+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What was the FIRST music video you ever saw?

MRD

What was the FIRST music video you ever saw?

Qboots just reminded me of something in talking about Rod Stewart's night on the town album in another thread and I thought I would ask this question.

What is the first music video you ever remember seeing???

Mine: This was BEFORE MTV (back when we rode dinosaurs to school "before MTV" does that make me ancient or WHAT?) and it was in the late 1970's. Saturday Night Live used to occasionally use music videos (we didn't know WHAT the heck they were called back then) instead of a live music act.
    So the first video I remember was Hot Legs by Rod Stewart on an old SNL show. I don't remember exactly what year, but it was between 1976 and 1980 as I was in highschool and I remember thinking: THIS IS COOL!

Up until then, we only had American Bandstand, Soul Train, Midnight Special and Don Kirshner's Rock concert on tv and they featured live acts or pre-corded music with no artist present and no video.

I was so blown away by it and wanted more. Of course, I did "get my MTV" a few years later and it played almost 24/7 in my apt. with my roommates. (of course this was back when MTV ONLY played videos)

But it will be interesting to hear what others first video was as there is such a range of ages on this site.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I think mine must have been Michael Jackson's "Thriller". It scared the bejesus out of me. I didn't have MTV growing up, but I do remember watching that one. Oh, and Kiss (with makeup). Madonna's "Like a Virgin" is another one of my earliest music video recollections, as well as "Opposites Attract", where Paula Abdul is dancing with a silly animated cat.

Wasn't "Walk of Life" with Dire Straits the first video to be played on MTV when it first started? I think I learned that from Trivial Pursuit. Or... wait a minute... it might have been "Video Killed the Radio Star" (I've forgotten the group), which would have been very appropriate.

Fun thread! We sure are a diverse bunch here, so I'm looking forward to seeing all kinds of responses. Just as long as no-one answers "Britney" because then I'll start feeling old!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I don't remember which was the first video I saw, but I know that the first video played by MTV was "Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Tubes.

I certainly remember the hoopla surrounding "Thriller". That was an awesome video.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

FORT Fogey
    Video Killed the Radio Star was by the Buggles, not the Tubes.

I don't remember the very first video I saw, but I do remember that the first video I saw on MTV at my house was Separate Ways by Journey. (the one where they're following the woman around on a dock)

I can remember pre-MTV, hearing that Casey Casem was going to do a version of American Top 40 on TV, and being totally baffled by it. I can remember wondering if they were just going to show the record spinning around as he played each song. After all, how on EARTH could they show music on TV?!?!

I remember the very first time I ever saw music Videos. A friend had recorded some onto VHS for my mom. I was hooked. I saw: Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel. I didn't even get that Music videos even existed. I thought that it was just the coolest claymation someone did and set it to music. I would rewind it and watch it again and again. Yeah.... we grew up getting 2 fuzzy channels After that I watched the rest of the tape and saw
    Take on me. By Aha. and Give It Away by the Red Hot Chilli peppers. Blech. Man, they have sure improved over the years.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

"Sledgehammer" IS a cool video, ClosetNerd. I remember being intrigued by it, too. You and I are part of the generation that remembers when MTV was actually showing music videos. I hardly ever watch MTV these days - I watched it religiously whenever I had access to it in the late 80's-early 90's, though - but when I do, it's always some lame reality show or a commercial for ring tones for your cell. They really should consider changing the name.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Ace of Bace - I Saw the Sign

I remember jumping up and down when seeing this, I loved the song and when i saw the music video, i turned the tv to maximum volume and just sung my heart out lol it was my first so i was very excited and it was all very new to me that music was on tv lol

Drive - Incubus

I thought it was pretty cool. I love Incubus.
    Check out my avatar It's Chad Michael Murray!

MRD
    When MTV first came out, not a lot of cable systems carried it, so they came up with a VERY effective advertising strategy on other channels to get people to call their Cable providers and DEMAND MTV.

" I WANT MY MTV" became a national catchphrase and even appears in the song: Money for Nothing by Dire Straits.

THe first few years were exciting as videos were new to most artists and they really got creative trying to outdo each other. Some silly, a lot of fun stuff. And 24 hours of music video. I don't think my stereo got used a lot there in the early to mid-80's.

Before MTV, we put on the tv with the sound off and played "records" and would listen to music and watch soundless tv. Probably how someone figured out how to watch the Wizard of Oz set to Dark side of the moon.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Probably some video by The Backstreet Boys or something like that.
    Remember that you only live once, and if you do it just right, once is just enough.

BE the change you wish to see in the world. - M. Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast