+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name that Tune

Name that Tune

I started this thread because there are SO many more musically "smart" people at FoRT than I can even pretend to be!

I'm hoping that we can use this thread to ask questions about tunes in commercials, on TV shows or performers (in general) that can help the helpless (like ME!) find the songs they are after.

Here's my question:

It's the song Over the Rainbow, sung by a Hawaiian guy who I heard had died. This rendition of the song is haunting and was widely used in commercials, but I never, ever knew who sang it. Any help out there?
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    God Bless you, lildago!!! I have wanted this CD for years, and no one even knew what I was talking about! I just ordered it from amazon....THANKS, again, lildago!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Thanks for the providing the Amazon link, lildago.

After thinking 'what a big guy' seeing the cover art, it was still sad seeing that he'd died, probably before I'd ever heard his voice.

There are some quite moving passages in the reviews, especially the first one. He truly connected with "Over the rainbow/ What a wonderful day" with the public, but this anecdote suggests he'd deeply connected with it himself:

"I read up on IZ, and learned IZ called his producer and said there was a song he had to record. He showed up at the studio at midnight with his ukulele -- and, in 5 minutes, created "Over The Rainbow/Wonderful World."

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Wasn't "Over the Rainbow" also in "50 First Dates" with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore?? I loved that song and I'm so glad you asked about it lambikins....I'm gonna have to buy the CD now!

I have to admit tho when I hear that song it makes me sad feeling.....does it with anyone else?
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Who sings it?

I need some help with something. I tried googling the lyrics I heard but really didn't get anywhere. I was just walking by a neighbor's apartment and he was playing a song on his stereo and I was hoping to find out who the artist is. The only lyrics I heard were "Gotta ask yourself a question. Where are you now?" This line was repeated over and over. Anybody have a clue? This is a good thread for anybody who has heard a song and needs help figuring out the artist.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

There's actually a thread like this somewhere... I can't remember the title, but I know I've used it before.

That's James Blunt's "Wisemen".
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2155318;
    There's actually a thread like this somewhere... I can't remember the title, but I know I've used it before.

That's James Blunt's "Wisemen".
    Thank you. If it gets moved, moderator, just pm me with the new location.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

wow. Thanks Lambi for bringing this up. And Lildago for answering! I have never heard of this guy or his music before this thread and now I am officially hooked. So so glad my husband works at a music store.. I have many CD's to buy now!
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

FORT Regular
    coool

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast