+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Songs and Artists of your childhood

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

Songs and Artists of your childhood

Basically, what did your parents listen to that you listened to and may have grown to love, because there was no other option.

My parents had very eclectic taste. Every week we would watch Hee Haw followed by Solid Gold.

Oak Ridge Boys
    Alabama
    Crystal Gale
    Motown
    The Platters
    Sam Cooke
    Ike and Tina Turner and solo Tina
    Lionel Richie
    Kenny Rogers
    Hall and Oates
    Mahalia Jackson
    Rev. James Cleveland

One of my favorite songs is Elvira by the Oak Ridge Boys.

Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky;2192237;
    Basically, what did your parents listen to that you listened to and may have grown to love, because there was no other option.

My parents had very eclectic taste. Every week we would watch Hee Haw followed by Solid Gold.

Oak Ridge Boys
    Alabama
    Crystal Gale
    Motown
    The Platters
    Sam Cooke
    Ike and Tina Turner and solo Tina
    Lionel Richie
    Kenny Rogers
    Hall and Oates
    Mahalia Jackson
    Rev. James Cleveland

One of my favorite songs is Elvira by the Oak Ridge Boys.
    I guess my parents are a bit older than yours, they listened to Perry Como, Frank Sinatra, etc. And my Dad was always big on Johnny Cash. The first 45 I can ever remember us getting was Battle of New Orleans by Johnny Horton, followed up with Old Rivers by Walter Brennan.

The Oak Ridge Boys were at last years CMA Music Fest in Nashville & when they did Elvira everyone really got into it. It was a special moment in a great weekend.

When I was young, my parents listened to the Oak Ridge Boys, Conway Twitty, Englebert Humperdink, Perry Como, Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass... Then when I got older and my mother split from my father, she went through radical music stages. First she still liked country and we heard a lot of Ronnie Milsap and Eddie Rabbit. Then it was more contemporary stuff and she became one of Lionel Richie's biggest fans. Then she got into a hip-hop kick and I had to listen to All 4 One, Silk, Color Me Badd and Inner Circle. Thank goodness that didn't last long. I like hip-hop, but not THAT hip-hop. Of course she moved on to probably the worst phase, which was the easy-listening station and cajun flavors like Buckwheat Zydeco. Now she's on to Christian and Bluegrass. So I had a lot to choose from I wasn't influenced or didn't pick up any of her musical tastes, really. I still enjoy Eddie Rabbit because he reminds me of dancing in the living room, and the Oak Ridge Boys bring back memories of singing "Come on in, baby take your coat off.." in a station wagon full of kids. But everything else is just a bad memory.

I grew up listening to Italian singers Adriano Celentano and Paolo Conte. I still know all their songs by heart. I'm not sure anybody here knows who they are...

That was from my father's side. My mom didn't listen to much music, but when she did, it was Ginette Reno. Only when my sister and I started "living in the anglophone world", did our mom start venturing out and listening to English music.
    Last edited by DesertRose; 01-02-2007 at 01:11 PM.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    I heard Sam Cooke's "Twistin the Night Away" on the radio and it brought back memories of sitting next to my dad in his truck.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    My dad was a big Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings fan...he even drug me kicking and screaming to a Willie Nelson concert...I was a teenager and I was into 80's hair bands at that time so Willie was soooo not cool to me

My mom was the Elvis fan...I can even remember her having a poster of Elvis-Aloha from Hawaii poster on the inside of her bedroom closet door! Funny story about Elvis...my mom and dad were supposed to go to a Elvis concert back in the early 70's and my brother got sick so my mom stayed with him and my dad took me instead....I was probably 7 or 8 but I can remember the women screaming like crazy! He was beautiful!!! Even at that young age, I was mesmerized by him!!! Mom was so disappointed that she didn't get to go....she did end up going to see him in 1976 but bless his heart, that was when he had gotten heavier! We loved him irregardless
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

There are a lot of Christian artists that my parents listened to when I younger: The Wedgwood Trio, Ponder, Harp and Jennings, Christian Edition, Heritage Singers.

My parents weren't one for popular music, maybe because of their strict Christian upbringing. My Dad does like Johnny Cash now though and my Mum like Clay Aiken.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

My dad listened to country so I grew up on Conway Twitty, Dolly, Kenny Rogers, Oakridge Boys, Tanya Tucker, Johnny Cash (anyone from 70's, can't think of them all).

My mom loved Englebert Humperdink, Julio Englesias, Barbra Streisand, Donna Summer, Janis Ian (sp?), Elvis (she and my dad were pretty much opposites)

Songs of my childhood that are etched in memory (don't remember all the artists and some of the titles might be a little off). These are pre-80's. Have to keep them separate because 80's songs are a whole other chapter for me.

Don't Cry Joanie
    One Tin Soldier
    Billy Don't Be A Hero
    Honey
    Playground In My Mind
    Last Song
    Saturday Night
    All the 70's disco hits
    Crocodile Rock
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (pretty much all of Elton from the 70's)
    Horse With No Name
    Dead Skunk In The Middle Of The Road
    Junkfood Junkie
    Elvira
    Devil Went Down To Georgia
    Midnight Train To Georgia
    Rocky Theme
    Grease Soundtrack
    Delta Dawn (and other early Tanya Tucker hits)
    Yellow Polka-dot Bikini

Techsan by the grace of G texasgirl73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky;2192237;
    Your parents sound like my parents! That's pretty much how it was at my house as well. I remember listening to lots of country (and that's why I love it to pieces today):

Statler Brothers
    Conway Twitty
    Charlie Pride
    Ronnie Milsap
    Oak Ridge Boys
    Merle Haggard
    Dolly Parton

My dad loves Texas swing, so I guess that's where I got it from, listening to Bob Wills and Asleep at the Wheel. Plus all the outlaw country, Waylon, Willie, David Allan Coe, etc. And then in the early 80's my mom and sister loved all that "soft rock", so we listened to the Commodores, Lionel Richie, Elton John, whatever was top 40 at the time.
    *Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes*

FORT Fogey
    lol, now we know who is old and who is not

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast