+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Re: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Ok, I’m still finding interesting things about the Charts for 1955. For instance here are some hit songs, see if you can figure out what they have in common.

1) Ain’t That a Shame
    2) At My Front Door
    3) Don’t be Angry
    4) Hearts of Stone
    5) I Hear You Knocking
    6) Ko Ko Mo
    7) Sincerely
    8) A Story Untold
    9) Tweedlee Dee
    10) Two Hearts
    11) Dance With Me Henry

In each case the song was originally sung by a black act & covered by a white act. And in each case the cover version charted higher than the original. 1955, times were certainly different, weren’t they?

1) Fats Domino saw his version top off at #10, while Pat Boone’s went to #1 for 2 weeks.
    2) El Dorados version stalled at # 17, while the spoiler was once again Pat Boone who took the song to #7.
    3) Nappy Brown’s version stalled at #25, The Crew-Cuts on the other hand went to #14.
    4) The Charms got as high as #15, but The Fontane Sister rose to #1 & spent 3 weeks there.
    5) Smiley Lewis originally released the song, but it failed to even crack the Top 100 while Gale Storm rode the song all the way to #2 for her first ever chart hit.
    6) Gene & Eunice were another original that failed to crack the charts, but Perry Como went to #2.
    7) The Moonglows version went only as high as #20 but the McGuire Sisters had the second biggest hit of the year with this song spending 10 weeks at #1.
    8) The Nutmegs were yet another act that saw their version fail to crack the Top 100 but that wouldn’t stop The Crew-Cuts from taking the song to #16.
    9) LaVerne Baker made her chart debut with this song & it would get to # 14 for her but then Georgia Gibbs would take the song all the way to #2.
    10) The Charms, in a broken record sort of way, watched this version fail to hit the Top 100, while that old song stealer Pat Boone’s version would go to #16.
    11) Etta James, stop me if you have heard this before, but the original version did not crack the Top 100 on the Pop Charts, yet Georgia Gibbs would take the song to ##1 for 3 weeks.

Rolling Stone Issue 36

Dated June 28, 1969. Nudie on the cover.

Nudie is the guy (he's in his mid 60's & kinda funny looking) that dresses all the fanciest Country Stars, including Porter Waggoner, Audie Murphy, Jimmie Dean, Roy Rogers, John Wayne & many more. For his efforts he makes in excess of $500,000 per year.

After some issues with the Immigration authorities, John & Yoko were finally granted entry into Canada. They then flew to Montreal where the second bed - in for peace took place.

The PX’S on the Armed Forces bases around the world are reporting that for the first time R&B is more in demand than Country. But, they also report that Herb Alpert outsells The Beatles Yikes!

A man in San Rafael Ca. is supposedly the first person arrested for possession of a new drug that he is calling Angels Dust.

Chubby Checker is back on the stage after a four year layoff & is backed by a group from Boston calling themselves Indigo.

Coleman Hawkins, widely considered to be the first master of the Tenor Sax & a Jazz impresario, has died of pneumonia in NYC at the age of 64.

Moby Grape began their career rather auspiciously in 1967 when their label released 5 simultaneous singles from their first album, only 1 would penetrate the charts (Omaha). They also suffered a rather untimely drug bust around the same time & all was off & running. But, it is done. The Grape is no more.

Peter Cetera
    , bass player & vocalist for Chicago, apparently got into an argument over the length of his hair & was attacked by 3 men at Dodger Stadium. He got the worst of the altercation suffering a jaw broken in 3 places & 4 missing teeth. He underwent 5 hrs. of surgery & spent 7 days in the ICU. The Cubs beat the Dodgers 6 - 0.

Once the stats were compiled, the biggest selling artist in the US for 1968...Glen Campbell. Last year he sold over 4.5 million albums, won 4 Grammy Awards, was the CMA Entertainer of the year, the ACM Male Vocalist of the year, was the top television personality, & even found time to be the honorary chairman of the National Arthritis Foundation. He admits to being happy that he turned down the offer from The Beach Boys to become a permanent member, after filling in for an ailing Brian Wilson during a 6 month tour in 1965.

Ads for groups or albums this issue:

The Velvet Underground including the single What Goes On available on MGM Records

Crosby, Stills & Nash…on Atlantic.

