+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The 50 albums that changed music

The 50 albums that changed music

http://picks.yahoo.com/picks/i/20060723.html Seizing the occasion of the album chart's 50th birthday, a panel of 7 fearless folk at the Guardian Online have served up a list of the 50 records that "caused a sea change in pop music." For each entry, they provide a "without this..." snapshot of what we'd be missing today if that particular work had never been recorded. It's kind of like revisionist history, Dick Clark-style (e.g., "without James Brown's "Live at the Apollo," "great chunks of hip-hop...would be missing.") The list does everything you want a best-of compilation to do: Turn you on to some new artists, spark absolute outrage over other entries, and create an amusing seating chart along the way (there's Kraftwerk jostling elbows with NWA, and Robert Johnson looking on from the other side). In the introductory essay, the judges quickly clarify that these musical revolutions weren't always "for the good." And when you get a gander of #21, you'll see what they mean.
    Here's the 50 albums.
    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/revie...821230,00.html

That's a pretty good list, actually! The Velvet Underground is at the top, just as they should be.

I knew you would enjoy that list Manny.

What! No Yanni!

Very good list indeed. I am glad to see Kraftwerk high on the list. I own quite a few of their albums.

I would never pretend to be a musical elitist but my only change would be to eliminate #48 (The Strokes) and pencil in U2- War. That album helped spawn a host of UK groups who used music as a way to express the political atmosphere of the day. Then again, it could be my bias showing through.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

JR.
    Unlike Speed, I am a musical elitist Sabbath needs to be higher.

I must be a musical ignoramus. I didn't know several of those albums. I also would've included The Beastie Boys "Licensed to Ill".

I thought the Stooges should have been higher, but eh, at least they're on there.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

No mention of the James Gang, one of the most underrated groups ever. Rides Again had some super stuff on it.

That's a good list - most of the albums mentioned I actually own and love dearly. The Velvet Underground and Nico is one of my all-time favourite albums, so I was very pleased to see it as number one. Pet Sounds should be higher up than Sgt Pepper, though, in my humble opinion. Oh, and it goes without saying that placing The Smiths at 42 is a disgrace.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I may be out of touch with the rest of you, but I would have liked to see Tea For The Tillerman by Cat Stevens included.

+ Reply to Thread