+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 66 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous Music News

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Link Here

Singer Charlotte Church pregnant
    Updated 3/1/2007

LONDON (AP) — Welsh singer Charlotte Church, who has performed for President Clinton and Pope John Paul II, announced Thursday that she is pregnant. According to her website, Church and rugby star-boyfriend Gavin Henson are "delighted."
    "In an ideal world, we would not have made this announcement so early in the pregnancy," the website said. "However, due to recent speculation and persistent questions from the media about this most private of matters, Charlotte felt she had no choice other than to go public and she was keen to ensure that her fans had the opportunity to read the truth here first."

Speculation began about Church's pregnancy when she was seen avoiding alcohol at her 21st-birthday party.

Church, who sang at the closing ceremonies of the 2002 Olympic Games in Salt Lake City, hosts her own show on British television. She was named GQ's Woman of the Year in 2005.

Spotted performing on a TV talent show at ll, Church released her first album, Voice of an Angel, in 1998. The collection of listener-friendly songs, including Danny Boy,Amazing Grace and Andrew Lloyd Webber's Pie Jesu— Church's signature tune — sold more than 600,000 copies in Britain and topped the classical album chart.

Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Church is apparently a scandal magnet in the U.K., despite her "churchy" name and performing for the Pope, and all of that. Apparently her "avoiding alcohol" is like... a major story because its a huge behavior change for her.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Is Madonna's daughter old enough to buy her own clothes? And why exactly can't Madonna monitor her daughter's wardrobe to ensure her clothes fit? ETA: the title of the link is about the Grey's set but there were other stories mixed in with that one and those are the one's I posted.

'Grey's Anatomy' stars fuming over spinoff - Gossip: The Scoop - MSNBC.com

Madonna, who once wore cone bras and girdles in public, is upset because her daughter wears tight pants. “My daughter is going through a phase of wearing jeans so tight she can’t bend her knees in them,” the Material Girl told the Daily Mail. “I have a go at her and say, ‘Can’t you wear something else? You have a closet full of clothes and you wear the same pants every day. And please wear a belt because I don’t want to see your butt crack when you bend over.’”

Other music news from same website

Does Nick Lachey’s sweetie want to follow in her predecessor’s footsteps? Vanessa Minnillo, who hosts MTV’s “TRL,” wants to record an album. “Vanessa has always loved entertaining, and making a record would be a dream come true,” a friend of the couple tells In Touch Weekly. “Now she’s asking Nick to help her get started.” Minnillo has hired a vocal coach and Lachey took her to Clive Davis’ pre-Grammy party, reports the mag, to meet some music bigwigs. . . .

Cameron Diaz raised eyebrows when she got into an “intense 40-minute talk” with Elisha Cuthbert, who is rumored to be the subject of the song “What goes Around Comes Around” by Diaz’s ex, Justin Timberlake, reports Us. Cuthbert lamented that the tune didn’t tell the whole story, an insider told the mag, but Diaz assured the actress that she was “only an inspiration.”
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2263951;
    Does Nick Lachey’s sweetie want to follow in her predecessor’s footsteps? Vanessa Minnillo, who hosts MTV’s “TRL,” wants to record an album. “Vanessa has always loved entertaining, and making a record would be a dream come true,” a friend of the couple tells In Touch Weekly. “Now she’s asking Nick to help her get started.” Minnillo has hired a vocal coach and Lachey took her to Clive Davis’ pre-Grammy party, reports the mag, to meet some music bigwigs.
    I really think she's so overrated and her attitude/behaviour after she started dating Nick was pretty bad. If this is true, it'll be a flop. She can stick to her hosting duties for various shows.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    No doubt, ET will share every "intimate" moment of Vanessa pursuit of a music career with the world.

Mariah Carey Goes Country

From The Tennessean.
    Monday, 03/05/07
    Mariah Carey plays Second Fiddle for movie shot in town

By BEVERLY KEEL

Mariah Carey sang country music in Nashville last week. Don't get excited — it was just for a movie.

She was filming the independent film Tennessee with Lance Reddick, Ethan Peck and Adam Rothenberg. She plays a waitress and aspiring country singer who flees her controlling husband to join two brothers on their journey from New Mexico to Tennessee to find their estranged father.

On Thursday, director Aaron Woodley and crew were at Second Fiddle at 420 Broadway, where Mariah performed "Right to Dream," a song for the movie she co-wrote with Willie Nelson. She was joined by dreamy Mickey Raphael, who plays harmonica for Willie. "People were weeping on the crew when she sang it," Aaron says. "It's very moving, especially in the context of the film and her character."

On Monday, they shot in Dunlap, Tenn., and on Tuesday filmed at Cumberland Caverns in McMinnville. "I always knew Tennessee was lush and picturesque and incredibly cinematic, but on film it is even more than I expected," Aaron says. "The film is called Tennessee, and I hoped that I captured it in all its glory. I hope I did the people of Tennessee proud because I love this state, and I love Nashville."

Midweek, they filmed a railroad scene in downtown Nashville, and even rode boxcars from Nashville to Lebanon a couple of times. "There I am, sitting on the edge of a boxcar with Mariah Carey, breezing through town. We slowed down to go over a bridge, and there were people sitting in cars. I think they did a double-take: 'I swear I just saw Mariah Carey on a boxcar.' "

They had planned to shoot on Lower Broadway Thursday, but swapped with the Second Fiddle because of the rain. So they wrapped the week Friday night on Lower Broad.

"As we've been shooting downtown, I've been constantly wishing I wasn't working because everybody is having a great time," Aaron says. "I love country music and wanted to walk away and listen to some bands and drink some beer."

He got his wish after Friday's shoot wrapped.

Kanye West

Kanye West gets $3,900 meal (chef travel extra)

LONDON, England (AP) -- If Kanye West were to walk into the British Raj's dining room and order dinner, it would cost the rapper about $17.50. But since the restaurant is delivering -- from Wales to New York -- it's going to cost a bit more.

For a feast of onion bhajees, chapati breads, biryanis, pappadums, a specially prepared fish dish and vegetables on the side, the bill will top $3,900, plus travel and accommodation for the restaurant's head chef.

The meal was requested for West and seven guests by a music promotion company, the restaurant said Sunday. The company had previously ordered food from the restaurant near Cardiff, Wales, for an after-show party for a Snoop Dogg concert in London.

But this is different. Normally, they don't deliver outside a 3-mile radius of the restaurant, which is about 150 miles west of London.

"I was horrified when I heard about this request because of the distance involved," said the restaurant's head waiter, Tarik Mohammed. "It's a long way, and our reputation is on the line. We are doing every thing to make sure the food gets there safely and every thing is aboveboard."

The meal will be prepared, cooled, shrink-wrapped and packed in dry ice in the British Raj's kitchens and -- along with head chef Kaysor Ahmed -- will be helicoptered from Wales to London's Heathrow Airport on Tuesday.

From there, the chef is to hop a flight to New York -- monitoring the food's temperature all the way -- clear customs, and head for Manhattan, where the meal is to be served during a meeting Wednesday.

The fee was arrived at by estimating the restaurant's takings for two evenings, the time Ahmed will be away, Mohammed said.

To his defense, it looks like from reading the article it isn't Kanye that's requesting this meal..its a music production company!

http://www.katu.com/news/local/6367017.html

Troopers clock 'Blues Traveler' singer's SUV going more than 100 mph

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - Blues Traveler singer and harmonica player John Popper was arrested near Ritzville after the vehicle he was riding in was clocked going 111 mph, the Washington State Patrol said Wednesday.
    Popper, 39, was arrested Tuesday afternoon on Interstate 90 near the Spokane/Lincoln county line, the Washington State Patrol said.

Inside the black Mercedes SUV, officers found a cache of weapons and a small amount of marijuana, the Patrol said.

Popper, who lives in Snohomish, Wash., is the owner of the vehicle, which was being driven by Brian Gourgeois, 34, of Austin, Texas, said state patrol Trooper Jeff Sevigney.

Sevigney confirmed that Popper was a member of the popular band and that the pair was traveling from Texas to Washington

While the two men were administratively booked into the Adams County Jail in Ritzville, they were released on their own recognizance, Sevigney said. That's because Popper lives in the state and the crimes involved are misdemeanors, Sevigney said.

Gourgeois was placed under arrest for reckless driving and, after troopers reportedly smelled marijuana, Popper was arrested for drug possession, the Patrol said.

A police dog searched the vehicle, finding numerous hidden compartments. Inside those compartments were four rifles, nine handguns and a switchblade knife. They also found a Taser and night vision goggles.

Popper told officers he collected weapons, the Patrol said.

The vehicle also had flashing emergency headlights, a siren and a public address system, the Patrol said.

"Popper indicated to troopers that he had installed these items in his vehicle because (in the event of a natural disaster) he didn't want to be left behind," the Patrol said.

Officers also recovered a small amount of marijuana and a marijuana pipe. The vehicle was seized.

Popper achieved fame as a harmonica player and frontman for Blues Traveler. The band won a Grammy award in 1996 for the song "Run-around," which Popper composed.

Popper recently formed a group called The John Popper Project with DJ Logic, which released an album in 2006 and is scheduled to go on the road later this month.

Yowza. Tasers?
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Link Here

Viacom sues YouTube over copyrights
    By SETH SUTEL, AP Business Writer

MTV owner Viacom Inc. sued the popular video-sharing site YouTube and its corporate parent, Google Inc., on Tuesday, seeking more than $1 billion in damages on claims of widespread copyright infringement.

Viacom claims that YouTube has displayed nearly 160,000 unauthorized video clips from its cable networks, which also include Comedy Central, VH1 and Nickelodeon.

The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in New York, marks a sharp escalation of long-simmering tensions between Viacom and YouTube and represents the biggest confrontation to date between a major media company and the hugely popular video-sharing site, which Google bought in November for $1.76 billion.

YouTube's soaring popularity has been a cause of fascination but also fear among the owners of traditional media outlets, who worry that YouTube's displaying of user-uploaded clips from their programs — without compensation — will lure away viewers and ad dollars from cable and broadcast TV.

Viacom is especially at risk because many of its shows, which include "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart," "The Colbert Report" and "South Park" are aimed at younger audiences who also are heavy Internet users.

The lawsuit came nearly six weeks after Viacom demanded that YouTube remove more than 100,000 unauthorized clips after several months of talks over licensing arrangements broke down. YouTube agreed at the time to comply and said it cooperates with all copyright holders to remove programming as soon as they're notified.

But since then, Viacom has identified more than 50,000 additional unauthorized clips, Viacom spokesman Jeremy Zweig said.

In a statement, Viacom lashed out at YouTube's business practices, saying it has "built a lucrative business out of exploiting the devotion of fans to others' creative works in order to enrich itself and its corporate parent Google."

Viacom said YouTube's business model, "which is based on building traffic and selling advertising off of unlicensed content, is clearly illegal and is in obvious conflict with copyright laws."

Viacom said YouTube has avoided taking the initiative to curtail copyright infringement on its site, instead shifting the burden and costs of monitoring the video-sharing site for unauthorized clips onto the "victims of its infringement."

In a statement, Google said it believed the courts will agree "that YouTube has respected the legal rights of copyright holders."

"We will certainly not let this suit become a distraction to the continuing growth and strong performance of YouTube and its ability to attract more users, more traffic and build a stronger community," Google said.

Other media companies have also clashed with YouTube over copyrights, but some, including CBS Corp. and General Electric Co.'s NBC Universal, have reached deals with the video-sharing site to license their material. CBS Corp. used to be part of Viacom but has since split off into a separate company.

Universal Music Group, a unit of France's Vivendi SA, had threatened to sue YouTube, saying it was a hub for pirated music videos, but later reached a licensing deal with the company.

Bruce Sunstein, co-founder of intellectual property law firm Bromberg & Sunstein in Boston, said YouTube was still in the early stages of what was likely to be a "very long working-out of arrangements" with the owners of broadcast copyrights.

"Finding a way of peaceful coexistence is quite a struggle," Sunstein said. "Google's motto is 'Don't be Evil,' and you could argue that with YouTube that motto is wearing a little thin."

Besides damages, Viacom is also seeking an injunction prohibiting Google and YouTube from using its clips.

While YouTube has yet to generate much revenue, its online traffic has been growing rapidly. According to comScore Media Metrix, YouTube attracted 133.5 million visitors worldwide in January, up from 9.5 million a year earlier.

Google shares dropped $9.25, or 2.0 percent, to $445.50 in midday trading Tuesday on the Nasdaq Stock Market, while Viacom's Class B shares rose 47 cents, or 1.2 percent, to $40.04 on the New York Stock Exchange.

I really think it's ridiculous to expect there won't be any clips that wind up on youtube. I also firmly believe that youtube tends to improve ratings and awareness of shows. As well as creating an increase in interest for the shows, artists, videos that end up there. There should be a limit on the amount, but it shouldn't be to the point of eliminating a potential source of revenue.

+ Reply to Thread