+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any Radiohead/Jeff Buckley fans?

Jeff Buckley

Rows of houses all bearing down on me
    I can feel their blue hands touching me
    All these things into position
    All these things we'll one day swallow whole
    And fade out again and fade out

This machine will not communicate
    These thoughts and the strain I am under
    Be a world child, form a circle
    Before we all go under
    And fade out again and fade out again

Cracked eggs, dead birds
    Scream as they fight for life
    I can feel death, can see it's beady eyes
    All these things into position
    All these things we'll one day swallow whole
    And fade out again and fade out again

Immerse your soul in love
    Immerse your soul in love.

Beautiful isn't it?
    I miss AJ!!
    "Immerse your soul in love"-Radiohead

Big fan of Jeff Buckley AND Radiohead over here! Grace is one of my top ten albums of all-time; it brings back bittersweet memories of being eighteen, deliriously in love, but even more in love with melancholy. And yes, I'm so old that I actually cried when he died. I'll never forget it: I sat down for my pre-high school cup of deep black joe (courtesy of Agent Cooper, another hero at the time) to read the paper and all of a sudden there it was: Jeff Buckley drowns in Mississippi river at age 27. Coincidentally, I will turn 27 in just a few months and am feeling a wee bit antsy. Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Buckley... clearly, I should be lucky to make it past 27. But then again, I'm not a rock star, just a hopeless music geek, so I should be okay.

Moving on to Radiohead. I used to be a huuuge fan of theirs, but I can't help feeling that almost everything post-OK Computer feels a bit contrived and heartless. Thom, please let Ed play some guitar again, and repeat after me: "There is nothing shameful about writing good tunes".

See, I really am old...
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Oh Look, A Farce! MysticalChicken's Avatar
    If you consider yourself old, I'll be 28 in less than two months.
    (also: re: avatar--nick cave is awesome.)
    "Don't piss off the chicken gods. :nono" -Stargazer (on Lydia, Steph and Danni eating the sacrificial chicken on Survivor)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2231412;
    Big fan of Jeff Buckley AND Radiohead over here! Grace is one of my top ten albums of all-time; it brings back bittersweet memories of being eighteen, deliriously in love, but even more in love with melancholy. And yes, I'm so old that I actually cried when he died. I'll never forget it: I sat down for my pre-high school cup of deep black joe (courtesy of Agent Cooper, another hero at the time) to read the paper and all of a sudden there it was: Jeff Buckley drowns in Mississippi river at age 27. Coincidentally, I will turn 27 in just a few months and am feeling a wee bit antsy. Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Buckley... clearly, I should be lucky to make it past 27. But then again, I'm not a rock star, just a hopeless music geek, so I should be okay.

Moving on to Radiohead. I used to be a huuuge fan of theirs, but I can't help feeling that almost everything post-OK Computer feels a bit contrived and heartless. Thom, please let Ed play some guitar again, and repeat after me: "There is nothing shameful about writing good tunes".

See, I really am old...
    well, the good news is Radiohead is coming out with a new album for 2007
    rolling stone said it will be like the basic guitar rock of the bends, which is probably good news for most radiohead fans since they had quite an over-the-top creative phase
    I miss AJ!!

Quote Originally Posted by LedZepForever;2231638;
    well, the good news is Radiohead is coming out with a new album for 2007
    rolling stone said it will be like the basic guitar rock of the bends, which is probably good news for most radiohead fans since they had quite an over-the-top creative phase
    Oooh, I like the sound of that! I did feel that Hail to the Thief was a step in the right direction. Baby steps, but nevertheless... Creativity is fine, but I miss the good old days circa The Bends. What a flawless album. Have any of you guys seen Radiohead live? I've seen them three times. The first time was in 1995 when they were opening for R.E.M. The Bends had just come out, but besides "Creep" I wasn't aware of them at all. By the end of the evening, I was a diehard fan. The second time I saw them, in 1997, they were headlining the event with Sparklehorse (who you'll have to check out if you haven't already - they're amazing!) as the opening act. This time, it was sheer magic. "Exit Music" and "Fake Plastic Trees" never sounded better. The third, but hopefully not last, time was in 2002 or 2003, somewhere around the release of Amnesiac. By this point, they were playing at a huge venue, which made the whole experience a bit impersonal. Still, a great gig. Can't wait to see them again.

My fiancÚ actually got to see Jeff Buckley live once and claims it's one of the best gigs he's ever been to. (I know, I kind of wanted to beat him up, too. ) Apparently, he was so overwhelmed by the sheer beauty of his voice he actually cried. I would have, too, I'm sure.

Thanks, MysticalChicken! I consider Nick Cave a key part of my musical holy trinity - the other two being Morrissey and Jarvis Cocker. I wish he'd make a new album. His latest one has really grown on me, although it still isn't quite up to par with his earlier works. Him and a gospel choir is a match made in heaven. I still miss Blixa, though. My brother, a fellow Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds fanatic, named his cat Blixa. It remains the coolest pet name I've ever heard of.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

it's a shame nobody recognized what an amazing lyricist jeff buckley was
    listen to songs like grace and eternal life
    the lyrics are so deep and every time i listen to them, i find some different hidden message in the lyrics
    I miss AJ!!

fake plastic trees had never been one of my favorite radiohead songs despite its popularity, but i just listened to it and i changed my mind
    it starts off as such a sweet, gentle acoustic song and then everything comes together and it's so beautiful
    it's just the sound of being high on life
    I miss AJ!!

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2231412;
    Geek, I feel the same way about Radiohead. I want to like their post OK computer albums, but they are just too out there for me. Thing is, Radiohead (mostly Thom) hate anything commercial and do music for the right reason: art.
    I have/had a sentimental attachment to Radiohead. The first song I ever heard was Creep and it was also the first time I met my now husband (12 years ago last month).

To answer your question, I've seen Radiohead live about 4 times. Once, it was in a very intimate venue. They played a lot of acoustics and B sides and it was very sweet. I've seen them twice in an outdoor venue. Their music is perfect for that.
    Last edited by DesertRose; 02-14-2007 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Add to post

something i find ironic is that everyone complained about how radiohead's music has lost emotion (not disagreeing), but rolling stone hailed thom yorke's solo album as a very intimate, personal album
    i love their new stuff and it is personal, but i much prefer when they just completely let go on songs like street spirit and idioteque
    I miss AJ!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast