+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2007 MTV Video Music Awards (Nominations/Show Discussion)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Re: 2007 MTV Video Music Awards (Nominations)

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2565451;
    She used to be able to outdance all the pop stars...what the hell happened to her? She looked like she was half dead and they kept panning to the audience..The look on 50 cents face was priceless.

Oh and to say something nice.....her make-up looked really good.
    I agree. I thought her face/hair actually looked very pretty. If she had on a dress/pants, her figure would've looked cuter. But she had no energy to dance. These past few years of drinking, smoking, drugs...they did a number on her. Even hard-core partying rockers like Mick Jagger and Steven Tyler said that before a tour, they would start working out and training for the road. There is no way anyone can dance for an hour and a half without being in shape. And while she may be lip synching, her dancing was always top notch.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

I just checked out Britney’s MySpace page where someone posted a comment claiming to know what the “real” story was about her performance on the VMA’s. Supposedly the Criss Angel plans fell through due to insurance issues, and the show she had rehearsed for weeks was changed at the last minute (this person cited props being removed from the show). Some of the dancers supposedly said that Britney was crying before she left the stage. They also said that she almost didn’t perform at all because she heard Sara Silverman practicing her monologue and spent the moments up until curtain time crying over that.

Don’t know how much stock I’d place on that account, but thought it might be of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2565223;
    What's MTV talking about--no repeats of the awards? They repeated it immediately after the live broadcast went off the air!
    That's the standard. They have a tendency to repeat it ad nauseam. This time around they're not going to reair the whole show, just the performances since there were so many of them. They'll also have a viewers version and one with commentary.

Regarding Britney...she is not fat for a normal 25-year-old woman who has two young children. BUT, her outfit accentuated how out of shape she was. In the performance, you can see that her stomach is jiggly and paunchy--it jutted out over her bikini bottom. A leotard/one-piece would've held her belly in and taken the emphasis off of one of her bodyparts that isn't in shape. When she was younger, she used to dance on stage in flat heels. I think that would've helped her last night--between being out of shape and underrehearsed, it looked difficult for her to balance on her pointy heels. I can understand her nerves -- everyone was waiting for her to fail. But a more modest wardrobe could've helped her confidence (I think). Also, it was kind of sad 'cause I saw fear in her eyes as she performed. That is never a good thing...
    It was really just a crappy outfit choice which, in the grand scheme of things is within the line of twitney's thinking. She goes out on a daily basis in mini dresses and subsequently showing her butt. It's even worse that the rehearsal footage was better then the actual performance. This girl wasn't even trying.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Its sad, everytime I watch that performance, I can't laugh at it. A year or so ago, I'd probably laugh, but its no longer fun watching an emotionally distraught girl repeatedly embarrassing herself for the public to see.

The outfit was not flattering for her body, but she looked lost. She had no interest in her performance and many times it looked like she forgot to lipsynch. It was a trainwreck and really, another lame gimmick by MTV just to boost their ratings. I didn't watch the show, VMAs has lost its appeal to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;2565496;
    I just checked out Britney’s MySpace page where someone posted a comment claiming to know what the “real” story was about her performance on the VMA’s. Supposedly the Criss Angel plans fell through due to insurance issues, and the show she had rehearsed for weeks was changed at the last minute (this person cited props being removed from the show). Some of the dancers supposedly said that Britney was crying before she left the stage. They also said that she almost didn’t perform at all because she heard Sara Silverman practicing her monologue and spent the moments up until curtain time crying over that.

Don’t know how much stock I’d place on that account, but thought it might be of interest.
    Well, if that's true then Criss Angel really DID get to screw her, even if he never laid a finger on her...

That said, there was too much wrong with what we saw to blame things on the lack of a magic illusion or two. She's not in the shape she needed to be, her basic baseline dance moves didn't seem good anymore, and she looked like a trainwreck.

She should take this as a blessing--a final message from above--that the kind of success she had is fleeting and ultimately worth far less than her freaking family. But she won't. This will be one more thing for her to go off the deep end about, and she will once more be cursing (yet simultaneously teasing) the paparazzi, hanging out in sleazy clubs, with sleazy men, and drinking like a fish over it. Instead of having the strength to put this all behind her for good.

The idea of retiring with dignity won't even cross her wee little mind.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;2565496;

Yeah, I don't buy the Criss Angel insurance issues story. No matter what I think of Criss Angel personally, he is a professional, and his profession requires that his entire act be cleared through his insurance entity before he can committ to the act or any portion of it. And insurance companies don't wait until the last minute on a weekend night of a major televised event to decide if they'll cover it. And Criss and his people would not have waited until the last minute to clear it through them. And The Palms security people have to clear all acts performed on their premises, including artist insurance coverage, before they're allowed to perform. So that's baloney. While it might be possible that the Criss Angel assisting story might be true (we don't even know if it is, it was always only a rumor), if indeed he was unable to do whatever it was due to insurance reasons, I absolutely know it wasn't "last minute". Now as to whether Britney's fried brain only let that information soak through to her at last minute is anyone's guess. And the way Criss Angel's been seen partying hearty in LA and Las Vegas for several days leading up to last night's VMA, he certainly didn't seem like someone planning anything for the event.

Also, the video being shown on the internet of her rehearsing her number didn't show any changes from what she did last night. The rehearsals were better (not good, but better than last night), but the steps and moves were the same.

As for the overheard Sarah Silverman monologue rehearsal, that part could be true. But even if it is, so what? I personally think Sarah Silverman is an idiot with no talent at all, but does Britney really think she isn't the butt of jokes all over the media? I can't feel sorry for Britney hearing herself being made jokes about, since she and only she is responsible for her continued behaviour that makes her the target of comedian jokes.

And none of that explains her wobbly legs, drunken and/or drug glazed eyes, forgetting or just not doing the words to her lip-synching, her slo-mo actions, and her general out-of-it performance. Britney's always very good at having an assistant put out what she thinks are great excuses for her behaviour after the fact, but her excuses don't make any more sense than she does.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

To make matters worse for Spears, raunchy comedian Sarah Silverman took the stage next and proceeded to bury her. "She is amazing," Silverman said. "She is 25 years old and has already accomplished everything she is going to accomplish in her life."
    God, I love Sarah Silverman. She has absolutely no tact.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

Quote Originally Posted by muggle;2565602;
    God, I love Sarah Silverman. She has absolutely no tact.
    If you haven't seen it... the rest of her comments about Britney were much, much worse. To say that everyone in that audience was uncomfortable is an understatement....

I missed the first 40 minutes of the show but MTV, helpfully, and I suspect, somewhat gleefully, replayed Britney's "performance" right after the show ended. I sat there watching and couldn't believe that such a low caliber, cheap act, lacking all talent, dancing or otherwise, was allowed to proceed. Britney looked like a deer caught in the headlights and struggled to remember how to lipsynch and dance. To say it was embarrassing and awkward to watch is an understatement. All I can say is "Gimme NO More".

The rest of the show was ho-hum as well. Some performances I enjoyed, like Chris Brown, minus the stupid Michael Jackson rip-off, the Foo Fighters because at least they rocked live and can always be counted on to deliver and some of the hip-hop jams were good. Over all it was a big suck fest though. I think it's somewhat an embarrassment to win something at this thing. Can anybody have any street cred left after being part of such a glitzy, cheesy, idiotic show?
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2565716;
    Can anybody have any street cred left after being part of such a glitzy, cheesy, idiotic show?
    I was even laughing the stupid names of some of the awards... Monster Hit of the Year, Most Earthshattering Collaboration of the Year (or something like that), etc.

Okay, someone let me in on the joke. This awards show was a joke, right?

Right?
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

+ Reply to Thread