Eli Radish - I Didn’t Raise My Boy to be a Soldier.. On Capitol Records

Tim Buckley - Happy/Sad his 3rd album on Elektra

The Deviants - Instant Garbage…imported from England by Sire Records

Traffic - Last Exit on United Artists.

NRBQ - Their first album is available on Columbia Records Label

Ray Draper - Red Beans & Rice on Epic

Buffy Ste. Marie - Illuminations on Vanguard Records

Townes Van Zandt - Our Mother the Mountain from Poppy Records

Country Joe & The Fish - Here We Are Again also on Vanguard

Album Reviews:

In a weird turn of events, there were no album reviews in this issue…

MRD

I always liked Glen Campbell.

My husband was distantly related to Porter Waggoner. (Waggoner is our last name). I used to tease him that I wish he was more closely related as I wanted one of his suits.
    Never knew who the guy was that made them. Those suits were cool!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

OK, it’s time to move on to the Billboard Top 100 for 1956. Yep, 1956, the year the music world would change forever. 1956, the year the world would be introduced to that young man from Tupelo Ms.. One Elvis Aaron Presley would make his presence known & nothing in the world of Rock & Roll would ever be the same again. Elvis would hit the charts running & for the foreseeable future he would never look back. Not only would he be the top debut artist for the year, but he would also check in as the Top Artist for the year & on top of that he would also go on to become the Top Recording Artist of all time. Not to bad for a truck driver that stumbled into a recording studio to cut a record for his Mother just a short time before this.

Elvis would see 14 of his singles hit the Top 100 during 1956. 5 of them would go all the way to the top of the charts including:

I Want You, I Love You, I Need You
    Love Me Tender
    Heartbreak Hotel…his first ever hit

And in what is certainly unique in the History of Rock
    Don’t Be Cruel & Hound Dog were released as an “A” & “B” side single & the two songs would rotate from week to week at the top spending an incredible 11 weeks in the #1 position. So they come in as the #1 &#1A singles of the year.

During this year there would be exactly 500 songs to spend at least 1 week on the Top 100 charts ( more than twice as many as charted in 1955). As mentioned Elvis held down the top spot, but coming in at #500 with 1 week spent at #100 is You’re Mine by the Dream Weavers.

It wasn’t all Elvis though. Here are the rest of the Top 10 Artists for the Year (rather male dominated I must say).

1) Elvis Presley
    2) Pat Boone
    3) The Platters
    4) Perry Como
    5) Nat King Cole
    6) The Four Lads
    7) Bill Haley & The Comets
    8) Gale Storm
    9) Eddie Fisher
    10) Fats Domino

And here are the Top 10 Artists to make their chart debuts (even more male dominated).

1) Elvis Presley
    2) The Four Seasons
    3) Andy Williams
    4) Roy Orbison
    5) Johnny Cash
    6) Marty Robbins
    7) The Diamonds
    8) The Coasters
    9) Little Richard
    10) Clyde McPhatter

I’m sure I’ll find more stuff later, but that’s all for now.

Rolling Stone Issue 37

Dated July 12, 1969. Elvis in the black leather on the cover.

Elvis is in the process of filming Change of Habit with Mary Tyler Moore, Barbara McNair & Jane Elliott on Stage D at Universal Studios when this interview takes place & according to the author, Elvis’ marriage to Priscilla agrees with him. Elvis, has put on a little extra weight & looks good. Even though there is no tension on the set, it seems as though Elvis speaks to no one but “his” people & keeps changing the lines in the script to suit himself. (Lisa Marie is 1 yr. old). He says he is going to Europe because he keeps promising it. He has never been on a European tour…He would never go!
    The author has this to say about Elvis: “Get through to him & you find a pleasant, honest, not-too-articulate hometown boy who has been protected for his own good from the hysterical periphery of his present world.”

Manfred Mann has broken up, for the second time. But, Manfred & Mike Hugg will continue together in a band they are calling Manfred Mann Chapter Three.

Piano player Nicky Hopkins has quit the Jeff Beck Group & will next be heard playing on the next Steve Miller Band & the new Jefferson Airplane albums that are now in production in San Francisco.

They are reporting that the next Beatles album will be released in about a month & it will be called Let It Be. But, it actually turned out to be Abbey Road. Let It Be was recorded first, but Abbey Road was released first.

