+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 66 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous Music News

Re: Miscellaneous Music News

Apparently she phoned in to Ryan Seacrest this morning dismissing anything to do with this whole rumour/debacle. I guess she was genuinely upset about it all. It doesn't sound like it's anything but made up hogwash at this point. Thank goodness.

MRD

THis was sad. I've always loved Springsteen and the E street Band. Lots of great musicians in the E Street Band. RIP Danny.

E Street Band member Danny Federici dies at 58 - Yahoo! News

E Street Band member Danny Federici dies at 58

Fri Apr 18, 4:45 AM ET

NEW YORK - Danny Federici, the longtime keyboard player for Bruce Springsteen whose stylish work helped define the E Street Band's sound on hits from "Hungry Heart" through "The Rising," died Thursday. He was 58.

Federici, who had battled melanoma for three years, died at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. News of his death was posted late Thursday on Springsteen's official Web site.

He last performed with Springsteen and the band last month, appearing during portions of a March 20 show in Indianapolis.

"Danny and I worked together for 40 years — he was the most wonderfully fluid keyboard player and a pure natural musician. I loved him very much ... we grew up together," Springsteen said in a statement posted on his Web site.

Springsteen concerts scheduled for Friday in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Saturday in Orlando were postponed.

Federici was born in Flemington, N.J., a long car ride from the Jersey shore haunts where he first met kindred musical spirit Springsteen in the late 1960s. The pair often jammed at the Upstage Club in Asbury Park, N.J., a now-defunct after-hours club that hosted the best musicians in the state.

It was Federici, along with original E Street Band drummer Vini Lopez, who first invited Springsteen to join their band.

By 1969, the self-effacing Federici — often introduced in concert by Springsteen as "Phantom Dan" — was playing with the Boss in a band called Child. Over the years, Federici joined his friend in acclaimed shore bands Steel Mill, Dr. Zoom and the Sonic Boom and the Bruce Springsteen Band.

Federici became a stalwart in the E Street Band as Springsteen rocketed from the boardwalk to international stardom. Springsteen split from the E Streeters in the late '80s, but they reunited for a hugely successful tour in 1999.

"Bruce has been supportive throughout my life," Federici said in a recent interview with Backstreets magazine. "I've had my ups and downs, and I've certainly given him a run for his money, and he's always been there for me."

Federici played accordion on the wistful "4th Of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)" from Springsteen's second album, and his organ solo was a highlight of Springsteen's first top 10 hit, "Hungry Heart." His organ coda on the 9/11-inspired Springsteen song "You're Missing" provided one of the more heart-wrenching moments on "The Rising" in 2002.

In a band with larger-than-life characters such as saxophonist Clarence Clemons and bandana-wrapped guitarist "Little" Steven Van Zandt, Federici was content to play in his familiar position to the side of the stage. But his playing was as vital to Springsteen's live show as any instrument in the band.

Federici released a pair of solo albums that veered from the E Street sound and into soft jazz. Bandmates Nils Lofgren on guitar and Garry Tallent on bass joined Federici on his 1997 debut, "Flemington." In 2005, Federici released its follow-up, "Out of a Dream."

Federici had taken a leave of absence during the band's tour in November 2007 to pursue treatment for melanoma, and was temporarily replaced by veteran musician Charles Giordano.

At the time, Springsteen described Federici as "one of the pillars of our sound and has played beside me as a great friend for more than 40 years. We all eagerly await his healthy and speedy return."

Besides his work with Springsteen, Federici played on albums by an impressive roster of other artists: Van Zandt, Joan Armatrading, Graham Parker, Gary U.S. Bonds and Garland Jeffreys.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Throat Injury Silences Jordin Sparks - AOL News

Throat Injury Silences Jordin Sparks
    'American Idol' Winner Forced to Leave Alicia Keys Tour
    AOL
    Posted: 2008-04-21 16:20:29
    Filed Under: American Idol, Celeb Body Issues, Music News, TV News
    (April 21) - "American Idol" winner Jordin Sparks has been ordered to go on vocal rest and will miss all April concert dates on Alicia Keys' tour after being stricken with a throat injury that doctors warn could cause permanent damage to her vocal cord.
    'American Idol' champ Jordin Sparks has been ordered not to sing after suffering a vocal cord hemorrhage that doctors say could cause permanent damage to her voice. The injury forces the 18-year-old singer to drop off the Alicia Keys tour until at least May, her record label said.

"Because of the risk of permanent vocal cord damage, Sparks has been ordered to strict vocal rest and will not be able to perform anywhere until her condition improves," a spokesman for the Bryce Jordan Center, the arena at Penn State where the 18-year-old singer was to perform Sunday, told the Centre Daily Times.

Sparks also had to cancel an Earth Day concert on the National Mall in Washington D.C. scheduled for Monday and will have to wait to join the recently-launched Alicia Keys national tour. She was awarded the opening slot on the tour -- her biggest break since winning "Idol."

"Jordin Sparks is on vocal rest and is expected to make a full and complete recovery," according to a statement from 19/Jive Records. "Sparks has been going nonstop over the past two years and now she's going through the normal course of learning how to manage and care for her voice."

According to WCBS, Sparks had to cancel an appearance last week on the "Live With Regis and Kelly Show."

At 17, Sparks became the youngest winner in "American Idol" history when she bested Blake Lewis in the sixth season of the hit talent show.

She's been watching this year's contest as well and likes what she sees in several of the guys.

"I really like Jason Castro," Sparks recently told MTV News. "I like his look, and I love his vulnerability. He goes out there, and if he messes up, he's just like, 'Oops.' But I like David Cook too. I think the guys are where it's at this year. I love you, girls — please don't get me wrong — and I could be totally wrong, because the show is so unpredictable."

Who does she think will be her successor?

"It's going to be either David Archuleta or David Cook," she said before admitting that she believes Cook will ultimately be the winner.

Her debut self-titled album has slowly picked up steam since its November release, with her latest single "No Air" climbing to No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 last week.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Link Here

Kenny Chesney stuck to the old adage that the show must go on – despite a bone-crushing incident in front of the crowd during his sold-out performance Saturday night in Columbia, S.C.

As he was making his entrance before 44,424 members of the audience at Williams-Brice Stadium, the country star, 40, apparently got his right foot stuck in the lifting device of an elevator hoisting him into the middle of the arena, Country Music Television News reports.

As the closing act – following such other top names as LeAnn Rimes, Gary Allan, Luke Bryan and Brooks & Dunn – Chesney made his entrance as the band played "Live Those Songs."

But he was soon wincing in obvious pain, noted Columbia's The State newspaper, and he needed about 30 seconds to pry himself free.

The band kept playing until Chesney, his hand holding his knee, began his oepning number. He didn't mention the injury during his performance, though it was clear to those at the concert that he was limping and holding his knee during musical breaks in the show, says CMT.

The State observed that he hobbled through and grimaced during "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problems."

Doctor Dispatched
    Immediately after the concert, a team physician from the University of South Carolina attended to Chesney, whose boot was cut off and his knee treated, to minimize damage. The full extent of his injury is not known.

In a statement issued after the show, which was part of his part of his "Poets and Pirates" tour, Chesney said, "I took one look at those fans, and there was no way I wasn't going on. Sometimes the energy and the adrenalin pull you through. They had come to rock, and there was no way I was sending them home with anything less than the best of what me and my guys came to do – put it all out there and give them back at least as good as they gave us."

Crediting the local fans for his strength, Chesney concluded with, "Honestly, through the pain, through all of it, Columbia, S.C., totally got me through."
    True example of the motto "The show must go on!" OUCH!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

In the "supposed" warm south where it's been cold for weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2951399;
    Link Here

True example of the motto "The show must go on!" OUCH!

Glad to see that this article was posted. I was at the concert on Saturday night. I was already a huge Kenny fan but I gained a million times more respect for him for doing that. He played a 2 hour concert in that much pain and I still cannot believe he did that. I would have been disappointed had he canceled, but I totally would have understood. I can't see many artists doing that. You can't say that he doesn't care about his fans! He still put on an amazing show and I am so glad I went! If anyone wants to hear more about what happened, PM me!

I would love to see these videos.
    Nashville, Tennessee - Nashville Area News - Tennessean.com
    Ono in fight over copyright of rarely seen Lennon video

By DENISE LAVOIE
    Associated Press Writer

BOSTON (AP) -- They are rare, intimate images of John Lennon just before the breakup of the Beatles: He's hunched over a piano writing songs, smoking pot, joking about putting LSD in President Nixon's tea.

Almost four decades after the footage was shot at Lennon's estate in England, his widow is in court, fighting to keep the images private.

World Wide Video LLC, a Lawrence, Mass.-based company, claims it owns the 10 hours of raw footage, but Yoko Ono claims she is the rightful owner. World Wide Video has filed a federal lawsuit against Ono, claiming Ono's attempts to stop the company from publicly showing the footage is a copyright infringement.

At preliminary hearing in the case Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Boston, arguments on Ono's motion to dismiss were scheduled for May 21. Both sides also agreed not to show the film while the case is working through the courts.

The footage, which has never been shown publicly in its entirety, was shot Feb. 8-10, 1970, by Anthony Cox, Ono's husband before her marriage to Lennon in 1969.

It shows Lennon writing two songs that would later become hits - "Remember" and "Mind Games" - and shows him performing the song, "Instant Karma," according to a description in The Boston Globe, which was allowed to view the videotapes for a March 2007 story.

The footage also includes some tender moments, such as when Lennon blow-dries his wife's hair, and when Lennon and Ono play with Julian Lennon and Kyoko Cox, children from their previous marriages.

Lennon, who was 29 when the film was shot, also talks about the couple's drug use.

"We've resurrected hope in ourselves, and we're hoping to spread it around a bit - to tell people you can get off speed, you can get off H (heroin), you can get off pot. You know, because whatever they say, you do get hooked on it," Lennon says.

World Wide Video produced a two-hour documentary, "3 Days in the Life," using the footage, and planned to show it at a private school in Maine in 2007. The screening was scrapped after the company received a stop order from Ono's lawyers, claiming copyrighted ownership of the videotapes. The producers had previously shown excerpts from the film four times, including at William Paterson University in Wayne, N.J., and at entertainment and media conferences in New York and Connecticut.

Ray Thomas, executive producer of the documentary, said World Wide's principals are Beatles memorabilia collectors who hoped to show the film to high school and college students.

"We thought it would make a phenomenal educational and historic record for kids who didn't live in the '60s," Thomas said. "This is one of the greatest composers of the 20th century and you're getting an intimate look at his life - from blow-drying his wife's hair to playing with the cat to performing `Instant Karma.'"

Ono's Boston lawyer, Jonathan Albano, declined to comment on the lawsuit.

In court documents, Ono said she had a "clear and absolute" agreement with Cox when he shot the footage that it would never be "commercially exhibited, commercially exploited or released."

And Ono said she purchased all rights to the videotapes for $300,000 in 2002 from a broker, Anthony Pagola.

But the principals of World Wide Video - John Fallon and Robert Grenier - say the sale to Ono was invalid, and that it owns the videos and copyright after buying them from Cox for $125,000 in 2000.

In its lawsuit, World Wide claims that shortly after its purchase, the tapes were stolen by a former employee, John Messina, whom World Wide later sued. World Wide claims in its suit that in a settlement agreement, Messina agreed to return copies of the tapes and to help them locate the original set of tapes.

Messina, who attended the court hearing Wednesday, vigorously denied stealing the tapes and said he believes Ono is the rightful owner.

"These are Yoko's private tapes," he said. "Why would a widow want to take pictures of private moments from a happier time and have them put out there for the public to see?"

Fallon and Grenier claim that in 2001, Pagola approached them and threatened to destroy the tapes unless World Wide agreed to let him be a broker who would find a buyer.

World Wide signed an agreement with Pagola, but said in its lawsuit that Pagola was to find a buyer "for the purpose of development and production of a full-length documentary motion picture."

Fallon and Grenier claim that Pagola sold the tapes and copyright to Ono without their permission and that he forged their signatures on the sale agreement.

Pagola, who is named as a defendant along with Ono in World Wide's lawsuit, could not immediately be reached for comment Wednesday.

I thought this was cool as hell.
    Amateur singer gets more than a feeling from Boston - USATODAY.com
    By Marco R. della Cava, USA TODAY
    See how this rock 'n' roll fantasy sounds: One day you're trying to get Home Depot shoppers to apply for in-store credit. The next you're rehearsing with Boston and getting ready for a national summer tour.

"I never could have dreamed this," says Tommy DeCarlo, 43, Boston's new Brad Delp-channeling frontman, who is taking leave from his credit manager job at a Charlotte Home Depot to perform with the band. "That first gig is going to be something."

Bands ranging from AC/DC to Lynyrd Skynyrd have found new singers in the wake of tragedy (Delp committed suicide last year), inevitably choosing road-tested replacements. DeCarlo's rocking Cinderella tale includes the fact that he never has even been in a band.

"I did sing After the Lovin' at my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary," says the affable DeCarlo, who is married and has two teenagers. "I think they enjoyed it."

All Boston founder Tom Scholz knows is he can't believe his ears. "During rehearsals, it can get downright eerie," he says. "I forget it's not Brad. It makes me feel like someone was at work up there."
    FIND MORE STORIES IN: North Carolina | Boston | Christmas | Idol | YouTube | MySpace | Cinderella | Roll Hall of Fame | Filipino | Museum | Lynyrd Skynyrd | Lovin | Tom Scholz | Brad.

In tribute to Delp, DeCarlo posted MP3 files of himself singing Boston over a karaoke soundtrack on his MySpace page. (He had hocked his prized keyboard in 2006 to buy his kids' Christmas gifts.) An impressed visitor to his page urged him to contact Boston management and offered up an old e-mail address. Doubtful but with nothing to lose, DeCarlo sent off a note with a link. Destiny intervened.

"My wife was at her computer playing our tunes, and I asked her whether it was us playing live," Scholz says. "She said, 'It's some guy in North Carolina singing your songs.' I said, 'I know Brad's voice, and that's Brad.' She turned it up, and only when I heard the backing track did I know it wasn't us."

Scholz flew DeCarlo and his family up for an audition, which led to a Delp tribute show and the tour invite. DeCarlo and the band's other new member, Stryper frontman Michael Sweet, will appear on Boston's next album in early 2009.

Finding a new band member online "could happen more and more, because you no longer have to be anywhere specific to audition," says Howard Kramer, curatorial director of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. "Journey just found their new lead singer (Arnel Pineda) in a Filipino cover band that put their stuff on YouTube."

Even if DeCarlo's Boston idyll proves short-lived, he's unlikely to forget this summer. His colleagues won't let him.

"It's like we've got our own American Idol winner right here in our store," says DeCarlo's manager, Mark Ortiz. "When he plays nearby, we'll all be there, orange aprons on."
    Here's a link to his MySpace with his vocals. MySpace.com - Tommy DeCarlo - CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Classic Rock - www.myspace.com/tommydecarlo
    It's amazing how much he sounds like Brad Delp.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

My S.O. should be happy now! Shania split from hubby
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Maybe we will start seeing her again. I'm with your S.O. on this one bama!

FOXNews.com - Report: Another Woman Caused Shania Twain Split - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

Report: Another Woman Caused Shania Twain Split
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Shania Twain and her music producer husband are separating after 14 years of marriage due to his relationship with another woman, several sources told People magazine.

Twain's estranged husband, Robert "Mutt" Lange, told People the split was "an unfortunate thing." He added, "It's literally just a growing apart, that's all."

But sources close to the situation told People that Marie Ann Thiébaud, a longtime secretary and manager of the couple’s chateau in Switzerland, was at the center of the break-up.

"Mutt and Marie Ann left their spouses for each other and are still in a relationship," one source told People.

Lange denied the claims to the magazine.

"It's absolutely not the reason [for the separation]," the famously reclusive producer told People when asked about the alleged affair. He also denied that he was in a romantic relationship with Thiébaud: "I'm not, no," he said. "It's not true."

Twain, 42, and Lange, 59, married in 1993. They have a 6-year-old son, Eja (pronounced "Asia") D'Angelo.

An insider told People that Twain is "devastated. This came out of left field ... She loved him."

Twain is best known for her hits "Man! I Feel Like A Woman!" and "You're Still the One." Lange produced three of Twain's albums: 1995's "The Woman in Me," 1997's "Come on Over" and 2002's "Up!"

+ Reply to Thread