+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Grammys 2007 Awards

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by BoBoFan;2238729;
    That was horrible...I kept thinking he was gonna pump it up after a minute of the slow version... It just never happened.
    I thought the same thing!!! Why he didn't do that I have no idea!

I personally love the Dixie Chicks and thought their performance was really good last night! It has to feel good to them to be accepted and for a record that talked about all the crap that went on! I don't listen to country music much anymore but I wonder how and what the country music stations said today or if they just ignored them again?!

I thought the Police did OK too but I would have liked to have them sing parts of several songs...I would have liked to have heard "Every breath you take"........
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Thanks, Amy Lee. I've heard of Rascal Flats, but had never listened to them before. Maybe I'll have to look into them.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Dixie Chicks were awesome

RHCP- Snow. I love that song. Although all the "snow" coming down was overdone.

Shakira-it's time to move on now.

I saw a pic of Fergie. God help me. I cannot stand that woman.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

just curious, what y'all think about christina aguilera's performance?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by babs1003;2238858;

i love her, specially when she oversigns. as will randy jacksons say " we have a hot one tonight, that is your confort zone, continue loud"

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;2238324;

eta: Anthony Keidis(RHCP) is super hot!
    No kidding!
    I was so happy RHCP won 4 awards! Their performance wasn't all that great, though, IMO. Like bbnbama said, it would probably have been better if they did Dani California instead.
    My favourite performances were Christina Aguilera (the song wasn't that great but I think she is an amazing singer) and the Dixie Chicks. The others were just kind of meh for me. I thought Shakira was pretty bad. We've all heard that song a million times and we've moved on. Her vocals weren't very good either.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

Quote Originally Posted by babs1003;2238858;
    I thought she was awesome!!! I love to hear her sing! I'm amazed a voice that big comes out of a body that small.

Sing with Justin

A little dose of American Idol may have given the Grammys a little dose of American Idol power.

For the first time in three years, the Grammys telecast drew more than 20 million viewers, per preliminary ratings released Monday by CBS.

The show, led off by the reunited Police, featured a new Idol-esque promotion called My Grammy Moment, in which viewers were asked to vote an unknown singer into the spotlight with Justin Timberlake.

According to CBS, the show, which also featured a Best New Artist win by former Idol champ Carrie Underwood, averaged 20.1 million awards-show fans from 8 p.m.-11:30 p.m. That's the most since 2004, when 26.3 million tuned in to see if a post-Super Bowl Janet Jackson would show (she didn't), and if a post-Super Bowl Timberlake would apologize (he did).

Despite the ratings spikeóand viewership was up nearly 20 percentóthe Grammys still aren't in Idol's Nielsen league.

After three telecasts each this season, Tuesday's Idol is averaging 35.6 million viewers, while Wednesday's Idol is averaging 35 million.

The last time the Grammys topped 35 million viewers, according to Nielsen Media Research stats, Sade was Best New Artist, Phil Collins' No Jacket Required was Album of the Year, and "We Are the World" was all. Translation: The year was 1985.

As a show, Sunday's no-host Grammys acquitted itself nicely with critics.

"This year's Grammys was surprising for one reason," BET.com's Tonya Pendleton wrote, "it was actually entertaining."

The piano-playing, guitar-strumming, camcorder-running Timberlake drew good notices from Variety's David Sprague.

"If the singer...hadn't exorcised the ghost of his boy band past before, he did so with a multifaceted showing here," Sprague wrote.

In the New York Times, Jon Pareles found the show heavy on oldies, which did he didn't necessarily find a bad thing, just not necessarily a brave thing.

"At a time when recorded music needs all the commercial help and television exposure it can get," Pareles wrote, "the Grammy Awards broadcast retreated too often into memories."

As for the night's big gimmick, My Grammy Moment, it scored credible enough reviews.

Variety said the Timberlake pairing with winner Robyn Troup "wasn't nearly as amateur-night in presentation as it had appeared to be on paper." Even the New York Times found the 19-year-old Troup "poised and skillful."

As it turned out, Troup has more of an Idol connection than merely being the winner of the Grammys' Idol-esque contest.

Backstage, Troup became evasive when asked an innocent question about whether she'd ever auditioned for Idol. After prodding, she said that she'd tried out this season, but said she couldn't say whether she'd been approved from the competition's Hollywood round.

Fox, in its usual tight-lipped Idol way, had no comment Monday on Troup.

Idol's Hollywood auditions are scheduled to be featured in the episode set to air Tuesday.

Unless there's a drastic reversal of Nielsen fortune, Tuesday's Idol will once again draw a (much) bigger crowd that the Grammys.

My Grammy Moment, or no.

Country unforgiving to Chicks

I found this in The Tennessean interesting.
    Grammy wins won't change feud with radio, observers say

By JONATHAN MARX
    Staff Writer

On Monday, the Dixie Chicks were splashed across every media outlet for their five wins at the 49th annual Grammy Awards ó well, almost every media outlet.

Almost four years after Natalie Maines' infamous comment about President Bush, the Dixie Chicks still don't stand a chance on country radio.

According to industry observers, nothing has changed between country radio and the Chicks, and there's no reason to expect that it will, even with the trio's winning a Grammy for Best Country Album and another for Best Country Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal ó not to mention overall album, record and song prizes.

"Country radio is not going to be responsive to the Dixie Chicks' Grammy wins because the Grammy voters are music industry professionals, who aren't reflective of the country radio audience," says Ed Salamon, executive director of Country Radio Broadcasters, the trade organization that hosts the annual Country Radio Seminar.

"Country radio makes a great effort to determine what music the listeners want to hear and give it to them. If their attitudes toward the Dixie Chicks should change, country radio would be right on that change, but I don't see that happening as a natural consequence of awards being voted by the music industry."

Lon Helton, publisher of the industry trade publication Country Aircheck, agrees. "The Grammys are totally out of touch with the country marketplace," he says. "If you look at the nominations, they don't reflect what's going on in the country consumer marketplace."

More to the point, suggests Chris Walters, program director of Lone Star 102.3-FM in Wichita Falls, Texas, country radio has no reason to embrace the Dixie Chicks because the group has flat-out rejected country radio ó something that was reinforced by Maines' scornful laugh when she accepted the country album award.

"The Chicks have chosen to continue to make this (rift with country radio) an issue," Walters says. "When they say things like 'We're not a country band anymore,' nothing alienates a country audience more. The marketplace has decided they don't like the Dixie Chicks very much Ö and when the Chicks decided to knock listeners over the head with 'Not Ready to Make Nice,' they just reopened old wounds."

Listeners are divided

That's a shame, says John Hart, president of Bullseye Marketing/Research, because country radio otherwise has every reason to embrace the Dixie Chicks.

"They're an awesome group, there's no doubt about that. I don't think any of this has to do with their music, and that's the sad part because they add so much to the format. Unfortunately, Natalie lets her mouth get the best of her."

On several occasions, Hart's firm has polled country listeners to find out whether they'd be receptive to hearing the Dixie Chicks on the radio, and the response is almost always the same: "Fifty percent say they do, 50 percent say they don't, and that's been the case ever since The Comment. It's never changed, except by maybe 2 to 3 percentage points, and it's not going to change."

The problem, Hart says, is country radio can't afford to risk losing any of its audience.

"Listeners don't tune out because of what you don't play ó they tune out because of what you do play, and that's the key issue here. Country ratings are based on how long people listen to a station. The actual number of listeners is smaller than the (Contemporary Hit Radio) pop format, but they listen longer, so it's critical not to tune people out.

"Any time you have 50 percent of your audience saying I'm going to leave you, it becomes a fear-based issue. Personally, I say, let's get on with this. Put 'em on the radio and see what happens."

What a shame! I have never agreed with the notion of not playing their music...but that brings up the whole debate again and I won't go there.

I use to be a big country music listener but I haven't listened as much since Garth Brooks retired. I applaud the Dixie Chick's song "Not ready to make nice"....I think it is a powerful song with some very powerful words....

"Not Ready To Make Nice"

Forgive, sounds good
    Forget, Iím not sure I could
    They say time heals everything
    But Iím still waiting

Iím through with doubt
    Thereís nothing left for me to figure out
    Iíve paid a price
    And Iíll keep paying

Iím not ready to make nice
    Iím not ready to back down
    Iím still mad as hell and