+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bluegrass?

Bluegrass?

I know I'm not the only one here. It's ok to come out of the closet. I grew up in bluegrass country and am always on the lookout for a cool new band, so I thought if anyone had suggestions, a thread might lure them out.

I was also prompted by seeing a new band this weekend that was super-talented, the singer sounds like Alison Krauss but they also write a lot of their own songs, and are starting to get some attention:

The Dixie Bee-Liners

www.myspace.com/thedixiebeeliners

Both have some clips you can listen to, although the myspace has four full-length songs.

Also, somewhat less bluegrassy and more just folk, I just discovered the Be Good Tanyas:

www.myspace.com/begoodtanays
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Premium Member

Re: Bluegrass?

Lucy. I had been thinking of starting a bluegrass thread. I was first turned on to bluegrass just after I got out of college, it was a band calle The Whole Wheat Quintet. I was hooked. I keep the Bluegrass station on my XM radio so I can listen with the push of a button. My latest favorite band is the Yonder Mountain String Band, but I also love Nickel Creek, Alison Krauss, and I adore the Dixie Chick's last album "Home".

Bluegrass? Yes. How else do you think Jerry Garcia got all his guitar-pickin' chops?

I have to second Marley's mention of the Yonder Mountain String band. They're a bit of a local treasure in CO, and they're awesome--technical prowess to burn and they take some new and interesting takes on the traditional style (covering Pink Floyd, for example).

I'm fond of the old-timey stuff like Doc Watson. Mostly, I love to see bluegrass played live. There's a regular lineup of amateurs at a pizza place near me that we go to once in a while.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Lucy, you know I'm a fan. We went to see Charlie Louvin a few weeks ago and he was fantastic and tireless for a guy his age. Nickel Creek is going to be here Thursday so we've been debating trying to go since they aren't planning to play together for awhile after this tour. I'll have to check out those links you posted. I'm always looking for new acts. I'm looking forward to seeing Hanneke Cassel at the Seattle Folklife Festival over Memorial Day weekend. She's not really bluegrass, but if you like fiddle, she plays a mean Scottish fiddle.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Count me as another bluegrass fan My uncle is a bluegrass musician, so I grew up hearing him play and going to festivals. If any Fort bluegrass fans in Northern California, there's a great event going on up here over the Father's Day weekend in Grass Valley: Father's Day Bluegrass Festival. That's the site for the California Bluegrass Festival, so there's a lot of good info about where to go to see great music. Maybe I'm biased since one of my uncle's bands (Adobe Creek) is right there on the front page of the site

Manny - Not many people realize how big a bluegrass fan Jerry was. My uncle's band opened for the Dead many times back in the day before they got a regular band that toured with them. So yeah, I saw the Dead when I was a wee one
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

LOVE it!
    I have a friend that had a band for over 20 years: The Tater Hill Band. Saw them many times, but the best was his "private parties". He lived way out in the country and every Jan. he had a big event at his house and "pole barn" people brought their campers, everyone brought food, so it was like a combination church picnic and bluegrass festival, but by invitation only. Got to see some GREAT musicians that he knew that traveled from many states for this. It was just one big jam all weekend long.

We are going to the "Albino Skunk Bluegrass Festival" this summer and I can't wait. My original hometown in Florida has a Bluegrass festival every year and has for 30 years. It is a lot of fun too.

And everyone should experience the Spirit of Bluegrass Music Fest on the Banks of the Suwanne River in N. Florida, just once. It's terrific!

I like the Old Crowe Medicine Show. I know they don't do "just" bluegrass, but I still like them quite a bit.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Some of the most incredible Bluegrass pickin I have ever seen comes from The Grascals. Just watch them some time.

The Grascals are fun. Although I enjoyed Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver and Chris Thile (from Nickel Creek) and How to Grow a Band and several of the other acts at the annual Wintergrass Festival out here in February, I think my favorite band we heard was The Infamous Stringdusters.

The Infamous Stringdusters
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Thanks for the links, guys - some very cool stuff. I would have never made the Jerry Garcia connection, Manny, but I sure can hear it now, especially on that Stringdusters link, Mar. I've never really listened to it before but I loved the music from O Brother, Where Art Thou?.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast