+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

MRD

Re: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3028811;
    One of the very weirdest concert pairings I ever saw was Charlie Daniels opening for Eric Clapton. This was during Clapton's Hello Old Friend tour & both guys were great & put on a fine show, but it was just a jarring contrast in styles.

I can say that I wasn't a big big fan of the first LZ album, but I probably wouldn't have been quite that harsh. I guess every band has to learn what their style is going to be & get better or die. LZ definitely didn't die.

I remember watching the LA Thunderbirds with "Little Ralphie Valadares" on KTLA channel 5 & for those of you that grew up in that era in that area you'll remember listening to "Woe Nelly Dick Lane" do the announcing. He also did wrestling for LA.

I'll definitely keep the updates coming as time allows, but this will be the last one for at least a couple of weeks, as I'm off to Nashville for CMA Music Fest all next week.

Rock on ya'll

PS: Did anyone else ever see or hear anything about that "new group" with Olivia Newton John? It was the first I ever heard of it.
    That was interesting about ONJ, it was several YEARS later, she finally burst on the American scene wasn't it?

Enjoy your trip sounds like a lot of fun.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3028811;
    PS: Did anyone else ever see or hear anything about that "new group" with Olivia Newton John? It was the first I ever heard of it.
    I remember reading an article in "16" Magazine way back when about a new group whose lead singer was ONJ. Don't remember the name of the group, nor do I actually remember ever hearing them on the radio or anything. I remember reading that ONJ loved wearing mini-skirts - sometimes 12 (I think it was 12) inches above the knee... and I remember measuring that on my own leg and thinking ! That's short!

Rolling Stone Issue 30

Dated April 5, 1969. The American Revolution on the cover. It is a photo of a cop with a billy club beating a girl.

As the cover indicates, the thrust of this issue is all about the new American Revolution. This is the first & most overt foray into the political arena RS has taken. It is a series of 6 separate articles or editorials & lasts 19 pages.

The first article written by Michael Rossman is called “The Sound of Marching Charging Feet.“
    He is an old college buddy of Jann Wenner. His thrust is to tell the story of what is going on across college campuses. His main tagline..” Schools everywhere are alive with growth & tense with dread. The American Campus is at the violent Intersection of the old & the new.” This is the beginning phases of Students for a Democratic Society (SDS). Different protests are going on across the country: against on campus Marine recruitment (Oberlin College in Ohio), against on campus biological & chemical research in support of Viet Nam (Penn State), against the racist institution (Brandeis University in Waltham Mass.)

Check out this statement & notice how the more things change the more they stay the same…” The cities are quickly becoming unlivable, the air is choked with pollutants, the sea is befouled. Foreign liberation movements are threatening Americas economic interests. A war whose frustrations will continue if it ever ends has lead to political earthquakes. The economy sways dizzily & hiccoughs.”

Next is an article called It Can Happen Here written by Conrad Williams.
    Ronald Reagan won the Governorship of California in large part because of his stand to denounce the student unrest at Berkeley. He adopted the phrase “Obey the rules or get out.” This phrase is now on a bronze plaque hanging on the wall of his office. Reagan seemed to learn that the folks back home are pissed about campus radicalism & ran his campaign against it. 83% of the population according to the polls agree with Reagan & against the students. More than 70 bills have now been submitted to quell the violence & demonstrations & charge the demonstrators with harsh penalties.

The page 1 article in this issue has a big photo of Jim Morrison with the caption “Wanted In the County of Dade For Lewd & lascivious behavior in public by exposing his private parts & by simulating masturbation & oral copulation, A Felony.”
    This is all in reference to a March 2 concert in Miami & there are 6 arrest warrants out for him, the one mentioned above, 2 counts of indecent exposure, 2 counts of public profanity, & 1 count of public drunkenness. They are calling him The King of Orgasmic Rock & he’s looking at 150 days in prison if convicted of all crimes.

There is a rhythm guitar player on Cream’s song Badge that is billed on the album as L’Angelo Misterioso. Who is this person is the question that has been asked repeatedly? It can now be answered. It is George Harrison.

The Monkees are back in the studio, but they are without Peter Tork who has left the group.

There is a head shop in Minneapolis called Electric Fetus. They recently had a poster in the window that showed a man & woman nude. The poster has been confiscated as being offensive. The man & woman on the poster just happened to be Dick Nixon & his wife.

Ringo & Peter Sellers are now filming The Magic Christian.

Interesting blurb about the duo Sam & Dave. It seems as though they continue to perform & work together, but other than that they never even speak to each other. They just don’t like one another.

It is being rumored that Elvis will make his first public appearance in 8 years this upcoming July in Las Vegas. The money being speculated on is “astronomical.”

The first album by Crosby, Stills, & Nash is complete & scheduled for release later in the month by Atlantic Records. Interestingly enough, this article is based on a conversation with Steven Stills & they go into each & every track on the album. But, they got it wrong. They talked about Déjà Vu, which never made this album but never mentioned Long Time Gone which did.

According to guitarist & lead singer Steve Marriot, the Small Faces have broken up to pursue their own gigs. Marriott would eventually join Peter Frampton to form Humble Pie. Ian McLagen, Ronnie Lane & Kenny Jones would join with Rod Stewart & Ron Wood to form Faces. And as the worm turned, eventually Rod Stewart would go on to superstardom on his own, Ron Wood would join the Rolling Stones replacing Mick Taylor & Kenny Jones would replace Keith Moon in The Who. Steve Marriott would die in a fire in 1991 & Ronnie Lane died of Multiple Sclerosis in 1997.

In 1958 there were 3,13 year old kids that formed a band called The Blue Velvets, the 4th member wouldn‘t join until 1965. They struggled along together for a few years until they decided in 1963 to change their name to The Golliwogs, thinking this would help them out. It didn’t, they were still going nowhere. Then in 1967 they once again changed their name to Creedence Clearwater Revival & once their third single was released, a song called Proud Mary, the band was finally on their way. The last member to join was Tom Forgarty.

The Band is in the studio recording their second album & at the same time preparing to hit the road for their first tour.

Things are going well for Blood Sweat & Tears. Their first album has been Grammy Nominated. They plan on releasing either 3 or 4 singles from the second album & they are now in the studio getting the third album together.

Evidently the Mama’s & Papa’s are going back into the studio without Cass Elliott. Meanwhile Cass is in London preparing for a TV show appearance with Tom Jones.

Album Reviews:

Neil Young - Neil Young
    One could very easily view this album as an extension of Neil’s work with Buffalo Springfield. Especially vivid is his sense of melancholy & the ingenious cluster of images he employs in his lyrics. The album is called “a delightful reprise of that Springfield sound done a new way.”

Goodbye - Cream
    This is the last album by Cream….“Goodbye is not a very worthwhile album. Critics will probably tear it apart, while even bona fide Cream Freaks will have to be a little disappointed. It’s like the once famous tycoon that dies an anonymous pauper, it’s just not a good way to go out.” A double tracked vocal helps out Clapton on Bridge, while some guy named L’Angelo Misterioso (see above for the true identity of this person) adds rhythm guitar. Listen to the record, hang the poster on the wall & shed a quiet tear. Not for Eric, Jack, or Ginger, but for Cream.

Ads for groups or albums this issue:

Van Morrison… Astral Weeks

Vanilla Fudge … Near The Beginning.

This Was…Jethro Tull

The Thorn in Mrs. Roses Side by Biff Rose….keep an ear out for Biff Rose…

Free…..are on the way.

