+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Better than the original

Better than the original

Are there any remakes that you think are superior to the original version?

I was having a discussion with my husband last night and we decided for us,
    there weren't many.
    The only one that really stuck out for me was the Roxy Music remake of Jealous Guy.
    It's sacrilegious for a Liverpudlian to criticise a Beatle, but I've always preferred the Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music version.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Re: Better than the original

Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah (Better than Leonard's, better than Rufus'.)

The Sundays version of Wild Horses

Jimi Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower (Didn't realize it was a cover until I heard the original and said to myself "who the hell is screwing up the Hendrix tune?")

Crash Vegas' version of Down to the Wire
    Linda Rondstadt's version of Love is a Rose
    (Ordinarily I don't take kindly to covers of Neil Young songs because I love his voice above all others, but these two both benefit from a bit more of a melodic treatment).

Michael Buble's version of Moondance (I know things will be thrown at me for this opinion, but I like it better than Van's - so sue me)

Ween's version of All of my Love
    Last edited by Rattus; 10-02-2007 at 04:33 PM.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I like Frente's version of Bizarre Love Triangle better than New Order's.
    Ray Lamontagne's version of Crazy better than Gnarls Barkley's.
    7 Seconds' version of 99 Red Balloons better than Nena's.

And this is the one people will throw things at me for, but I prefer Stevie Ray Vaughn's version of Voodoo Chile to Jimi Hendrix's.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Jimi Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower (Didn't realize it was a cover until I heard the original and said to myself "who the hell is screwing up the Hendrix tune?")
    Well, that would be Bob Dylan, right?

To be honest, several Bruce Springsteen songs have been redone "better" than him. His main strength is as a writer. He can be enjoyable on stage, but its rarely sweet sounding.

Add to that list, Leonard Cohen. Virtually all of his songs have been redone better. "Hallelujah" being a prime example, because about a half dozen people have done that one better.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Several that popped into my mind:

I like Elvis' version of "My Way" over Frank Sinatra's
    I like Van Halen's version of "You Really Got Me" over the Kinks (and Sanjaya!)
    I like Garth Brooks version of "To make you feel my love" over Bob Dylan's
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I love the covers of Roxy Music and the Sundays.

I like "Simple Man" by Shinedown over the original by Lynyrd Skynyrd.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

The Byrds' version of Mr. Tambourine Man is much better than Bob Dylan's version. In fact Bob Dylan is too whiny for my taste and most of his songs are better in their cover versions.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;2596962;
    The Byrds' version of Mr. Tambourine Man is much better than Bob Dylan's version. In fact Bob Dylan is too whiny for my taste and most of his songs are better in their cover versions.
    I agree.....I enjoy Eric Clapton's and Guns N' Roses' versions of Knockin' on Heaven's door so much better than Dylan's.

I have to agree re Bob Dylan.
    The man can write great songs, I'd just prefer that he get someone else to sing them.

I'd get shunned if I said this in my home town, but I prefer the Paul Young version of Love Will Tear Us Apart to the Joy Division original too.

Otis Redding's version of Try A Little Tenderness wipes the floor with all that came before or after, imo.
    "That's Numberwang!"

LG.

ooooh, Paul Young - Fluff I had such a crush on him in the 80s. Yes, I'll listen to Paul Young sing the phone directory.

As for remakes better / much more famous than the originals, Tina Turner's Proud Mary was originally a Creedence Clearwater Revival song (written by John Fogarty, at least in part). They (CCR) has a recorded version (on my dad's Best of CCR 8 Tracks - not new) that makes you wonder how on earth a man wrote a song that was obviously meant to be sung by Tina Turner.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast