+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Luciano Pavarotti Dies

MRD

Re: Luciano Pavarotti Dies

I was shocked last night when I heard this.

Loved the man. Not a big fan of opera, but was of him. He will be missed.
    RIP Pavarotti. You are singing with the angels now.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

My office mate and I were listening on Monday to performances of his-I'm not the biggest fan of opera, but I guess his voice made it more accessible (if that's the word I'm looking for). My oldest sang through college and always wished he'd be half as good.

My Dad also died of Pancreatic Cancer last October, so this really hits home for me. It's such a horrible cancer to have. Often by the time you are diagnosed it has gone too far. The survival rates are something like 5% who make it to 5 years. My Dad lived 24 months and fought the fight of his life. Rest in peace, Pavarotti. My heart goes out to his family and friends, as I know it is so sad, and so bewildering and so tragic to lose someone you love dearly.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;2574120;
    My Dad also died of Pancreatic Cancer last October, so this really hits home for me. It's such a horrible cancer to have. Often by the time you are diagnosed it has gone too far. The survival rates are something like 5% who make it to 5 years. My Dad lived 24 months and fought the fight of his life. Rest in peace, Pavarotti. My heart goes out to his family and friends, as I know it is so sad, and so bewildering and so tragic to lose someone you love dearly.
    I completely sympathize with you sweetpea....my dad was 52 years old when he died of pancreatic cancer almost 11 years ago. He was diagnosed Dec. 27th and died Feb. 24th.....very short....very painful....very traumatic for our family......to see him go from completely healthy to basically overnight becoming sick and dying was a difficult thing to handle.

He had started hurting right before Christmas and made an appointment for some tests to be run afterwards...he went in and we thought it would be a problem with his ulcers..he had had problems with ulcers off and on for awhile..doctor comes out and tells us he has pancreatic cancer and doesn't have long to live...I will never forget the feeling of the air literally feeling like its been knocked out of me or the sounds of my mom sobbing hysterically or looking over at my big strong brother and seeing him fall apart right before my very eyes....it was a terrible terrible moment that, to this day, I don't know that we've all recovered from....
    Last edited by bbnbama; 09-16-2007 at 10:06 AM.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Wow, bbnbama I really understand your experience. My Dad had had NO pain or problems at all until one August when he began having some tummy trouble and then started turning yellow with jaundice. We thought maybe hepatitis until he came back and they did an ERCP scope. My sister was with him when the dr. came back and said pancreatic cancer. I will never forget that phone call either, or the shock and numbness we all felt afterwards as a family. They tried the whipple procedure and after 4 hours I was pretty confident they were able to remove the tumor but it turned out it was wrapped around the portal vein to such a degree the surgeon felt he could endanger Dad's life on the table by trying to remove it. Telling him after he woke up (never had had an operation in his life!) that the tumor was still there and basically he was on "pallitive care" (STUPID nurse!!!) was the most horrible thing I've ever known aside from when the disease finally took him. Thankfully, aside from tummy issues due to the operation and reactions to the chemo he took, Dad did have a decent quality of life for two years. We were very lucky in that respect. Also, there was next to no pain, which I am extremely grateful for.

Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack the Pavorotti thread, but I just wanted you to know I appreciate what you went through and I'm very sorry your family had to experience this. My heart goes out to any family dealing with PC, it's a monster.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12