Linda Rondstadt… Hand Sewn Home Grown

Steppenwolf…At Your Birthday Party

The Ohio Players…Observations In Time

The Nice…Ars Longa Vita Brevis

Quicksilver Messenger Service…Happy Trails

Subscriptions prices have gone up to $6.50, but if you get in now, you’ll also receive the new album River Deep Mountain High, by Ike & Tina Turner

..” Schools everywhere are alive with growth & tense with dread. The American Campus is at the violent Intersection of the old & the new.” This is the beginning phases of Students for a Democratic Society (SDS). Different protests are going on across the country: against on campus Marine recruitment (Oberlin College in Ohio), against on campus biological & chemical research in support of Viet Nam (Penn State), against the racist institution (Brandeis University in Waltham Mass.)
    This subject (of student activism in the '60's and early '70's) has always fascinated me. I think I was born in the wrong era.
    I saw a movie about Kent State when I was very young, and I literally cried for hours afterwards because I was so moved by the students' dedication to the cause. So very few young people seem to care that much about important issues today.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3052283;
    This subject (of student activism in the '60's and early '70's) has always fascinated me. I think I was born in the wrong era.
    I saw a movie about Kent State when I was very young, and I literally cried for hours afterwards because I was so moved by the students' dedication to the cause. So very few young people seem to care that much about important issues today.
    I've always felt the same way.

My brother graduated from high school in 1966, so I've asked him about that time period and he says it was a very special time. So much was going on, so much was changing and that the college campus and people that age were the major part of the change and how exciting it was to finally have a collective voice where for so long, it had always been their parents and the mainstream establishment that had the voice for so long.

I asked him if he saw this particular presidential campaign as anything like the one in 1968 and he said no. He said that what happened with Obama appealing to the young voters was great, but that it was NOTHING like what was going on in 1968.

He also said that the draft and Vietnam were the largest reason for demonstrations and that he's sorrry now that there aren't more demonstrations against Iraq. He and I both felt that if there was a draft in place now, that there would be more demonstrations and more similarities to the 1968 election.

Thanks again Razorbacker for continuing to do this. I love reading them.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Rolling Stone Issue 31

Dated April 19, 1969. Sun Ra on the cover.

Cass Elliot has reportedly lost 120 pounds at a cost of $250,000. She now weighs in at 164, headed to 109. Her diet has caused her multiple illnesses & cancelled concert dates.

Jeff Beck is still hiring & firing band members & has now cancelled the final 13 dates of his current US tour & split for the UK to regroup.

RS is declaring war on the most awful & evil drugs to ever hit the planet…methamphetamine.

The first CS&N album hasn’t even hit the streets yet, but it is already being reported that they will soon record a 2nd album & then follow up with a solo album by each guy.

The Johnny Cash show is scheduled to premiere on ABC June 7th with Bob Dylan as the first guest.

Atlantic Records has signed Cher, without Sonny. But, he is scheduled to produce her first record.

30,000 people, teens & adults have shown up at a rally for decency in Miami. This is in the wake of the Jim Morrison, did he or didn’t he pull out his winkie on stage in Miami, incident. Seems like folks have had enough. Performers at the rally included Jackie Gleason, Kate Smith, Anita Bryant, The Lettermen & the Miami Drum & Bugle Corp. Future Doors concerts have been cancelled in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Dallas, Cincinnati, & Cleveland, & the band is not even going to record anything new for quite sometime.

The Smothers Brothers Show has been censored by CBS & pulled from it’s normal night of airing mainly due to comments made by Joan Baez. Prior to her performance she made the following comment “ There are plenty of people who object to the draft, but if you open your mouth about it, they arrest you, my husband opened his mouth & he got busted.” Then she dedicated a performance of Green Green Grass of Home to him. The network brass took great offense & pulled the plug on the show.

Over in London, George Harrison’s house was raided & he was arrested for possession of marijuana. This happened on the same day as the wedding of Paul to Linda Eastman. The interesting thing is that the search warrant was actually applied for months before, but the police waited for this particular day for the biggest press bang as the bust kept Paul‘s wedding off the front page of the papers.

Plans are underway to bulldoze the Fillmore West & build a Howard Johnsons Hotel. Bill Graham isn’t happy.

British Press are hailing Jethro Tull as the successor to Cream & as the most unusual group on the British Scene. The record label calls them a jazz group that often appears as old men with shaggy hair & beards powdered with white lines of makeup on their faces. Ian Anderson calls all the above “ not a silly milly particle less than absolute BS.” By the way the real Jethro Tull was an 18th century musician who among other things invented the seed drill (whatever that is).

Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs are breaking up after 25 yrs. Together.

Album Reviews:

James Taylor - James Taylor
    He writes & sings songs that are reflections of his own life. All of his performances are marked with an eloquent simplicity. He is not kicking out the jams, he seems to be more interested in soothing his troubled mind. In the process he will doubtless soothe a good many heads besides his own. This album is the coolest breath of fresh air I’ve inhaled in a long time. It knocks me out…Jon Landau

The Progressive Blues Experiment - Johnny Winter
    Johnny has just been signed to Columbia Records by Clive Davis, but this album of early recordings was purchased by Imperial Records for $25,000 from a tiny Texas record company & they have beat Columbia to market. Johnny does his best despite a back up band that isn’t good in any respect. As an electric guitarist he is explosive, fluid, percussive & driving. It’s a strange recording, but what you do get here is some raw & convincing blues playing & singing in the face of seemingly insurmountable handicaps… John Burks

20/20 - The Beach Boys
    The Beach Boys are one of the stranger phenomena of Rock. In 1963 they were responsible for some of the best rock by whites before the Beatles. They created a style, now dated, more sociologically than musically. The style has altered (improved even) though not as much as the music itself. This is a good album, flawed mainly by a lack of direction, more a collection than a whole….Arthur Schmidt

Ads for groups or albums this issue:

The Ainsley Dunbar Retaliation is available on Blue Thumb Records.

The first album by Three Dog Night is being advertised with the following tag line…“If you can’t join em, beat em…& you can’t beat them.”

Uncle Meat - Frank Zappa (most of the music from the movie of the same name which we haven’t got enough money to finish yet).

The Flying Burrito Brothers are on A&M Records.

The Zombies - Odessey & Oracle…(The Zombies are an outtasight group stuck with an unfortunate name).

Savoy Brown - Blue Matter & Getting to the Point (Blues done the Brown way).

RS is declaring war on the most awful & evil drugs to ever hit the planet…methamphetamine.
    How incredibly sad that is in the wake of all the problems with meth nowadays.

Jeff Beck is still hiring & firing band members & has now cancelled the final 13 dates of his current US tour & split for the UK to regroup.
    I vaguely recall reading that Beck had/has a monumental ego...wonder if that was what kept him from achieving the superstar status that Clapton & Page enjoyed? I mean, does anyone really know his music? Except for true devotees of guitar heroes, that is.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Dated April 19, 1969. Sun Ra on the cover.
    Yeah! Free jazz from Saturn!

AJane, I think you're right about Jeff Beck's ego getting in the way of his success. That, and, from my understanding, whereas Clapton and Page went from the Yardbirds to other super-rock-mega-groups, Beck went into more cultish, jazzy types of stuff, and then proceeded to jump around from genre to genre until he had alienated everyone who initially cared.

All that said, "Heart Full of Soul" is awesome, and I kind of like that he purposefully played badly on "Love is Blue" because he didn't like the song.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna;3077466;
    AJane, I think you're right about Jeff Beck's ego getting in the way of his success. That, and, from my understanding, whereas Clapton and Page went from the Yardbirds to other super-rock-mega-groups, Beck went into more cultish, jazzy types of stuff, and then proceeded to jump around from genre to genre until he had alienated everyone who initially cared.
    I have to say that the most tediously mind-numbing concert I ever saw was Jeff Beck with Jan Hammer. Opening act: REO Speedwagon *shudder*.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

It was pretty apparent to Jeff Beck that what you guys are saying about him is true,as he said in this interview:

"My problem is that I'm not very professional," stated Beck in Rolling Stone. "I get bored very quickly, then I get irritable." In the fall of 1969 Beck suffered a fractured skull in an auto accident and was out of commission for the next eighteen months.

By the way, as serendipity would have it, yesterday June 24th, was his 64th birthday.

+ Reply to Thread