+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Classical music?

Classical music?

I know I can't be the only classical music freak here . Favorite composers/pieces, anyone? Baroque or avant-garde (or anything else, really )?

I'll start off by saying that I'm a big fan of contemporary composers, such as Benjamin Britten and Arvo Part.

PS - Kudos to anyone who knows what I'm referencing with my sig line.
    Gustav Holst was right!

I'm not much on symphonic music, but I do enjoy opera. I don't have a lot of exposure to it, but Puccini, Verdi, and Rossini all have a prominent place in my meager CD collection.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Ooh, opera! Sadly, I'm not as familiar with it as I should be, but if you happen to be in the mood for something that's drastically different from the likes of Verdi or Puccini, check out Philip Glass' Einstein on the Beach. It's not really an opera in the traditional sense (the minimalist music, and the libretto consisting of random numbers, solfege syllables, and short monologues on, well, I'm not really sure - it's basically plotless), but it's still pretty interesting to listen to.
    Gustav Holst was right!

OMG! They killed Kenny! FordChick73's Avatar
    I do love a good classical music piece for sure. I've been in bands (concert bands, marching bands...) since I was 13 and I love it when we get to play a really beautiful classical piece.

Some of my favorite classical music composers include Edward Grieg, Vivaldi, Shostakovich, Bach and Tchaikovsky.

One of my absolute favorite pieces is "Waltz No. 2" by Shostakovich
    (It was actually used in "Eyes wide shut")

Other favorites are "Air on a G string" by Bach (hate to be such a cliche as most people know this piece very well. However, one of the reasons I enjoy it is it's one of the few classical pieces that has a decent bass line..... I play the tuba....ehhe)

"Peer Gynt Suite" by Edward Grieg, all the pieces are beautiful.
    Of course the Seasons by Vivaldi .......

Yeah...I'm a fan of classical music!

OMG! They killed Kenny! FordChick73's Avatar
    Oh and PS ............ I do know what your signature is referring to... hehe... very clever!!!

Holst is one of my favorite composers to play from. His Suites are a pain in the neck but wonderful!!! Not only the one referred to in your signatures but his other works are awesome as well.

I gained a respect and taste for classical music when I took Music Appreciation in college. One of my absolute favorite pieces is "Vltava" (The Moldau) by Smetana.

I'm happy to see some new posts here. I thougt this thread had died for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by FordChick73;2120040;
    I do love a good classical music piece for sure. I've been in bands (concert bands, marching bands...) since I was 13 and I love it when we get to play a really beautiful classical piece.

Some of my favorite classical music composers include Edward Grieg, Vivaldi, Shostakovich, Bach and Tchaikovsky.

One of my absolute favorite pieces is "Waltz No. 2" by Shostakovich
    (It was actually used in "Eyes wide shut")

Other favorites are "Air on a G string" by Bach (hate to be such a cliche as most people know this piece very well. However, one of the reasons I enjoy it is it's one of the few classical pieces that has a decent bass line..... I play the tuba....ehhe)

"Peer Gynt Suite" by Edward Grieg, all the pieces are beautiful.
    Of course the Seasons by Vivaldi .......

Yeah...I'm a fan of classical music!
    I adore Shostakovich! I love his string quartets, especially the 3rd and the 8th (the latter probably being the most famous of the 15, though I don't think that's without reason - the 2nd movement is devastating).

Have you heard Duke Ellington's jazz arrangements of the Peer Gynt Suite? I'm really not a fan of jazz, but those I enjoy.
    Gustav Holst was right!

+ Reply to Thread