+ Reply to Thread

Thread: John Michael Montgomery arrested

John Michael Montgomery arrested

I was surprised to read this - I really like his music. When my husband was in Iraq, his song "Letters from Home" was very personal for me.
    ______________________________ ______________________________

John Michael Montgomery arrested
    Country star booked on DUI, other charges
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Musi....ap/index.html

LEXINGTON, Kentucky (AP) -- John Michael Montgomery was arrested early Thursday and charged with driving under the influence and possession of a controlled drug, jail officials said.

The 41-year-old country singer also was charged with having a prescription drug not in its proper container, two counts of carrying a concealed deadly weapon, disregarding a traffic control device and improper turning, said Darin Kelly, a spokesman for the Lexington jail.

Kelly said the police report listed the controlled substance as Endocet, which is a painkiller.

Montgomery was arrested after being pulled over at an intersection of in the south end of town and was later released from custody several hours later, Kelly said.

The singer's publicist, Erin Morris of Morris Public Relations in Nashville, Tennessee, said Montgomery didn't have any immediate comment.

Montgomery, a Kentucky native, had several No. 1 hits in the 1990s including "I Love the Way You Love Me," "I Swear" and "Sold (The Grundy County Auction Incident)."

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    That seems like such a bogus charge, "not in it's proper container". I have my pain medicine in different bottles..like right now, I have in my desk 3 Advil in a prescription Vicodin bottle (along with a vicodin). So, technically I could be charged?

I've also put a couple of pain pills into a regular Advil bottle when traveling..because I don't want to take ALL of them. So what?
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Eek! That is not good. I am amazed at these celebrities that get addicted to this and that and run the chance of ruining their careers. Especially when they have great careers! What are they trying to run from by burying themselves in pills and a bottle?

As a sidenote, I loooooove his music...one of my favorite songs ever (and makes me tear up and sing out loud to it every time ) is "Hold on to me". That is exactly what I want in a relationship.

I hope he gets some help to clean up his act.

ETA: Maveno, I read your post after I posted...I'm not sure of the laws, but I think if you have a prescription drug, it has to be in its own labeled container. I'm not positive though...
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

What was the concealed deadly weapon? The prescriptions. By "not in it's proper container" I think they mean that he probably had them in a pill box or maybe only had 3 or 4 in a little baggie rather than carrying the whole bottle with him. I'm going to TX in April and I know I'm going to have to bring my Aleve and Tums with me and I was told by a friend to make sure to bring it in it's original container instead of stuffing them into baggies or a pill box.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl View Post
    What was the concealed deadly weapon?
    He had 2 guns. He says he has permits for them but didn't have them with him.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Yes you have to keep prescription drugs in the original pill bottle as that is the only proof you have that the drugs are actually yours and not purchased off the street. The pill bottle has to have a current date on it. I have known people who got in trouble for carrying legal prescriptions in an outdated bottle from their previous refill. How are the police to know that you have a prescription for the drugs?

I have multiple medications in one bottle in my purse, and sometimes in my luggage if I am travelling inside the country. I don't know if in the US there are different laws for different states.

They also said that the medication he was carrying was a controlled substance. From my knowledge, that is considered "different" than a presciption medication because it may be addictive or extremely strong. I was almost put on a particular med and my doctor had to fill out forms and send it to Ottawa as it was a "controlled" substance. We never went ahead as I decided it would be too strong or dangerous for me.

Still, JMM has great music
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I think you're right misskitty. My birth control is a prescription but I don't think it's a controlled substance - well in my life it is I guess lol!

But like you, I still like him and will listen to his music. But he does need to be careful because driving under the influence of some medications can be as bad as driving drunk. But the article wasn't clear about the "influence" he was driving under. I hope it's a wake-up call for him to be more careful.

This has dominated the news here. I live right outside of Lexington. The newscasters are giddy that they actually have something to report.

Anyway, I don't listen to his music, but I met him once when I worked at a hotel in Lexington. He's a nice guy. Shame on him for driving under the influence, though. :nono
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread