+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Pop Star Reveals He's Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Art_930 View Post
    What bothers me is that he had to hide it in the first place and he was never on my list of potential husbands anyway, so who cares?
    It actually doesn't bother me all that much, because it seems to me that he must have known what he was getting into when he signed up for a boy band. He was young, not stupid, and I for one have to give him enough credit to think he knew what it meant.

I mean I don't think its totally unknown for members of popular bands, either male OR female, to hide marriages, for example, or at the very least still give a general impression of availability even if they don't intend to ever act on it.

I think its close to incontrovertible fact that people will respond less to someone who is in a... er... sexualized profession if they know that person can't even THEORETICALLY be theirs. It seems like human nature to me, just as it seems like someone has to make a deliberate choice in their career if they want to leverage their sexuality, and its probably not a crying tragedy if THEY choose to suppress their real nature for career advancement. That's not to say all bands are sexualized, or even all boy bands, but n'Sync was from the very beginning.

It sounds a lot like this was all his choice--both the hiding and the revealing. Which, given the fact that n'Sync hasn't been a going concern for a long time kind of leads to a big "so what?"

Got to wonder if this reinforces the whole stereotype that "Lance" is kind of a... er... common gay name though. I mean Lance Armstong had fought that one back in recent years.

The whole Reichen thing though? Ick. Couldn't Lance do better than that?

Quote Originally Posted by leogirl_21 View Post
    I was pretty shocked. I always saw Lance as the nice southern boy who was straight.
    So now he's simply a nice southern boy who's gay. That's all. No big diff. If Clay Aiken handled stuff like this a fraction as well, he'd be in the same boat--with nobody caring and/or actually lauding him.
    Last edited by Krom; 08-02-2006 at 06:31 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    It actually doesn't bother me all that much, because it seems to me that he must have known what he was getting into when he signed up for a boy band. He was young, not stupid, and I for one have to give him enough credit to think he knew what it meant.

I mean I don't think its totally unknown for members of popular bands, either male OR female, to hide marriages, for example, or at the very least still give a general impression of availability even if they don't intend to ever act on it.

I think its close to incontrovertible fact that people will respond less to someone who is in a... er... sexualized profession if they know that person can't even THEORETICALLY be theirs. It seems like human nature to me, just as it seems like someone has to make a deliberate choice in their career if they want to leverage their sexuality, and its probably not a crying tragedy if THEY choose to suppress their real nature for career advancement. That's not to say all bands are sexualized, or even all boy bands, but n'Sync was from the very beginning.

It sounds a lot like this was all his choice--both the hiding and the revealing. Which, given the fact that n'Sync hasn't been a going concern for a long time kind of leads to a big "so what?"
    Great point Krom, and one that is very true. I can remember them talking in the E True Hollywood Story about New Kids on the Block about how when one of those guys was dating Tiffany, they went to great lengths to ensure that rumors of them dating didn't even leak out. Also, if I recall, quite a long time went by with Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake dating before they were finally allowed to admit they were a couple and make appearances together. Marketing of a group like that very definitely relies on that whole "I could date him" dream ... especially when it is pre-pubescent girls buying into that dream and actually BELIEVING it could come true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    Got to wonder if this reinforces the whole stereotype that "Lance" is kind of a... er... common gay name though. I mean Lance Armstong had fought that one back in recent years.
    Well if the blind items in Page Six are accurate, Armstrong is reinforcing the stereotype - not fighting it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    Well if the blind items in Page Six are accurate, Armstrong is reinforcing the stereotype - not fighting it back.
    Oh? This right? - http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/08/02/164010.php

Hadn't seen that yet.

I gotta admit. There's got to be some kind of missing piece in that equation. I mean the parents can't possibly know when they pick the name. I mean its a very, er... phallic sounding name, but so are many others.

Anywho, so Lance Bass is gay. So what? That isn't going to make him a good singer.

As for Lance Armstong, apparently he's also hanging around Skanky McLohan: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/goss...p-337685c.html

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Well, Lance is gay.... that's not really a surprise..., if one of the Nsync was gay it was going to be Lance...., and it's good he accept himself...., the surprise would be if Justin was gay and not because that was bad, just because the whole britney thing....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678