+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: "What fresh hell is THIS?!"

Phat, I loved your story above! I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I'm OK with Eric Carmen.

Don't care for Phil Collins, even though I have one of his CD's. WTF is wrong with me?!?!

I was all looking forward to jumping in with the old, "No, 'She's Like The Wind' is Patrick Swayze!'" , but Nancy beat me to it. Rats.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

She's like the wind through my tree,
    She rides the night next to me
    She leads me through moonlight
    Only to burn me with the sun
    She's taken my heart
    But she doesn't know what she's done

CHORUS:
    Feel her breath on my face
    Her body close to me
    Can't look in her eyes
    She's out of my league
    Just a fool to believe
    I have anything she needs
    She's like the wind

I look in the mirror and all I see
    Is a young old man with only a dream
    Am I just fooling myself
    That she'll stop the pain
    Living without her
    I'd go insane

(chorus fades)

Just adding to your hell.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

You awful, awful woman, Feif!
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Just adding to your hell.
    Feif, you've added to my fresh hell.

:Was I in the crisper this whole time? I feel so...fresh

Yes, is it worth admitting that I actually did know that Patrick Swayze sang "She's Like the Wind"? At the time I was referring to songs from the movie, not necessarily Eric Carmen. Or should I graciously say, "Thanks for the tip," and pretend to have no idea who wrote it? *sigh* If only my brain had a delete button.

phat, I love Dorothy Parker! Have you read her work? For another female poet with biting wit, read Stevie Smith. She's one of my favorites. She was a very short woman and, whenever she'd perform poetry, she'd turn cartwheels on stage. I still love the title, and plan to use the phrase regularly in conversation. And, so that I may still borrow something from your genius, I've chosen to sprinkle my posts with bold print. Do you feel flattered or what?

To answer your question, one whole album is ruined for me. That one is Peter Gabriel's Passion. This CD is actually the soundtrack music for the film "The Last Temptation of Christ." In any case, the title itself would inspire others to play this during make-out sessions and WHATNOT. So, in my first year or two of college, when I was quite understandably exploring, I heard Passion in a handful of romantic dorm room settings. At 19, with my first boyfriend, we'd listen to the soundtrack once every ten encounters, which translated to about *cough* twice a week. We were .

I own this soundtrack, simply for nostalgic purposes, but can not listen to it without thinking of how every college guy thinks he's Rico Suave. :cool:

That would be a good thread, actually: what music is good/not good to **** with? For anyone reading, please do not have the poor taste to choose Passion for your romantic encounters...
    This is a public service announcement.

Sounds like it would've been fun to bump into you in college, Shayla.

I don't think I've ever heard that CD even once.

Originally posted by Shayla
    So, in my first year or two of college, when I was quite understandably exploring, I heard Passion in a handful of romantic dorm room settings. At 19, with my first boyfriend, we'd listen to the soundtrack once every ten encounters, which translated to about *cough* twice a week. We were .
    I wish I could say I was the Mack in college, but alas I was not. Lest all the collective gasps out there suck the very atmosphere from the earth, let’s flashback:

[Insert wavy lines here.]

So imagine me in a Marithe & Francois Girbaud T-shirt, my Timberland “Big Tims” boots and a short cropped haircut with long sideburns. (Keep in mind it’s circa 1992 – 93. And I looked younger.)

I managed the wing of my dorm. On one side, I had the frat boys who played Garth Brooks over and over AND OVER again, and on the other, I had the Doobie Bros., who incessantly played Eric Clapton and Blue Oyster Cult. Next door to me was Red Man himself, who usually had some reggae on.

This was not a romantic atmosphere in and of itself.

Oh, hell, who am I kidding? I had a poster of the USS Enterprise by my bed and a photo of Capt. Jean-Luc Picard on my bulletin board. (I kid you not.)

This angered my roommate because not only was I not getting laid, by association, neither was he. Girls just didn’t want to stick around the room with the Star Trek memorabilia. You think I’m kidding, but women never seemed to stick around our room that long.

Many a time I walked down my hall to see some girl fleeing our wing, with my roommate yelling, “…but it’s my roommate’s Star Trek stuff! I swear!”

Girl: “I’m going to report you! Leave me alone!”

The lesson I learned: Star Trek posters of ships and crew do NOT for a romantic environment make.

Perhaps this is why my girlfriend begs me to take down the poster of the Enterprise-E from behind our bed.

Love,

phat32*

(*who has promised to do so as soon as she coos “Permission to come aboard…sir?” in the bedroom)
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but...the bad things don’t always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Wha? You mean...Star Trek does not EQUAL sex?!??

This changes everything.

Originally posted by phat32
    I wish I could say I was the Mack in college, but alas I was not.
    Originally posted by Paulie
    Sounds like it would've been fun to bump into you in college, Shayla.
    OK, before anyone thinks I was the MackMommy, let me say I was seriously the BRAIN up until college. No one liked me. Kids would throw the dodge ball at my teeming skull. Being noticed in college was really fun...for all involved, yes.

That's not to say that I was all that in college either. Remember the Simpsons episode where Lisa discovers that geekiness emits a hormonal smell? College just had a higher concentration of geeks than high school. But prospective boyfriends had to see past more than the vulcan ears. They also had to contend with the lace and velvet, with the occasional hippie-chick outfit thrown in. The spawn of Stevie Nicks and Dr. Spock goes to Woodstock... RenFaire hosted on LaGrangian point 5?
    Many a time I walked down my hall to see some girl fleeing our wing, with my roommate yelling, “…but it’s my roommate’s Star Trek stuff! I swear!”
    phat, you slay me.

My girlfriend/future wife knew nothing about Star Trek except to say, "Remember the episode when that thing flew onto Spock's back?" That was usually sufficient to send my nerdy friends into an excited frenzy. It killed me because it worked every time. Taught me that you really don't need to know much to grease the skids with a bunch of fanatics.

And, Shayla, weren't we all serious brains? That's how we all found each other here, I'd say.

The spawn of Stevie Nicks and Dr. Spock
    This hilarious quote makes me laugh not only for what you meant when you wrote it but also because Dr. Spock is the child psychologist and Mr. Spock was the science officer. Both mutant offsprings are outrageously funny to me!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast