+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 66 FirstFirst ... 64647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous Music News

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Music News

This wonderfully talented woman was on The View recently, and it was all she could do to just talk and breathe. She talked about her hepatitis, but she didn't look sick. My heart hurts for her.

Lifeline Live Blog: Entertainment News & Rumors - USATODAY.com

Natalie Cole hospitalized
    Breaking now: Natalie Cole, who has been battling hepatits C, has been hospitalized in New York. The side effects of Cole's tough chemotherapy treatment for the liver disease, paired with a busy schedule in support of her just-released album Still Unforgettable, are what led to the problem, her reps tell People. Cole, 58, was diagnosed with the liver disease in April.

Last week, Cole told Entertainment Tonight, "This is a virus that was dormant in my body for 25 years. I had no symptoms, was feeling great, working out like a crazy person -- and this just keeled me over, like a feather."

People reports that Cole will return to her home in Los Angeles in the coming days and will be on a month-long bed rest so she can recuperate, say her reps. She is also postponing her planned October performances.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

What a shame. Hep C is so hard on the body. My uncle had it for 25 years but of course he didn't take the doctor's advice and stop drinking and smoking, he just considered it a death sentence. Pam Anderson has it as well but takes care of herself and tries not to run her body to the ground.
    Yup, with donuts!!

According to TMZ, Travis Barker never takes private planes. He made an exception because his assistant's wife had just gone into labor and Travis promised him he would be there in time for the baby to be born. Travis' assistant is one of the people who died in the crash

I've searched around and can't find much info on how Travis and DJ AM are doing. I know Travis has burns on his body from the waist down and DJ Am was burned pretty badly on his face. It's just so awful and heartbreaking. It should have been a happy day with a new baby.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

All I can find in the local news is that they are both still critical but stable. I know the airport is still closed and they've recovered the cockpit voice recorder, the NTSB is still investigating what happened. This is so sad.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

People article

Travis Barker's former mother-in-law, Gail Moakler, tells PEOPLE, "We're totally crushed," but that Shanna Moakler has rushed to be with her ex, while DJ AM's sister, Lara, and her husband, Benjamin Long, learned the news of the plane crash – in which Barker and DJ AM were badly burned and four others were killed – from a phone call from AM's mother on Saturday morning.

"We're in shock," Benjamin Long told PEOPLE. "Nobody expects something like this. We're waiting to hear more."

Moakler, whose daughter Shanna was married to Barker, tells PEOPLE, "Our heart pours out. We're hoping he recovers. The family is rallying around him and saying our prayers."

Both Barker, 32, and DJ AM (real name: Adam Michael Goldstein), 35, were taken to a burn center in Augusta, Georgia, about 75 miles southwest of the Columbia, S.C., crash site. Both are listed in critical condition.

Four others on the plane were killed: pilot Sarah Lemmon, 31, of Anaheim Hills, Calif.; co-pilot James Bland, 52, of Carlsbad, Calif.; security guard Charles Still, 25, of Los Angeles; and Barker's assistant Chris Baker, 29, also of Los Angeles.

Children Not Told
    Upon hearing the news of the crash, "Shanna flew out this morning, and I am going to L.A. to be with the children so that she can devote time to Travis," Gail Moakler tells PEOPLE.

Former Playboy Playmate Shanna Moakler, 33, was married to Barker from 2004 until earlier this year. They have two children: son Landon, 4, and daughter Alabama, 2.

"There's still love between them," says Gail Moakler. "They may be divorced, but they're still very close. She spends a lot of time with him. Their priorities are their kids."

The youngsters have yet to be told about the incident. "We're waiting a bit to see what God brings," says their grandmother, who adds, "Shanna spoke to Travis last night. He was defiant after the accident and didn't want to be lifted in a helicopter, but rather an ambulance, so they had to knock him out."

"The whole thing is crazy," said Benjamin Long. "We're thankful that he made it. And we feel horrible about those who didn't. It's just awful."

He added that his bother-in-law is a survivor. "He flies all the time," says Long. "A lot of people know his story. He's pulled through a lot of things in the past."

The Learjet carrying six people that crashed after midnight Friday was just over one year old and chartered from Global Executive Aviation in Long Beach, Calif., according to Columbia Metropolitan Airport spokesperson Lynne Douglas,

"The crash was the result of an overrun on its flight to Van Nuys [Calif.]," says Douglas, who attended a National Transportation Safety Board press conference Saturday afternoon in Columbia. "The NTSB is gathering information and fact finding to learn what happened in this tragedy."

A statement was also issued by the Pure Management Group's vice-president of entertainment, Michael Greco. It said, "Our thoughts and prayers go out to both Adam and Travis. The PMG family is deeply saddened by the news of this unfortunate event and we wish Adam and Travis a speedy recovery and send our sincere condolences to the families who lost loved ones."
    ETA:
    Here's the latest at TMZ

A publicist for Travis Barker and DJ AM contacted TMZ and says our sources are incorrect -- that Chris Baker's wife was not in labor when he died in the plane crash and that was not the reason Travis and the others flew home on a private jet.

The publicist adds, "Both Travis Barker and Adam Goldstein (DJ AM) are in critical but stable condition and are being treated at Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta, Georgia after surviving a plane crash late last night in Columbia, South Carolina.

The hospital will issue a statement with an update on their condition at 9:00 am eastern time tomorrow. Due to the nature of the injuries and the evolving course of treatment no further information on their condition is available at this time.

The accident claimed the lives of four people on board, two of whom, Chris Baker (Lil Chris) and Charles Stills (Che), were close friends of the injured.

On behalf of Travis Barker and DJ AM, deepest sympathy is expressed to the loved ones of all who perished in the crash. As the two recuperate and mourn this loss, privacy for them, their families, and friends is requested at this time."
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Whew! well I am glad that the labor story was incorrect. That would have just been too devestating to the poor "new mommy".
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

I just read an article (link: Feds say doomed SC jet crew thought tire blew out - Yahoo! News) that says DJ AM was burned on his arm and a portion of his scalp, while Travis was burned on his torso and lower body. The news seems better for DJ AM (scalp burn is better than face burn), but worse for Travis. They're lucky to be alive, but they have a painful recovery ahead of them.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I had heard that it was face and hands for DJ AM, Critical. Hopefully not, as that would be especially tragic because, as awful as it is having to face the fact that you survived such a horrific event, it would also be a career ender as he makes a living with his hands.

I had also heard a witness talk about the fact that both men were seen outside of the plane trying to pat the flames out on their bodies, so damage to hands would make sense. And one of the men had apparently stripped his clothes off so was naked and trying to put out the flames. I would imagine that was Travis Barker.

Scary, scary event.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I'd been reading that DJ AM was burned on his face too, Broadway, but the article I linked to above has a statement from his family. It says "scalp" and not face. It's a shame about his hands. I can't imagine.

This article has a statement from their doctor and he says Travis is burned on his torso. No mention of anywhere else. I guess we'll have to wait to find out what the real damage is.

I thought I had read somewhere that both guys had been put into drug-induced comas, but now I find no mention of that in any articles. I think that's pretty standard with burn victims. I'm sure the pain is so great that not being awake is a blessing.

*shiver* Yes, I hope that is accurate, too, Critical. And I read something where, when asked how the guys were doing, the doctor would only say that 45% of all burn victims have emotional problems as a result.

Seriously... both of these guys are going to have "why me" thoughts (as in why did i survive and not the other guy.) And they both knew the other two passengers very well, so there's going to be a lot of hurting both physical and emotional.

eta: just now read the article you cited. I see more details. *sigh*
    Last edited by Broadway; 09-21-2008 at 07:02 PM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread