+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: "What fresh hell is THIS?!"

Yeah, Eric Carmen did "All By Myself", "Make Me Lose Control" and as phat32 said, "Hungry Eyes" from the movie, "Dirty Dancing".

I have a lot of different tastes of music...a lot of different CDs...A lot of mix CD's too...I've got a lot of classic rock...The Rolling Stones, The Doors, Boston, Van Halen...Big fan of Motown....Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, that sort of thing...And then more modern stuff, from Rob Zombie to even some rap and hip hop...And a lot of 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s...Just a little bit of everything.

Well, at least I know now that I'm not the only one with a very eclectic collection--Tori Amos to Mozart, Oasis to Ice Cube. A lot of musicians like Jewel, Lisa Loeb, Garbage, Shawn Colvin, Sheryl Crow...

Hey, wait a minute--am I lesbian??

I'm only kidding!
    Eep! I have all the above except for Jewel!!! I'm not a lesbian, but one of my best friends is a lesbian; I live in a town with a high lesbian concentration and am a supporter of gay rights. Perhaps my collection is indicative of this!

That's wack, yo.

I also own a lot of bluegrass and folksy music (for instance, Emmylou Harris, Nancy Griffith, Steve Earle and the Del McCoury Band)--basically the kinds of music one hears on "Austin City Limits." I enjoy hip-hop, old school rap, and some politically poignant stuff (e.g., PUBLIC ENEMY). Some CD's I must listen to just for their nostalgic qualities (B-52's, Fountains of Wayne, King Crimson, Roger Waters). I own some indie rock, too.

And last but certainly not least, I enjoy world beat, Brazilian especially (because of a dream I once had--story told upon request), and also Celtic/Irish.

phat, I love the title to this thread. What a funny post!!!Sorry to kind of thread-jack above, in that I'm mind-toggling through memories of my boyfriend's collection and can't think of anything too distasteful. However, when he was a teen, he was crazy about Phil Collins. He had all his records. I can feeel it coming through the air toniiight, hold on... Aieeeee. I can't stand Phil Collins. But I wouldn't hold that against him.

Yeah, Eric Carmen did "All By Myself", "Make Me Lose Control" and as phat32 said, "Hungry Eyes" from the movie, "Dirty Dancing"
    Worse than "Hungry Eyes" is "She's Like the Wind." (I can't believe I remember the songs from that movie.)

She's like the wind...through my tree....

I never quite understood that metaphor. "She's like the wind through A tree" would've made more sense. What is his tree? Is she the wind blowing through the nearly empty space in his mind?

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I thought it was through my dreams!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Originally posted by Shayla
    phat, I love the title to this thread. What a funny post!!!Sorry to kind of thread-jack above, in that I'm mind-toggling through memories of my boyfriend's collection and can't think of anything too distasteful. However, when he was a teen, he was crazy about Phil Collins
    Shayla,

I wish I could claim credit, and I was about to attribute the title to the great philosopher of our time, Homer J. Simpson, but I Googled it and came up with Dorothy Parker. Who knew?

As for the Phil Collins, my Worst Relationship Ever was with someone who loved a famous acid-rock guitarist. (A band/singer who shall remain nameless in case she ever finds this board and sees me bad-mouthing her. Hey, stranger things have happened.)

Luckily, I despised this musician before the relationship, so it's no great loss to me. Since then, I have cocked an eyebrow toward anyone I've dated who enjoys the music from said artist.

And so goes the flipside to this thread: How about having a song (or entire band) you like ruined for you because you associate it with a disastrous former relationship?
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

FORT Fogey
    Beatles, Jazz, Classical, Buffett (during my Parrothead moment) Foo Fighters, Semisonic, Young Radicals, Supergrass, Spanish Guitar music, Train, Wallflowers oh what the hell, I could go on and on, but won't.

Originally posted by Shayla
    Worse than "Hungry Eyes" is "She's Like the Wind." (I can't believe I remember the songs from that movie.)

She's like the wind...through my tree....

I never quite understood that metaphor. "She's like the wind through A tree" would've made more sense. What is his tree? Is she the wind blowing through the nearly empty space in his mind?
    I thought that horror of a song was done by Patrick Swazye (from Dirty Dancing fame when he was trying to take over the world)

Wasn't Eric Carmen also with the Babies?
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Answered my own question...he was with the Rasberries. This list was taken from the "Eric Carmen for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" article I found online. (proving yet again there are many nuts online)

Singles
    RASPBERRIES
    1973 Go All The Way/With You In My Life
    1973 I Wanna Be With You/Goin' Nowhere Tonight
    1973 Let's Pretend/Every Way I Can
    1974 Tonight/Hard To Get Over A Heartbreak
    1974 I'm A Rocker/Money Down
    1974 Ecstacy/Don't Want To Say Goodye
    1975 Drivin' Around/Might As Well
    1975 Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)/Hands On You
    1976 Cruisin' Music/Party's Over

ERIC CARMEN
    1976 All By Myself/Everything
    1977 Never Gonna Fall In Love Again/No Hard Feelings
    1977 Sunrise/My Girl
    1978 She Did It/Someday
    1978 Boats Against The Current/Take It Or Leave It
    1978 Marathon Man/I Think I Found Myself
    1979 Change Of Heart/Hey Deanie
    1979 Baby I Need Your Lovin'/Heaven Can Wait
    1979 Haven't We Come A Long Way/End Of The World
    1982 It Hurts Too Much/You Need Some Lovin'
    1982 All For Love/Tonight You're Mine
    1982 Foolin' Myself/Lost In The Shuffle
    1985 I Wanna Hear It From Your Lips/Spotlight
    1986 I'm Through With Love/Maybe My Baby
    1986 The Rock Stops Here
    1988 Hungry Eyes
    1989 Make Me Lose Control/That's Rock 'n' Roll
    1991 Almost Paradise (live w/Mary Clayton)/Hungry Eyes
    1992 My Heart Stops/It Hurts Too Much
    2000 I Was Born To Love You

Albums
    1973 Raspberries
    1973 Fresh
    1974 Side 3
    1975 Starting Over
    1976 Raspberries Best Featuring Eric Carmen

ERIC CARMEN
    1976 Eric Carmen
    1978 Boats Against The Current
    1979 Change Of Heart
    1982 Tonight You're Mine
    1985 Eric Carmen
    1988 Dirty Dancing
    1989 The Best Of Eric Carmen
    1998 Eric Carmen - The Definitive Collection CD
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I like hungry eyes!!
    I like Eric Carmen too!
    Well....those two songs anyway!!

I never really thought about the lyrics from Hungry Eyes. I'll have to listen closer.
    Thinking of it now I'm thinking he's singing, "She's like the wind through my dreams" ???

not that that makes any sense either.....

I am going to work now - like I've said before
    THIS PLACE IS ADDICTIVE!!!!!
    have a very nice day all :cool:
    So, where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?
    ~ Christina Aguilera

Phat! I totally know where you are coming from.

I cannot listen to Oasis and Foo Fighters without thinking of my ex-boyfriend. Fortunately, I know the he also will never be able to enjoy them without thinking of me, so it's not so bad.

It's a shame, as I love both groups.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast