+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best 80's songs?

I think they've been mentioned but the Go-Go's were hot during the 80's. I loved them! "We got the beat!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom View Post
    Actually that was a band called Boys Don't Cry. Men Without Hats are better known for Safety Dance and Pop Goes the World, both worthy of being on your list!

I'd suggest some others:

Love and Rockets - Ball of Confusion, So Alive

Tones on Tail - Go! (Club Mix)

Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi is Dead, Ziggy Stardust

Sisters of Mercy - Lucretia My Reflection, Vision Thing, More, This Corrosion

The Mission (Mission U.K. in the U.S.) - Butterfly on a Wheel

Front 242 - Welcome to Paradise, Headhunter

Joy Division - She's Lost Control, Transmission, Love Will Tear Us Apart

Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen in Love

Siouxie & the Banshees - Dear Prudence, Cities in Dust, Spellbound

Heaven 17 - Let Me Go

Yazoo (Yaz in the U.S.) - Don't Go, Situation

Sorry if most of those are a little on the darkside, but that was the 80's for me.
    Chorita - Excellent choices. You just brought back a lot of memories. Siouxie, Tones on Tail, Bauhaus...I need to go scour itunes. Time to download.

Quote Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
    Chorita - Excellent choices. You just brought back a lot of memories. Siouxie, Tones on Tail, Bauhaus...I need to go scour itunes. Time to download.
    How did I never hear of these groups?? Were they U.S. bands? Is there a place to go to listen to snippets for free?

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    How did I never hear of these groups?? Were they U.S. bands? Is there a place to go to listen to snippets for free?
    They were U.K. bands (the 80's was the second British Music invasion). You would probably be familiar with the music if you heard it, even if not familiar with the band. They're all very MTV's 120 Minutes, modern/post modern/alternative pop.

U.S. bands I'd add to an 80's soundtrack would be:

Smithereens - Blood and Roses, A Girl Like You

Plimsouls - A Million Miles Away (Valley Girl Soundtrack)

REM - Can't Get There From Here, Gardening At Night, ETC

X - Burning House of Love

The Pixies - Monkey Gone to Heaven
    Last edited by Chorita KaBoom; 03-16-2006 at 07:51 PM.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

I grew up in S. California and listened to Rodney on the Rock from the late 70's on. He was often the first in the US to play a lot of UK bands as well as some small time punk bands. I have a cabinet full of records by bands that most people have never heard. Some of my favorite music to date. I just need to get a new record player...

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Is there a place to go to listen to snippets for free?
    Sorry, I should have answered this sooner. If you use iTunes you can listen to 30 second clips of each of them for free on the iTunes Music store. iTunes is a free download.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

80's Music Trivia--Fill In The Blanks

GeektheGirl your party sounds like its gonna be a blast! Hope you take some pics to share with us all! The 80's was the best decade for music. Highschool years 83-87. Wheeeeeeee!

My friend sent this to me, and while I do well with song titles or band names, lyrics is not a strong point. Try this quiz and see how well you do. I got 59.5.

www.yetanotherdot.com/asp/80s.html
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Here are my offerings:

Turning Japanese - The Vapors
    Call Me - Blondie
    White Hot - Red Rider
    Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
    Ashes to Ashes - David Bowie
    Love Stinks - J. Geils
    Hold on Tight - E.L.O.
    Goody Two Shoes - Adam & the Ants
    Heat of the Moment - Asia
    6 Months in a Leaky Boat - Split Enz
    Tainted Love - Soft Cell
    Come Dancing - The Kinks
    I Want a New Drug - Huey Lewis & the News
    Legs - ZZ Top
    Footloose - Kenny Loggins
    Don't Forget Me When I'm Gone - Glass Tiger
    In Your Wildest Dreams - Moody Blues
    I Love Rock & Roll - Joan Jett
    Total Eclipse of the Heart - Bonnie Tyler
    Livin' on a Prayer - Bon Jovi
    Touch of Grey - Grateful Dead
    Kokomo - Beach Boys
    Devil Inside - INXS
    We Didn't Start the Fire - Billy Joel
    Summer of '69 - Bryan Adams
    Diana - Bryan Adams
    Stand - REM
    Orange Crush - REM
    It's the End of the World as We Know It - REM
    Last edited by Qboots; 03-17-2006 at 02:19 AM.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Man, all these great songs really make me wish I could have really been around in the 80's. I was around, alright, but I spent the first part of the decade in diapers and the other in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles t-shirts. No leg warmers for me, certainly no parties. Ah well, that's what tomorrow night is for.

Awesome lists, Chorita KaBoom! I love alternative music from the 80's, both British and American. In fact, I have a Joy Division poster (the promo one for Love Will Tear Us Apart) right above my computer. Alternative music doesn't usually go down all that well at parties, though: just the other weekend, I was tackled by a 250 lbs guy when I put on Deanna by Nick Cave at a party. He wouldn't let me near the stereo again. I'll definitely sneak in a few alternative gems, though.

Will everyone be dressing 80's too? Leg warmers, big hair (boys and girls lol!), Members Only jackets, cordoroy (sp?) pants, designer jeans, mini skirts, lots of blush, eyeliner, and lipstick, punk rock hairdo's. Ahh, good times
    You bet! Sadly, I haven't been able to find any leg warmers, or even shoulder patches, but I've found an oversized bright pink sweater with poufy sleeves that just might do the trick. Add a mini skirt, some really big hair, a little (a lot) of pink lipstick, blush and tons of blue eye shadow and I'll feel (and look!) like I've been beamed straight from 1986. I've also been toying with the idea of going as a popculturally relevant person from the 80's: either as one of Robert Palmer's back-up singers in the Addicted to Love video (it's from the late 80's, right?) since that look (bright red lipstick, hair slicked back into a ponytail) is pretty easy to pull off with what I have at home, or as Ally Sheedy in The Breakfast Club (lots of black eyeliner, tousled, black hair - good thing my hair is already dyed! - and black clothes. The whole 80's Goth thing). Alexis from The Dynasty would be fun, too. What do you all think?

Don't forget to throw in the theme from Miami Vice and Beverly Hills Cop, as well as Ghostbusters and other popular songtracks from movies and tv shows during that time period.
    Oooh, and the theme from Dallas! And Dirty Dancing! And Flashdance! And Fame!

Thanks so much for your input, everyone. Too bad you all can't come to the party!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    GeektheGirl your party sounds like its gonna be a blast! Hope you take some pics to share with us all! The 80's was the best decade for music. Highschool years 83-87. Wheeeeeeee!

My friend sent this to me, and while I do well with song titles or band names, lyrics is not a strong point. Try this quiz and see how well you do. I got 59.5.

www.yetanotherdot.com/asp/80s.html
    That was fun, I got 60.3 but would have got more if I hadn't spelled a few things wrong! I had a brain freeze on some of them until I saw the answer and then was like

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast