+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Better than the original

Re: Better than the original

I agree on Dylan... I mean I LOVE Dylan and have seem in in concert many times... But I prefer almost any remake to the original.

Santana's version of Black Magic Woman way over the original Fleetwood Mac version...

Whitney Houston's version of I will always Love you leaps and bounds over Dolly Parton's original...

Beatle's Versions of Rollover Beethoven, Long Tall Sally... To name a couple in that era...

Because the night is another... I prefer the female versions over the original Springsteen, Patti Smith is much better, but I LOVE the 10,000 Maniacs Unplugged version...
    Last edited by Brodie; 10-13-2007 at 11:08 AM. Reason: adding...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

I just heard a version of the old CSN song Wooden Ships done by Jefferson Airplane. It was just as good if not better. I love XM radio for bringing all this stuff to my attention.

XM 16 just played Big & Rich at the Grand Ol Opry doing a Western Swing version of Save a Horse. It was absolutely hilarious & Opry appropriate.

Excellent topic, Fluff. I'm really taken with Bryan Ferry's version of "Jealous Guy," too.

I can't remember if I've talked about this one before, but Nick Cave did a cover of "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" that's just wonderful. I won't be so bold as to say it's better than Glen Campbell's (or Jimmy Webb's, I guess), but I really dig it.

I'm going to have to cross my arms and respectfully disagree about Leonard Cohen covers. The arrangements are often more modern and appealing in the covers, but Leonard's vocals are really charming, especially in the earlier recordings. Oh, and speaking of Cohen and covers, this is just beautiful.

I really like the Social-D version of "Ring of Fire." I mean, I love the Johnny Cash version too, but it's so peppy and upbeat that it's like a different song altogether.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;2626969;
    I really like the Social-D version of "Ring of Fire." I mean, I love the Johnny Cash version too, but it's so peppy and upbeat that it's like a different song altogether.
    Ooooh, I love that one too. The first time I ever heard it was actually at their show a few years ago. It got me so enthused, I had to risk the evil eye of a thousand punks while I, the wildly over-voluptuous, middle-aged cubicle drone, and Mr. Rattus, the 50 year old drumming truck-driver, did an insanely lively, high-stepping waltz in the balcony. One of my favourite shows ever.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Totally a matter of taste, but I prefer Love & Rocket's version of Ball of Confusion over the temptations.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I think The Beatles topped Chuck Berry on Roll Over Beethoven, but ELO blew them all out of the water.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123