Peter Green & Jeremy Spencer are a couple of busy guys. They are working on the next Fleetwood Mac album, Jeremy is also working on a solo album, & the two of them together have announced that they will be doing an “orchestral-choral” album telling the story of Jesus Christ.

After being kicked out of their contract at Elektra, MC5 have recently signed with Atlantic.

Brian Jones has left the Rolling Stones. His guitar duties will be handled by Mick Taylor, formerly with John Mayall. Brian’s taste in music just wasn’t in compliance with what Mick & Keith were putting out, so he left to do his own thing.

Blind Faith have just given their first free “rehearsal” in London’s Hyde Park for an estimated 150,000 people. The London press had differing view points on the show. The Daily Mirror called it “ one of the most remarkable & amiable gatherings of young people ever seen in this country.” The London Evening News missed the point entirely referring to the gig as “the farewell Cream Concert.”

Ralph Nader wants the government to regulate noise levels of Rock music. Saying it is unsafe at the decibels now being heard.

Here is an interesting blurb. The Blind Faith Festival (July 11th) no longer features just Blind Faith. Added to the program: Booker T. & The MG’S, Delaney Bonnie & Friends, & an English group called Free.

According to the Boston drug czar, Boston is on the verge of Haight Ashburyism.

Tommy by The Who is being hailed as the most important milestone in Pop since Beatlemania. Pete Townshend says he couldn’t have written either Fiddle About or Cousin Kevin, because the songs needed to be more brutal than he could have gotten. He was glad to have Keith & John write them.

Ben Fong-Torres weighs in this issue with an article entitled Jefferson Airplane Today. At the moment the group is in Wally Heiders new studio in San Francisco putting the finishing touches on their new album. They are throwing around ideas for the Albums title, so far they are considering Marbles, A Flag for your Window, Paul Kantner has suggested Squat on my Grunt, Spence Dryden thinks it should be called 2400 Fulton in honor of the house he & Kantner live in & where the band gets together for practice, but in the end they would settle on Volunteers. Grace Slick just paid $18,000 cash, much to the surprise of the salesman who didn’t know who she was & was trying to slough her off, for a brand new 1969 Aston Martin. The band is denying all rumors of Grace leaving to go to Elektra as a solo artist. Grace, never one to hold her tongue, told an audience of 50,000 people at a free concert in Chicago, to buy acid with the $5 they would have paid for a ticket.

Rick (no longer Ricky) Nelson has just made a big comeback appearance at the Troubadour in LA. It was the first time ever that he had performed in a night club in his hometown, even after 20 yrs. of stardom. He tells a story about when he was 16 & taking a date home. An Elvis song came on the radio & his date said she thought Elvis was “the smoothest” ever. Rick, flat out lied & told her he was also making a record. Then he had to back it up, so he talked his Dad into letting him record the old Fats Domino song I’m Walkin, (it sold over a million in a week) because it was the only song he knew. And, as they say, The rest is History. At this time Gunnar & Matthew are 18 mos. old, Tracy is 5 yrs.

BB King - Live is Well on ABC Records

Herbie Mann - Memphis Underground on Atlantic Records

The Steve Miller Band - Brave New World on Capitol

It’s A Beautiful Day - on Columbia Records

The Charlatans - The Charlatans announce their arrival on Phillips Records

Merryweather - Merryweather on Capitol

Album Reviews:

The Grateful Dead - Aoxomooxa
    Aoxomooxa is the work of a magical band. The Dead is two bands, the band when Pigpen is singing & the band when he isn’t. He sings in a recognizable musical form, the harshness & seediness of which is not fundamental to the Dead. The music behind him is so tasty that he can almost always be overcome. Pigpen fits because the Dead choose to embody a generosity of spirit that won’t tolerate throwing him out….Adele Novelli

Alice Cooper - Pretties For You
    Alice Cooper is a West Coast Zappa sponsored band. Showing here the influence of The Mothers, here the first wave San Francisco sound, there & almost everywhere The Beatles. But, their overall texture & flow place them closer to a certain rivulet in that deluge of pre packaged groups which can be defined as marginal acid rock. There isn’t any hint of life, spontaneity, joy, rage, or any kind of authentic passion or conviction. As such, Alice Cooper’s music is, for this reviewer at any rate, totally disposable. …Lester Bangs

The Youngbloods - Elephant Mountain
    This is one of the most encouraging albums I have heard in months. Everything here bears the stamp of three forceful & original personalities setting the record leagues ahead of the pseudo - rock clotting the grooves today. This is an album you’ll come back to again & again. May they have a long life together….Lester Bangs

Other albums reviewed:

John Littlejohn’s - Chicago Blues Stars

Herbie Mann - Memphis Underground

Freddie Hubbard - A Soul Experiment

Howard Tate - Howard Tate

You are still in time to get a copy of Tommy with a two year subscription.

MRD

Peter Green & Jeremy Spencer are a couple of busy guys. They are working on the next Fleetwood Mac album, Jeremy is also working on a solo album, & the two of them together have announced that they will be doing an “orchestral-choral” album telling the story of Jesus Christ.
    Did this become Jesus Christ Superstar? I thought old whats his name, broadway mainstay did that one. Andrew Lloyd Webber, that's his name

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3165567;
    Did this become Jesus Christ Superstar? I thought old whats his name, broadway mainstay did that one. Andrew Lloyd Webber, that's his name
    Weber & Tim Rice did Jesus Christ Superstar. I'm not sure anything ever came of this other thing or if it was just something they planned but never followed through on.

Here are a few factoids about the 1956 Billboard Charts I have been able to pick out.

As I said before Elvis would have 14 singles hit the Top 100 & 5 of those would go to #1. The weird thing is that if the song didn’t get #1, it didn’t get Top 10 either. His next best chart position would be #19 with 2 songs, I Was the One & When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold Again. Blue Suede Shoes would peak at #20 for him but Carl Perkins original version got to #2.

With the emergence of so many new rock acts, something had to give. So, 1956 would be the last time that Bing Crosby would have a chart hit & that would be a duet of True Love with Grace Kelly (with the exception of White Christmas which charted every year from 1955- 1962)

The song with the original title Theme From the Threepenny Opera, or as it would come to be known, Mack the Knife, had 6 different artists chart the song: The Dick Hyman Trio, Richard Hayman, Louis Armstrong, Billy Vaughn, Les Paul, & Lawrence Welk. But it would be 1959 before the definitive version by Boddy Darin really sent the song into the stratosphere when it was the #1 song of the year. Then Ella Fitzgerald would get into the act in 1960.

1956 was a big year for Instrumental hits.
    The Poor People of Paris had 4 different versions: Les Baxter, Lawrence Welk, Russ Morgan, & Chet Atkins.

Lisbon Antigua had 2 with Nelson Riddle & Mitch Miller both doing the song.

Moonglow, The Theme from the Movie Picnic had 4: Morris Stoloff, George Cates, McGuire Sisters, & Ralph Marterie would all make the song a hit.

The Academy Award for Best Song went to Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Srea Sera) by Doris Day from the movie The Man Who Knew Too Much. The Grammy’s wouldn’t come around until 1958.

Rolling Stone Issue 38

Dated July 26, 1969. Jim Morrison on the cover.

There is a hugely long interview with Morrison. Some of the highlights:
    The Doors haven’t played live in 3 months & the next show will be in a bullring in Mexico Cityfollowed by a USO Benefit gig also in Mexico City.
    He began writing poetry n the 5th or 6th grade.
    He doesn’t listen to their songs much at all.
    He is asked” How do you see yourself, Poet? Rock Star?” To which he answers, “I guess I see myself as a conscious artist plugging away from day to day, assimilating information.,”
    He says he prefers live performance songs because once they get recorded they become ritualized & static.
    He speaks about The End & how the song means something different to him every time he hears it. He says he just doesn’t really know what he was trying to say when he wrote it.

Violence & as much as $50,000 in damages has marred what otherwise would have been a great Newport Jazz Festival. Attended by as many as 150,000, it is the biggest music fest to date. Folks living around the grounds have complained about attendees using their swimming pools uninvited & camping in their flower beds unwanted. Garbage is strewn for blocks around. Traffic has been snarled in every direction. Acts that played included Hendrix, Joplin, Poco, Jethro Tull, Creedence, Spirit, Steppenwolf, The Chambers Brothers, Taj Mahal, & The Byrds among many others..

Bikers battling gate crashers & police officer wielding mace & clubs have also ruined the Denver Pop Festival that was held in Mile High Stadium. During his set Frank Zappa dedicated a song to the officers called Browning Out, at the same time he announced to the crowd that “the police are here to protect you from you.”

Easy Rider has made it’s debut to great critical acclaim at the Cannes Film Festival.

Evidently the news of the demise of Moby Grape was a bit premature. The band now has a new manager, a new album ready for release called Truly Fine Citizen & are looking for a new bass player.

The other shoe has finally dropped on the Hendrix bust in Toronto a couple of months back & he is now formally being charged with possession of hashish & heroin.

Almost 50% of the Top 40 AM stations have banned the single The Ballad of John & Yoko claiming it to be profane due to the lyrics that go: “Christ you know it ain’t easy, you know how hard it can be. The way things are going their going to crucify me.“ Meanwhile John is planning for a July 4th release of a song by The Plastic Ono Band called Give Peace a Chance.

There are still multiple listings for upcoming musical festivals for the remainder of the year & now for the first time they say that on Aug. 16th & 17th there will be 12 hrs. of music per day in a place known as Woodstock NY. The event is to be held on 500 acres of land & is being billed as “An Aquarian Exposition.”

The Grateful Dead had a verbal agreement with Paul Curcio, owner of Pacific Recording in San Mateo Ca. where he would give them 20% off the studio fees if they would credit the studio on their latest album Aoxomoxoa, if they would, in turn, credit the studio on the album jacket. He did, they didn’t, so he is suing the band for $120,750. The band denies any such agreement existed.

Bert Sommer - The Road to Travel on Capitol

Tom Paxton - The Things I Notice Now on Elektra

Bugsy Maugh - Inside Bugsy is available on Dot Records

Three Dog Night - Suitable for Framing on Dunhill

Led Zepplin - II

Jerry Jeff Walker - Five Years Gone

Johnny Cash - At San Quentin on Columbia Records

Album Reviews:

Crosby Stills & Nash
    The combination of talents produces a new sound…it’s a happy sound. One feels the album was a labor of love to record. Confidence seems to pervade the trio & their music. This new free form is not to be found within the scope of their previous associations & it works well. They are in complete control of all they do, & the result is especially satisfying work…..Barry Franklin

It’s a Beautiful Day
    Once you get past the cover, the album is all dreck. It epitomizes a major trend in rock today which people are obviously eating up. Otherwise, there wouldn’t be so many muzak records like this one. Mood music can never be serious & that is what we have here; bland lushness & saccharine sentimentality. Notable individual tracks…Bulgaria..”When you’re in a dream/ The time passes slowly.” It certainly does, I could hardly stand to sit through this piece of sh@*. In conclusion I hate this album, I hate it not only because I wasted my money on it, but for what it represents; an utterly phony, arty approach to music that we will not soon escape…Lester Bangs.

Steve Miller Band - Brave New World
    If you were looking for some new music from the new Steve Miller Band- organist Jim Peterman & guitarist Boz Scaggs have left, you’ll probably be a bit disappointed in this album. Which is not to say it isn’t good, only that in spite of the personnel changes, it is more of the same. The best cuts are Kow Kow Calqulator & Space Cowboy. The main problem here is trying to reconcile the trio of the present with the quartet of the past. When this is solved look for great things from the Steve Miller Band…John Morthland

Other albums reviewed:

Bonzo Dog Band - Urban Spaceman

Johnny Cash at San Quentin

Kaleidoscope - Kaleidoscope

Little Richard - Greatest Hits

Captain Beef heart - Trout Mask Replica

Sly & the Family Stone - Stand

For a limited time only Rolling Stone is going to help you build a library. With a subscription to the magazine they will send you the following paperback books:
    The Jefferson Airplane & the San Francisco Sound by Ralph J. Gleason
    Bob Dylan Don’t Look Back by D.A. Pennebaker
    The Essential Lenny Bruce
    The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge. By Carlos Castenada.

MRD

I always liked It's a Beautiful Day. White Bird is great.

Well its so interesting how times have changed as I hear the Ballad of John and Yoko played on the radio station I listen to a few times a month. (and I live in the Buckle of the Bible belt)

+ Reply to Thread