+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Studio Magic to Save You Now . . . The Best and Worst Live Acts You've Ever Seen

Re: No Studio Magic to Save You Now . . . The Best and Worst Live Acts You've Ever Se

I saw Hammer live after he dropped the MC. And Jodeci was the opener. I was 12 so I had no taste. My mother made us leave 15 minutes into their performance. They took a bottle of something and did bad things with it.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

JR.

Re: No Studio Magic to Save You Now . . . The Best and Worst Live Acts You've Ever Se

Quote Originally Posted by John;2478631;
    Now, please stop laughing at my musical choices
    No laughing here brutha, fine choices

Favourite Concert: getting an 8th row seat to see Paul McCartney
    1. Best Musicianship: The Allman Brothers Band in the mid 90ís Ė watching them play was jaw dropping, especially the guitar solos on an extended Jessica.
    Most Theatrical Concert: Peter Gabriel on his So tour Ė I usually go for the music not for the visuals, but I was impressed by Peter Gabrielís showmanship (I will also give him a thumbs up for being the only headline act Iíve seen to personally come out to introduce the opening act: Youssou NíDour)
    Biggest Concert Disappointment: When Eric Clapton, with Mark Knopfler in his band, played the first part of Layla, but not the extended coda, which is my favourite part of the song. If Eric Clapton hadnít played Layla at all I would have been disappointed, but playing just the first part had me wondering what the heck just happened and unable to concentrate on the rest of the show.
    Most Uncomfortable Concert Experience: Seeing the Whoís Farewell Tour outside in October (the stadium was just off Lake Ontario ). It was cold and windy and if I had know that the Whoís Farewell was going to be an annual event I would have waited and seen them indoors.
    Best Between Song Patter: John Prine
    Strangest Concert Iíve Attended: For reasons I can no longer remember a friend convinced me to go see Adam Ant (with a still unknown Scandal opening up). Apart from my friend, everyone else in the audience was about 10 years younger than me).
    Best Opening Act: The Bangles opening for Cyndi Lauper. The sound system was atrocious, but I still liked their harmonies.
    Most Boring Concert: Probably hard to believe, but I would have to say it was Bruce Springsteen on his Born In the USA tour. I was never a fan anyway, but I heard so much about what a great showman he was that I thought I would go see what the fuss was about. I found everything that he did so contrived that I just could not get into it.
    Concert that Came Closest to Inducing Me to Try to Dance in Public: John Fogerty on his Blue Moon Swamp Tour
    Concert that Came Closest to Giving Me a Heart Attack: Govt Mule. I got to the club hours early so that I could be right at the front. Once the band started I could feel the sound waves from the speakers pushing against my rib cage, making me very uncomfortable. After the second song I had to move to the back of the club.
    Most Interesting Impression of Other Bands: Bill Kirchen during Hot Rod Lincoln, working in riffs from the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Kinks, Jimi Hendrix and a whole bunch of other acts
    Most Interesting Encounter with a Band Member: During a Music Festival one of the members of one of the bands came down to talk to me after their set because he thought I looked as if I was a rock journalist
    Favourite Concert Honourable Mention: The Bodeans with the Tragically Hip opening, the Funk Brothers, Down from the Mountain Tour, the Ramones
    Act I Would have Liked to have Seen Live: Rockpile. I saw Nick Lowe and Dave Edmunds separately, but I would have liked to have seen them together.
    Bonus Question: Number of Concert Venues Iíve Attended That donít exist anymore: at least 8 and a couple more that have changed owners/names a few times
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

For some reason, as I drifted off to sleep last night, I remembered the most horrifically awful concert I have ever been to: Jeff Beck w/ Jan Hammer (REO Speedwagon opening *shudder*). I have no idea why I couldn't recall that when I was listing my least favourite shows - it must be some psychological self-protective thing. Anyway, all the guitar geeks loved it, but personally I don't care for craft over art when it comes to music.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

The Best:
    Van Halen (1 Time...Amazing! No one was sitting the entire show!)
    Huey Lewis & The News (3 Times...lost my voice from singing every word!)

Worst:
    Kelly Clarkson & Clay Aiken
    Ashlee Simpson
    note: The main reason the shows were so bad is because the "teenage girls" going thru Hormone Hell would not stop coming & going in & out of our row... SIT DOWN Please!! They were standing on the chairs & holding their damn arm up filming on their cell phones the whole show! I kept getting so I finally got fed up, went out & got a beer & chilled in the Lobby! I could hear better out there & could see just as well as before too, like in not at all , so...

Dying To See One Day:
    Def Leppard
    Jimmy Buffett
    and Van Halen again & again, as many times as I can!!

I once saw Elton John at United Center from the balcony, behind the stage, worst seat you can imagine. It was awesome! He's really something, no matter where you are. The only problem was with the people around me who spent the whole concert sitting down like motionless lumps. Ughhh, I don't get that attitude. Why even bother going to a concert?

I've seen many Pearl Jam concerts and they absolutely never disappoint. Best live act I've seen, hands down. I wish I could have seen The Ramones and The Doors in their heyday but I was born too late. Oh, well.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

I've seen Lily Allen three times over the past year and a half. Before her album was released in the states and after. I ADORE her. and she has the best, most fun, live show ever. so much more energy in her singing than on the CD. going again in sept. and can't wait.
    "A prayer for the wild at heart, kept in cages."

Just came back from a Jamie Cullum concert. This is my third concert of his in less than a year and he is brilliant and different every single time.

I saw Def Leppard and Bryan Adams in concert together, last year I think, not a combination that I would have put together to tour --- but they were surprisingly well matched.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

One of the best was Rick Springfield. He put on one heck of a show.

AC/DC (2 times) put on one heck of a show.
    Def Leppard was another excellent show.
    Collin Raye is one that never disappoints.
    Great White was excellent
    One that really surprised me was JetBoy. They opened for Cheap Trick. I went in not able to get past the lead singers mohawk. They were excellent.

One of the worst I have seen is Kings X. They opened for AC/DC. I missed the first part because we were in line trying to get in. I am glad I missed that part. Yuck.

I just thought of another completely horrible group. Gorky Park. They opened for Great White and were billed as "The Russian AC/DC" They totally sucked. They played for maybe 20 minutes and were booed the entire time.

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp;2477603;

Walked out of Heart. worst. concert. ever.
    I agree with you on Heart, marybethp. The only reason I stayed was I didn't drive and was stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by John;2478631;
    Now, please stop laughing at my musical choices
    No laughing from me, either. Those have always been some of my top music choices.
    Last edited by dagwood; 07-22-2007 at 10:41 AM.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

The best show for me was 4th row at RHCP in '92. The other ones that stand out were Bon Jovi, Van Halen, and Phil Collins.

The worst show I saw (and should be ashamed for admitting I went ) was The Bangles when they played at my college. Susanna Hoffs was so stoned, I don't know how she lasted the entire show.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast