+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It was 40 years ago today: Memories of Sgt. Pepper

lei
    FORT Fogey

It was 40 years ago today: Memories of Sgt. Pepper

Many would call it the best rock album ever. I hope it at least deserves a thread, here on its 40th anniversary.

I was six when my parents brought it home, excited. They kept talking about how it was different. And it was obvious to me even then that it took music to a new level, in which each song was like a whole 'nother world completely different from the next and yet all woven into a wondrous package.

I also remember my dad tearing up to "She's Leaving Home." I think it was the first time I saw him cry.

I remember staring at the cover for hours, learning all the words, playing with the cut-out mustache and stuff.

A few years later I was re-combing through the cover and music, this time for "clues" about Paul's death.

And a few years later I rediscovered it, this time in altered states

It's still an amazing album that changed rock music completely; its influence is undeniable. And I still enjoy it, though I play it seldom, to savor it.

Anyone else want to share their thoughts/memories?

If not, sorry for the rant

Aloha!
    Last edited by lei; 06-03-2007 at 03:37 AM.

Re: It was 40 years ago today: Memories of Sgt. Pepper

I have to share the opinion that IMO it is the finest rock album ever.

I was in the 8th grade when it came out & I played it till the grooves wore out. I have since bought the album again & followed it up with the CD.

We had a Halloween party the year it came out. We were to have a live band, but the drummer, all of 17, was to drunk to play, so we played Sgt. Pepper all night long. No other album hit the turntable & the only time it wasn't spinning was when someone was turning it over.

lei
    FORT Fogey

razorbacker - Thank you for joining this (albeit tiny) party. We can certainly agree on what album to play! I love your Halloween story

I listened to Sgt. Pepper today and was particularly struck by its timelessness. If it was just released today it would still be hailed as exciting and original.

And I couldn't play any other music for the next hour or so after. Everything else seemed to pale.

Long live Sgt. Pepper

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Can I join the party? I remember buying the album, playing and memorizing every song and trying to identify all the people on the cover. Every cut was different than the last and each a masterpiece on its own. I still listen occasionally and love it as much as I did back then.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Yay, Blues Songstres is here! Thanks for joining in and sharing your thoughts and memories

(Woo, I started a thread, hehe!)

Hey Lei I wanted to let you know that the newest issue of Rolling Stone on the newstands now, is the 40th Anniversary issue & it is all about the Summer of Love, 1967. Lot's of great articles that looks back at everything that was happening in Rock that year. The be in in San Fran, Monterey Pop,etc. But there is a long article on the making of Sgt. Pepper. If you are interested it is well worth picking it up.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2483620;
    Hey Lei I wanted to let you know that the newest issue of Rolling Stone on the newstands now, is the 40th Anniversary issue & it is all about the Summer of Love, 1967. Lot's of great articles that looks back at everything that was happening in Rock that year. The be in in San Fran, Monterey Pop,etc. But there is a long article on the making of Sgt. Pepper. If you are interested it is well worth picking it up.
    Thanks, raz! I noticed the teaser on-line and was thinking it would be a good thing to get. I recently watched VH1s special on Monterey Pop, too. I always find it interesting to reminisce about that very special era.

I've got that Rolling Stone (free subscription ) and it's great. They had 2 issues back to back on their 40th anniversary. I was senior in high school when it came out. I'll have to admit I had a far greater appreciation of it a few years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2488730;
    I've got that Rolling Stone (free subscription ) and it's great. They had 2 issues back to back on their 40th anniversary. I was senior in high school when it came out. I'll have to admit I had a far greater appreciation of it a few years later.

I just found out a couple of days ago that The Rolling Stone has hired a company to digitize the magazine. They are going to call it Rolling Stone Cover to Cover. It will be every issue just as they were released for the first 40 years, 125,000 pages. All the articles, ads, charts, everything. I'm going to buy the set for the Historical reading.

lei
    FORT Fogey

The anniversary issues sound great, and the digitization sounds awesome!

Okay, here are the "Paul is dead" so-called "clues" that I can remember just from this album. I won't google for more until others have a chance to add theirs:

- They're standing over what appears to be a grave/memorial, with a left-handed bass, that only has three strings.

- The crease on the inside of the album cover is on Paul.

- If you place the edge of a mirror across the word HEARTS on the drum, with the reflective side of the mirror facing up towards the band, it says, "HE DIE" with an arrow pointing to Paul (don't ask how this was discovered ) who is also the most prominent of the four in that photo.

- Death reference in "A Day in the Life."

What'd I miss?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast