+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Songs about losing a friend?

Re: Songs about losing a friend?

I want to thank you all for your input. I have completed my CD and most of your suggestions have been included. The songs I have on it are (in order)
    1. What A Wonderful World
    2. What Hurts The Most
    3. Wind Beneath My Wings
    4. Tears In Heaven
    5. It's So Hard To Say Goodbye (to Yesterday)
    6. To Where You Are
    7. One Sweet Day
    8. Gone Too Soon
    So thank you again. Perhaps I will make another CD with some of your other suggestions.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

"I Will Remember You" by Amy Grant is good too. Also works as a break-up song.

"Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks also.

Okay. Now I need some more advice. As you saw above, I have the CD completed. However, I'm thinking of re-doing it and changing the order a little bit. The first song I have on the CD right now is "What A Wonderful World" which was my friend's favorite song (it was played at his funeral) and the last song I have on the CD is Gone Too Soon by Michael Jackson. When we release the balloons, we are going to release them during the last song. Therefore, would it be more fitting to switch the first and last songs? Also, does the order of the rest of the songs look okay? Take my list of songs and put them in the order that you think they should go in. See Post #11 for list
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread before...I also like the song "The Dance" by Garth Brooks....

I like the song list but IMO the 1st and last song should be switched...."What a Wonderful World" would be a beautiful song to release the balloons...

I'm sorry for the heartache of your loss but what a beautiful friend you are to do this 15 years later....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I was going to mention "The Dance" too. They played it at the funeral of my sister-in-law's sister and everyone was weeping by the end.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Yes. I'm definitely going to switch the two songs. "What A Wonderful World" is perfect to play during the releasing of the balloons especially since it was his favorite song. I thank you all for your input and kindness as I prepare for this. Hard to believe it's been 15 years.

Nilesgirl, I like the idea of releasing the balloons to What a Wonderful World.

One of my friends was a member of FDNY who died on Sept. 11th. (sigh)

What a Wonderful World was also one of his favorite songs and it was played at his funeral. Now whenever I hear that song, I always think of him!

My friend did something similar on the 10th anniversary of her best friend's death from cancer at the age of 34. In fact, they also released balloons at the end of the ceremony, as a song played. The song they used was "Someday We'll Be Together" (the one sung by Diana Ross). It was a very emotional moment, and the song is appropriate for any relationship with the deceased -- friend, spouse, child, sibling, etc.

In addition, she had available at a small table at the ceremony, small pieces of paper with a hole punched in it (with a single-punch holepunch), and anyone who wanted to write a little message on the paper did so, then the string of a balloon passed through the hole, was tied up, and the message went up in the air with the balloon when they were released. (everyone held a balloon that was released when the song played).

However you decide to do it, I wish you a good day for it, and that you and all involved come away with a sense of peace and love. I've lost so many relatives and good friends over the years, and I know that no goodbye is ever easy, even years later. But the heart hangs onto the important things -- the feeling of love, and their memories. And however you do it on that day, know that you cannot do it wrong when you do it with love. It will be special and right, no matter what order the songs, because it was all done with love.

Good luck, and enjoy the good memories on that special day. It's a good thing you're doing.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

That's what I'm doing. Writing down things that we remember or miss most about him, and string each one one the balloon strings (one paper on each string) and then send them all up at the end.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12