+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sirius satellite radio

I have an XM SKyfi2, a car kit, and a Delphi boombox. Pretty convenient to pop back and forth. I installed the car kit myself in about ten minutes. Sure, it's not as pretty as a custom install, but it's not horrible either. (I hope to get my next car with it already installed.) I was concerned about the antenna, but I snaked it up through the trunk and it works beautifully.

I almost changed to Sirius because I wanted the Jimmy Buffett channel (his "radio Margaritaville") but I can listen to that online anyway, so I decided it wasn't worth the switch.

I will say this, they have messed up my billing countless times, for whatever insane reason. I'm talking bills that were triple what they should be. Everytime I have called about it, they give me three months free, and I've had free service now for about 6 months, and currently have it free until March 2007. I have been told that at that time, they'll give me a year's service for $77. I know many many people who have gotten the year's service for that price, so I believe they'll follow through on it. If not, I'll just try to cancel once again and probably end up with more free service. I can't really complain about their goofy billing when they've compensated me like that.

You might do a google search for any friend & family codes, (for whichever system you choose) I did that last year for a few gifts, and got the Delphi Skyfi2 & boombox with 3 months activation included for $59 (incredible price) and two of the Delphi Skyfi2s and car kits with 3 months activation included for $39.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Man, I wish you guys were speaking English!!!.......
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

One thing I forgot to add it that I would definitely get a remote control. Whether in the house or in the car you are going to want one.

Also as far as accessories go, tell the salesperson what where you are going to put it & they'll hook you up. You are going to need a home kit or a car kit. They aren't expensive though.

The subject of a merger between these two was brought up once before, some thought it might happen & some thought not. But, here is a pretty good article on how they are getting closer all the time.

http://geobay.com/6be837

Obstacles to an XM, Sirius Merger

To go beyond talk of joining forces, the rival satellite radio services must get in tune with regulators, shareholders, and their own executives.

When they first launched at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas in 2001, the two major satellite service companies XM Satellite Radio and Sirius Satellite Radio were bitter rivals.

So bitter, in fact, that executives from both companies took every chance they could to smack each other down in public. In press conferences and statements, they'd decline to refer to each other by name. And though their spaces on the trade-show floor were near each other, the walls of each were positioned so that you couldn't see one when standing in the space of the other.

Half a decade later, officials from XM and Sirius are talking about each other a lot—and now it's in reference to a possible merger. Public statements by Sirius (SIRI) Chief Executive Mel Karmazin, its Chief Financial Officer David Frear, and XM (XMSR) Chairman Gary Parsons indicate the companies are circling each other, wondering if it would be worthwhile to bury the hatchet.
    Satellite Slowdown

The public chatter gives rise to a host of questions that will have to be worked out when and if the two sides consummate a deal. For starters, would a merger make financial sense, how would it be structured, and will regulators concerned about the formation of a monopoly let a deal go through? And importantly, will larger-than-life executive personalities get in the way?

Sirius' Karmazin fired the start gun on a round of merger speculation in June when he expressed interest in buying XM at a fair price. And judging from the slump in XM's stock, the price is getting fairer all the time. The shares closed at $14.81 on Dec. 7, giving XM a market value of less than $4 billion, or about half of what it was at this time a year ago. Slowing sales growth and losses that have widened each year of its existence have hammered the stock, making it one of the worst performers on the NASDAQ stock market this year.

The picture at Sirius isn't much better. Sirius stock closed at $3.88 on Dec. 7, up 5 cents, or more than 1%, on the merger talk. It had taken a beating two days earlier on news that the company wouldn't add as many subscribers as expected this year (see BusinessWeek.com, 12/5/06, "Sirius Sings the Holiday Blues"). The company said it would finish 2006 with 5.9 million to 6.1 million customers, vs. a previously forecast 6.3 million.
    Numbers Favor a Deal

Not everyone's convinced the companies should or will get together. "It's all hype sparked by lowered guidance from Sirius," says Chad Bartley of Pacific Crest Securities in Portland, Ore. "I think that to talk about a merger at this point in the satellite radio growth curve is premature."

Still, others say a merger may happen in 2007. Companies led by Karmazin have made more than 20 major acquisitions worth a combined $80 billion, wrote Kit Spring, analyst with Stifel Nicolaus in Denver, in a research report issued Nov. 27. A successful merger would create as much as $7 billion in shareholder value and carries a risk of destroying only $1 billion, he notes. "Unlike most media mergers, we calculate revenue and dramatic expense synergies in a merger—around 50% of the combined market enterprise values," he wrote.

The potential for cost savings is clear. Customer-acquisition costs at Sirius amounted to $183 a head in its most recent quarter, vs. $60 a head at XM. Combining the marketing and sales operations would likely cut costs at both. And the companies' combined heft would help them negotiate better terms on manufacturing, purchases, and partnerships with auto companies eager to install satellite radio devices in cars.

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    Wow, thanks everyone... I'm going to talk to the salesperson at Target to see what they offer (and I'll probably try to grab one at 10:30 on a Tuesday night or something, when they aren't mobbed with customers) but will probably end up with Circuit City, I didn't know about their installing option! Woot! That was great advice, thanks. Probably going with Sirius, because the NFL is the be all and end all to my dad.

Thanks again!
    Could does not mean should

Techsan by the grace of G texasgirl73's Avatar
    I love my XM radio!! I have the Roady XT, got it last year for Christmas, and it's so much fun! The install in the car was pretty easy. Some of the wires aren't real attractive but I have em tucked away fairly well. And then I just had to get the home kit, so I can take it back and forth. And, the remote control is a must! Even though I still listen to regular radio some, there's nothing like satellite radio. No commercials, and I can listen to all the hair metal I care to
    *Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes*

I was visiting my parents this morning & when I left for the 35 mile trip to my house I turned on XM 40, the Deep Tracks Station. They played to whole 34 minutes & 46 seconds of the Allman Brothers Mountain Jam from the Eat A Peach album. Only on Satellite radio could this type of thing happen. Now that was a trip worth making. I love my XM.

This news is just hitting the wires.

Sirius Radio to merge with XM - Yahoo! News

Sirius Radio to merge with XM

39 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The two main U.S. satellite radio providers, Sirius Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio on Monday said they would merge in a stock-for-stock deal, a move that has been long expected in the young industry.

XM and Sirius said they would combine to create a company with an enterprise value of $13 billion, including $1.6 billion in net debt.

Under the terms of the deal, XM stockholders will get 4.6 shares in Sirius.

Veteran media executive Mel Karmazin, currently Sirius CEO, will be CEO of the combined company, and Gary Parsons, now chairman of XM, will hold the same position in the new company. The deal will need regulatory approval.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I don't have either one of those razor but I had just heard the same thing on my radio.....for those that have it...will this be a good thing or a bad thing?
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2247975;
    I don't have either one of those razor but I had just heard the same thing on my radio.....for those that have it...will this be a good thing or a bad thing?
    I was wondering that also. I have XM, I love their baseball coverage and alot of their music choices. Does this mean we will eventually just have one company and get all the programming?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast