+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tiny Bubbles Singer Don Ho - Dead at 76

Tiny Bubbles Singer Don Ho - Dead at 76

Entertainer Don Ho Dead at 76

HONOLULU — Legendary crooner Don Ho, known for his raspberry-tinted sunglasses and catchy signature tune "Tiny Bubbles," has died, his publicist said. He was 76.

Publicist Donna Jung said the singer died Saturday morning of heart failure. He had suffered with heart problems for the past several years, and had a pacemaker installed last fall. In 2005, he underwent an experimental stem cell procedure on his ailing heart in Thailand in 2005.

Ho entertained Hollywood's biggest stars and thousands of tourists for four decades. For many, no trip to Hawaii was complete without seeing his Waikiki show — a mix of songs, jokes, double entendres, Hawaii history and audience participation.

Shows usually started and ended with the same song, "Tiny Bubbles," which Ho mostly hummed as the audience enthusiastically took over.

"I hate that song," he often joked to the crowd, adding that he saved it for the end because "people my age can't remember if we did it or not."

Donald Tai Loy Ho, who is Hawaiian, Chinese, Portuguese, Dutch and German, was born Aug. 13, 1930, in Honolulu and grew up in the then-rural countryside of Kaneohe.

FOXNews.com - Entertainer Don Ho Dead at 76 - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

I Liked that song for a while when I was younger. Godspeed Mr. Ho.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Tiny Bubbles Singer Don Ho - Dead at 76

I liked it for a moment, too....and then I wondered what I was thinking about. I got over it. Yikes!! I guess he seemed like such a nice guy.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

RIP Don Ho!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Don Ho was a genuinely nice person, and I'll personally always be grateful for his contribution to the music genre, and for popularizing Hawaiian music and, more than anyone else in popular culture, embodying the true Hawaiian spirit. I doubt anyone ever claimed Tiny Bubbles was a song of great lyrics or style, but it was never meant to be... it was just a tune to give a small taste of the laid back, care-free spirit of Hawaii, which came through when you closed your eyes and listened to the song and allowed yourself to smile and imagine the gentle island breezes wafting with the scent of plumeria.

Me ke aloha menemene,
    A hui hou.
    Aloha `oe, Don
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

I think liking Don Ho music is a guilty little secret for a lot of people. I know that (maybe secretly) a lot of folks will be bummed out he's gone.

From a purely practical side, it means that Hawaiian music no longer has a visible, widely known standard bearer.

The experimental stem cell procedure stuff is news to me (I guess I missed it if it was reported back when he had it done). Obviously stories like that are going to pop up more and more in coming years though, with people visiting Asia in droves for some tiny bit of hope.

But back to Don. People (secretly) like him for a good reason... he was good. If it was kitschy, so what? He was a total pro. He understood the burden of representing his whole culture and I believe always dealt with that with appropriate gravity.

Aloha. Don. And God bless.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Sorry to hear this. He did seem like such a nice man.

For now I'll treasure the version of Don Ho singing Shock the Monkey that I have on my Ipod.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

A fitting farewell, in the true spirit of aloha.

(In the first picture below, the woman wearing the lei is Haumea Ho, Don's widow. She is scattering Don's ashes in the waters off Waikiki Beach in Honolulu.

Sunset memorial for singer Don Ho draws thousands
    POSTED: 10:20 a.m. EDT, May 6, 2007

HONOLULU, Hawaii (AP) -- Thousands of fans of different generations gathered on a beach at Waikiki to honor Hawaiian crooner Don Ho, some clad in bikinis and others in electric wheelchairs.

At a sunset memorial on the beach Saturday, they brought flowers and reminisced about the late entertainer's earlier years.

"I remember my mom would swoon every time she heard him sing. My dad would get so mad," said Rick Williams, of Visalia, California, who was wearing a T-shirt with Ho's unforgettable smile. "Hawaii was two things back then: Don Ho and Pearl Harbor."

Officials expected as many as 25,000 people to attend, making it one of the largest crowds ever in Waikiki, according to city officials. The city arranged extra buses, parking and traffic control.

Ho, known for his catchy signature tune "Tiny Bubbles," died April 14 of heart failure at age 76.

At an earlier private ceremony on the grounds of the Sheraton Waikiki, guests included politicians, musicians and family members, all of whom where dressed in white, except for Ho's wife, Haumea, who wore a floral orange dress and a maile lei.

Some of his 10 children sang songs during the tearful ceremony. An Air Force honor guard presented a 21-gun salute and handed a U.S. flag to Ho's family. Ho had been a retired Air Force pilot.

Pastor Tom Ainucci called Ho an "ambassador of the aloha spirit," who welcomed everyone and made the world a better place.

After the ceremony, Ho's ashes were taken by a double-hulled canoe about a quarter mile off Waikiki and scattered. The canoe was accompanied by dozens of surfers and a flotilla of other canoes.

Following the private ceremony, several island entertainers were to perform, with one of Ho's songs, "I'll Remember You," sung by his 25-year-old daughter, Hoku.

Fans converged on every open spot of sand in Waikiki. Waves gently rolled in as Ho's playful music could be heard coming from several outdoor bars.

Connie Algoflah flew in Thursday from Buckeye, Arizona, just to attend the memorial. She arrived at the balmy beach seven hours before the 5 p.m. tribute, to stake out a front-sand seat.

Algoflah, 43, said she had a huge crush on Ho and used to skip school as a teenager in Oklahoma to watch "The Don Ho Show."

"We were extremely poor in this little run-down apartment. He was my escape into something beautiful," she said.

Waikiki was special to Ho, the face and voice of Hawaii to the world for decades.

"Waikiki to me is like a magnet for the world," he said in a 2005 interview with The Associated Press. "Waikiki is a beacon. It's like a shining light."

Ho had a breakout year in 1966, when appearances at the Coconut Grove in Hollywood helped him build a mainland following, and the release of "Tiny Bubbles" gave him his greatest recording success.

Soon he was packing places such as the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas. Stars including Lucille Ball, Sammy Davis Jr. and Frank Sinatra took in his shows.

Ho also became a TV star, hosting the "The Don Ho Show" on ABC during 1976-77.

Besides "Tiny Bubbles," his other well-known songs include "With All My Love," and the "Hawaiian Wedding Song."

Ho had suffered from heart problems for the past several years, and a pacemaker was implanted last fall. In 2005, he underwent an experimental stem cell procedure on his ailing heart in Thailand.

In one of his first interviews after the procedure, Ho told The AP that he couldn't wait to get back on stage. And he did, returning on a limited schedule less than two months later.

"A lot of people out there come every year to get their 'Tiny Bubbles' fix," he said then. "So as long as they keep coming, I might as well keep doing it."
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Thanks for posting that Nemeses! Very touching.

MRD

I even remember his TV show. I think that he gave us that have never been to Hawaii, a taste of what it was like.

My husband was amazed that I even knew all the lyrics to "Tiny Bubbles", but my parents played that on the "hi-fi" when I was a kid.

I really feel these losses because when people like Don Ho pass, it seems like part of my childhood and part of the things I remember doing and seeing and hearing with my parents, also goes. (since they are both gone as well). I don't really have anyone I can call up and say: "oh my gosh, did you hear that Don Ho passed away?" like I could do with my mom. No one else (except on these forums) knows or cares.

Aloha Mr. Ho and thank you.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread