+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sirius satellite radio

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    I told my husband I want XM for my birthday in Sept. but I want the receiver for the house too. I'm tired of the same old stuff on the radio. I could get fancy and ask for the kind that has an mp3 player too but I know it would be out of our budget and I already have an ipod shuffle. I wonder if I can record songs to the computer if you can listen to XM on the computer?

I also opt not to get Sirius because of Howard Stern but to each their own.

So it sounds like most of you are happy with either one. I guess the main thing is how good a deal I can get on the radio itself.
    They have a new XM Roady model that I saw at Circuit City for $75.

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave View Post
    I've really been thinking about doing this since Air America was taken off the air here in early June.

Any recommendations on a player? I don't need the top of the line or anything.
    Whether you decide on MX or Sirius, get one that you can take from the House to the Car. It's easy to take in & out & then you have it whether you are driving or just sitting at home.

Quote Originally Posted by JR. View Post
    You don't have to hide Ana, you are not alone
    Nope, not alone at all.

Redbird - Sirius is 12.99/month. You can get a receiver for under $100
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Since this thread was started I just had to add that I would be very surprised if both of these companies continue to exist side by side. I would think sooner or later one will buy out the other. If I had to put money on it I say XM survives, but that's just me.

OTiS... take a peek at the different players available and then really consider looking at what's available on ebay. People there are offering some great deals on brand new, still in package products for cheaper than you can buy in the stores. For XM, I'd still look at the receivers by Delphi and Pioneer.

And for XM you also get the $12.95/mth deal and receivers can also be had for under $100, depending upon what equipment you're looking for. I have a Delphi MYFi (along with the XM that's in my car.)

For AOL users, you can listen to a lot of XM radio right online. DirecTv also has XM radio stations.

razorbacker... I tend to believe both will coexist, as I see this as the radio of the future, truly. I don't see it becoming a one company monopoly at all.

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    I wonder if I can record songs to the computer if you can listen to XM on the computer?
    You can, they both stream online, but not all channels are available.

You can get around that though. My Sirius set up is a Sanyo boom box, and I run a line from the headphone jack to the computer's sound card. You can then use some sort of recording software (I use Audacity, it's free) to grab whatever. With a plug-in, you can then convert the files to mp3.

Definitely look around for deals on radios, there are plenty. http://www.myradiostore.us/ is a pretty decent one, and sometimes the closeout sales on http://shop.sirius.com/ and http://www.xmradio.com/catalog/index.jsp
    Last edited by JR.; 07-12-2006 at 06:42 PM.

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    No matter what I need to know, my FORTies have my back!

I'm thinking of getting my dad a Satellite Radio for Christmas.

I'm heavily leaning toward Sirius' "Sportster" model (though I hate to "support" Stern, myself) because it seems like you could rewind and get updates on all the games, and that's what my dad would be most into.

I must confess I know very little about this technological phenomenon.... If I buy him a receiver what else does he need?
    -- The car kit that comes with some of the models?
    -- The home kit?
    -- A subscription card?
    -- Those "install cards"?

I know that if he has to wait for anything (missing parts or service activation), he's just going to take it back. If we can get it to work that day, he'll keep and love it.

Also, does Imus have an XM or Sirius show?

Thanks!!!!
    Could does not mean should

FORT Fogey
    I have XM, and only in my car. So there are probably people around here who can give you better information than I can regarding all the equipment that you need. I'll just say that the most important thing for you to do is to determine what your dad will use it for the most often. It sounds like he's a big sports fan. Each of the two services has different sports leagues contracted. XM has MLB, Sirrius has the NFL. I know that XM has NHL, but I don't know if that's exclusive or not. They both have a variety of sports talk stations. But if your dad has a definite preference of one sport over another, make sure you get him the service that carries that sport.

Equipment-wise, I'd say that his personal preferences also come in to play. Does he only listen to radio in the car? At home or in the office? There are all sorts of ways you can listen to satellite radio, so you can really customize the componets you have to your listening habits.

If you go the car install route - it takes patience to install it yourself, but it is definitely do-able. But if you only go the car route, it'll have to be fully installed before he will be able to use it. So if giving him the ability to use it on Christmas day is important, you may want to give him a home receiver, or one that he can move easily from the car to a boombox type device.

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaBelle27;2172213;
    No matter what I need to know, my FORTies have my back!

I'm thinking of getting my dad a Satellite Radio for Christmas.

I'm heavily leaning toward Sirius' "Sportster" model (though I hate to "support" Stern, myself) because it seems like you could rewind and get updates on all the games, and that's what my dad would be most into.

I must confess I know very little about this technological phenomenon.... If I buy him a receiver what else does he need?
    -- The home kit?
    -- A subscription card?

I know that if he has to wait for anything (missing parts or service activation), he's just going to take it back. If we can get it to work that day, he'll keep and love it.

Thanks!!!!
    I just bought a second XM & had it installed in my car. Circuit City did it for about $50 in less than an hour. Well worth it to save the frustration (I'm not all that handy myself). The one I have in my house is just plugged into the auxillary input on my stereo & the little antennae is pointed out the window in my front door. You only need a Southern exposure & you are ready to go. I absolutely love XM, they have over 170 channels & now that it is Christmas season they have 5 channels of Holiday Music. I have friends that bought Sirius because they wanted the NFL station. I don't think you will regret either one.

XM has a lot of talk stations. Political left & right. I believe Imus is on XM. Oprah is also on XM.

On XM music stations, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, & Graham Nash all have weekly shows.

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaBelle27;2172213;
    -- The home kit?
    -- A subscription card?

Thanks!!!!
    I have both XM & Sirius because I am insane, and there isn't much of a difference as far as music goes, they pretty much have the same types of stations. Like razor & Veruka have mentioned, sports and talkradio personalities are company exclusive, and I don't think Imus has a show on either.

You can see the channel line-ups here:
    http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/full-channel-listing.xmc

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1139320914821

Take a look and see which one he'd be more into.

What you'll need depends on where he'll want to use it. I suggest getting a home kit or boombox to go along with the car kit. That way, he'll be able to take the unit with him, it's just a matter of popping it in and out of the cradles. Or, I'm pretty sure all units have a built-in FM transmitter, so you can just tune the stereo to a specific channel (like 88.1) and it will come through. You can activate, subscribe, and schedule payments online, and it only takes a few minutes to get it up and running.

myradiostore.com/ has some really nice package deals on XM stuff.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast