+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bluegrass?

Re: Bluegrass?

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2376747;
    I've never really listened to it before but I loved the music from O Brother, Where Art Thou?.
    You can't imagine how much that movie did for bluegrass. My uncle said that attendance at many of his gigs was dramatically larger after it came out. Of course, they had to deal with requests to play the music from the movie!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;2376248;
    The Grascals are fun. Although I enjoyed Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver and Chris Thile (from Nickel Creek) and How to Grow a Band and several of the other acts at the annual Wintergrass Festival out here in February, I think my favorite band we heard was The Infamous Stringdusters.

The Infamous Stringdusters
    Mariner! Mr. Rose is a big bluegrass fan so for Father's Day I got him a 'Stringdusters' cd, Fork in the Road, and he loves it. I keep forgetting to thank you for steering me in their direction.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

There were a bunch of Blue Grass bands performing during CMA Music Fest & one of the best ones I saw was Cherryholmes. Don't know if any of you have ever heard them, but it's a Mother, Father, 2 sons & 2 Daughters. The Dad plays stand up Bass, the Mom plays Mandoelin, 1 son on guitar, one daughter on banjo, & the other son & daughter both play fiddle, one right handed & the other left handed. The left handed fiddle player is a 15 year old daughter that is just phenomenal. Give them a listen sometime, they also appear on the Grand Ole Opry quite often on Saturday Nights on GAC.

Premium Member

I haven't heard of Cherryholmes but I sure will check them out if I get a chance. Same goes for Stringdusters.

No one's mentioned Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder yet... Live at the Charleston Music Hall is a fixture in my CD changer...

I also like a band called The Duhks. They've got a real folky bluegrass feel... Link I originally bought them because I liked the way they spelt "Duhks" But I immediately fell in love with them...

You can also mark me down with the Jerry Garcia, "Old and In The Way" crowd...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Brodie, I've got that Ricky Skaggs CD too, and love it.

I'll check out the Duhks, Stringdusters and Cherryholmes.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I have some funny Cherryholmes moments from their time on stage at CMA Fest. First I have to say that these are Country people through & through. Not a pretentious bone in their body & they don’t care who knows it. It’s just all about the music for them.

So, Daddy Jere steps to the mic to introduce the members of the band. First you have to know that this guy has a beard that would make ZZ Top jealous. So he says “ I’d just like to introduce the band but I want to start by answering the 3 most asked questions we get.” Yes, Yes, & No.
    Yes we are a family
    Yes this is my real beard &
    No you may not pull it.

As Daddys are won’t to do he has very special things to say about his daughters. Cia Leigh is 23 & plays the banjo, sings & writes. Daddy says, “ Boy’s she’s to young to get hitched, so don’t come a courting. Besides I need that banjo player much more than I need a idiot son in law right now anyway.”

Molly Kate is the 15 year old fiddle player/singer & song writer..Daddy is more than a little proud when he says “ That at the age of 15 she has already established herself as one of the best bluegrass fiddlers in the industry.” And let me tell you that she certainly set out to prove that on a blistering Orange Blossom Special.

Then before he left the stage he says “ If you want to find out more about us, you can check our website. I have never seen it, but they tell me it’s kind of cool.”

Then just before the end of the show Mama, Sandy Lee steps up & says “ This will be our last song, but after we finish we will be just over to the side signing autographs, taking photos & such, so if you want to come by & shake & howdy we’d be pleased to chew the fat with you.” Shake & Howdy…now that is brilliant…

By the way, CMA Fest is strictly guided by how much time each group is given on the stage. Everyone that attends is well aware of that & realizes that once a band is finished they are finished. But, when Cherryholmes finished the crowd pleaded for an encore, but the MC had to remind everybody that the stage had to be reset for the next band. They were the only group I saw all week that was asked back for an encore & unfortunately none was forth coming.

Cherryholmes

I'm going to have to check out Cherryholmes... I didn't realize they record on Skaggs Family Records... They look awesome!
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

We are going to see Chris Thile and How to Grow a Band on Thursday night at a local club. I'm really looking forward to seeing him again. I just noticed that Nickel Creek is doing some tour dates with Fiona Apple on their Farewell for Now tour. I wish they were going to be closer to Seattle.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Mariner, I just followed your link to the Stringdusters in order to hear some of their music, and noticed that they are out here in Michigan all week. MIght try to catch them next Thursday in Ann Arbor!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast