+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sirius satellite radio

When i got my new Dodge Caliber this fall it came with a Sirius radio and free Sirius for a year.
    I love it, and plan to subscribe to it when the free year is over.
    DevilTwin
    Trekker and Geocacher

We have both Sirius and XM and I really have no preference. Customer Service for both is something to be desired, I have had run ins with both.

What I am interested in knowing is how this will affect the Canadian side, the programming and the Customer Service.

For anyone who is interested, this just arrived via email.......
    February 19, 2007

To: SIRIUS Subscribers

Today is a very exciting day for SIRIUS customers. As you may have heard, SIRIUS Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio are merging to form the nation's premier audio entertainment provider.

This combination of our two offerings will benefit you - our loyal listeners. As a single company, we'll provide superior programming to you every day with the best of both SIRIUS and XM. Currently, XM and SIRIUS broadcast a wide range of commercial-free music channels, exclusive sports coverage, news, talk, and entertainment programming. Howard Stern. Oprah and Friends. The NFL. MLB. NBA. ESPN. CNBC. Fox News. Additionally, the combined company will be able to improve existing services such as real-time traffic information and rear-seat video as well as introduce new ones.

After shareholder and regulatory approvals, we anticipate that the combination will be finalized by the end of 2007. Until then, both companies will continue to operate independently. We will continue to provide you with the uninterrupted service - as well as the outstanding customer support - that you have come to expect and enjoy from SIRIUS. We do not anticipate any changes in your service during the merger process, however, please call our customer care team on 1- 888-539-7474 should you have any questions.

We look forward to the many benefits this combination will offer and continuing to make your listening experience an enjoyable one - offering more of the Very Best Radio on Radio.

Stay tuned,

Mel Karmazin, CEO
    This is the main portion of the email but there is a bunch of legalese at the end it of it regarding additional information to be filed with the SEC etc.

This is coming from the US side of Sirius, I haven't received anything from Sirius Canada or XM Canada about it. My only issue at this point is they mention NFL, MLB & NBA but no NHL

Quote Originally Posted by imajunkie2;2248277;
    For anyone who is interested, this just arrived via email.......

This is the main portion of the email but there is a bunch of legalese at the end it of it regarding additional information to be filed with the SEC etc.

This is coming from the US side of Sirius, I haven't received anything from Sirius Canada or XM Canada about it. My only issue at this point is they mention NFL, MLB & NBA but no NHL
    I would think that the NHL would travel with the XM package along with the PGA tour. I, as an XM person, would be excited to get the NFL. I think this could be good for everybody in the long run. Although they are going to need to work out issues such as XM radios can't pick up Sirius signals & visa versa. But, my newspaper this morning said all of this should be done & all regulatory issues addressed by 6 to 9 months.

I'm not familiar with the Sirius offernings, but XM has a lot of really great in studio concerts that they broadcast live. I have heard groups like Jethro Tull & others. I think you Sirius listeners would enjoy some of these.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2248528;
    I'm not familiar with the Sirius offernings, but XM has a lot of really great in studio concerts that they broadcast live. I have heard groups like Jethro Tull & others. I think you Sirius listeners would enjoy some of these.
    I hate the thought of putting money in Howard Stern's pocket. That was another reason I went with XM

Quote Originally Posted by Boston_Bill;2248541;
    I hate the thought of putting money in Howard Stern's pocket. That was another reason I went with XM
    That was my exact thinking as well. I started listening to Howeird when he was still with DC101 in Washington DC back in 81, & he is still doing the same old tired schtick today. But, in the end I thoroughly enjoy XM & I would have chosen them over Sirius regardless.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    I love my Sirius and received that same email today as well.

I have the Sportster 4 in my car. The FM transmitter that comes with it is AWFUL. We bought the FM Modulator (about $20 on ebay) and it is perfect now. I love the display and the ease of use.

As far as channels, I love Hair Nation and Alt Nation - it's such a great mix - one of my other favorites is channel 9 - the pulse. I like country music, so I listen to channel 60 a lot, but because it's new country, you don't always get a mix and that drives me crazy!

I hope when they merge we end up with everything!

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2248528;
    Aside from the "name" personalities, they are pretty much the same.

If this passes, I'm thinking anything that's too similar will be phased out. This could be a very good thing for those of us that have both. I'd love to have just one receiver/payment.

Whereas I totally understand the concept of satellite radio (have had it for quite sometime in the restaurants I've managed) my confusion comes about with the different receivers available. I'm wanting Sirius due to NASCAR. I want a docking station for home and also work (shh, don't tell anyone ) I'm not all interested in a theater surround sound type system. I just want to be able to listen to good music without interruptions. I'm not into ipods or MP3 players. Maybe that would change someday in the near future but I'm just starting to amass a good size CD collection. Basically I'm not organized enough to maintain an MP3 library and all that's involved. Quite frankly, it seems overwhelming to me.
    Sooo, suggestions anyone on which way to proceed?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast