+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Esoteric artists you want to brag about or turn people on to...

Fatima/Whitney/Stacy Ann TopModelFan1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander;2185974;
    I really like Regina Spektor.
    Me too! I was just about to post that. I'm listening to Braille right now.

Re: Esoteric artists you want to brag about or turn people on to...

Have to go back to my college days since I'm now relegated to RadioDisney or ESPN radio.

Laurie Anderson
    Kate Bush
    Joy Division

MRD

Robert Earl Keen

He doesn't get radio play anywhere I've lived, but i do hear he gets it in Texas.
    He's just a great musician and funny to boot.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

I just saw where Levon Helm of the band has a new album out of folk songs cajun fiddle and country blues.
    It's called The Dirt Farmer.

The Band has always been one of my favorites and he was always my favorite in The Band. Good to hear something from him after so long. I love his distinct gravelly voice and the down home quality to his music.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Adult Beverage;2586889;
    Have to go back to my college days since I'm now relegated to RadioDisney or ESPN radio.

Laurie Anderson
    Kate Bush
    Joy Division
    Radio Disney is like my vision of hell. My nieces listen to it incessantly and I always come back from a visit with them with a great deal of hair pulled out of my scalp (in frustration).

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2611217;
    Radio Disney is like my vision of hell. My nieces listen to it incessantly and I always come back from a visit with them with a great deal of hair pulled out of my scalp (in frustration).
    We have XM radio and the kids know that we can get it anywhere, especially on 9 hour car trips. No "out of range, can't find it" anymore. In 15 years I'll have my music back. Will Glenn Miller still be touring?

These aren't obscure artists, but I didn't know where else to put this. But, has anyone heard any of the colabortive album between Alison Krause & Robert Plant? Man, this is some great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2619848;
    These aren't obscure artists, but I didn't know where else to put this. But, has anyone heard any of the colabortive album between Alison Krause & Robert Plant? Man, this is some great stuff!
    I've heard about the album razorbacker, but I haven't heard it. What makes it great to you? If you were an Alison Krauss fan but not so much a Robert Plant fan, would you buy it?
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;2619953;
    I've heard about the album razorbacker, but I haven't heard it. What makes it great to you? If you were an Alison Krauss fan but not so much a Robert Plant fan, would you buy it?
    Absolutely I would. This is just a great collaboration & mix of styles. I am sure they were both really shocked & pleased at how well it came out. I bet it is available to stream somewhere online. Gone Gone Gone I'm Done is a smokin hot song.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;2619953;
    Here is what Billboard has to say about the Allison Krause/Robert Plant album:

Raising Sand

On the coattails of Emmylou Harris and Mark Knopfler's genre-busting "All the Roadrunning" collaboration comes "Raising Sand," the intriguing pairing of Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant with bluegrass queen Alison Krauss. Produced by T Bone Burnett, who contributes his keen knack for proffering compelling, off-the-beaten-path tunes, the CD traverses multifarious roots styles, from country (the heart-rending Gene Clark waltz "Through the Morning, Through the Night") to Kurt Weill-like balladry (Sam Phillips' enchanting "Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us") to haunting melody (Tom Waits and Kathleen Brennan's "Trampled Rose") to folk rock (the Plant/Jimmy Page beauty "Please Read the Letter"). But soft rockers rule, including the chugging "Rich Woman" and the Everly Brothers' "Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On)." Key to the magic is the delicious harmony vocals of the unlikely duo, best-displayed on the swaying "Killing the Blues," given trad-country depth by steel pedal ace Greg Leisz. óDan Ouellette

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast