+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Worse Than The Original

Re: Worse Than The Original

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;3174061;
    In Carrie's defense, she probably never heard the original. Obviously, Faith Hill had. And should be ashamed.
    well...even people my age have heard the original of " piece of my heart " thats a song most everyone knows lol

I didnt hear Carries version so I cant judge, but I will agree that mileys version of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun..just not good.

My Prerogative: britney spears
    really? thats a remake? wow....Id never heard the original..dont like her version of the song though
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3174331;
    well...even people my age have heard the original of " piece of my heart " thats a song most everyone knows lol

I didnt hear Carries version so I cant judge, but I will agree that mileys version of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun..just not good.

really? thats a remake? wow....Id never heard the original..dont like her version of the song though
    Even Joplins version of Piece of my Heart was a cover of the original that had come out about 6 months before.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3174064;
    And obviously that alll knowing name dropping Randy Jackson had never heard Faiths version. When he was asked about Carrie singing Faiths version he had a deer in the headlights look on his face. Seacrest blindsided him, it was great.
    Yeah. It was classic - one of my favorite Idol moments!

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3174331;
    Not completely sure if this is serious or snark.

Assuming it is serious, if you are interested you can hear the original by going to imeem.com and searching for "bobby brown my prerogative". It was a pretty big R&B/HipHop hit in the early 90s and it really is a much better song than the Britney Spears version.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

I loved "Boys of Summer" by Don Henley.
    Don't much care for the remake by Ataris.

I can't believe how MANY remakes are out there right now!

And a slight twist to the question... one of my FAVORITE remakes is "I'm a believer" - remade by Smashmouth.

I had forgotten all about it until I just heard it on XM 60's, but add to the list of worst...Stevie Wonders version of Bob Dylans Blowin in the Wind.

I was glad to see Destiny's Child's "Emotion" and Madonna's "American Pie" in the first post.
    Re: Piece of My Heart - I remember an interview on TV in which Faith Hill stated she had never heard Janis Joplin's version. When she found out about it, she specifically did not want to hear it until after she recorded her version, so as not to be influenced. I remember thinking how can anyone not have heard that song?

OK, I'm a little peeved that Kid Rock has abandoned his metal-rap beginnings (oh, how I long for the days of "Bawitdaba") but what the hell is this mess, "All Summer Long"? I know it's not technically a cover of "Werewolves of London" - more like a complete ripoff - but holy crap, if you're an artist, is it too much to ask to actually write some music to go along with the lyrics? It's the piano riff played over and over again, with the Skynyrd guitar riff tossed in a couple of times for good measure. Warren Zevon must be rolling in his grave.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

The worst one I can think of is Pearl Jam's version of that song about a car accident.."Oh where Oh where can my BA-AABY be?" Oh, wow, how awful.

Right now I'm with AJane, and am really hating the Sweet Home Alabama/Werewolves of London melody rip off that Kid Rock has on the radio right now. It's not really a remake, but it has ruined that melody for me.

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3187747;
    The worst one I can think of is Pearl Jam's version of that song about a car accident.."Oh where Oh where can my BA-AABY be?" Oh, wow, how awful.
    That song is called Last Kiss. I actually kinda like it...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast