+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Van Halen Reunion Tour

Re: Van Halen Reunion Tour

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2586552;
    Counting down the days yet BoBoFan????

I heard Ace & TJ (syndicated DJ's out of NC) talking this morning about Van Halen and they were going to try and find some way to talk to them!

I'm counting on you to provide lots of details......
    bbnbama
    I swear... you are so amazing... I started to post a countdown today, but I was so busy at work & now look at you!!!
    I'm so excited, but just wish I was going with my ex-honey...
    I'll be at the Beer Wagon during intermissions... but your detail - you'll get....
    I'll give you the low down! You can depend on me! I'm still excited!
    Just wish I was going with someone else! Damn Damn!

Van Halen 'Jump' starting tour in Charlotte 8:20 AM | Local News | News for Charlotte, North Carolina | WCNC.com | Local News

Van Halen 'Jump' starting tour in Charlotte
    Thursday, September 27, 2007

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Popular 80s band Van Halen is kicking off their reunion tour in the Queen city Thursday night.

It will be the first time in 22 years that lead singer David Lee Roth and guitarist Eddie Van Halen will share the stage, and it's happening at the Charlotte Bobcats Arena.

According to our news partners, The Charlotte Observer, the band is staying at the Ballantyne Resort and has been rehearsing at the arena all week. They also said to expect photographers from Rolling Stone, USA Today, the New York Daily News and other national publications at the arena to shoot tonight's show.

The band is in their 50s now, and they've traded their long heavy-metal locks for close-cropped cuts, but the original members of Van Halen are back in business and have promised that they're better than ever.

"Usually, when a band comes back like us, it's rockers with walkers," frontman David Lee Roth said in August when the band first announced the tour. "This is anything but."

The 25-date concert tour will feature the re-formed group with three original members - Roth, guitarist Eddie Van Halen and drummer Alex Van Halen - along with Eddie Van Halen's son, Wolfgang, on bass.

"This is not a reunion," said Roth, 51. "This is a whole new band."

"It is totally blowing our minds and I think it will yours, too," said Eddie Van Halen. "It's better than it's ever been."

With its flamboyant frontman, "Diamond Dave," Van Halen was one of the most popular rock bands of the 1980s. But the group split up in 1985 and the original lineup hasn't performed together since.

"I'm shocked any of us are still vertical," Roth quipped.

He and Eddie Van Halen insisted that the band's reunion isn't just a one-tour deal. After performing throughout North America, Van Halen plans to hit Asia and Australia.

Wolfgang Van Halen, 16, brings "a young energy and a spirit" to the band, Roth said, adding that the teenage rocker chose the tour's song list, which features "close to 25 of your greatest hits."

"You know every single song, you know every guitar lick, every woo, every kick, every jump, every drum lick," he said. "We can't afford to shirk that duty."

The band has been rehearsing since October of 2006 and plans to exceed fans' expectations, Roth said.

"None of us want to give you less than our best," said Eddie Van Halen. "And we are at our best."

Van Halen merchandise will be available in the Charlotte Bobcats Arena Team Store beginning at 4 p.m.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I'm so excited to read and hear the reviews after tonight's show!

Not much longer for you BoBoFan!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Why isn't Michael Anthony playing with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Adult Beverage;2588903;
    I guess he quit when Sammy did. Wolfie took his place.

Ballantyne Resort Hotel and Spa - Charlotte NC

Check out the place they are staying in Charlotte! Sweet!!!

Music road trip: Van Halen shakes off the cobwebs - USATODAY.com

Music road trip: Van Halen shakes off the cobwebsBy Mike Snider, USA TODAY
    Day: Thursday

Attendance: A sellout crowd of more than 18,000

The opener: Ky-Mani Marley incurred favor with the crowd by opening his half hour set with Roots, Rock, Reggae and finishing with No Woman, No Cry, two songs from his late father Bob Marley's repertoire. However, he flashed his own charismatic side by enthralling the crowd with The March, a hip-hop/reggae hybrid song from his new album, Radio, that juxtaposed the war in Iraq with street violence.

The crowd: Straight out of 1984. Lots of baseball jerseys and classic rock band shirts (think Rolling Stones, Ratt, The Who, Rush, AC/DC, Def Leppard and Foreigner). Many in attendance were in their forties or older, but twentysomethings and teens were present, too. "We brought them because they want to see (16-year-old bassist) Wolfgang (Van Halen, the son of Eddie and ex-wife Valerie Bertinelli)," says Mandy Mashburn, 38, of York, S.C. She and husband Ric, 37, brought son, Rick, 14, and his friend Quin Magee, also 14, to the show. Both boys play guitar and heard Van Halen songs at home, but watched Wolfgang on _______. They already had souvenir T-shirts on.

Says neighbor Jim Gilkeson, 39, a Van Halen concert veteran who accompanied them, "I prefer (the band's original lead singer) David (Lee Roth)," he says. Roth fronted the band, founded in L.A. by brothers Eddie and Alex, for about seven years. Later, Sammy Hagar took over as lead singer for a decade and a 2004 reunion tour. "Really in my mind, I think they've all realized (Roth as the lead singer) is what works."

Stage setting: An S-shaped walkway swooped from above Alex Van Halen's drum kit and flowed into a catwalk that allowed Roth and others to cavort through the crowd. The billboard-sized video screen often displayed an "Eddie cam" view that zoomed in on and captured guitarist Eddie Van Halen's fretwork. Green laser lights occasionally came into play.

The Merch: Pretty conservative, considering the modern-day merchandising frenzy that has led to many bands offering logo-monikered baby outfits. One on-the-edge offering for the ladies: a $15 red Van Halen thong. Also: a $70 hoodie, $15 tote bags, $10 sweatbands and a selection of $35-$40 T-shirts sporting the classic VH logo.

The lowdown: For longtime Van Halen fans, question marks were answered. First to take the stage, Eddie, 52, emerged — clean-cut, bare-chested and buff — and fired off some Eruption-era riffs to a rowdy and affectionate reception from a standing crowd. Any lasting effects from his rehab stint earlier this year and past treatment for tongue cancer were not evident. Returning to the band he parted ways with 22 years ago, Roth, also 52, smiled like a Cheshire cat — and clad in skintight leather pants and sparkling embroidered tunics — and strutted like Chanticleer. His flowing locks are gone and his voice sported a slightly lower register, but Roth sounded virile and satisfied the faithful with some high-pitched screams and spinning karate kicks. On drums, Alex, 54, continued to stoke the band's fire and Wolfgang wooed the crowd with his self-effacing demeanor.

Musical highlights: Showing their teamwork from the get-go, Roth scatted to Eddie's playing during their cover of the Kinks' You Really Got Me. "It only took us 20 years to get this far," Roth told the crowd during the next song, I'm the One (another song from the band's 1978 debut album), referring to decade-long reunion rumors. Two-thirds of the way into the 2-hour-plus show, Alex and Eddie collaborated on a crunching intro to Everybody Wants Some!! During Hot for Teacher, Roth happily exclaimed with emphasis, "I heard you missed us, we're back." The non-stop barrage that also included Beautiful Girls, their cover of Roy Orbison's Oh, Pretty Woman and Panama, another from hit album 1984 (released in 1984), filled the arena with hard rock energy rarely generated since, well, the band's previous forays.

Memorable moments: The absence of bass player Michael Anthony was obvious, but Wolfgang missed nary a beat neither on bass or background vocals. In fact, he had his own rock star moments standing at the stage's crest to strike the opening notes of Runnin' with the Devil and slapping hands with crowd members while stalking the runway during Atomic Punk. (Also not mentioned: Sammy Hagar, who served as lead vocalist after Roth, set to tour with Anthony this fall. Those two attended the band's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year.)

He and his father had a couple touching moments including a smooch after Dance the Night Away and Eddie sliding across the stage on his knees — while playing Little Guitars— and coming to a stop at Wolfgang's feet. Eddie and Roth also had a good rapport and the two slapped hands after Jump.

"They were like a family up there," said Matt Long, Greenville, N.C.. 36, who attended the concert with his brother Andrew, 33. Both have listened to the band since they were teens. "Honestly, it was something I didn't think I would see," he said. "The core of the band is Eddie and Alex, but the alpha male is David. I thought the crowd was going to be older, but this proves their influence and that the interest goes beyond generations."

Both were more than pleased with the performance. "I think David held back. He hasn't been in front of 20,000 people in 20 years," Long said.

Knowing the group's volatility, he said, "you want to be at the first show because you don't know what will happen with them."
    Last edited by BoBoFan; 09-28-2007 at 01:44 PM.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by BoBoFan;2589000;
    I guess he quit when Sammy did. Wolfie took his place.
    WHat I found odd was that Sammy and Marc Anthony were the ONLY 2 that showed up at the bands Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction back in Feb. (or was that March) and neither one of them is with the band anymore.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

JR.

Quote Originally Posted by Adult Beverage;2588903;
    During the recent Van Halen down time, Michael has been playing with Hagar on his solo stuff. Eddie and Alex are pissed at him for it.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Knowing the group's volatility, he said, "you want to be at the first show because you don't know what will happen with them."
    The one statement that scares me!!!!

Sounded like an awesome show and even though I don't know you personally BoBoFan, I'm so excited to hear your comments from your concert!!!

Ahhh...Diamond Dave..."I heard you missed us...we're baaaack"

Yep, I can close my eyes and hear him say that and picture it all......
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread