+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Studio Magic to Save You Now . . . The Best and Worst Live Acts You've Ever Seen

No Studio Magic to Save You Now . . . The Best and Worst Live Acts You've Ever Seen

We have a lot of music fans here, and there's a wide variety of musical taste, so I thought this could be an interesting topic. What are the most amazing and most horrific live acts--headliners or opening acts--you've had the fortune (or misfortune) to see in concert?

I guess I'm obliged to kick it off:

Awesome:

The Decemberists - First Avenue, Minneapolis, 2005. They kicked off the set with "The Tain." Yes, all 45-or-so minutes of it, and it practically blew the roof off the place. After that was out of the way, they proceeded to play for about two more hours, and they were absolutely at the top of their game, swapping instruments at will and thrilling the audience with a giant, cardboard whale maw.

The Burning Brides - Opening for A Perfect Circle, Colorado Springs, around 2004. About 95% of the opening acts I've ever seen really suck, but these guys got it right. They played a tight, high-energy set and got the crowd all crazy.

Muse - Denver, 2006. Probably the best show I've ever seen, and definitely the loudest. The studio albums don't even compare to how great these guys' live shows are . . . whenever Matthew Bellamy wasn't singing, he was just pulled out these impromptu guitar solos like it was nothing. Also, they had a killer light show that wasn't overbearing.

Blahsome:

The Bravery - A certain MN college campus, 2005. Generic music and no stage presence. However, they did INXS' "Don't Change" as an encore (I know, right?), and the singer's voice totally cracked going for the high notes. I laughed for hours afterword!

The Mars Volta - Opening for A Perfect Circle, Denver, 2003. About one hour of solid feedback wash and indecipherable wailing. You could not pull a single melody out of it, make any sense of it, and there was no break for your ears at all. The singer thrashed around stage, shrieking like Geddy Lee about God-knows-what, and the guitarist basically played with his effects pedals the whole time instead of actually playing something. Oh, there were bongos, too, just to further annoy you.

Re: No Studio Magic to Save You Now . . . The Best and Worst Live Acts You've Ever Se

Gordon Lightfoot is known for his consistency--it helps that his band has been with him for roughly 30 years.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Re: No Studio Magic to Save You Now . . . The Best and Worst Live Acts You've Ever Se

Well, back in the day I was shocked to find at the big Duran Duran concert my friend and I had so looked forward to that Simon LeBon can't carry a tune.

I love A Perfect Circle - they're music doesn't sound to studioized. How were they? You mentioned the opening acts, but left out the main event.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I did, didn't I? I saw APC twice--once at a college in Denver and then at the City Auditorium in Colorado Springs. The Denver show was awesome, and Maynard's voice positively soars. He's just slightly more nasal live, though. I also had a perfectly clear view of James Iha for the whole thing, which was pretty special since I was (and still am) such a big Smashing Pumpkins fan.

The City Aud. show wasn't quite as good, but I don't think that was really the band's fault. The building is practically falling apart, and the crowd was full of drunken idiots.

Best:

MxPx - Myrtle Beach SC about three years ago. Awesome show. But then I have seen them over a dozen times and each time is great

DMB - Charlotte NC about four years ago. Not a big fan of the music but wow I was shocked with the live show. Great live music.

Worst:

30 Seconds to Mars - Jacksonville FL two years ago. I was dragged to this show and the lead singer Jared Leto was more interested in checking his eyeliner then singing in tune. Plus he threw a beer into the audience and it got into my eye. Beer can fly baby...
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Right now I can only think of the good ones.....

Rod Stewart: For an older chap, he still knows how to entertain! I've seen him perform in the 1980's, the 90's and the 2000's and he always puts on a great show! Plus I love him desperately!

Kiss: You want the best...you've got the best...KISS!!!!

Cowboy Mouth: Its been several years since I've seen them live but the drummer is a hoot and he always entertains!

Garth Brooks: I've seen him numerous times, from arenas to the Grand Ole Opry, and I've never been dissatisfied with his shows! If you've ever seen one of his videos where he's in concert...he's always 1000% on! I miss him touring!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I will go with my worst for now. I actually saw all of these people at the same concert

Nick Carter- When he trying to make it as a solo act. He was basically lying around on the stage screaming and looking like he was intense pain. Needless to say there wasn't much "singing".

Kelly Osbourne - Basically more of the above, though she wasn't rolling around on the stage. Screaming does not equal musical ability.

Destiny's Childs - I honestly don't know if they can sing as they were doing their whole set along with a backing track but were not in sync with it. One song in particular they finished about 15 seconds before the vocals were done of the track.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

Topping my list would be Train - excellent live show, Pat Monahan's voice is stellar. As a bonus, Brandi Carlisle opened up for them and she was terrific.

Also I'm a huge fan of The Bacon Brothers live (yup, that Bacon - it's Kevin and his brother Michael). They are extremely talented and it's a fun show. At one show I saw them, Jeffrey Gaines opened up for him - quite enjoyable.

Eric Clapton - the man just plays a mean guitar.

Bruce Springsteen - great show, especially since I saw him in NJ.

Had lots of shows that were just really enjoyable but not the "best"

Walked out of Heart. worst. concert. ever.

JR.

For great shows, I have a bunch, But, since my list could be a mile long, I'll give you a few favorites:
    Ozzy - 4 times, and he was great each time
    Van Halen - 6 times with Sammy, again all great
    Def Leppard - 2 times both excellent
    KISS - 3 times - 3 times the awesome
    Black Label Society - Zakk is a monster

A sort of bad show was RATT, mainly because the background vocals were horrible. Pearcy and the band were fine though, I was wishing they'd shut the other mikes off.

I saw a band called Warrior Soul that opened for Queensryche, and they were by far the worst live act I've ever seen. Everything was bad, everything. They ended up getting booed off stage after about a half hour.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by JR.;2477644;
    Van Halen - 6 times with Sammy, again all great
    I love Van Halen...I've seen them with both Diamond Dave and Sammy...they both put on great shows...I just happened to be more in love with Diamond Dave so he gets a few extra brownie points!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast