+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 66 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344454647484950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous Music News

Re: Miscellaneous Music News

Cole is full of crap.

When music awards become more about "sending messages" than the music itself, then something very fundamental has gone wrong. The music ITSELF is about communicating messages. The awards are about recognizing the music that communicates best. Not the music that "sends the right message".

I'm sure Natalie means well, especially being an addictive personality herself, but this ain't the way to express it.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Maybe we should make a dedicated Amy Winehouse topic and call it "They Tried To Make Her Go To Rehab: The Amy Winehouse Topic".

FORT Fogey

This story about Aretha Franklin really knocks her down a bit in my book.

Comcast.net Music - Franklin Slams Beyonce Grammy Intro

She is angry that Beyonce, having the opportunity to perform with Tina Turner, showered accolades on her? I won't take anything away from Aretha -- she's an incredibly talented singer and deserves the accolades she gets for it. But Tina is an entirely different package -- a performer who sings and dances incredibly well - even more amazing these days when you consider her age. She is someone who overcame a nightmare of a life and came out of it stronger and better. To acknowledge and celebrate that does not diminish anyone. But to whine that she was celebrated for it ... that diminishes many. Get over yourself Aretha!

Aretha for this.

Natalie Cole for inferring that the Grammy Awards should be about "role models", instead of music.

And way back from Christmas time, for her horrible ungracious entitled behavior on that Choir show, Patti Labelle.

The old Divas are really living up to the "Diva" name.

I wonder if they realize (or care) that they are polluting their legacy by coming off as a group of shrill old bats. They're too used to being blatantly adored, and decades of worship tossed at them has swelled their egos far beyond the basic Diva levels they started at.
    Last edited by Krom; 02-13-2008 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2792731;
    This story about Aretha Franklin really knocks her down a bit in my book.

Comcast.net Music - Franklin Slams Beyonce Grammy Intro

She is angry that Beyonce, having the opportunity to perform with Tina Turner, showered accolades on her? I won't take anything away from Aretha -- she's an incredibly talented singer and deserves the accolades she gets for it. But Tina is an entirely different package -- a performer who sings and dances incredibly well - even more amazing these days when you consider her age. She is someone who overcame a nightmare of a life and came out of it stronger and better. To acknowledge and celebrate that does not diminish anyone. But to whine that she was celebrated for it ... that diminishes many. Get over yourself Aretha!
    You're actually putting more substance in her complaint than was intended. Aretha wasn't upset because accolades were being applied to Tina Turner. She was simply upset that Beyonce referred to Tina as "The Queen", which is Aretha's proclaimed title. If Beyonce hadn't called her The Queen you would have heard nothing from her. It's that petty.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey

It is petty, but she made a big enough deal about it to issue a press release. Queen Elizabeth has never complained about someone else being the queen of soul. Aretha shoudl be able to handle there being another queen in music too.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2792931;
    It is petty, but she made a big enough deal about it to issue a press release. Queen Elizabeth has never complained about someone else being the queen of soul. Aretha shoudl be able to handle there being another queen in music too.
    Gee. Next thing you know, Stacy Ferguson will be upset that someone else used "Fergie" and "The Dutchess".

Only not.

Aretha comes off as doubly ridiculous.

And there's a good argument that as good as Aretha is, if circumstances had been slightly different, any number of other similar artists could have had her career. She's good, but so are a dozen other lesser known soul singers like Mavis Staples or Bettye Lavette.

It's like a disease the ego some of these ladies build up. I mean I want to barf when I hear Patti Labelle refer to herself in the third person as "Miss Patti", with her nose firmly up in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2792931;
    Show some class Aretha.....we know you're still around

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;2794248;
    Show some class Aretha.....we know you're still around
    How could we miss her? She was dressed as Big Bird.

FORT Fogey

I know it is mean, but given the way Aretha is behaving, she deserves for it to be said ... when you look at the way that Tina Turner apperaed on stage - her figure, her clothes, her face / hair - the complete package, couple it with the way she moved on stage, and the way she sounded, and then you compare it to Aretha ... yes, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Beyonce crowned the "queen" correctly. I've come to realize this week that its a shame the music world didn't pick up on that sooner.

+ Reply to Thread