the Haight - and loved it.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3196045;
    I know this was one of their least popular albums, but I liked it. I particularly liked the title track and "Touch Me" is one of my favourite Doors songs. I remember buying this album (on cassette tape! ) just for "Touch Me" and listening to it quite often, though I haven't heard anything from it for ages. For me, though, Morrison's lyrics were always the focal point of the Doors music. In high school, when we were allowed to choose poetry for classwork, I used to use Jim Morrison's song lyrics. I also used a Doors song in history class when we had to pick a "political" piece of music (I used their "Universal Soldier"). My teachers were old hippies - my history teacher used to actually hang out at the Haight - and loved it.
    I liked this album as well. And Touch Me was one of my favorite Robbie Kreiger songs. I also liked Shaman's Blues, Wishful Sinful, & Runnin Blue. I think these reviewers get in the habit of trying to be to clever. I pulled my the old vinyl copy & gave it a spin. For me Vinyl still sounds miles better than any other medium.

MRD

I liked that Doors album as well, mostly for "Touch Me".

Three Dog Night. My much older brother was visiting home and heard me listening to the Patridge Family and the Monkees. He went to his (yes, I think it was a requirement to have one) VW microbus and gave me an 8 track of Three Dog Night and that was my first introduction to "real" music. I think I was about 10. (He also gave me the Soundtrack to Hair which caused my parents to just about have a heart attack) My other brother is the one who made me listen to the Doors and I loved them from that point on.

I probably shouldn't say this, but I do know the measurement equivilant of a "lid". I had much older brothers. Did I mention that?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread