+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Name one song that you can hear anytime and still love it...

Here's another song I never get tired of hearing: "Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks. Admittedly, it's a bit cheesy, but it clearly does something to me since I get goose bumps and a huge lump in my throat whenever I hear it. The other night, when I was watching an episode of Millennium on DVD, a psycho killer was singing a sappy karaoke version of it as he was about to kill his victim. Even when placed in such a surreal, morbid context, I reacted to it. I think it's a combination of the super-sad lyrics and the wistful melody. "Goodbye, my friend, it's hard to die when the birds are singing in the sky"...

ETA: I had no idea it was Jacques Brel who wrote it. That explains a lot. I love Jacques Brel.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 05-19-2006 at 04:58 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Here's another song I never get tired of hearing: "Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks.
    Oh joy, there's someone else on the planet who loves this song and for what seems like the same reason. The combination of sappy melody and morbid lyricism is like a...I was trying to think of some combination of chocolate with something unlikely that I would actually enjoy, but can't. Anyway, I've been defending my appreciation of this song for thirty years and will continue to do so until it's hard to die, when all the birds are singing in the sky, now that spring is in the air...
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

One for me is Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers. Heck I don't even know what the song is about, I just love it.

For me, and I'm sure a lot of people, a song evokes a memory of a place/time in your life that was good. Its strange but I was trying to think of songs that remind me of something negative and that is hard to do.

Also want to add Ave Adore-smashing pumpkins, In the wee small hours-Frank S. and A little less conversation-Elvis. Although I am not an elvis fan I do like that one. AND Little Sister-Elvis. That reminds me of my childhood.
    Last edited by livin4reality; 05-19-2006 at 10:24 AM.

FORT Fan
    McArthur Park. Only the Richard Harris version. The cheesiest song ever written, but puts a lump in my throat every time.

Edited because the lump in my throat prevented me from spelling correctly

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    There are several thousand songs that I never have and likely never will tire of, so I will list the one song that advertising has not managed to kill for me - Lust for Life. I don't know why this is as the 17,456 times I have heard it in various cruise and beer commercials over the past few years should be causing a knee-jerk reaction of screaming horror, but I still like it. Though I haven't actually listened to the album since 2000.
    I love "Lust for Life." (Remember the way they used it in "Trainspotting"?!) Had it played at my wedding, in fact! The song, not the movie, I mean!

Sappy songs I like that'll make the kids on this board go, "Huh?" "Seasons in the Sun," "Color My World," "Billy Don't Be A Hero," "One Tin Soldier"... Yes, I'm that old...

"At this Moment" by Billy Vera and the Beaters

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    I love "Lust for Life." (Remember the way they used it in "Trainspotting"?!) Had it played at my wedding, in fact! The song, not the movie, I mean!

Sappy songs I like that'll make the kids on this board go, "Huh?" "Seasons in the Sun," "Color My World," "Billy Don't Be A Hero," "One Tin Soldier"... Yes, I'm that old...
    Lois Lane...I love those songs.....I have no idea your age but I'm almost 40 and I still listen to those songs......Wonder what ever happened to Bo Donaldson who sung "Billy Don't be a Hero?" That song would bring me to tears when I heard it....and to date me even more...I have several of those songs you mentioned on a 45 single!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Off the top of my head, I always love to hear Roxanne, by Sting.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post

You just can't group Color My World in with these other songs. It is a great song, while the others are just listentoable. How's that for a word?

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama View Post
    Lois Lane...I love those songs.....I have no idea your age but I'm almost 40 and I still listen to those songs......Wonder what ever happened to Bo Donaldson who sung "Billy Don't be a Hero?" That song would bring me to tears when I heard it....and to date me even more...I have several of those songs you mentioned on a 45 single!
    Hey, those are collectibles and one day will be worth something!

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    You just can't group Color My World in with these other songs. It is a great song, while the others are just listentoable. How's that for a word?
    I was just listing songs I can hear anytime and still love. I used to be able to play "Color My World" on the piano...don't think I could even hum it now. But I remember when I was little, it was the theme to a lot of the older kids' proms etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast