+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 66 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959 ... LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous Music News

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/en...805492000.html

Bacharach-Dickinson Daughter in Suicide

Fri Jan 05, 7:42 PM ET

Nikki Bacharach, daughter of Burt Bacharach and Angie Dickinson, committed suicide, the songwriter and actress said in a statement Friday.

Nikki Bacharach, 40, suffered from Asperger's Disorder, a form of autism. She killed herself Thursday night at her condo, said Linda Dozoretz, a spokeswoman for the family.

"She quietly and peacefully committed suicide to escape the ravages to her brain brought on by Asperger's," the statement said.

The statement gave no details of the manner of death.

Born prematurely in 1966, Nikki Bacharach studied geology at Cal Lutheran University, but could not pursue a career in the field because of poor eyesight.

"She loved kitties, and earthquakes, glacial calving, meteor showers, science, blue skies and sunsets, and Tahiti," the statement said.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    I actually read that Nikki Bacharach died of suffocation using a plastic bag and helium, as per Mike Feiler of the Ventura County coroner's office.

So sad....my condolences to both Angie Dickinson and Burt Bacharach!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Thanks for posting the article, bbnbama. I remember reading an article about Angie and Burt around 1970 where they spoke about this daughter, and I remember that I was touched by the obvious love and heartbreak they shared with her. I hadn't thought anymore about them since then, but it's sad to hear what happened with Nikki.

Sympathies and condolences to Nikki's family and friends, and I'm sure she was well-loved, as she was brought up with much love surrounding her. I hope that peace can be found in this tragedy.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...1_%5BFeed%5D-3

Van Halen, R.E.M. among Rock hall of fame entrants
    Mon Jan 8, 2007 11:47am ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Rock bands Van Halen and R.E.M. have made the cut for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, along with punk poet Patti Smith, pioneering rappers Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, and 1960s girl group the Ronettes, organizers said on Monday.

They will be honored at a black-tie ceremony in New York on March 12, the main fund-raiser for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland.

Inductees are chosen by music industry insiders from a short-list of acts who become eligible for consideration 25 years after their first recording. Those who did not make the cut were punk rock band the Stooges, English pop combo the Dave Clark Five, funk combo Chic, and late soul singer Joe Tex.

The inductees often perform, which would present a dilemma for Van Halen, the Los Angeles rock band with such hits as "Hot for Teacher" and "Why Can't This Be Love."

The band self-combusted in recent years. Dutch-born guitarist Eddie Van Halen and his drummer brother Alex are the only original members left after original singer David Lee Roth left in the mid 1980s, his replacement Sammy Hagar was fired in 1996, and bass player Michael Anthony quit last year and was replaced by Eddie's 15-year-old son Wolfgang.
    R.E.M. emerged from the college rock scene in Athens, Georgia to enjoy mainstream success with songs such as "Losing My Religion" and "The One I Love."

R.E.M. is also out without its original drummer, Bill Berry, who quit amicably in 1997, but has occasionally reunited with his colleagues, singer Michael Stipe, bassist Mike Mills and guitarist Peter Buck.

Grandmaster Flash, born Joseph Saddler, pioneered hip-hop in the 1970s by transforming the record turntable into a musical instrument. The DJ recruited rappers to perform over his music, and thus was born the Furious Five -- Kid Creole, Cowboy, Melle Mel, Mr. Ness, and Raheim. Their tune "The Message," a gritty account of ghetto life, was a worldwide smash in 1982.

Smith became a major figure on the New York punk rock scene in the 1970s, thanks to such singles as "Hey Joe"/"Piss Factory" and her 1975 album "Horses," which mixed Beat poetry and primal rock.

The Ronettes, formed by Ronnie Spector with her sister Estelle Bennett and their cousin Nedra Talley, enjoyed huge success in the 1960s with such tunes as "Be My Baby" and "Baby I Love You."

The group was the beneficiary of producer Phil Spector's Wall of Sound technique, which overdubbed scores of musicians and instruments to create a massive roar. The Spectors were married in 1968, but divorced six years later.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2187848;
    I just read an interestig bit of information in the new Goldmine magazine. It seems that Allison Krause & Robert Plant are working together on an album of duets. Now there's a crazy combo for you.
    I hate to quote my own post, but I have found out that this album is indeed in the works. The thing is that it will be Alison doing duets with many other people & not just Robert Plant. XM 16 is already playing Alison & John Waite doing I Ain't Missing You. This song sounds really good, so this album may hold some real promise.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    That's really sad about Nikki Bacharach. I feel sorry for her parents and family.

for Van Halen being inducted!!!! It will be interesting to see who performs....wouldn't it be great if Diamond Dave and Sammy both sung and Michael Anthony and Wolfgang both played bass????

I really am thrilled that they were inducted!!! I've been a Diamond Dave/Van Halen fan for many many years!

"Sammy Hagar was fired in 1996, and bass player Michael Anthony quit last year and was replaced by Eddie's 15-year-old son Wolfgang."

I was a Van Halen fan in the 80's but kind of lost track of them. I knew Sammy Hagar was David's replacement but I didn't know he was fired, let alone that it was 11 years ago! And Eddie's son joined the band? I had no idea about that either! The only recent news I did know was that Eddie and Valerie divorced and I think even that was several years ago. For some reason though I was surprised Wolfgang is only 15. I thought for sure he was born at least as long ago as my son, who is almost 21.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Marilyn Manson's wife files for divorce
    The wife of rock singer Marilyn Manson, Dita Von Teese, has filed for divorce after only a year of marriage.

According to the BBC Von Teese, real name Heather Sweet, filed the papers at the very end of last year.

The 35-year-old burlesque dancer cited irreconcilable differences as the reason for the split, thought to have occurred on Christmas Eve.

The couple began dating in 2001 and were married in 2005 in a ceremony in an Irish castle.

Von Teese is reportedly not claiming spousal support from Manson.
    I don't know much about his wife. I think she appeared on ANTM this season as a guest.

Link

To add to rt1ky's post...

Marilyn Manson

Marilyn Manson Dating Evan Rachel Wood
    TUESDAY JANUARY 09, 2007 11:00 PM EST

By Ken Lee

Rocker Marilyn Manson is romantically involved with 19-year-old actress Evan Rachel Wood, sources close to the situation tell PEOPLE.

The sources say his relationship with the Thirteen actress was a factor in the Dec. 29 divorce filing by Dita Von Teese, 34, Manson's wife of one year.

"Dita is heartbroken, she didn't see this coming," says a source close to the burlesque dancer and MAC cosmetics model. "His partying contributed to the split as well."

Manson, 38, and Wood have been friends for some time. According to his official Web site, Manson first met Wood when he asked her to be in his upcoming horror film, Phantasmagoria: The Visions of Lewis Carroll.

In addition, she posed for a watercolor that he painted, and attended the opening of his new Hollywood art gallery, the Celebritarian Corporation Gallery of Fine Art, last Halloween.

"It came as kind of a shock," Wood told Rolling Stone about being asked to pose. "I was beyond flattered."

Manson, who is currently in Paris, was unavailable for comment. A rep for Wood would not confirm the relationship. A spokeswoman for Von Teese did not return calls for comment.

LG.
    oh gross - two women fighting over Marilyn Manson. The world is really screwed up for that to happen. This one is 19 - how old is Mason? He has to be 40 by now.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

+ Reply to Thread