+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sirius satellite radio

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2248947;
    Whereas I totally understand the concept of satellite radio (have had it for quite sometime in the restaurants I've managed) my confusion comes about with the different receivers available. I'm wanting Sirius due to NASCAR. I want a docking station for home and also work (shh, don't tell anyone ) I'm not all interested in a theater surround sound type system. I just want to be able to listen to good music without interruptions. I'm not into ipods or MP3 players. Maybe that would change someday in the near future but I'm just starting to amass a good size CD collection. Basically I'm not organized enough to maintain an MP3 library and all that's involved. Quite frankly, it seems overwhelming to me.
    Sooo, suggestions anyone on which way to proceed?
    I had also started to acquire a bunch of CD's, but to be honest when I got XM I stopped buying. I figure I can hear anything I want & a bunch of stuff I haven't heard in years. I have my home receiver plugged into my AUX. port on my Home Theatre system & it works great.

JR.
    Unk, you should probably wait until this is finalized before spending on something new.

If the deal falls apart, you might like something like this set up

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Unk - you will LOVE the Nascar coverage on Sirius - you can listen to the drivers talk to their crew. It's a must for Nascar groupies

I have the Sportster 4 (there's a rewind feature - up to 45 minutes - like Tivo) and I think it can dock into a boombox like JR listed above. It's by Sirius - bought mine in Circuit City.

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp;2254778;
    Unk - you will LOVE the Nascar coverage on Sirius - you can listen to the drivers talk to their crew. It's a must for Nascar groupies

I have the Sportster 4 (there's a rewind feature - up to 45 minutes - like Tivo) and I think it can dock into a boombox like JR listed above. It's by Sirius - bought mine in Circuit City.
    I used to listen to NASCAR when XM had it, the channel with the drivers talking was pretty cool. Unk, if you consider XM they have a portable type that is sort of a walkman, but you can actually program it to tell you when your favorite artist is playing on any XM station. This stuff is pretty cool. My only real concern is that I have 2 XM radios that won't receive the Sirius signals, how are they going to work this out?

Re: Sirius satellite radio

Boy did I ever have to go back in time to find this thread. But, now that Sirius & XM have merged, I thought it might be a good time to see what those of you that have satellite radio think about all the changes.

Stations that were once available to one service or the other but are now available to both thanks to the merger include:
    BB Kings Blues Channel
    Siriously Sinatra/ American Standards
    Elvis 24/7
    Radio Margarittaville
    Eminem's UnCut Hip Hop
    AC/DC 24/7
    Gratefuld Dead 24/7
    Led Zeppelin 24/7
    Accoustic Music - Singers/Songwriters
    Little Stevens Garage Bands
    Bruce Springstten 24/7
    Kenny Chesney 24/7
    Willie Nelsons Traditional Country
    Action Sports/Punk/Ska

Some of these 24/7 stations are temporary & usually change out when a band such as AC/DC releases something new.

And Sirius now gets one of my favorite XM Channels...Deep Tracks...incredible, usually unplayed Rock & Roll, you'll hear simply stunning stuff you didn't even know existed.

And Sirius also gets Wolfman Jacks old shows on Sat. Night, Casey Kasem's countdowns from the 70's & 80's & shows hosted by Bob Dylan & Tom Petty.

All in all I think this selection is now better than it has ever been & is even more worth the money.

FORT Fogey

All in all, I like the way they've worked the merger. I think the best part is the way that for the exclusive programming such as Howard Stern, Opie and Anthony, the sports leagues, etc they offer a way that you can get everything from the service you didn't subscribe to at first, but if you woudln't take adavantage of it, you don't have to pay extra for it. I still need to print out the channel line up so I can sample some of the channels that are newly available for me. I will say that with the music on channels that both had which are now merged (for example Flight 26 / The Pulse) the music SEEMS to have taken a downturn to me. But I will fully admit that COULD be that I was looking for a change, and just saw more of a change than there actually was. So I am going to give that some time before I complain about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3240991;
    I will say that with the music on channels that both had which are now merged (for example Flight 26 / The Pulse) the music SEEMS to have taken a downturn to me. But I will fully admit that COULD be that I was looking for a change, and just saw more of a change than there actually was. So I am going to give that some time before I complain about it.
    I actually wasn't looking for the change - didn't even realize it was happening until I discovered one of the presets I had saved was no longer available. However, I have been particularly disappointed in Alt Nation lately. I loved this channel and although I cannot put my finger on anything specific, I am just not hearing the out-of-the-mainstream quirky music that originally drew me in. I think I am hearing more generic-hard-rock instead. I also need to look to see if the deejays I liked have left, because I suppose that could also account for some of the change.

I am highly disappointed that Backspin in gone. I enjoyed that channel frequently!!

On the other hand I have seen an upward swing in the music on Heart & Soul, - this one I have been enjoying more since the change. I also like the addition of The Heat, which I prefer over their other Hip-hop/Rap channels.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

I was able to get my NBA games the last couple of seasons on Sirius... suddenly this season they were gone. Apparently, they've gone to XM and I have to pay extra for them. That's very irritating as NBA was one of the factors that made me go with Sirius in the first place.

To be honest, I haven't had time to sit and study the stations and reset my presets. I do know that one of my favorites - The Bridge - (which was once replaced by E-Street Radio and then reappeared on another channel) has once again been replaced by Zeppelin Radio. So I am not happy about that.

WooHoo!! I heard this morning that on Jan 15th Sirius is bringing back the Backspin channel (old school rap/hip hop) that I have been missing!!!
    For XM subscribers they are also bringing back a popular disco channel...

Sirius XM Radio Inc. - Disco and Old School Hip-Hop Channels Back by Popular Demand on SIRIUS XM Radio

I don't know if anyone else ever checked out the Cinemagic channel for a change of pace or not, but as of this morning it is back on the air. Good stuff if you like Movie Soundtracks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast